Pipe Springs

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

"If you want to stay I'm sure we can find a place for you at Pipe Springs," Winsor offered.

Eli, Rebecca and Jacob were given one of the cabins just outside of the fort for living quarters. As Eli worked at his trade, Rebecca helped some of the women with their children. She also taught the younger ones their letters and how to do sums. Jacob tagged along after Clay most days when he wasn't helping his father at the smithy.

Clay was glad to hear that Rebecca would be staying for a spell. Over the next two months he made a point of talking to and seeing Rebecca as often as he could. Some of the other single men at the ranch had the same idea and Rebecca was very popular.

Rebecca was polite with the men but didn't accept any of the offers for Sunday afternoon rides or picnics. Her interest had narrowed to one special cowboy, Clay. His kindness when they first met, his concern for Jacob and his easy going manner drew her to him. Clay was the one that she went on those afternoon rides and Sunday picnics with. Jacob accompanied them on most of the outings but a few times the young people were alone.

There wasn't anything special about their times together; just that they were together. They held hands and even had a kiss or two when they were alone as all young people do. Clay had been raised to be a gentleman and Rebecca to be a lady so the hand holding and few kisses were all that happened. A lot of their time was spent talking about their hopes, dreams, and goals.

"You've come a long way from that drifter you told me about," Rebecca said on one of their rides. "Mr. Winsor was talking about you to Daddy. He said you were one of his best men. Said you had a future at Pipe Springs for as long as he runs the place."

"Mr. Winsor and the folks at the ranch have been good to me," Clay replied. "Reckon I'll stay put for a spell." He didn't notice the sad look that crossed Rebecca's face.

Clay was going to meet Mr. Winsor to discuss the herd on the far side of the ranch. Winsor thought that with the drought like conditions it would be better to have the cattle closer to the fort. As Clay approached the big gate into the fort he saw Rebecca trying to get past Jasper Young.

Jasper Young had come to Pipe Springs a couple of weeks earlier. He was about 30, tall and lean, and cocksure of himself. He's immediately started giving orders to the wranglers and other workers. No one paid much attention to him and that made him mad. Winsor told him that he'd have to earn the respect of the people at Pipe Springs before they would listen to him. It didn't set well with Jasper.

"You don't understand Rebecca," Jasper said as he grabbed her arm when she tried to step around him. "You could better yourself by marrying me. I'm related to...." he began to say.

"Take your hand off me Mr. Young," Rebecca ordered and she twisted her arm to dislodge his grip.

"Were I you, I'd listen to the lady," Clay said and grabbed Young's wrist. Neither Young nor Rebecca realized that Clay was there until he took hold of Young. Clay put more pressure on Jasper's wrist until the man released his hold on Rebecca.

"Didn't your folks teach you manners?" Clay asked. "Most ladies don't like to be pawed at." He stepped between the two. "You might want to remember that Young. Specially with Miss Sanders here," Clay warned.

Jasper stepped back from the hard look on Clay's face. Rubbing his wrist he asked, "Do you know who I am, you damn cowboy?"

"You're the fellar that's about to be taught some manners by this damn cowboy," Clay replied with steel in his voice. "Step back and go about your business Young."

"I'm directly related to Brother Brigham Young," Jasper said with pride.

Clay gave him an empty look. "Who's Brigham Young?"

"He's the leader of our church and I'll have you thrown off this ranch for interfering with me."

"Well for a preacher he sure didn't teach you any manners, now did he?" Clay replied. "As far as running me off, Mr. Winsor hired me and he's the one that'd have to tell me to leave." He stepped closer to Young. "Leave the lady alone, Young," Clay warned.

Ignoring Clay, he turned back to Rebecca Jasper said, "You could do yourself some good by marrying me Rebecca."

"And which number wife would she be?" Clay asked. "Your second or third?" He turned and took Rebecca by her elbow. "Let me walk you back to your cabin Miss Rebecca."

"Hold on there," Jasper ordered. "This ain't none of your concern."

Clay turned back to see the angry man standing with his hand close to his gun butt; Young's intent was obvious. "I'm makin it my concern. And if you draw that hog leg, I'll kill ya," Clay in a voice cold as the snows up in the mountains.

Jasper Young saw Clay's hard eyes and the way he stood with his hand close to his holstered Colt. For once, the young man made the right decision. He dropped his hand, turned and walked back into Winsor Castle. Walking away, he thought, that man would have killed me sure as hell.

As Clay walked Rebecca back to her cabin, she asked, "Would you have shot him?

Clay saw the concern on Rebecca's face and the tone in her voice. "Remember our talk about the Golden Rule? Yes em. If he'd drawn on me, I would have put him down." He took a breath and added, "This ain't Kansas, Miss Rebecca. Out here you have to face dangers y'all don't have there. Out here you have to ready to defend yourself or you might die. So yes, if Young tried for his gun, I would have shot him."

Rebecca could hear the conviction in Clay's voice and see the wistful almost sad look on his face at the sometimes cruel world he lived in. "What was that about being a second or third wife?" Rebecca asked. It was a question more to change the mood than for information

"You don't know about the Mormons?" Rebecca shook her head and Clay continued. "Men of the Mormon church are encouraged to have more than one wife. From what I've heard it's more like they're required to have two or three wives. The first wife is sorta the boss in the house; the second or third ones are more like the hired help. There's a fellar over to St. George that has four."

"You mean even if I was interested in Jasper, it wouldn't be just him and I?"

"Don't rightly know if he's already married, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be his only wife for the rest of his life," Clay replied.

"Well he's going to have a long wait if he expects me to marry him," Rebecca said. "That pompous ass," she added in a low voice.

"Can you stay for a few minutes to talk?" Rebecca asked and Clay nodded. "Daddy is talking about going on to California pretty soon."

"I know," Clay replied. "Heard him talkin about it over to the blacksmiths. He's still talkin about Visalia in the San Joaquin Valley." He gave what was more of a snort than a laugh. "Hear him talk, it's the Promise Land."

"Daddy feels it is the Promise Land, at least for us. It will give us a chance to settle and have a normal life, Rebecca answered.

The two young people talked for several more minutes and then Clay said good bye to Rebecca and returned to the fort for his meeting with Mr. Winsor. He noticed again how many new faces there were around the fort. All of the outlying cabins were in use, some by more than one family, and there were three wagons close by with families living in them. Sure is getting to be a popular place, he thought.

Winsor motioned for Clay to sit in one of the big chairs in the office when he walked in. Clay accepted a cup of coffee from his boss. For the next hour the men discussed the moving of two of the herds, the best place to move them, and when they would start.

"Heard you had a run in with Jasper," Winsor said trying to hide a smile.

"Hope I didn't cause you any trouble Mr. Winsor, I mean him being related to the head man in your church and all." Clay got a hard look in his eye. "But I wasn't gonna let him make advances to Rebecca." He paused and asked, "Exactly who is this Brigham Young?"

"Brother Brigham is the head of our church," Winsor replied. "And a very important man." He smiled and added, "Don't worry about getting me in trouble. In spite of what Jasper said, he's not a direct relative of Brother Brigham; he's a third cousin twice removed. "

"I'm glad I didn't cause you any trouble," Clay repeated.

Winsor sat for a few seconds and said, "Robert Jackson, the range boss, is going back to Salt Lake City right after the roundup. That's in three months. I'm offering you his job." Winsor held up his hand as Clay started to respond.

"Our people go on missions for the church that last from two to six years. Robert's been here for six years and now it's time for him to return to Salt Lake. I think Pipe Springs needs a range boss that can keep things going the same way from year to year." Winsor smiled at Clay's reaction.

"But I've only been here a few months," Clay replied. "And I'm not a member of your church."

"You've done everything I've asked of you and more." Winsor smiled at the young man. "You take charge of cattle drives, you step in and help with the work on the fort and ponds and you're the first one to help with the work around the ranch, even though it's not your job. Your religious beliefs are your own business."

"What about some of the new men that have come to the ranch? Wouldn't one of them be a better choice?" Clay suggested. "I mean if they're here on a six year mission they'd be around for a spell."

Winsor didn't answer and was quiet for s bit. "Some of the families are here on their missions, but most of the newcomers are sort of on the run." He thought for a bit trying to decide if he should tell Clay the real reason for the increase in population.

"Clay as you've learned our church suggests and encourage our men to marry more than once," Winsor explained. "We feel it's a way to ensure good families, strengthen and grow our faith. Of course that is only part of our creed." Clay nodded his understanding.

"Not everyone agrees with our beliefs. We came here from eastern states like New York, Illinois, and Nebraska just to name a few. In every place we've set up tabernacles or settled we've faced hatred and persecution. In fact the Federal government is actively against us; passing laws and regulations to make us conform to what they think is right. You understand so far Clay?" The young man nodded again.

"Brother Brigham led us to Utah and this area to escape the persecution and so we could continue our way of life." Winsor looked off into the distance through a window and sighed. "Now the government has become more vigilant against us; they've started to enforce their laws even out here. Most of the new families are like refuges; escaping from those laws. Some will be here for quite some time and others will move on shortly."

Winsor refilled Clay's cup. "I'm afraid our faith and way of life will be changed drastically over the next few years." He sighed again. "But back to the present. Will you take the job Mr. Boudreau?"

Clay took a sip of his coffee and thought about what Mr. Winsor wanted to do. Two weeks earlier he would have jumped at the offer. It was more than he could have ever hoped for when he left Santa Fe. But that was two weeks ago.

He'd been having supper with the Sander's one evening and Eli got to talking. Rebecca had joined her father and Clay on the stoop in front of the cabin after cleaning up the supper dishes. "Rebecca and I have just about decided to move on to California," Eli told Clay. "We've been her four months, my leg is pretty much healed and I feel we've paid our debt to Mr. Winsor."

It bothered Clay to hear that Rebecca would be leaving. He'd never come right out and said anything to her but he was beginning to love Rebecca.

Eli interrupted his thoughts. "Why don't you come with us Clay?" "You're good with stock and cattle and I'm sure you can find a place with us in the San Joaquin Valley."

Before Clay could answer Rebecca said, "Please come with us Clay. We would hate not seeing you again." Rebecca put her head down, hesitated and said softly, "Oh the heck with it." Looking up at Clay she added, "I would hate not seeing you again. I've come to look forward to spending time with you every day," she said with a special smile.

The young wrangler looked at Rebecca for several seconds. Reckon that was plain enough, he thought. I had planned on California when I left Santa Fe and I sure wouldn't like not seeing Rebecca again. I've got a real good job here but I could get work in California too. It's a lot to take in.

"When are you leaving?" Clay asked.

"End of the month at the latest," Eli said. "That'll be early April and we'll have to cross Death Valley, that's the hottest part of the desert, so we need to have it behind us before full summer hits. And we need to be over the Sierra Nevada Mountains before winter. Those mountains get a lot of snow and we don't need to get caught in a blizzard."

"Riley Johnson over to the tradin post," Clay looked at Eli to see if he knew Johnson. Eli nodded and Clay continued. "He's been all through that country. He said if he owned Hell and Death Valley, he'd live in Hell and rent out Death Valley."

Eli laughed. "Then I reckon we need to get through it rite quick. The earlier the better."

"I know it's a lot to ask you to leave Pipe Springs," Rebecca said. "Will you at least think about it?"

Clay nodded and stood to leave. "I'll think hard on it Rebecca. See y'all tomorrow."

Now in Winsor's office Clay had a big decision to make. "Can I sleep on the offer Mr. Winsor?"

"By all means, Clay. Take a day or two and let me know your decision."

It didn't take Clay a day or two to make up his mind. The next morning he went to see Mr. Winsor. "I reckon I'll have to say no to your offer sir. I plan on leavin at the end of the month."

"So you're headed out with the Sanders are you?" Winsor said. It was a statement and not a question. "Guess I should have seen that coming, what with the way you've been squiring Miss Sanders around." He offered Clay his hand. "Good luck to you son. I hope you find what you're looking for."

Clay nodded his thanks and went to find Rebecca. He motioned for her to join him at the well as she finished the morning reading class.

"Rebecca, I've decided to come to California with y'all," Clay told her. She smiled and started to respond. He held up his hand to stop her. "I'm only comin with you for one reason." He hesitated and said, "I'm in love with you Rebecca and want to marry you. Ifin you don't feel the same way, I reckon I'll stay at Pipe Springs."

A smile as big as the Grand Canyon broke across Rebecca's face. She took Clay's hand and replied, "Of course I feel the same way. I've just been waiting for you to say something to me." She giggled at the look on Clay's face.

Rebecca and Clay went to see Eli. He looked up as they walked into the blacksmith shop where he was working. Eli put down his hammer and stuck the metal he'd been working on back into the fire.

"So are you gonna get married before we leave or wait until we get to California?" He asked and laughed at their red faces.

********************

Clay and Rebecca decided to marry before leaving Pipe Springs. During late summer, the cow hands on the ranch were always extra busy and worked harder for the round up and branding, but they didn't hold a candle to the women that spring that had a wedding to organize in less than three weeks.

Sam Bettors made an extra trip with his freight wagon hauling in special high grade flour for the pies and cakes that had to be baked. He also brought several bolts of dress goods because not only did Rebecca require a new dress, according to the women, but several of them decided they deserved a new dress too. The men of the Mormon families usually ran the household but for this wedding the smart ones wisely decided to keep their mouths shut and let the women have their way.

Clay found himself standing in front of the meeting room altar in his first store bought suit; the button on collar and string tie were too tight to his way of thinking. Rebecca walked down the aisle on her father's arm wearing a satin dress hand made by two of the women at the fort. Jacob stood next to Clay; proud to have his place of honor as the best man and excited that he was getting a new brother.

Sam Bettors had been Clay's first choice as his best man, but Sam begged off. "Reckon Riley will be celebratin a mite more than is good for him. Best I stay close and make sure he don't fall down or somethin."

Looking over the assembled crowd in the meeting hall, Clay had to laugh. Riley had donated a small keg of whiskey for the festivities and when he was reminded that most Mormons don't drink, took it on himself not to let the whiskey go to waste. There were others that had overlooked the non drinking edict but few to the extent that Riley had. Sam was one of those that helped Riley almost empty the whiskey keg. Riley Johnson was being held upright in his seat by Sam Bettors. The only thing that kept Sam upright was the arm of the pew he and Riley were sitting in.

The wedding ceremony, presided over by Mr. Winsor, was short and to the point. A spread was put out on tables in the meeting room and everyone had a nice supper. Riley and Sam, leaning on each other, took the keg of whiskey back to the trading post; a few of the drovers followed and they continued with their own party. You could hear the laughter and yelling until the wee hours of the morning. Clay and Rebecca slipped out to a line shack to the north of Winsor Castle for their first night as man and wife.

The newlyweds returned to the fort, early the next morning. Their belongings and supplies were supposed to be loaded on the wagon so they could begin their trek to California. But apparently Eli's religion didn't have a restriction on drinking like the Mormons. He hadn't been in any condition to walk much less load the wagon for a long journey. Rebecca was a little upset, but Clay laughed.

"Today or tomorrow or even the next day," Clay said to his new bride trying to calm her. What does it matter?"

"But we should be on....." Rebecca sputtered.

"Wife, we'll go when we're ready," Clay said as he put his arms around her. "And you might show a little of your Christian charity to your father." He pointed to Eli who was trying to stop the world from spinning as he made his way to the outhouse.

Rebecca tried not to grin but couldn't help herself. Then she laughed. "Serves him right," she said and laughed again.

********************

Between Eli's condition and last minute additions to their equipment and supplies, Clay and Rebecca had been married for three days before they could start for California. Mr. Winsor gave Clay two more of the cross breed mustangs he'd gentled and trained; a young filly and a mare. It would be the start of a herd for them. He also gave young Jacob a proven mare, again from the cross breeds.

"You can't ride the wagon the whole way to California Jacob," Winsor said and handed the youngster the reins. "Boy ought to have his own horse for a journey this long. God bless you and a safe journey," he said to Clay, Eli, and Rebecca and then returned to the fort.

Riley Johnson handed Clay a .50 Caliber Sharps buffalo rifle and a half dozen boxes of the metal cartridges for it. "If you need meat this will allow you to shoot from far off. Sometimes a Winchester just don't have the reach, don't you know?" The big man leaned down and whispered in Clay's ear. "If need be, it'll keep any hostiles at a respectable distance too."

Sam Bettors placed two sides of bacon and a 50 pound bag of beans in Clay's wagon. "No need to go hungry boy," he said with a grin. "Been a pleasure and an honor to know you son." Sam turned and walked to where Riley stood.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers