Providence Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And then suddenly his hands were free as the knife cut the rope with one swipe.

He expelled a breath he wasn't even aware he had been holding, and his eyes flew up to hers to silently inquire why.

Her voice was low and harsh. "If I find out you lied to me ... I'll kill you myself."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"It's not too much further," Payton said over her shoulder to the group of survivors following her lead back to the cave.

The final sun was beginning to set in the horizon, allowing the heat to pass. Long shadows of the group were cast along the sand as the made their way across the desert.

Cora hung in back, watching the Aevarian group carefully, obviously still skeptical of their intentions. They had said they had come to Cantu for refuge, and eventually revenge, of Cyrus. She could understand their reasoning, but their story wasn't all that believable. Surviving Cyrus's initial attack in the first place? A Rumigan outrunning two Midori ships? A purple cloud destroying their enemy and hurtling the Rumigan through the galaxy? Yeah right.

"You know, you can put the gun down," Will said over his shoulder to Cora.

"Or I could shoot you and be done with it."

That smirk was back on his face as he turned to her and said, "Oh I see. You're back there to check out my bod?"

"You wish."

He shook his head, exasperated already with the woman that just didn't seem to quite. "You know, we're not here to hurt you. We're here to help. You don't need to watch us like a hawk."

"Maybe I do. You know, after the attack on Cantu ... after they raided Zamora, and killed my father ... yeah, I think I deserve to be a little wary of any 'visitors.' "

Will stunned quiet after her confession, not knowing what to say. So he didn't say anything.

There was something about this Cora person that intrigued him. She was feisty, and smart, and damn stubborn. And okay, beautiful too. A soldier with attitude to spare, and she was pointing her gun at his back. Not at the group ... at him. What did he do to piss her off? All he did was defend his friends against her very certain wrath. He assumed he could just breathe and she would be livid. And damn if it didn't turn him on just a little bit.

They neared the cave, a large outcropping of boulders next to a substantial wall of rock scaling over one hundred feet tall. The opening to the cave was small; a scout would probably miss it if he weren't looking for it. It was tucked behind one large boulder, and the shadows of the rocks hit the black opening in the wall.

Cora and Payton had given them zero details of what to expect, and for all they knew they were walking into another trap. But their options were running out, and accepting any help was a relief.

Payton entered first, squeezing through the opening between the boulder and the wall. Next was Isabel, followed by Nic who was now carrying a sleeping Mabyn. Rylie and Alec were next. Bo and Devlin ushered Koen inside.

Lastly, William and Cora.

He stepped aside at the last minute, genuinely offering, "Ladies first?" Cora eyed him carefully, and then entered waited for him to cross the threshold of their refuge.

It was dark inside, and Will's eyes took a minute to focus to the dim lighting provided with mounted torches. As Payton led the group, they passed guards who eyed the newcomers warily. Everyone was silent as they traveled further and further, and William noticed that, the further they traveled, the smaller the tunnel grew. When they had first entered, the cave had been some twenty feet tall. Now, the ceiling of the tunnel they traveled nearly scraped his head.

When he turned to Cora and asked the silent question, she responded, "It's not too much further."

With that she slung her gun over her shoulder, relinquishing her watch on the reclusive man named William, and prepared for the extensive explaining her and Payton were sure to undertake.

The tunnel finally opened into the larger cave. It was filled with light, large torches burning in every corner. Dozens of people were scattered, carving or whittling or cooking or cleaning. Koen hadn't expected so many survivors. But then, Payton had said that Cyrus had not been out so much for blood as he had been for supplies and resources. What little Cantu had had to offer, Cyrus had taken.

Koen was still curious how Cyrus had kept the raid on Cantu a secret from the other planets in the Rylan system, or at the very least Aevar. He was certain that if his father had caught wind of Cyrus's actions, Eamon would have renounced the agreement and taken action against him.

Aevar had never heard anything of the attack on Cantu or its people. But it was dangerous to play the 'what if' game, and so Koen quietly let the issue go.

He felt a strange kinship with the survivors, some of which were now looking at him with interest, while others remained oblivious to their presence. Koen looked at the ragged faces of children, women, and men who had sought refuge in the cave on the small dune planet. Some younger than Mabyn, some nearing the final days of their natural life.

They approached another large tunnel, and as they turned to enter it, movement to his right caught his eye. There was a group of young boys and girls with swords in hand, taking instruction from a woman. They followed her movement exactly. When she lifted her sword, so did they. When she took a step, so did they. When she swung at an invisible enemy, so did they. The woman's movements were precise, and calculated. She was sure of herself, her confidence radiated from her being.

She turned towards him and he caught her face, and he sucked in a surprised breath. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes on. The low light in the cave gave her skin a rich, bronze color. Her hair was a cascade of chocolate brown waves that fell to the middle of her back. Her large brown eyes were expressive but guarded, as if she held secrets deep inside her.

Something about her called to him ... to his soul. It was as if he recognized her, and as they entered the tunnel and she disappeared from his view, he swore that he would find her again.

He had to.

12