Ocean Blue Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"More money than a king's ransom." He corrected her, feeling his anger start to rise with the tension in her voice. "All you have to do is live your life the way that you are. Nothing will change." He said with a laugh. "So what? You go back to living the life the way that you were, no big deal. It's got to be a hell of a lot better than they way that you are living your life at the moment." He shot back, his voice full of spite as he watched her blue eyes narrow.

"I'll tell you what my life doesn't entail at the moment, Philip Montard." She hissed, leaning over the table to glare at him. "I am not going back to the Ocean Blue, no matter what you say. A year in that hell was more than enough for me."

It was a moment of rage that crossed Philip's mind. The tension was getting to him and the fact that he was being talked back to wasn't boding well for either of them. Without thinking, Philip reached out and grabbed his glass of brandy, throwing it in Katherine's face. It was a long moment that passed between them, Philip frozen in place as he stared at the glass in his hand and then and the liquid covering her shocked face.

Katherine's jaw dropped, her eyes wide as she slowly reached up and hand and wiped it across her eyes, the liquid stinging. It slowly ran down her face and neck, staining the dress where it soaked into the fabric. It took a long, tense moment before Katherine started to laugh.

"You just threw brandy at me!" She shouted, laughing so hard that her face was turning red. "I cannot believe that you just did that!"

"I...um..." He said, unsure of the words as he slowly set the glass back down on the table.

"My brother use to start fights like this with me. If it's what you truly want, I assure you that you will lose." She said softly as she reached her hand for a pastry sitting just beside her plate. "You know what the greatest thing about this is?" She asked, wiping more of the liquid off her cheeks.

"What?" Philip asked suspiciously, thoroughly confused by her change.

"This." She said, standing up out of her seat and shoving the pastry in his face.

He looked at her in shock as the smashed the cake in his face, completely taken back as she smiled at him. He just shrugged, picking up a piece of bread and throwing it at her. Katherine squealed as it got caught in her hair and she reached down to arm herself with something else. Food flew through the air, hitting each other with anything they could get their hands one, laughing filling the space as all of their aggressions were taken out.

Katherine soon found herself cornered and when she tried to run past Philip, he reached out and grabbed her around the waist, spinning her around and pushing her back against the wall. Philip pinned Katherine to the side of the cabin, enchanted by the smile that crossed her face. It lit up her face, her blue eyes sparkling and for the first time since he met her, she didn't seem sad. Her cheek was covered in cake, the bread dotting through her hair.

"You ruined your dress." She murmured, laughing as she looked down at the front of the once beautiful silk gown.

Without warning, Philip bent in and kissed away a spot of food on her lower lip, freezing in that moment as he gently kissed her lips. She gasped, not resisting as he opened his eyes and stared directly into hers. Touching nose to nose, his lips grazed against hers as they shared the same breath.

"Sometimes you have to be reminded about the good things in life." He whispered, letting his hands move from the wall to search out the pins in her hair, slowly pulling them out one by one in a cascade of red curls.

"Philip." Katherine whispered, cut off as Philip pulled away and pressed a finger to her lips.

"I thought long ago that I would only ever love one woman." He admitted to her, his eyes growing sad as Katherine blushed slightly. "She broke my heart but then I heard about the Ocean Blue. About a girl so beautiful that men would give their lives for her and I thought that it had to be legend. Then..." He paused, collecting his thoughts as he watched her eyes thoughtfully. "I saw you and everything changed."

Katherine slowly reached a hand up, caressing his cheek lightly with her fingertips. "You're not going to send me back?" She asked quietly, almost afraid of the answer.

Philip stared at her for a moment, his mind warring with the right choice. If he let her go, he knew his nights would be tormented with the image of another love who got away, yet if he let her stay, rumors would get back to Bega sooner or later. He smiled at her slightly, reaching up and resting his hand against her cheek, letting his fingers fan across her delicate skin.

He leaned in again, letting his lips press to hers in a soft, romantic kiss. He found his hand snaking up her body and wrapping into her soft curls. Her lips were so soft, her body so warm that Philip couldn't believe that the woman of his dreams was finally flesh in front of him. He found himself tipping her head back as he gently nibbled at her lips, letting his tongue caress her for a few moments before pulling back, his head swimming as he flashed her a smile.

"Beauty." He whispered quietly. "I..."

His words were cut off by a loud clap of thunder that pierced through the still night, making them both jump at the suddenness. He grabbed on to her waist as tight as he could, turning to look out the windows at the sudden noise. All was quiet on the ship as the crew held their breaths, waiting for another thunderclap.

Katherine pulled away from Philip's grasp, staring at the bank of windows and out towards the dark ocean. All was quiet at the moment, the boat swaying in the choppy waves as a brilliant flash of lightening light the sky. Katherine let out a squeal of surprise as it was followed quickly rumbling thunder, something that caused her to jerk backwards, tumbling into Philip's arms as her legs got tangled in her skirts.

"Scared, beauty?" He asked with a grin as he looked down at her wide, frightened eyes.

"Not in the least. I just don't like storms at sea." She said quickly, righting herself and smoothing out the skirt as she tried to retain her dignity.

Philip laughed to himself and walked closer to the window, looking out at the ocean, yet seeing nothing out of the ordinary.

"Just a simple summer storm. Nothing to worry about." He said as another boom of thunder made both of them jump.

"Scared, Mr. Montard?" Katherine teased as she saw him tense up at the sudden noise.

"Funny." He said, no humor in his voice as the ship suddenly pitched, throwing him off balance as he tumbled into Katherine, sending both to the deck with a thud.

He stared down into her surprised blue eyes for a moment, taken back by the beauty that he found there. He raised his hand gently, stroking her cheek with the backs of his fingers as he memorized every feature, every delicate freckle burning an image into his mind. He found himself leaning down, capturing her lips again in a passionate kiss before being jerked back to reality by a loud shout from deck.

"What in God's name is going on?" He asked as he raised his head, looking towards the door. Hearing a second shout, Philip stood quickly, holding out his hand to Katherine and leading her towards the door. "Come on, beauty. Let's find out about this storm."

Katherine found herself smiling slightly as she took his hand, gripping it tight against the rocking of the boat as he lead her outside. A gust of wind hit them, blowing her hair back as they dodged around crew members that were scurrying every which way on the deck. Her dress snapped in the wind, the fabric hampering her movements as Philip pulled her onward towards the main deck.

Albert stood at the helm of the ship, quietly observing what was happening as crew members ran around him with rumors of the coming storm. Philip gripped Katherine's hand tight as they hurried up to the wheel, the first drops of rain beginning to fall on the deck.

"Report." Philip said, practically shouting in his nervousness.

"Storm. We've have been watching eet for an hour now. Lightening, winds, thunder, rain, nothing to be worried about." He stated, looking over at Philip and smiling slightly as he saw him clenching Katherine's hand.

"Why was I not informed of this?" Philip asked, his green eyes growing dark with anger as he looked out over the ocean with a trained eye.

Albert laughed slightly, making Katherine blush with unease. "We thought eet better not to disturb you."

"Bloody hell." Katherine whispered as she let go of his hand and turned away from the two of them, making Albert smile wider as she walked over to the railing and stared out at the open waters.

"Besides, nothing that your friend can't handle. Trust me, Philippe, there ees nothing to worry about." Albert assured him as a flash of lightening lit up the water, blinding everyone momentarily.

Katherine counted silently in her head, only getting to two before thunder sounded. The storm was upon them, but it didn't seem to be that bad. Maybe Albert is right. She thought. It was in the second flash that she saw something that made her blood run cold.

As the two friends argued over course of action, Katherine slowly backed away from the railing in a stupor. As she neared Philip, she reached out and grabbed the sleeve of his tunic, tugging frantically on it to gain his attention.

"What is your problem?" He asked, turning slightly to look down at her pale face.

"I think you missed something." She whispered, motioning out to the open water.

Albert and Philip both turned and gazed out to the waters behind them. They saw nothing in the darkness but the gentle roll of the waves around the boat becoming choppier as the storm approached.

"There ees nothing there." He said with a shrug of his shoulders.

It was in the next bolt of lightening that they both saw it, a ship's worst nightmare. Waves, as high as they could go off in the distance and rain pouring from the sky. All three stood there with expressions of shock.

"Mother of God." Philip whispered. "Send out a warning." He murmured, still in shock.

"All hands on deck!" Albert shouted, turning and hurrying down the stairs as fast as he could as he started to direct the crew to their positions.

"Philip, let me help you." Katherine suddenly said, looking up at him with a serious look on her face. "Please."

"No. You need to go back to the cabin and lock yourself in." He answered, turning to walk down the stairs

"I can help!" Katherine shouted at him over the howling winds. "I know what needs to be done. Please, let me help you." She begged, her eyes pleading as she saw him slow his pace.

Philip stopped and turned to stare up at her, his eyes narrowing slightly. It didn't take but two seconds for him to bound up the stairs again, grabbing her by the arm and dragging her behind him towards the cabin. She was took shocked by his sudden change to protest as he spun her in front of him, shoving the door with his hand.

"I'm the captain of this ship." He said, opening the door and pushing her inside. "And I don't like to be questioned."

"Why are you acting like this?" She asked, her voice soft as she turned to stare at him, her eyes showing a hint of fear that made his heart drop.

"Because, you of all people should know what it means when a captain is questioned in front of his crew." He said, reaching to pull the door shut as he left. "And storms make me edgy."

Katherine bowed her head, knowing that statement well as the door slammed shut, the sound of his boots fading away as she turned and walked to the bank of windows again, her gaze locked far in the distance as she watched the rain clouds move closer.

"Everything under control?" Philip shouted over the howling winds to Albert as he came upon his friend again, the rain starting to come down harder with each passing moment.

"Almost." Albert said, keeping a watchful eye over the crew as Philip looked at him, raising an eyebrow in questioning.

"Almost?"

"You forgot one little detail." He said, nodding with his head towards the tiny closet that was serving as Anne's prison on the main deck.

"What about it?" Philip asked with a shrug. "Let her stay there. Take her down a peg or two."

"Philippe." Albert murmured, his tone scolding as he looked to his friend. "Have a heart. She's never traveled on a boat before and she ees scared out of her mind. Don't leave her in zee dark closet to ride out her first storm. Let her stay with Katherine."

"How in the hell do you know this is her first time on a boat?" Philip asked in amazement, turning to look at his friend with a questioning look.

"Eet's funny what you learn when you ask a person a simple question." Albert said, trying to contain a smile as Philip muttered under his breath and shook his head, making his way over towards the closet.

Anne sat huddled in the middle of the darkened space, her brown eyes wide in fear as she watched the water slowly pool under the bottom of the door. She could swear that she heard footsteps approaching from the deck and she prayed that it wasn't that awful mane who had ordered her to be imprisoned in this dank and dirty closet. In her mind, she couldn't wait to see him hanged for his serious transgressions against her, something that she would push her father towards once she saw him again. No one treated Anne Amelia Mickelson this way and never paid a price.

She gasped as Philip tore open the door, reaching inside to grab the girl. She let out a whimper of fear, dodging his hand and shrinking back into the corner of the small room. Her heart was in her throat and she didn't know how much more she could take of his cruel treatment before she snapped.

"Damn you." Philip cursed at her as he grabbed her by the wrist and practically yanked her out into the rain.

"What are you doing?" She wailed, hitting at his shoulder in fear as she desperately tried to get away.

"I'm trying to save your life." He growled, grabbing her by the upper arm tightly, his sharp green eyes cutting through her like a knife as he forced her to look at him. "Listen to me and listen well. I don't kill women. I try to abstain from killing anyone, but you seriously trying my patience. There is a storm coming and if you are left in there, God knows what will happen to you. I suggest that you drop these airs that you put on and act like a dignified lady instead of the spoiled brat that you are."

"How dare you call me that!" She shouted at him as he pulled her across the deck, shoving her through the cabin door. She looked at Katherine standing there in the silk dress, her mind instantly jumping to a million conclusions before she remembered her anger and turned to Philip, her voice rising shrilly as she shouted, "I am not a spoiled brat!"

"Well, you could have fooled me." He said with a slight smile to Katherine. "Bolt the door." And then, he was gone.

The two women stared at each other for a moment, fright passing between each of them. The creaking of the wood was loud in the small cabin, the sound foreboding as everything around the ship seemed to toss and turn in anger. Another rumble of thunder made them both jump as Anne whimpered slightly, too scared to put her fear into words as she slowly made her way over to Philip's desk chair, sinking down into it as she struggled for air.

Katherine stared at her for a moment, slowly calming herself as she looked out the windows again to the ocean. In her mind, she could practically see the heads of the serpents poking over the tops of the white caps, staring at the ship with hungry desire. A violent wave sent Katherine scrambling as she held onto the windowsill, her fingers clenching tight to the metal as a warning call was given on deck.

With a sigh she took a deep breath, looking out the window and up at the moonless sky.

"This is going to be a long night." She murmured to herself as a rumble of thunder answered her call.

****************************************

Chapter 6 coming soon....Katherine and Philip face a storm while another one begins to stir.

****************************************

Any comments or questions about the story? Please don't hesitate to write me. I enjoy the feedback and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to imput an idea, then by all means...drop me a line. :)

12