Not Just a Bartender

Story Info
She discovers yet another one of his skills.
3.2k words
4.36
14k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The streets were scattered with late night stragglers as Detective Logan and I made our way back to my unmarked vehicle. It was late -- pulling the cuff of my leather jacket back, looking down at my watch, squinting my eyes in the dark, 2:38 AM.

Absently I rubbed at my cheek, wincing at the sharp pain that was beginning to throb on the right side of my face, my left eye felt a tad swollen, my vision I noted was a bit cloudy as I tried to make out my issued car in front of us. Pain seared through my shoulder as my hand reached for the door handle now, the air I inhaled cut through me like a knife.

"Lieutenant, you should really get checked out before going home tonight." Logan looked at me once we were in the car. Leaning over he wiped something away from the corner of my lip.

"Your bleeding Lieutenant, you went rounds tonight with a perp that got away from us, but not before he gave you the beating of your life, we're going to have to explain the damage back that at Goth's to Commander Stargirl..." he rambled on waving his hands behind us at the now closed darkside bar.

Peering at my self in the rearview mirror I gasped at my reflection. I wouldn't have recognized myself in a million years. Granted, we were under cover, but still... My pale blue eyes were heavily lined with kohl-liner giving off a very dark and smoky impression to any on viewer. My hair, which I normally kept pulled back tight in a restrictive bun while working, now hung in loose wild ringlets around my face, flecks of gold dashing in and out of the light, the transformation all part of my recent assignment. Underneath trim leather pants I wore a sheer black body suit, the outline of a skimpy bra winking through...left little to the imagination and even less of hiding what was supported there. I closed my eyes briefly at the battle wounds on my face, certainly no permanent damage, but I was no pretty sight at the moment.

Revving the engine up , throwing the car into gear, speeding off into the night towards Digi-Cop-Land-Headquarters.

"Logan I'm fine." I said, no sooner had the words left my lips then another rush of pain hit me, queasiness soon following it up.

Inside my head I screamed, the night had blown up in our faces in one broken moment tonight. Thumping on the steering wheel as I drove back to headquarters to drop Logan off. We had set our selves back days tonight.

Detective Logan had tailed the perp for weeks, all night stake outs, bad food, stale coffee in cheap and stinky unmarked car.

All while I cozyed up next to the venomous slayer that stalked the late night haunts in search of promiscuous women...his specialty was punishing them for their heinous ways...after stalking his victims out for weeks, he'd lured them back to his posh hotel suite, offering them the finest of champagne, whispering just the right sweet words all the way, and perhaps just before a seductive dip into the hot tub on his terrace he would slip a deadly lethal drug into that bubbly champagne, but little did those women know, that after a just one glass of that..the heart rate would rapidly increase bringing on a cardiac-arrest.

I had found myself every night at the sleaziest of places, sipping a drink, enticing him into my web. After weeks of this tango we were known to the regulars at Goth's as a couple, but tonight while leaning up against a wall in a dark backroom talking together, he crouched down before me, sending my nervous into a violent storm, his lips were moving, I knew this from instinct and from the look in his eyes that he was saying something seductive, something that was suppose to have a life shattering effect on me -- a deafening silence filled my ears instead, I could feel the sweat trickling down my spin as his hands slowly ran up the length of my legs, coming into hard contact with my concealed weapon. Before I had chance to respond my face met with the back of his hand and then the other fist, I doubled over reaching for the weapon harnessed in my boot, just in time to catch the brunt of his forced knee in my face, I jerked my weapon free, my arm steady as a rock, my heart shaking. My head spun-- I could feel the vile in my throat rising, I told my self to get it together, my aim cutting across the room, my vision blocked in one eye...

After dropping Logan off at headquarters I did something I never do...I turned my siren on and headed up town around the park at targeted speeds. Pulling alongside his building I drew myself out of the vehicle, slamming the door shut, noticing there was no doorman on duty tonight, I dragged my tired body to the intercom system outside his building, pressed his apartment number and to my surprise given the late hour he answered promptly sounding awake and fresh as always.

"Hello?" His smooth voice sang out to me downstairs.

"It's La Fay," I whispered.

The sound of the buzzer unlocking the secured doors greeted me instantly letting me in. I took the stairs instead of the elevator, with hopes that the eight flights would peak my endorphins into a noticeable performance.

My knuckles quietly rapped once on the door, it was opened to me before my hand declined for a second knock.

He stared at me for what seemed like a time without end before speaking. At first I saw concern flash through those eyes of his, only to be dismissed by anger.

"What happened to you?" he asked pulling me inside.

It had been another sleepless night, it was almost as if my body knew not to rest. As the door opened, my expression went from curious, to panic , to rage, but now wasn't the time. Meeting her eyes with my own. Stepping in to me, placing her head on my shoulder. A hand finding the small of her back as the other was on the back of her head. Then the most unusual thing occurred, she started to cry. It was only for a minute or two, each gasp and grunt, every sob and shake of her body against mine, fueled the building hatred, the unparallel evil I would unleash upon those who were responsible.

Easing her from the doorway , I brought her to the living room, sitting her down. Recomposing herself as best as she could. I told her that I was going to the kitchen. When I rose, I felt her grip, like a vise on my arm "...Don't Leave" And there IT was, there was something I had never seen in La Fay's eyes before.....fear.

Using the back of my fingers of my right hand to glide down the left side of her face, her grip loosened. With a soft smile, I assured her I would be right back. Minutes later, my living room table was a mess. Wash clothes, hot bowl of soapy water, coffee mugs, a first aid kit and of course an ice pack. While I cleaned her face and tended the wounds she related the evenings events. She spoke in an almost monotone voice. Recalling every movement, leaving nothing out. My mind wrestled with the facts as she spoke, putting bits of information together. When she finished, I explained that it appeared that no mistakes were actually made, every angle seemed covered. It was extremely important for me to remove what ever doubt she had at the moment. I'd seen it all before, a flash of fear can lead to self doubt . Better to route it and destroy it before it takes hold and festers like a disease.

I ran the shower for her " Take your time, let the water work away the aches and kinks." During her stay in the bathroom, I pulled out an extra t-shirt and a pair of sweat pants, folded neatly on the bed. I called work and told them that I wasn't coming in today. By their expression you'd think that doesn't happen often...............it doesn't.

I caught a glimpse of her, clad in my bathrobe, as she stepped in the hallway and then to the bedroom. Cleaning up the living room, I gave her time to dress. Picking up and clearing , all with out thought. My hands were busy, my mind was busier. 'That animal is loose' the voice cried in my head 'He'll want to strike again and soon.' With eyes closed I washed the contents of my sink ' He'll think he can't be caught, he'll feel invincible, that he can't be stopped.' Smiling to myself, relishing in the fact that his arrogance will be his undoing.

Down the hall I heard the distinct sound of a cell phone ringing. The door opened shortly after, she told me that it was Logan checking up on her. She also related that she said that she was staying at a friends' place and asked him to take care of Jersey. 'The whole state?' I first thought and then realized it was La Fay's dog. I remember her showing a picture around the Bar. I nodded, keeping eye contact, trying not let my attention veer. She did look a whole lot better, so much like her old self, so when I smiled, so did she.

" La Fay......go to bed."

"But..."

"But nothing, you're running on empty, going on no sleep, depleted of adrenaline and caffeine, so in a word......Bed."

Following her in , Gatsby took his place at the foot of the bed, she smiled for the second time tonight. I took a seat on the edge and once she was under the blankets, I told her to sleep.

"What about you?"

"Someone has to keep the nightmares away." At first she just stared, and I could swear it looked as if the tears were welling up but she then let out a small heartfelt laugh and said "...thanks..."

Leaning over , placing my lips to her forehead, another plea "Sleep" I whispered. Drawing the curtains closed, it was a little past four and the sun would be up soon. Dimming the lights, watching her lids close, her breathing becoming slower and steady. I could see the yielding of her body to the slumber and rest it desperately craved. Time passes as it always has, same pace, no faster no slower. A single ray of sunlight found it's way in through the drapes. For several hours it made it's way across the floor and I sat. Morning eventually found noon, and finally I drifted off, sitting in a chair, with the back against the door.

The Demon had come to me clearly in my dream, recounting La Fay's experience as if I were there. Watching, helplessly unable to do anything, trying to run and stop him, legs and arms refusing to move for me, even my screams and cries falling on deaf ears. Snapping my eyes open, to find a rather hungry but purring kitty on my lap.

Gazing over to see her still peacefully in the realm of dreams. So deep she had hardly moved at all. My eyes cast over the curved form beneath the covers to the clock. "Four hours...." I muttered to myself "must be a record." Quietly , I remove myself to the kitchen to feed the little furball.

Making my way back in to the bedroom, silently opening the closet door, pushing aside the hanging garments, revealing a medium sized safe. Turning the dial several times before setting in the combination long since used. Proud that I could do it on the first try and with no sound, I removed several items , glancing in at the mementos of times , past and present. Gathering up what I needed I resealed the safe, leaving it hidden behind the clothes as I have done do an untold amount of time. Quickly I prepared for the approaching evening. Carefully selecting what to wear and bring. Attache' case all packed and left by the door.

Thinking it would be better to let her rest, so I left a note.

L, Got called in to work this evening, didn't want to disturb you. You're more than welcome to stay tonight if you like. Help yourself to the fridge, and if you want I left word with the doorman , he'll let up anything you order out, he'll take care of the bill and I'll reimburse him later. So get something to eat and above all rest....don't wait up, I have a feeling it's going to be a late one tonight.

M

Indeed It was long night. Thinking he didn't attain his goal last night, his itch, his hunger would be unbearable. Bar after sleazy bar, I searched. Even came up with a few possibilities. My eyes were growing heavy, fatigue was setting in. Just when I was about to call it a night, I decided to try one more place. My first indication it was him, was that he was the only one to look at the door when I entered. even the bartender didn't seem to care, much less notice.

He was dressed too nice for a place like this. These people barely had jobs, who else would be in a dump like this at two a.m. The eleven o'clock news was being rebroadcast on an old black and white TV, no news of an attack this evening. He sat at the bar along side a lady of negotiable affection, engrossed in his banter. She laughed and giggled as his continued.

As I walked by, I looked at his hand resting on the bar. Swollen and knuckles scrapped. This one was the closest yet. I took a seat further down the bar, ordered a beer and let it sit. A moment later another person, a hulk of a man moved over and sat between the painted lady the animal and me. Happily the only sound he made was the grunt of his order. So I sat and listened, pretending to nurse my beer. When The words "Why don't we go back to my place for a champagne cocktail," left his lips, I was convinced. Calmly I placed a fifty on the bar and told the tender, "Sorry for the trouble." Too busy examining to see if the bill was real, the words went unheard, probably because they didn't make sense ....yet.

As I rose up from my seat and made my way towards the door, my left hand shot straight out , grabbing the animal by the hair and wrenched him almost all the way back off the stool. His hand wildly splayed out to stop his fall, but I reversed his momentum by shoving him forward hoping to hit the brass rail around the bar......ending up catching the edge instead.....c'est la vie. The lady, too confused to say anything, just sat and stared. Pulling back the piece of filth, seeing that his nose was broken, dazed and bordering on the brink of unconsciousness.

The bartender knew what the fifty was for now. A movement from my side caught my attention as it neared . With a swift and fluid motion, my hand slid behind me to the small of my back, retrieving what was there and snapped it out. The man that was once sitting beside me, was now stopped and staring down the length of my arm, right in to the barrel of a cocked forty-five.

It a tone that indicated that I was in no mood to play I simply asked, "He a friend of yours?" When she shook his head 'no' I told him to go back to his seat and finish his drink. Replacing the weapon, I reached in to my pocket and gave the lady a fifty and told her to take a cab home, the streets weren't a safe place. She could find no argument with me.

Dragging the animal outside, slamming him against the first car I found . " Who....who are you?" Ah fear, Taking hold of the lapels of his coat as I drove my knee in to his stomach. As he gasped and groaned on all fours, I stepped on one of his hands, twisting my foot slightly to gain his attention. When he looked up he'd seen the pistol for the first time.

"It's not who I am that should trouble you," looking down on the bastard, "It's who I'm not." The confusion was soon replaced with an understanding. He realized who I wasn't, and that's when fear really started to kick in.

"You...you're not the police!"

"Correct......which means I don't have any rules to abide by."

"Wait! Wait! ...I'll confess everything." His eyes were that of a sniveling coward

"Where's your car?" A look of relief came to his face , he thought he was saved.

The ring of a cell phone woke me, and I rose lazily from my couch. Checking my watch, 9:47. Looking over to the coffee table to see the remains of a bucket of chicken and a very happy cat. I heard the sound of bare feet racing from the bedroom on the hard wood floor.

"Great news."

"Oh?"

"We got him!"

Before I could act surprised she continued, "That was Logan, he got an anonymous tip this morning , so they went to the apartment and found him."

"Well that's great!"

"Wait there's more!" Somehow I knew there would be...

"He's dead. He wrote a confession to what he did and that he was sorry, he even piled up the video tapes he took of the victims on the table, sick bastard!....Then, get this, he must have taken one of his own special cocktail to end it." She stopped, looking like she was mulling something over in her mind.

"Something wrong?"

"No......well yes."

"What?"

"Well, they said he had a broken, nose, which he could have gotten from falling on the table, but how did he write a confession note if all his fingers were broken?" Damn didn't think of that. "Oh one other thing, there was something written on the wall of his place." La Fay pulled out a piece of paper from the large pocket in my hooded sweat shirt that she wore.

"What does ' NE INCOCES EXPELLIS NON POSSIS' mean?"

Taking a moment , I simply said " Do not call up that you can not put down."

"Somehow, I knew you would know that." A wink, perhaps a knowing wink, but it wasn't not for me to say.

She paused for a minute and looked at me, "I'm going to go work," giving me a hug "thanks for everything, I'll return the sweats tonight when I stop by the bar."

"As you wish Lieutenant."

Watching her make her way for the door, knocking over my attache case, picking it up and noticing it's weight. Smiling as she put it on the hall table.

"What have you got in there? A cannon?" She laughed as she left.

As for me, I breath a sigh of relief, and went back to bed.