Redwood Nine Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I understand, Jake, but you have to admit, that looked out of this world awesome."

Jake could see how taken JT was by the spectacle and then shared what he knew and they didn't.

"Do you know where they're going? Do you know the purpose of that run they're making? I know you don't, because if you saw what I saw, you wouldn't be thinking the way you are now."

JT and Piney looked at Jake, trying to figure out what they missed and Jake knew they didn't have a clue.

"You didn't see the guns they had. I saw a few that were showing from under their cuts and know they're going somewhere to make a point with them. With who, I don't know, but you don't ride with that many guys and carry guns, just to club ride. That's what I'm talking about."

JT and Piney were aghast at the mention of guns. They were shocked that they hadn't even noticed and how unaware they were when they looked at something. Jake was once again opening their eyes to the reality of things, things that killed men and dreams.

"No fucking way, Jake. They all had guns?"

"I didn't see if every guy had one, but I saw enough, to guess every one was packing one. That's not the type of club you want to lead JT, trust me. If you do, you'll be saying goodbye to a lot of your brothers and that shows a lack of love for them, if you're willing to drive down the road filled with danger and trouble."

JT thought hard on what Jake was telling him. His responsibilities were not only to himself, but to every member, as it was in his hands to decide. He looked back at the hill the bikes went over, imagining now if that was as exciting as he previously thought. Jake saw the mood had turned serious and didn't want them to dwell on it too much and distract them from the ride back.

"JT, you too, Piney, just think more on where you want this club to go, before you get into anything. Only takes one thing to set a whole lot of trouble in motion. Anyway, think on that later. Let's get these bikes back on the road, we have to go show them off to a man, who will be very pleased to see them."

Jake's mention of Piney's dad brought the focus of the ride back to them, but the knowledge shared, was now being processed in each of their heads, as they broke the calm and brought the engines to life. The ride back, brought the wind in their faces again, smiles forming more with every corner they leaned in to. Jake drove back east along I-580 and back over the mountain ridge, heading down to the valley. The big sweeping curve to the right, had them skirting the base of it, as they headed south.

The land was arid and dry, almost desert like, save a few sparse outcroppings of vegetation. It was like a line of green painted on the horizon, as they approached the thousands of acres of orchards and crops. Jake pointed it out and shouted as loud as he could, that they were at the viaduct and would be heading back after they got off the 580.

Jake took the long, sweeping cutoff to SR132, rising up on the overpass, giving a panoramic view of the plantations. Piney almost lost control, becoming too engrossed in the scenery and had to slow down and get a handle on it again, before he caught up to JT and showed his fright. JT laughed and gave his bike a bit more throttle, leaving him behind. Piney came off the curve and twisted his harder, hearing the V twin blare out the power through the exhaust. JT caught up to Jake and swung around him on the left and then Piney followed after. Jake twisted his throttle, a smile coming to his face, as the straight away stretched out before them.

JT kept his throttle full, letting the bike go to its limit in top gear. Piney began closing the distance, the Indian twin more powerful and Piney smiled, as he leaned into the wind to cut down drag. Just as they got neck and neck, Jake's bike roared past them both in the opposite lane, leaving them both behind. When Jake had proved he beat them, he backed off on the throttle and the engine burped and belched, as the pressure released slowly. JT and Piney caught up and then Jake motioned to slow right down, that they would be taking the off ramp on the clover leaf up ahead. They formed a line and leaned into the circular curve, keeping the speed well above the posted caution limit, then began roaring along I-5 again and back towards Lodi.

The long, straight road brought back higher speeds, as eyes travelled back and forth for signs of the law. They came to where the 205 cut off started and headed east on SR120 taking a different way back. They were coming up on Manteca, where they would take the ramp to go north on SR99 towards Sacramento, when something caught Jake's eye and he began slowing down. JT and Piney spotted it too and wondered what it was, Coming closer, it became evident what was causing the flashes of light.

It took little for three veterans to understand the need to take action and twisted the throttles as much as they could, taking the sweeping bend to the left to avoid the gunfight. The club they saw earlier, was engaged in a gun battle with another club, from what they could tell. Staying low on the bike, JT looked over, at the scene, seeing bodies and bikes on the ground, flashes going off repeatedly.

They escaped unscathed and kept looking back over their shoulders, eyeing the scene behind them. They followed Jake's lead and stayed low and sped up as the road straightened. They came up to the first interchange and a quick look to the left, they saw numerous police cars heading towards the scene, but two took the on ramp to the direction they were going. Jake knew they were safe now and had no reason to worry and began slowing down, as the cruisers approached. The lights and siren had them pulling over and were shortly cut off on both ends, the officers getting out with guns drawn and taking cover behind their vehicles.

"On the ground, now! Hands above your heads, Now! Do it!"

There was no hesitation by them, as they got off their bikes and laid face down and put their hands behind their heads. One officer came over with his gun pointed at them and began frisking them, checking for weapons, while the other radioed in they had them and continued covering them with his weapon as well. When they were satisfied they weren't armed, they asked for identification and the guys reached in their pockets and took their wallets out and showed it to them. The officer took it and gave it to the other officer, who ran them through the system. Jake looked at the cop and got his attention.

"We're not part of that back there. We just came to the interchange, when we saw the gangs shooting at each other, so we got the hell out of there. You can see we don't have patches on our backs."

The cop let them sit on the ground, as he waited for the information on them to come back.

"Do you know who those guys are back there?"

"Hell's Disciples and the El Locos. There's been something going on between them for some time now. Guess it happened. So what did you see?

They began explaining the scene and the carnage of man and machine. By the time they finished telling them of all they knew, the officer was guessing it was a chance meeting, or a planned ambush, or maybe a bit of both. The other cop came over with their identifications and handed them back, saying they came back clean. The first officer moved his cruiser out of the way, allowing the guys to start their bikes again and pull out on the highway again.

The mood became a sobering moment in riding for them, as they cruised in silence, reflecting on the event. The next thirty miles back up 99 and across to Charming, had their first ride over and filled with much to digest about a club and the reality of what they were up against. They pulled up in front of Piney's parents house and backed in on an angle, then shut the bikes off. Before the echo of the engines wore away, Stan was out of the house and coming to them, followed by Lorelei. Stan greeted Jake warmly and hugged both JT and Piney, then grinned at seeing the bikes. Lorelei said hello to Jake, but quickly went to Piney and JT and loved on them. Under the circumstances, neither objected to it and returned it with the same affection to her, despite eyes peering out of windows at them.

Stan took a quick look at Jake's and JT's bikes, but couldn't wait to see his old bike again, now that his son had taken away years of neglect and brought it back to its former glory. He looked at him, the pride he was feeling beaming from him. Piney told him to sit on it and see if it felt the same. His dad sat on it and immediately sat like a seasoned rider.

"Dad, take it around the block, it runs great. Jake did a fantastic job in getting it tuned up."

Stan looked at Piney and then back at Lorelei and saw the nod to go ahead. Stan gave a try at starting, but the heat of the ride had the pistons tight against the cylinder walls, making it hard to turn over. Piney offered and put his weight to it and had it running. Stan thanked him and sat on it, revving the engine and enjoying the feel again. He clutched and shifted into first, letting the clutch out and feeling the joy of his spirit, being freed for the first time, since he stored it away with the bike.

He rode down the street, going through the gears, as if he had been riding it all along. He stopped and turned around, then came back, giving it more throttle this time and enjoying the thrill of speed. He pulled up in front of the house and stopped, a look of giddiness on his face, then he stopped the engine and backed it in again, putting the stand down.

He got off and looked at it, taking in all it's former beauty and the way it looked now, feeling nostalgic for her in his heart.

"Yes, very nicely done son. Very nice. I really hope you have as much fun on it like I did and take good care of it, not like I did."

The little poke at himself had them chuckle, but everyone could see how emotional Stan was at that moment. Looking at two parts of himself that were once separated, now becoming one, he teared up, knowing his life was being carried on through his son, that a part of his spirit, his dream, was continuing with him. He hugged him proudly and Piney did the same to him, thanking him for the bike and the forgiveness of past digressions.

Lorelei had them all come inside to make something to eat and drink for them, the guys happy to be doted over, only asking for coffee, or tea, knowing it made her feel good and kept the thoughts of Lester, in the silence of her heart. As they sat in the living room and Lorelei went into the kitchen to prepare things, Stan told them of the notice that Lester was coming home tomorrow and the funeral two days after. They all said they would be here at the house and ready to go as one to greet the plane with him, making Stan smile a sad smile, doing his best not to regress into a grieving father.

Lorelei brought out a tray, with, cups and the coffee pot and poured a cup for everyone. She let them add milk and sugar, while she went back in and continued making sandwiches. Jake waited until she was out of earshot, then told Stan about the events that happened on their way there. JT and Piney confirmed it, adding their take on it, as well. Jake stressed to him about the dire situation developing along the coast with motorcycle clubs, now turning to crime and fights breaking out over turf wars. He was worried about taking the boys for the ride he promised Stan he would do, in light of this development.

Stan understood, thinking of safety above all and realized that the road wasn't as friendly a place as it used to be and it didn't always lead to new adventures and meeting people. A sadness came over him and they knew the reason.

"Don't worry, dad. We'll find a way to have a trip like you wanted us to."

Stan's smile began reappearing and patted his son's knee. Lorelei came out with a platter of assorted sandwiches and put them on the table, happily inviting everyone to dig in and eat. She stood for a moment watching, until hands dug in and began eating, then she went back into the kitchen.

"How's mom doing, dad?"

"She has her moments, son. Trust me. This is a good one."

Piney understood and his smile was bittersweet. They decided on eating, to fill the silence that arose between them, a plausible excuse not to say anything more to depress the situation. Once their cups were empty and all the sandwiches eaten, due to Lorelei's prompting to finish them, they thanked her and said they had to get back to the shop, to close up. Warm exchanges were given, as they left the house, then curtains were once again pulled open, to see why the windows were rattling. The three riders rode out single file, keeping their speed and noise down. Pulling onto the main street, the throttles were twisted harder, as they headed into Charming.

Heads began turning to them, young boys looking in awe, young women looking with aroused interest. Many just looked at them stone faced, unsure if they were to be even considered desirable. The sound left an impression in every one of them and they would remember that feeling, no matter how it made them think. The guys twisted the throttles a little more, as they left the downtown core and on towards the shop. Once again, the reverberating thunder of all three bikes rang between the walls, as they pulled in. They pulled up to the office and saw a Triumph Thunderbird parked beside the wall. They stopped and got off and Jake called out.

"Clay. Clay."

The guys turned and saw him coming out of the clubhouse, waving to them as he walked over. Jake called Clay to him and asked him first about his grandfather.

"How is Lionel holding up, Clay.?"

"He's hanging in there still, Jake. He's tough. Mom is sitting with him and she'll phone if there's a change. Figured I better get back and help do some work.....but......I see you've got that handled."

"Clay, I'd like you to meet JT and this is Piney. They'll be helping out here now. Got some ideas for business I want to talk to you about, when you come in on Monday."

"Great, be here at eight. So, when did you get the barn opened and cleaned up? What are you building in there?"

"That, is something else I need to talk to you about, now."

Jake led Clay away and told him about JT and Piney, the club that was forming and the clubhouse now taking shape. He told him about the events that had happened while he was away and brought him up to speed. Finally, he let him know about JT being given the manager position and made sure he described the duties to him well, so he knew it was everything he wanted to avoid. He took it well and agreed Jake needed to get away and was happy he was more or less on his own in the shop and only answered to JT about parts and supplies needed and used.

They walked back over and Clay went straight to Piney and offered his condolences to him. Piney shook his hand and thanked him. They offered their hopes his grandfather would get past this and live for many years to come. There was an ease in the unknown, as shared feelings of family made a tie. JT made the first offer of friendship and offered to show him around the clubhouse, but first, he wanted to see his bike and talk about the differences between British bikes and American made iron horses. It seemed to be the uniting factor for everyone, as they went over and looked at the Thunderbird and then the Indian and Harleys. Twenty minutes and they were blending in together, meshing under one banner, biker.

The tour of the clubhouse and everything planned for it, had Clay feeling disheartened about it. JT could see he was looking a little less happier than he thought he would.

"What's up? Look a little down about something there, Clay."

"All this. You guys have a great thing going here, I really dig it. Thing is, I'm going in next year. I got to finish my year in college and go to boot right after."

"Clay, take it from any of us that have been there. Join the paratroopers. As scary as that sounds, trust me, we all did it, made it through our tours, listened to what we were told and came home again. Look at this way, you can jump from a plane and float to the ground, then hump it a couple clicks to the front, or, you hump it ten or twenty clicks and then get into it. One way or the other, you're getting into it. You decide, but that seemed to work out best for us on two tours. Don't forget to think of where you're going to go, on your reenlist trip."

"My what?"

"They didn't tell you? If you finish your first tour and sign up for another, you get a furlough of your choice, where you want to go, before you start your next tour. Sort of a bonus for staying alive the first time, so they can see if you're good enough to do it again."

Clay thought about what JT was saying, judging for himself the differences in danger, one way, or the other.

"Where did you guys go?"

"Hawaii. Lived on base, but you have leave to go just about anywhere, like a tourist. Just have to be ready for the transport and don't be late, when it's time to go."

Clay took it as a good deal, never having been on a trip any further than a couple of hundred miles with his parents. It brought back the memory of them and being killed on vacation, while he was at his grandparents and never seeing them alive again. Now his grandfather was passing away and his grandmother wouldn't be around much longer, ending any ties to family for him. Seeing the world on Uncle Sam's dime, sounded good to him.

"Vacation sounds good. Nice to get away from it all and relax, before it's time to go back to work."

His sarcastic humour had the guys laughing and they found themselves warming up to Clay. JT made an offer that settled Clay's despondency and made him feel some worth to them.

"Tell you what, Clay. When you finish in 'Nam and come home, you still want to join, we'll have a spot for you waiting. Only one thing you have to do."

"What's that?"

Get an American Bike. The Triumph is nice, but it's not a great bike for long cruises, like we're going on."

Clay took offence to JT saying his bike wasn't as good as his American made one.

"My Thunderbird can ride all day with any one of those bikes out there. Just as fast, or faster."

JT heard the challenge and took him up on it. Once it was met, it was game on for the both of them, as they headed to their bikes. Jake stopped sweeping and watched them.

"Where you boys going?"

"Settle a little bet, Jake. Clay says his Limey bike is better and faster than American muscle, so we're going to see who eats their words."

"I can tell you right off, the Triumph will beat you off the start and kick your ass in cornering, so you better be prepared to see just how fast you can go, because that's the only way you'll beat that Triumph. Well, that and a long distance ride. Triumphs are notoriously bad bikes for breaking down on long rides. Too much vibration and it works all the nuts and bolts loose. Harley, or Indian will win hands down every time. Guy who figures on how to put the best of both bikes together, now he's going to have a winner on his hands."

Before either of them had their engines started, it seemed the answer to their challenge had been met with words. They looked at each other and a look of truce was given in gesture, both of them dismounting and shaking hands.

"What were you racing over, anyway?"

"I was saying to Clay, that when he got back from 'Nam, we'd hold a place for him in our club, but he had to ride American, to be in it and he said his Triumph was as good, or better than ours."

"JT is right, Clay. For the kind of riding you do in a club, you want a bike like theirs. Triumphs are nice for a hundred or so miles, but after that, you better pull over and check your nuts and bolts and see their all tight, or still there, for that matter."