Orc Dominion: Zentara Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Frederick left the room, leaving Jeanette alone with her thoughts. Her conversation with Frederick went better than she had expected. Jeanette only hoped that the rest of her court, and the subjects, accepted her plan as easily.

The following weeks passed quickly for Jeanette. Despite their preparations, Heste had yet to attack Zentara, though they moved ever closer to the Lyskean Pass. They continued to issue threats and warnings, and mobilized more and more of their forces. Jeanette resumed her weekly visits to the poorer part of the city, spreading news of the upcoming feast and giving out alms. The people welcomed her eagerly into their communities and homes. It seemed everyone in the city was behind her in resisting Heste, though they didn't know the means she planned to use. The people wanted her to be happy, and didn't want a foreign king. The merchants didn't want to lose their profitable trade advantages over Heste, and the nobles feared losing their position of importance if the crown came under the influence of King Connor, who already had his own aristocracy.

Jeanette did make sure to steer clear of The Soiled Dove and its surrounding environs when she toured the city. She didn't want to risk meeting any of her former clients, nor did she want to risk stirring any of her cravings. Since learning her parents were dead, and that she was pregnant, she had been cured of the addictive lust that drew her back there again and again. Or, at least, it had been kept in abeyance, under control. Jeanette could not risk getting pregnant again, or being discovered. She would simply have to keep her urges under control until such time that she had a husband, or at least, was more secure in her reign.

Just as Jeanette was getting settled into her life back in Ruar, it was upended again by trumpet blasts from the walls. The city guard spotted a large party of orcs approaching the city at rapid speed, faster even than the messengers from the border. Jeanette sent Frederick out to the front gate to greet them, with orders to allow the orcs to establish a camp outside the city, and to invite the orc chief and up to ten of his men to meet with her in the castle. Her heart raced as she sat on the throne in the formal reception hall of the castle. Susannah was in the kitchens, preparing for a welcoming feast for the orcs. Jeanette fidgeted in the throne, adjusting her dress and coronet constantly in nervous anticipation for the arrival of her guests. This would be the first orc she would be in close contact with since her last night at The Soiled Dove. With that in mind, she dressed more modestly than usual, with a high-necked gown that completely covered her arms, chest, legs, and even her throat.

The throne room was lined with courtiers and liveried servants, ready to welcome the orcs. They had been prepared for the arrival of the orcs, though not the specific reason they were coming. Speculation was rife as to why the Queen Regent had invited a party of orcs to the capital. Murmured conversation filled the throne room as Jeanette waited for the arrival. When Daniels opened the door, the conversation stopped immediately and an atmosphere of tense anticipation permeated the hall.

"Turogg, Chief of the Goltenak Clan, and Sir Frederick Welton, Duke of Haverset!" All eyes in the room turned towards Turogg as he entered the throne room and began walking towards Jeanette. Turogg towered over the Duke of Haverset, and most of the other men in the room. He was surprisingly well dressed for an orc, Jeanette noticed. Far better dressed than any of the orcs she had met previously. Wearing a fine satin shirt, leather breeches and sturdy boots, he had gone out of his way to make himself presentable for the court. Turogg had the grey toned skin of most orcs, as well as the upturned nose and prominent tusks jutting from his jaw. His large framed, muscular body was well outlined by the shirt. Despite being out of his element, he strode confidently toward Jeanette, still seated on her throne.

"Your Highness, let me introduce you to Chief Turogg. Chief Turogg, this is the Queen Regent of Zentara, Jeanette Grennally." Frederick smiled to Jeanette as he introduced the large orc to her. Jeanette looked up at the much taller orc, entranced by the powerful muscles and raw masculinity of the Chief. She quickly snapped herself out of it to focus on the initial contact with the potential ally. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Turogg. Welcome to my Kingdom. I appreciate your accepting my invitation, and hope to make the trouble of your visit more than worthwhile."

Turogg gave Jeanette a wide grin as he looked down at her. "It is I who should thank you for the invitation. I have never before been invited to meet with a Queen, or King. Nor to a castle such as this. I look forward to knowing you, and exploring all the pleasures that this place offers." Turogg's words were slightly accented, and the word choice a little off, though he was quite understandable, which was a relief. Not having to utilize a translator would make the negotiations much easier.

"I'm sure you'll find Ruar to be a delightful and accommodating place. We've always enjoyed the good relations and trade with the orc tribes, and are well used to serving your people." Jeanette faltered a moment at the way the words sounded after she said them, but continued on after a moment. "I've arranged for light refreshments and fresh water be brought in for you and your companions, so you can restore yourselves. I've also sent a variety of foodstuffs, servants, and supplies to construct a camp for you outside the city. You shall be well stocked when you return after the banquet."

Turogg gave Jeanette a long look, and for a moment she wondered if he were insulted to not be invited to stay in the castle. Instead, he just shrugged and nodded at Jeanette. "I am sure it will be appreciated and sufficient, Queen. We are tired from our journey. It was a hard ride to get here as fast as we did."

"I appreciate your haste, Turogg. Luckily, it was not so fast that I did not have time to procure for you the gift I intended." Jeanette nodded to a nearby servant, who stepped forward holding a bundle covered by a silk sheet. Jeanette pulled away the fabric to reveal a fine leather saddle, with long stirrups that would give the orc chieftain a commanding view when riding. "I hope you like it; I believe you'll find the stirrups to offer a distinct advantage in combat, as they allow you to brace yourself against the impact of your weapon on a foe."

Turogg ran his hand admiringly over the leather. "It is very fine Queen Jeanette, my thanks to you. Your people honor me with such fine gifts."

"Tomorrow morning I should like to meet with you, in private to discuss a proposal that will be beneficial for us both. But first, relax and enjoy our hospitality. I look forward to speaking with you more in the days to come." Jeanette rose from the throne and nodded to Turogg, who grinned back. Frederick signaled the orc, and led Turogg and his men to the chambers that had been provided for their use.

Jeanette left the hall and returned to her own apartments, reflecting on her encounter with the orc chief. He was not what she expected, seeming more refined. The orcs she met in the city had been course, but Turogg was civilized. He was more like a foreigner, than a barbarian. Still, Jeanette knew she should not let herself be fooled into thinking that way. Despite his amiable appearance, Turogg was a tested warrior who had been leading a campaign against Thesta and Sandora. He was dangerous, and she couldn't forget that. That was the whole reason he was here, so the threat he posed could be directed to a more productive purpose.

Jeanette took Turogg's demeanor as a good sign. That he was willing to make an effort, and that he showed a desire to adapt to a more civilized life style boded well for their negotiations. Jeanette didn't think that gold, treasure, and other gifts would be enough to buy their service. They, or at least, Turogg, wanted a more civilized life, and Jeanette could give them that. She wasn't sure she wanted a full scale orc settlement in Zentara, but would be willing to establish an enclave and a permanent embassy, and perhaps even grant Turogg an estate large enough for him and a small number of his people.

Jeanette wondered what it would be like to have Turogg in court if she did grant him an estate in Zentara. He seemed willing to adapt to their ways, and spoke enough of the language to make himself understood. She wondered what sort of position he could hold. He was too manly, and had too powerful a presence to be a simple courtier. Perhaps he could be Master of Horses, or, she supposed, Marshal of the Army. Somehow she doubted that her human subjects would be happy serving under an orc.

After changing into a dinner gown, Jeanette realized that she had picked a much slinkier, more revealing outfit. The neckline was much lower, and the cinched corseted waist made her hips seem flared out and lifted her breasts and exposed a generous amount of cleavage. Her ruby pendant necklace would only further draw attention to her chest. Since the banquet was about to start, it was too late to change dresses again so Jeanette had no choice but to go to the banquet hall and join the others.

At the table, Turogg was wearing the same outfit he had been wearing when presented to Jeanette. She supposed that he didn't have many fine outfits, and certainly hadn't brought an extra outfit into the castle to meet with her. Jeanette was seated at the end of the table, with Frederick on her right and Turogg on her left. Susannah was now back, and seated next to her father. She stared at Turogg, fascinated by his presence and hanging on his every word as the orc conversed with Jeanette.

Turogg admired the view that Jeanette's new dress provided from him, his gaze consistently dropping to take in the sight of the milky white breasts thrust before him. "I am surprised, Queen Jeanette, that we will be talking tomorrow. I had expected to meet with Duke Frederick. In our clans, women do not hold positions as leaders. They are property of husbands, and take care of children and food. It is very strange to find one who rules over her people."

Jeanette laughed softly and treated Turogg with a smile. "It is not usual among our people either, however, there is no law against it if there are no males available to take the throne. My father, the previous ruler of Zentara, had no male children, and no brothers to take the throne, so the crown passed to me. I have no doubt though, that I'll be able to prove to you that women can rule just as effectively as men."

"Hear hear, Your Highness...This meeting was the Queen Regents idea, Turogg. You will see tomorrow how capable she can be." Frederick piped in, coming to Jeanette's aid.

"You both have so many secrets. Why not just say why I am invited?" Turogg looked up from Jeanette's bust to gaze into her eyes with a curious expression.

"It is a private matter...I trust you'll understand more tomorrow when we meet. But for now, please, let us not talk of business, but get to know one another better." Jeanette gave Turogg another smile, while the orc looked back in confusion. "If you say so, Queen Jeanette. How do you like leading so far?"

"While I do not like the circumstance that brought me into power, I must say that I do enjoy it so far. It is...satisfying, and fulfilling to be able to do all the things I've wanted to do in order to make things better for the Kingdom and my people."

"That is good philosophy. You are like a mother to your people, as it should be. I also want better things for my people. The western lands are much richer than the plains we come from. It is time for a better life." While his words sounded reasonable enough, Jeanette sensed the menace and threat beneath them. "True, though you have elected to do so with force, and at the expense of those already living here."

Turogg shrugged, and then chuckled darkly. "Life it hard, the strong prosper, the weak submit. It is the way of things. If I am strong enough to take, and make life better for those who belong to me, why should I not do it? If you are too weak to keep what is yours, why should I listen to your protests?"

"Because there are better ways, dear Turogg, as I hope to convince you. Ways where everyone can get what they want, and be satisfied." Jeanette chuckled softly. "Well, almost everyone. I like you, Turogg. I can talk to you. We have much to discuss, but that can wait until tomorrow. Please return to your camp, get a good night's rest and we can continue in the morning." Jeanette rose as the banquet came to an end, nodded to Turogg and bid him goodnight with a smile.

The next morning Turogg met with Jeanette and Frederick. Like the day before, Jeanette had a present for Turogg. Waiting for him in the castle was a six foot long spear, with a strong oak shaft and a hardened steel tip. The shaft was carved to have several hilts along the length of it, to protect the hand wielding it, and to prevent the shaft from slipping on impact. "This is a strong spear, Turogg. Made from a strong wood than any you'll find in the Angrian March. It is good for fighting from horseback, and will allow you to remain stable while destroying your enemies."

Turogg accepted the spear, hefting it with two hands, then tried thrusting it one handed. His superior strength allowed him to wield it easily, and be able to thrust it with power and precision. "It is a fine weapon." Turogg gave a throaty laugh. "But I am confused, last night, you say there is a better way than fighting, today you give me weapon to fight with. What does it mean?"

"It means that you should pick your battles carefully, to make sure you're fighting the right person."

"I am sure you will soon tell me who that person is. But first, I have something for you. You give me gifts, it is only fair that I give gift in return." Turogg produced a large box, presented it to Jeanette and then opened the lid. Inside was a stunning, high-necked gold collar with a large sapphire in the center, directly over the throat. While very beautiful and no doubt incredibly valuable, it was much more ostentatious and severe than what she would normally wear. Unlike the ruby pendant she wore the previous night, this collar had no give to it, being very stiff and unforgiving. Jeanette doubted she would have much movement in her neck while wearing it, though with the right outfit it would give an austere, majestic, and commanding appearance.

"It is beautiful, Turogg. Thank you, it is most generous. Finer by far than anything I've given you. You are escalating the giving of gifts. Now I shall have to find something better for you." Jeanette smiled at Turogg as she examined and admired the necklace."

"It is a prize from the eastern end of the plains. And I think it does not yet equal the value of the gifts you sent that brought me here. Treasure like this is pretty, but not useful to us out in the plains. The saddle and spear are fine craftsmanship, and real works of skill and talent that cannot be found among my people."

"You are kind to say so, Turogg. I hope to treat you to more of the fine craftsmanship that my Kingdom can provide." Jeanette looked at Frederick, and nodded.

"To that end, Chief Turogg, is the matter which brings us together today. The Queen Regent proposes an alliance between Zentara, and the Goltenak tribe of orcs."

Turogg was taken aback by the forward statement. "An alliance? On what terms?"

"The Queen Regent proposes that your people cease their attacks on Thesta and Sandora, and instead focus your attacks on the Kingdom of Heste, the westernmost region of the continent." Frederick looked at Turogg with a stony expression, in order to mask his feelings.

"Why should I want to do that? Why move my people even further from their homes to attack your enemies?"

"For starters, we're prepared to offer a significant amount gold, in addition to whatever you plunder from Heste. We'll also allow your people greater trade opportunities here within Zentara, and give you greater access to the weapons, armor, and horses that our people create."

Turogg snorted and leaned back in his chair. "That does not answer why we should fight your battles for you. We are not mercenaries or lapdogs for humans."

Jeanette leaned forward toward Turogg and spoke with a soft tone. "No one is saying you are. But what does it matter to you, which humans you fight? Thesta, Sandora, Heste...these mean nothing to you, the treasure you win is the same, no matter whom you fight. If fighting one of those gets you extra gold, and the friendship of our land, why wouldn't you take the deal?"

"Hmph. What use is all the gold in your Kingdom, if we just give it back to you in trade? We cannot spend gold in the plains. We would have no recourse but to spend it here, and then have little to show for it. I require more than just gold and weapons to fight your war. My people need land. If you want our support you must give to me the rich land bordering our plains." Turogg's deep voice rumbled as he made the demand, which would include much of Frederick's Duchy of Haverset.

"Impossible! Why should we carve up our lands and give them to you instead of Heste? We cannot force our people to leave their lives behind and make room for your people." Frederick raised his voice as he angrily disagreed with the orc.

"Yet you want my people to leave their lives behind and die or your war? Yet you won't even give us land to live on?" Turogg rose from his chair, towering above the Duke of Haverset.

"Gentlemen, please." Jeanette rose from her chair at the end of the table. "Let us not forget that we are here today as friends. There is no need for anger or raised voices. I am sure there is a middle ground we can reach where everyone will be happy."

Turogg looked between Jeanette and Frederick, with a glimmer of suspicion in his eyes. "That may be so, but this discussion has been started under false pretenses. It is unfair that there are two of you and only me. I demand another emissary from my people to take part in the talk if it is to continue."

Jeanette glanced at Frederick, who held her gaze a moment before nodding. "Very well, Turogg, you may bring another to the table. But let it be someone you can trust, someone who won't tell all at a tavern or in some brothel tonight."

I will go fetch my brother, Bodak. He will not speak of things he should not. I shall return after the noon to resume. Good day until then, Queen Jeanette."

Turogg left, leaving Jeanette and Frederick alone. "I think that went well, Your Grace. He's interested in the idea, we just need to find agreeable terms."

"You are correct, Your Highness. He is ambitious though, he probably doesn't really believe he'll get the land he's asking for, which means he's after something else...I can't fathom what it would be however."

"We shall learn of it in time. While we recess, prepare the list of figures on gold and weapons we can supply him, and start to think of better ways he can use it...I have a few ideas of my own, I think there is a way we can solicit his help without giving his people a large presence in Zentara."

"At once, Your Highness. I will let you know when Turogg and his brother have returned." Frederick bowed and left the room, leaving Jeanette to wait for their return. It took several hours for Frederick, Turogg, and Bodak to return, giving Jeanette time to eat lunch and freshen up.

When they entered the room, Jeanette's paled and her jaw dropped. Jeanette recognized Bodak immediately from the long scar running down his cheek. The scarred orc, Bodak, stopped short when he recognized her as well. Bodak looked closer at her, seeming to study her face. Jeanette tried to hide her reaction, to hide the recognition, but it was too late. Bodak became yammering in a crude orcish tongue to Turogg, who gave Jeanette a sharp glance. The two orcs began talking back and forth, while Frederick gave Jeanette a confused look.