Redemption Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers

The guys just looked embarrassed at each other, with no one brave enough to answer Amber's questions. "Well...! John, what happened or do I have to get the wives club involved?"

"No...! No, he didn't tell us he was being... How do you know all this?" Marty said quickly. His wife was the leader of the wives club and she'd never forgive him if she found out they went to a strip club while out of town.

I overheard this cunt demanding money... She said she has evidence. Did my brother rape this bitch...?"Amber knew most of these guys from school and they knew she threw a mean right cross.

"No, he passed out after the last shooter. We all laughed because he was in the middle. Of a lap..."

"Shut the fuck up Jimmy!" John yelled.

"So, you big bad firemen are going to let your brother.... No strike that; MY brother, take the heat for something he didn't do? Why...? Just so your wives don't find out you went to a titty bar without their permission...? What a joke. You'd let his wife divorce him and let her think that.... You make me sick! There isn't a real man among you!"

"Miss. Mouser... I'll take it from here." the Captain walked in, all three hundred and fifty pounds of him. "We will fix this, I promise." He tried to reassure the irate woman.

"Are you going to get him into rehab? If not...!" Amber turned and confronted the big man.

"Yes, tell your mom and Mary not to worry, Trace will be taken care of. When he comes out, he'll have to prove himself again, but then so will this lot. I foresee a few transfers. He'll be only one step above a probie, but at least he'll have his job. He should have come to me with this...." The big man patted Amber and scooted her out the door, giving his men a meaningful look.

"What are we going to do about that woman who's blackmailing my brother?" She asked the Captain, looking around at the rest of the losers her brother called friends, as they shuffled their feet.

"I'll take care of that too. Can I trust you to keep this on the down low? If this comes out... well...." He tried to get her out of there before one of the big mouth probie's heard and fucked it all up.

"Yeah well, just get that bitch off my brother, or I will." Amber told him as he walked her to her mom's car.

"Have Mary get us some of Trace's clothes. He'll need them. He will be in rehab for six weeks at least. I'll let her know more later." The Captain closed her door and waited until she pulled out before letting his rage vent as he walked back into the firehouse. "All of you... on the line; like right fucking now!" He bellowed, calling his men to order, ready to take huge hunks out of their asses.

Amber knew the small town messenger service worked fast, but laughed when the wives club and Sherry were waiting for her after she dropped of Trace's clothes and watched as they dragged her brother to rehab. Even Mary made it. John's wife, Peggy, told everyone that this would be the last official meeting, because three of the husbands were most likely being transferred to other houses. They knew they all were still in the regional wives club, but the closer knit local club had to be ready to accept the new wives coming in over the next month or so.

Amber refused to tell them what happened. She just told Mary that there was a reason, no matter how stupid, that her husband went over the edge. She also told her that Trace hadn't cheated on her, but there might be some stuff that could come out, that might make her think that way. They were pressuring Amber, when the Captain's wife came in. For someone so small, she carried a lot of weight.

"Alright ladies... There are reasons Amber can't talk... Jimbo's orders for one! You'll just have to be thankful she pulled your husband's asses out of the fire. I think we should adopt her as a sister in waiting. You never know, with her stones, she'd make a killer fireman's wife... hell, she'd make a good fireman!" She let the women stew over that before proclaiming.

"Now, next on the agenda, when and where are we going to hold Mary's shower? It should have been done months ago!" The topic changed, and everyone left in a better mood than when they came. The only one who stayed was Sherry.

She stayed to help clean up and take the night watch so Amber could get some rest. It seemed odd to Amber, that Sherry looked relieved when she said it was okay for her and Allen Jr. to stay. She saw the plump little woman jump when her cell phone went off in the diaper bag. Sherry plastered a smile on her face and tried to sound cheerful as she answered.

"Hi, what's up honey?" She walked out of the same room as Amber. "Yes I'm at the Mouser's... Allen junior and I are going to take the night watch." Amber heard the angry voice over the other end even if she couldn't make out the words. "I made you some fried chicken... It's in the fridge... I love you, bye." Amber wondered if Sherry said that for Allen's or her benefit.

"Is everything okay?" Amber asked.

"Oh, yeah... he's just use to me spoiling him." She looked hesitant, but then turned off the phone and put it away. "I love him if for no other reason than Allen junior.... He just sounds like a grouchy old bear."

"How did you end up with him in the first place?" Amber asked. "I'd never thought you'd fall for the likes of him. He was such a bad boy."

"I was surprised when he asked me out. It's not like I had the choices you did, I'm not pretty like you are." She started.

"You're a little over weight, but you've always looked nice." Amber interrupted, as they sat down in the porch swing.

"Well let me tell you, they weren't busting down my door. Allen can be nice when he set's his mind to it. Oh, I know he's a bit country, but still... he is funny too. Most people have started calling him Mater after that funny character on the cartoon. I really shouldn't have worn white to my wedding, but I wasn't showing yet."

"Oh, um..." Amber didn't know what to say

"I know it was quite a disappointment to my mom too. But things happen for a reason and I do have a lovely baby out of the deal." Sherry smiled down at her son.

Amber didn't know what to say. She thought back to the last year and a half and thought of all she did, and wondered how Sherry would take it. For some unknown reason, Amber kept her mouth shut. She didn't want to admit it, but she missed the quiet nights and talking to her friend. They stayed up until almost daylight, chatting and getting to know each other again.

***

Amber was walking downtown, getting the mail and a few other things done, when she saw the 'Help Wanted' sign on the bank door. She knew she had the experience, but did she really want to start setting down roots? Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and looked for Mr. Kleptch, the Manager of the bank. She waved to the grey haired old man as he came up.

"Well hello Amber... how is your mother doing?" He asked kindly.

"Better, they're optimistic that she'll be able to start talking again soon. Her exercises are going faster than expected."

"Good... good, how can I help you today? Your mom signed the Power of Attorney..." He steered her toward one of the empty desks.

"I wanted to talk to you about the sign in the window... Do you still need help?"

"Oh yes, that..., Mrs. Stevenson... well I had to retire her. Do you know anyone with some experience?" He asked politely.

"Yes, I do... I've worked at a bank for over four years. I was up for a head teller position, before my mother's stroke...." She knew it wasn't too big a lie, she was on the list. True she was the last name on the list, but her name was there.

"Really, why don't we go in and give you the test and have you fill out an application." His smile got really big. He rather see the opening go to someone local, than have to take the transfer that corporate office was trying to foist off on him. "I know we don't have to worry about references with you, but I do need to know if you have any training on the new online banking systems. We are implementing them at the end of the month."

"Yes, most of our transactions were done online. Both customer and bank transfers. Which system are you installing?" She chatted with the old man knowing he didn't understand the first thing about computers. She saw his old style leather ledger on his desk.

An hour later, she left feeling better. She knew there were the mandatory background checks and her fingerprints were still on file. So, if everything went well, she should be able to go to work the next Monday. She saw Sherry and waved. She called her over and invited her for a quick soda at the diner.

"Whatcha doin...?" Sherry asked. "You sure look better than that first day. I'm glad you're looking happier."

"Yeah well, I think I just got a job at the bank. It will take the burden off my mom's meager retirement account. Not that I'd ever thought I'd settle down in this town." Amber smiled. "When you coming over again? I enjoyed our last night together. It's been awhile since I could just talk." She surprised herself. She never thought that she would look back the day she hitched a ride to the closest airport, ready to buy a ticket to anywhere far, far away.

"Oh, I don't know... I don't want to impose. Besides, Allen doesn't like me to be anywhere other than home after dark." Sherry smiled at the invitation.

"Sweetie, he's your husband, not your father." Amber saw Allen pull his dilapidated tow truck up next to Sherry's van and get out. "Speak of the devil... He just pulled up." She was surprised by the naked fear in Sherry's eyes and Allen pushed the door open.

"Sherry, you get yourself home right now. My momma can't watch Little Allen anymore." He didn't wait for Sherry to get up and he grabbed her arm. "What you doin here anyways... we aint got no money to be wasting on these girly drinks. I need more beer, stop and get some on the way home. I got to go out on a call, now get amovin." He pulled her behind him.

"Allen, I paid for her drink." Amber tried to defuse some of Sherry's husband's anger. Allen just nodded and pulled his wife behind him out of the diner and down the walkway. Amber heard him berate her all the way to her car.

"What the hell you doin sneekin around with that citified bitch again for? I told you never to talk to her unless I say so. Don't you think you gonna get no fancy air and graces from that coon smellin cunt. Like her shit don't stink or somthin. Comes back here all high and mighty, like she's the queen bee. You aint nothing but a dumb, fat, county wife, and not too good at that. Don't burn my dinner and I might stick it to you tonight. Ifin you ever want a little brother for Junior; you better mind me!"

Amber looked around at everyone, who looked everywhere else, but at the abuse Sherry was getting from her husband. They knew not to interfere. Allen had the best and only open auto shop in town, and if they ever needed their car fixed.... She saw the new shop going up at the old 76 station, and wished the new guy luck. Sighing, she got up and headed home. It was times like these, when she remembered why she left in the first place.

***

Amber started her new job, and even broke down and made an appointment at the clinic to make sure everything had healed and she was over her bout of STI's. She played it off as an annual employment check, so none of the busybodies at the clinic would know about her issues.

She hoped that old Doc Willard had retired, but didn't hold her breath. She was pleasantly surprised as a younger woman came in. "Hello Ms. Mouser... I'm Doctor Letty. I'm new here, so we've never met." She was all business as she scooted Amber down into the stirrups.

"Um, yeah well, I've just come back to help my mother." Amber said trying to relax.

"Yes, that's what I've been told. Also some mysterious whispers about a big to do at the fire department...." She looked under the paper sheet, spread the speculum and said. "Well there is some minor scaring, but other than that, you look clean and clear. I'll need to do a smear just to be sure. You might not want to be quite so vigorous when you have sex for the next few months. Your cervix is healing, but..."

"It's okay doc... um I'm like on the none plan for the foreseeable future. I've just starting at the bank... um can I get a full check up and tested for like AIDS, Hepatitis and whatnot? Just to be sure... you know."

"Sure, you can never be too careful." She said as she pulled off her gloves. "Of course the best way to stay clean and STI free, is abstinence, but you're an adult." She pulled her chart over and made some notes. "Nurse Parker will come in and draw the blood. They'll contact you if there is a result you need to know about. Have a good day." She breezed out just as quickly as she came in, leaving Amber to get dressed and try to wipe whatever goop they used, out of her with the flimsy paper cover.

When she came out, she saw Sherry coming in. She also saw the black eye under the big sun glasses. "What happened to you?" She asked as she held the door open for the stroller.

"Oh, clumsy me, I walked right into the door. You know how I'm always rushing around..." She tried to smile, but the pain stopped her. Amber took a good look and whispered.

"Honey, doors don't wear rings. If you ever need any help... let me know." Amber let her walk past, knowing if she stopped to talk, Allen would hear about it.

"Thanks, but I'll be alright... He didn't mean it. He just kicked the stroller... I left it out and well...." She muttered as she pushed Allen Jr. to the counter for his check up. Amber shook her head and walked out. If Allen had been there, she'd introduce him to his own nuts, even if she had to cut them off to do it. She hated abusive men.

It saddened her, that the first conversation she was able to have with her mother ended up being a lecture about butting in where things might have worked out by themselves. She hated thinking that her mother was privy to these kinds of things, but never did anything about them while she was the pastor's wife. If Amber saw a wrong, her first instinct was to right it.

It took her first three paychecks to buy back most of her mother's stuff. She knew that she missed some of the more expensive items, because the pawn ticket had expired and Hal needed to make money to stay in business. She also knew there were a lot of the ladies in town who envied her mother's collectibles from all over the world.

In some ways, it was like Amber had never left. She was well known in town and most people would say hi as they passed. Spring flowers were fading with the onset of the summer heat, as Amber walked into the bank. As soon as she started to get to work, the manager and the new assistant, who everyone knew was going take over when the old man retired, called Amber into the office.

"Hi Amber, I'm Mr. James... I know I haven't been able to get to know everyone yet, but with the new banking procedures I've been busy. Anyway, the reason we called you in, is because looking over your qualifications, and after talking to the manager at the bank you used to work at. We've decided to make you the new lead teller. You will be working less on the front counter, and more in training the other tellers on the online banking options to sell to our customers." He would have said more, but Regina, the manager's secretary, poked her head in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but there is a call for Ms. Mouser... It's the hospital. Her sister has gone into labor." The dowdy older woman said with a big smile. As in all small towns, babies were a big thing in Stillwater.

"Oh well, yes... Um, we can deal with this later." Mr. James said uncomfortable. "When you can, come see me and we can go over your responsibilities and whatnot."

"Thank you sir... I'm sorry; I'll be back as soon as I can." Amber responded stunned. Her head spun as she went and picked up her mom. As they headed to the clinic, her mom surprised her more.

"Congratulations." She said clearly for the first time.

"Wow mom, that's great... almost no slurring at all." Amber looked over at her mom with a smile.

"Yes... I heard promotion." Her words were clearer, but she still couldn't say a full sentence. There was still a lot of therapy before she could speak normally again, if ever.

"Yeah, you probably knew before I did. I was in a meeting when they called. Do you think they will let Trace out to see his child born?"

"Hope so." Mildred put her hand on Ambers and looked forward.

When they got there, Mildred went to see Mary as Amber waited out in the hallway. She didn't want intrude where she didn't know if she was welcome. While standing there, her brother, escorted by an older man, came in.

"Hey, Trace... how's rehab going?" Amber asked pleased that her brother looked better. His hair was cut and the slump in his shoulders wasn't as pronounced.

"Amber... what are you doing here?" Trace asked curtly.

"I drove mom over... she's in with Mary now. I'm waiting out here until Mary says if I can go in or not."

"Well don't stay on my account..." He bit off looking at the older man.

"Who's that...?" Amber asked wondering at the man who watched every move her brother made.

"My sponsor... he's here to make sure I don't drink while I'm out of rehab. Not even some Champaign for the birth of my son."

"Oh, Mary is having a boy?" Amber hadn't heard of this.

"She better... boy first as is right... Look Amber, why don't you just butt out? You're not wanted here. Just go back to the city you're so fond of and quit interfering with my life. I had everything under control." He would have said more, but their mother stepped in between them and shocked Amber.

She reached back and slapped Trace across the face. "Shut up! You have wife and job only of Amber!" She wanted to say more but she got to excited. As a nurse and Trace's chaperone helped her to a seat. Trace spat out.

"Now look what you've done. Go away... this is just as much my child, and I don't want you here. Go away!" He stopped when his mother slapped him again, this time with as much force as she could muster, leaving a welt of her hand across his face.

"I said shut up...! If you ever take from my house again... I call Dan Burns myself." She hissed the Police Chief's name. "You need thank Amber... She saves almost all. She saves you marriage.... You are Spoiled Brat!" She poked him in his chest with her fist to make her points.

"Mom... calm down... you can't get too excited or you could have another stroke." Amber pleaded, not wanting to go through that again.

Mildred nodded once. "Go see wife... come out better at...atti..."

"Attitude...!" the sponsor said, giving Trace a look that said more than words.

When Trace entered the room, Amber's mother put her hand on Amber's face. "You good girl... sometime do thing wrong, but do right thing. I proud of you."

"Oh, mom... I love you too..." Amber cried as she hugged her mom. She never knew how much she needed to hear that from her parent. When she found out that Mary wanted to see her, she wiped her eyes and walked in as Trace walked out, not looking at her.

"Hi, Amber...." She groaned through another contraction. "Thanks for bringing mom... I just talked to Trace and he's not too happy." She panted as the pain eased. "I've got hours to go... so, um, as long as you and Trace aren't in here at the same time... If it's a girl I'm naming her after you."

"Why... don't! Trace will have a fit." Amber protested.

"It's not his choice right now. He's still got a long way to go before he's back in my good graces. I love him, but I've had my eyes opened." She sat up straighter. "I cornered the Captain's wife and made her spill the beans after my shower... thanks for the bunting.... She told me the truth. If he didn't trust me enough to tell me... well, he has a lot to learn. If I never see the rest of them again, it will be too soon. Nothing but a bunch of babies."

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,185 Followers
123456...9