Possessing Bella Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You were not in the right frame of mind at the time and your father did most of the negotiations with Kurt and Rob on your behalf as far as I know. It was a difficult time for everyone. There were no challenges to the will either, when it came to the company," Stephen squeezed her slightly with the arm he had wrapped around her, keeping her close to his side.

"I guessed that but now, I must deal with this on some level," she shrugged. "I need to try and be a grown up and not let my Dad do everything for me if I want them to take me seriously at the company."

"Don't shrug Bella," his voice hardened slightly, so she knew this was a command.

"Yes, Sir Stephen, I'm sorry," Bella said quickly and tried to sit up straighter despite the large muscled arm holding her in place.

"It's unbecoming of a lady and you sweet girl are a lady," his voice softened again as he spoke. "There is more to your story so go on please," he encouraged.

"I still miss Mel, every day. I'm not angry at him for leaving me anymore. I'm not even sure that it is grief I feel so much as a hollow sadness for what could have been but never got the chance to materialise. We never really lived here together. Now that the furniture is gone so is he, the walls and floors hold no memories for me, except maybe that one," Bella pointed to an archway leading to a small corridor and the bathroom.

"I wondered if you knew about some of the hidden fixtures in the apartment," Stephen chuckled.

"Are there more?" She tilted her head to look up at him.

"Indeed and I am happy to show them all to you another time," he smirked.

"We were together just over a month. I could never have learned enough in that time even if I wasn't a brat and hadn't run away like a child," her voice caught but she took a deep breath and went on. "It's so easy to play the "What if" game. What if I hadn't run away and he came after me taking me to Europe so we could spend that time with each other? What if I had forgiven Vince when he came to me that day? What if I had been a good girl and gone home or to my Aunt rather than taking the job with Mel when I finished university?"

"That is never a happy game to play," Stephen tried to hold back from criticising her or putting any pressure on her. Trying to let her speak and get it all out was difficult for a man who liked to be in control of every situation, so he stilled his words and held her as she continued.

"I was locked in that game, those memories, blaming myself for not caring enough about Vince when he had left me everything. I had let myself believe it was just guilt that led him to do it, and that helped me to feel no remorse over his death, no sadness, no pain. I was cruel when I last saw him and still he did this for me," Bella finally let go of the tears that had been welling behind her eyes. "Do you believe in an afterlife?" She asked quietly.

"I'm not sure. I am more of an agnostic, I would like to see the proof before I believe," Stephen said carefully but honestly.

"I've been trying so hard to make Mel proud of me. It was as if he could see me from where ever he is, and I killed his son with cruel words when he reached out for forgiveness," Bella sobbed.

"You forgave him. I was there, I heard every word you said to him and far from being cruel, you were kinder than he deserved. He scared you, and us, by stalking you for weeks," Stephen's voice became hard. "This was not your doing. It was his own. Even with your forgiveness he couldn't face his actions. You have none of the blame for this. None, do you hear me?" He was angry that she felt this way, and he realised his anger had only increased her crying.

"You didn't have to think about any of this at home, did you?" Stephen wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly as she cried and shook her head. "Now that you're back here you have to face it, but you don't have to do it alone. Your father will still manage your interests, and Kurt and Rob will still guide the company and advise you as to the best thing to do. You are one of the strongest women I know, and as you have told me on many occasions, you have so many people looking out for you. None of this is your fault, and if you are not up to dealing with it yet, your friends will understand."

Stephen picked her up and carried her into her bedroom looking for tissues and then placed her on her bed, lying down beside her and pulling her into his arms again. "Let it all go, you will feel better. I will listen without judgement or further comment but know that not one person, even Mel if he watches over you, will blame you for any of this." He stroked her hair gently and held her close as she cried and let her feelings of guilt and grief bubble forth. Feelings she hadn't even realised lay behind the thick wall she had built for herself where Vince was concerned.

Bella fell asleep nestled in Stephen's embrace. When she woke hours later, he was still there with soothing words telling her to sleep, but with the early morning light seeping through her window Bella was ready to get up and face the world again.

"You came to my rescue again," Bella whispered and kissed his neck below his ear. "You have rapidly become my knight in shining armour and I adore you for that. Thank you, Sir Stephen." He turned his head and kissed her fully then, deeply and passionately. She felt the butterflies fill her belly and knew she could be happy waking up to him each morning.

"I need to get up and shower for work," her voice was barely above a whisper and tinged with regret as the kiss ended.

"Me too," he gave a slow suggestive smile, making her blush as he pulled her into another kiss.

"Come on then, lazy bones," Stephen rolled from the bed to his feet dragging her with him and smacking her ass, sending her in the direction of the shower. Walking to the doorway he paused. It would be so easy to take advantage of this moment and indulge his desires. He knew she would welcome it but again the words of Dorothea hung heavy in his mind.

"I'm going to go shower and change into some clean clothes. I have some next door. Jake and I will still use that small apartment unless you need it for visitors," it was a statement rather than a question. He was loathed to relinquish the closeness that apartment afforded him to her on a daily basis.

"Of course," Bella was startled. She felt a tinge of disappointment that Stephen had not intended to shower with her.

"I'll come by tonight and show you those hidden features that you might not know about," he advanced on her to take her in his arms again and kiss her goodbye.

"I was going to get Lincoln to take me to a market after work and pick up a few things for the dinner with Master Charles tomorrow night. I would like to cook now that I have a decent kitchen," she said quietly, unsure if the restrictions on her movements were still in place since they had discovered that Vince was her stalker. Not that she knew he was the reason at the time.

"Leave me a list, and I will get someone to pick up what you need," he immediately offered.

"I'd like to go myself. It's been ages since I squeezed a peach or smelled a fresh pineapple that wasn't already prepared or chosen by someone else," she explained, trying to remember the last time she went food shopping. Aside from with her mother, who was so fussy about produce Bella would never have dared to interfere.

"You could ask Jake to take you to the markets early in the morning when the produce is at its best. He goes at about four, and if you're up to it, he would probably love the company. He can bring whatever you want back when you go to work," Stephen suggested, still not happy for her to be out shopping alone.

"I guess that could work," Bella conceded, realising shopping on her own wasn't yet an option with so many people keeping tabs on her. "I'll call him later and see if he minds me tagging along."

"I doubt anyone would mind spending time with you, little one," Stephen said gently. "Have a good day at work. I will see you this evening." Kissing her forehead, he turned and left her apartment.

Bella sighed. Stepping into the shower, she considered how being back here had made her feel again. Confused and uncertain. It was time, she realised, to take control of her life again. She had become Mel's by choice. All these people who made decisions for her now did it by Mel's choice; he gave them that role in her life. For the most part, she loved them and was extremely grateful that she had them to turn to for help and advice. She was yearning for some of the freedoms of her old life and just the simple choices of going shopping after work if she wanted seemed not to be hers ever again unless she spoke up.

Considering the best approach to regaining some of those freedoms, she decided to invite Kurt to dinner tomorrow night along with Charles and Rob and make sure that Stephen knew the invitation extended to him. Taking a deep breath, she straightened letting the hot water wash the soapy bubbles from her freshly scrubbed skin. She had needed to cry last night. It was like a purge of all the guilt and sadness left over from remaining so stoic during the funeral and will reading. This morning she felt cleansed in more ways than just what the shower afforded her.

It was time to put on her big girl panties and step up into the life she wanted. The life Mel had made possible for her. She could be a level headed and decisive business woman and still enjoy the lifestyle and relationship of her choosing at home. Mel had managed to compartmentalise his life in many respects. It was time she reconnected with her long term friends and started being more than just that poor little girl who used to belong to Mel. She didn't need to be cossetted or wrapped in cotton wool anymore. She needed the love, affection and care of her friends and family as well as a relationship like that which Stephen offered her, where she could have it all. Or at least she thought she might be able to.

*****

Bella revelled in being back at work. She and Andrew spent the morning pouring over all of the research and development he had done on various aspects of the business in her absence. He was confident and strong, and she could see him fitting into the Alpha male world of the Masters she knew. Despite his dominant personality, he had made no final decisions without her. He brought her the best of his ideas and hard work to make those decisions that would ultimately guide the small business into the market place and ensure its survival there.

She had hoped to meet with Rhys during the afternoon, but Kurt has asked her to block out the afternoon for a meeting of the company executives. She had known there would be issues to sort through once she returned, but she was so eager to work on her business plan she wished she could have deferred what she knew would be a difficult meeting.

Andrew had managed to find three possible locations for their first retail outlet that had enough space for an adjoining workshop. They were discussing when they might go to view them when she was startled by a familiar voice coming from the foyer of her office suite. Looking up from her desk her eyes widened in surprise.

"Dad? What are you doing here? Is Mum alright?" She spoke fast as her mind raced with all the possibilities of why her father would be standing in her office after only just seeing him the day before at home.

"I'm just in town for a meeting," Joe immediately reassured her. "Your mother is off with her friends at some gallery showing of the Renaissance Masters. We're going to stay in that nice place you got us a room in the last time we were in town."

"She didn't come to say hello with you?" Bella was even more surprised.

"We were running late, so she went straight to the gallery. We just spent two weeks with you so we didn't think you would mind. We could meet you for dessert later tonight if you like," he offered. "I would have thought you had seen enough of us lately though."

"It's good to see you again, Mr. Biancotti," Andrew extended his hand and shook Joe's. "I'll leave you two to talk."

"I have a meeting to get to myself," Bella said apologetically to her father. "There is so much to catch up on after being away so long," she wrinkled her nose as if in distaste. "Andrew, could you see if we can schedule those viewings this week, please?" She called after her disappearing assistant.

"Yes, Ma'am," he replied with a grin and stepped out of the room.

"These are more comfortable than they look," Joe said taking a seat on one of the Roman stools that decorated the office. He turned to look at her then and motioned her closer. "We need to talk before the meeting."

"What do you mean?" Bella came to sit opposite him.

"I'm here as your lawyer, not your father today. I will be coming to your meeting with you," Joe said without preamble. "You are an extraordinarily wealthy young woman now, my lovely girl," he smiled. "I know that Kurt and Rob both seem to have your best interests at heart, but who can protect you and your interests better than your dear old Dad."

"I see," Bella caught her lip between her teeth. She trusted her father implicitly and if he felt the need to be here she was grateful, but she doubted that there was any need when it came to Rob and Kurt. They loved her, and this could get complicated if matters outside of work reared up and took her by surprise.

"You were quite emotional and refused to discuss a great many issues when you became a partner here after Mel's death. It will be different this time. You will have a say on what occurs to your shares. This is not a public company, and you are no longer a junior partner in terms of holdings.

"You also have a stake in a gentleman's club that Rob manages, and you may or may not be aware of its less than savoury reputation," he paused to see her reaction. He misread the shock on her face as being one of not knowing rather than of her shock at his accurate description. He held off telling her its location in the basement of the building in which she lived. He was pleased she appeared not to know what went on there, though he was sure she was far more experienced in some things than he wanted to know about after being in a relationship with Mel. Bella said nothing but sat chewing on her lip unsure of what to say in the face of her father's bluntness.

"I had asked for a delay to the meeting while we talk about a few things I would like to see you do and agree to before the business world find out to whom Vince left his shares. I am afraid with great wealth comes great notoriety, and you need to be prepared," Joe chuckled. "Just in case the second of my girls starts getting the same attention as her mother seems to everywhere she goes." He winked at Bella.

"Let's find an empty office with a proper desk or a board room where can we go over a few things," Joe suggested. "Do you think Andrew could order us some lunch?"

Andrew found them an empty space with a large table and went and brought them food from the cafeteria himself as Joe slowly and carefully outlined what had happened to Vince's will. He explained that he had negotiated with the old lady and returned the property to the family placing it in Jenny's name alone. The money and business shares he had made sure she had retained and it was a sizable amount, almost doubling the already considerable wealth she had amassed since Mel's death.

She was one of the richest young people in the country and probably would be included in the media releases of the top fifty richest people in the country articles. Bella realised that because she trusted those around her so implicitly, she had never asked exactly how much she owned or got paid in profits. Or even if she got a salary as she had when she was just a PA. She knew that Mel had made her financially independent, but she hadn't taken in the true meaning of the words until now, sitting and looking at the spreadsheets and paperwork her father had prepared for her.

"Why now?" Bella finally asked. "We have had many conversations and you have never given me such a detailed picture of my finances before."

"It's time. You're ready for this and to start taking some control of your future," he took her hand in his. "Vince's legacy changes things for you. Now you not only have the money but you have the power to make some real changes in this company and the business world at large." He paused letting that sink in. "Kurt is the CEO and does a damn fine job but you could challenge his decisions. Rob owns fifty percent, Kurt twenty percent, and you, my darling, own thirty. That puts you in a position of power here. A position many may resent as unearned."

"I just want to create my little jewellery shop and see it thrive. I don't want to wheel and deal in big business," Bella said appalled by what her father was saying. "Why does this have to make a difference?"

"If you let Kurt use your stake in proxy as he has been doing, then any time he and Rob came to loggerheads it would be a stalemate. You would then have to come in and make the decision between them," Joe patiently explained.

Suddenly Kurt's insistence that she be part of the executive and learn about the business became clear to her. He had always held the proxy to her stake in the company and unknown to her also Vince's stake. Rob had not shown much interest in how the company was run, but Bella knew Rob probably kept a closer eye on it than he pretended.

"This will all be covered in the meeting I am sure, but I wanted you forewarned. Now as your father, I want you to make sure you keep up all the security precautions Mel put in place. Having a driver and living in that building where only the residents can use the lifts. There are a lot of hustlers and unscrupulous people out there just waiting to hitch a ride on a rich young girl's coat tails," He said seriously. Then chuckled, "I doubt any of them would make it past Stephen, but you need to be aware and careful even amongst your friends, understand?"

"I love you," Bella impulsively hugged her father. He was the one man in her life who never left her feeling confused and uncertain. "I am so lucky to have you and Mum."

"It's been a tough year, not just for you but us too. We thought we would lose you more than once," he said sadly. "Our hearts broke having to let you work it all out on your own when all we wanted to do was love you and help you through everything," his voice broke. "You are our world and we love you more than life itself."

"It is, for this reason," he enunciated each word slowly while pulling himself together and disentangling her arms from his neck, "That we would like you to do something for us."

"Name it!" Bella exclaimed, blinking her teary eyes.

"There is a small, non-government organisation who works with the families of those who are victims of violent crimes to help them to help their loved ones," he paused and looked at her. "Your mother and I would like to become patrons of this organisation and have you set up a trust of funds for them. They were a great source of comfort and friendship for us over the last year." Joe admitted.

"Of course," she exclaimed. "You can draw up the necessary paperwork and I will give whatever you think is needed. I can certainly afford it." She considered for a moment chewing her lip as her father began to gather the papers on the desk as he regathered his thoughts from the emotional moment they had shared.

"I think there may be one or two other charities that I would like to support. Do you think there is a way to keep a donation totally anonymous?" Bella asked with bright-eyed enthusiasm.

"There is but I would like to look at any charity before gifting them a sizable sum of money," Joe cautioned her.