Pas de Deux

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Henry asked Antonia and me to dinner that evening. It was funny that although I had known Henry ever since I joined the Leinster Foundation, I had always seen him as an actor, playing his part. Over time I realised that Henry wasn't acting, he just loved being with people and talking. His conversation was usually enlivened with wit, never being serious for too long. This evening however he was serious. It was significant when he poured coffee for us. "Our conversation earlier with Kent and Jackson reminded me of something. That I own this place by accident. My father was the second son. The estate should have gone to his elder brother, Andrew. He unfortunately was killed in the war, so my father inherited." He looked at Antonia and addressed her in what appeared to be a change of subject. "Simon knows, Antonia that I have been married twice and both have ended in divorce. I confess that I was the guilty party. I find wives easily; keeping them is more difficult. I played around because my wives didn't become pregnant, so unconsciously I sowed the seeds of divorce. My arrogance was such that I blamed them for not producing children. However I now know to my chagrin that it was my fault. I cannot father children. It's a medical reason and untreatable. So I shall not be marrying again which leaves me with the problem of Holland Hall. I have no near relatives. The nearest is a cousin in Australia who has no interest in the place." He paused dramatically taking a sip of wine. "I have been giving this quite a lot of thought lately and your marriage may be the answer to my dilemma. I have been impressed by Simon ever since he joined us and since meeting you I have a similar impression of you, Antonia. You both have good character and are blessed with integrity. I have no doubt that your marriage is for life. That being so I would ask of you two an onerous task." He paused seemingly embarrassed to go on.

"How can we help you, Henry?" Antonia urged him to continue.

He cleared his throat and flushed with embarrassment. "If something happens to me, would you look after my home until such time as your firstborn is of age, when I would like your son or daughter to inherit the property?" Both Antonia and I sat speechless. I couldn't believe this. That Henry would will this beautiful house to our child.

"You say you have a cousin in Australia." I reminded him of what he said. "Surely the house should go to him. Rather than a child totally unrelated to you?"

"In the normal course of inheritance yes it should. But I have had conversations with him and I know he has no interest in the land and property. He would sell it without even coming to England to see it. This house has been in the Stanhope family for four hundred years. It has been loved and cared for by generations of my family. The code of primogeniture is gone and I can leave my property to whomever I wish. I would will my cousin sufficient capital in recompense for the property. It would please me to think that it will be continued to be loved and cared for. You only have to look at Antonia's eyes and you know she adores the place. You two and your child would be ideal caretakers for future generations. I would ask one thing, would you incorporate my family name, Stanhope into your child's name somehow. That way there will be at least one more generation with the name of Stanhope living in Holland Hall."

I was thunderstruck. Henry, in all the ten years I had known him had never exhibited such emotion. I looked at Antonia as she turned to me. She had fallen in love with Holland Hall the first moment she saw it, now I could see in her eyes, the surprise of Henry's offer, but also the wish. I nodded. "Henry, I think we are in agreement. Your offer is extremely generous, many would say if something seems to be too good to be true, then it probably isn't. But I couldn't think that of you. Thank you." He smiled.

"Henry, our child will have the name Stanhope." Antonia added.

"Good. You have done me a great service. There is more though. The house takes a lot of money for its upkeep. So I shall set up a trust for the maintenance. We'll go through all the legal stuff when you are back from your honeymoon. Oh! And it goes without saying that you should view Holland Hall as a second home. Come up whenever it pleases you, whether I am here or not. The suite of rooms you have now will be set aside for your exclusive use." The emotion vanished and he returned to his usual self. "Now I suggest that Simon departs for his lonely room at the Inn. If he sneaks into your room Antonia, he may get a look at your dress and that will not do. There is of course the other thing that your parents are arriving tomorrow."

"Yes." laughed Antonia gaily. "It wouldn't do for them to think that I wasn't as pure as they would like to believe."

CHAPTER TEN

Our parents arrived the next day. Of course my parents knew Antonia well as she had spent as much time at our house as she did her own, so their greetings were as if she was a long-lost daughter. I hardly knew her parents at all, so it was good to get to know them. The weather was fine, warm and sunny so Henry arranged for a buffet lunch on the lawns. Kent and Amelie were overjoyed to start meeting their long-lost family and my dad filled in a lot of detail of who was who in the family hierarchy together with little potted histories as far as he knew. I was chatting with Mr. and Mrs. Birtwhistle, Antonia's parents when her mum mentioned an episode when we were young. Antonia had come off her bike close to our home. As it happened I was just getting home from school. I ran down and found Antonia nursing a grazed knee, she was close to tears. I asked Becky to bring the bikes back and I picked Antonia up in my arms and took her back to our house. Mrs. Birtwhistle described how Antonia had told her of the incident. "It didn't matter to her that she had grazed her knee, you had picked her up and carried her, and you treated her knee, washed it carefully and applied some antiseptic cream then bandaged it. She said that you were so kind and gentle. That was when she told us that you were going to be a doctor and that she was going to marry you. Seems that she was right, doesn't it?" That was the third rescue that Antonia referred to. I smiled at the memory. When you have a sister and her friend conspiring there's no escape. Said sister grabbed my arm and took me away for a brother and sister conversation.

"I always knew that you and Ant would get married. I wasn't going to let all the hard work we put in to get her into your company be wasted."

"I see. You know it may have been a lot simpler if you had let me in on your plans." I teased her.

"Oh no. That wouldn't do. You can't expect a woman to explain her thinking to a man! You had to realise yourself that Ant was going to be your bride." We walked slowly down the path that led to the church. Becky was going to be Antonia's Maid of Honour, a decision made at least fifteen years ago. Likewise Antonia had been her chief Bridesmaid when Becky married. Unfortunately Becky's husband found it difficult to give up the freedom of single life so they were divorced. We took the time as we talked to reconnoitre the Church. Antonia was already there and I was surprised to hear one of the Bach Fugues being played on the organ.

"Who's playing the organ?" I asked her.

"Oh, that will be Eugene." Antonia replied. "He's our musical director. He insisted that as he hasn't played an organ for quite some time that he had to practice before he could play for my wedding." It would seem that arrangements had been made whilst I remained busy in the laboratory. As my mother once said, men are superfluous at a wedding except for the actual ceremony. It appeared that Antonia felt the same way. She had left her plan for the flowers up at the house.

"I'll just run back and get it." She said.

"Be careful you don't fall and graze your knee." I advised.

Antonia stopped and looked quizzically at me. Slowly with understanding a smile came to her lips. "So you remembered?"

I had to admit the truth. "No. Your mother reminded me."

"I suppose she told you what I said?"

"Yes. But you got that right on both counts, didn't you?"

Antonia nodded. "It's going to be a boy and then a girl." She assured me. "Just see if I'm right." With a laugh she ran off to the house.

I had asked Henry to be my best man. There were two reasons for this, first of all his ability to put anyone at their ease, and second it was a thank you for allowing us to take over his house for the wedding. It would also appear that he was totally au fait with the arrangements, far more than I.

"Don't worry my boy. All you have to do is stand at the altar rail and say the right things when prompted." Rather than wearing traditional Morning Dress, he and I were wearing Frock Coats with cravats. Not my choice, nor his. Antonia had insisted. It came to me that I was about to marry a bossy wife. I was banished from the Hall at six that evening. I was allowed a fond and lingering goodbye to my wife to be.

"Just think Si, tomorrow night it will be legal."

"What will?" I asked rhetorically, knowing her answer.

"The ravishing of course."

At six o' clock the next morning the sky was overcast, by ten the clouds were fading away and by eleven the sun shone strongly. I arrived at the church at half past eleven. The ceremony was set for half past twelve, but I got fed up with pacing around the hotel car park, so came up to the church to do my pacing around. Henry arrived at eleven forty-five. "Simon, for Heaven's sake stop charging around like that. You will be standing at the altar with sweat dripping down your back, now sit down and relax." We chose a seat in the shade of a Chestnut tree and immediately I asked Henry for a cigarette. "You don't smoke, Simon."

"No, but I think this would be a good time to start."

"Courage, my friend. You're only getting married. I've done it twice it's as easy as falling off a log." I looked at him and he grinned. Then we were laughing.

Henry and I entered the church fifteen minutes before the service. The pews were already fairly full with my parents, my relations and friends. Shelley had a particularly wide smile for me and beckoned me over. I bent down and she whispered in my ear.

"I told Antonia."

"Oh?" I knew what she was referring to. "And?"

"She said she knew that she didn't have to worry. I knew that as well, so I was half-hearted in my attempted seduction. Be happy Simon."

On the brides side the pews were full. The whole company of the Ballet D'Anglais were there. The ballerinas dressed in pale blue and looking delightful. Henry started humming and adjusted his cravat. "I thought you said you were not getting married again." I murmured.

"I'm not dear boy. But there's no harm in browsing a little." He and I took our seats. He touched my arm. "Just to let you know." He produced the ring from his waistcoat. "Can't have you worrying about that."

The organ was being played softly and there was a buzz of conversations. Suddenly it all stopped, first the organ and a moment later the conversation. Of course someone coughed just after the conversations petered out. How often does that happen? A second before and no one would have heard it. I pitied the embarrassment of whoever it was. Henry touched my arm and we stood and moved to our positions. Then the organ played again. It was Purcell's Trumpet tune. I turned to look back down the aisle and a vision dressed in a cream Victorian pattern full dress was approaching from the door on the arm of her father. She was taking measured steps in perfect time with the music. Antonia was poised and elegant just like a ballerina, through her veil I could see she was smiling happily, she was so beautiful, so elegant and she was coming to marry me.

A year and three days from our wedding our daughter, Rebecca Stanhope Easton announced her arrival in this world with a cry. I was very pleased as if our child had been the boy that Antonia forecast I would never have heard the end of it.

The End