Remembrance of Things Past Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Drago appreciated all the help the Baxter Pack was giving them with Jason, and so he was more than willing to help with a little manual labor. These dead trees were a fire hazard, so the sooner they were pulled out, the better. The sweat was pouring down his face, and he stopped a moment to swipe his arm across his forehead and grab a swig of water. Time alone to think was a good thing. Maybe he'd been too focused on what he expected of his son instead of just enjoying the time he had with him. The Doctors were assuring him that Jason was a normal, healthy boy. If his Were-half was late in showing himself, so be it.

HELP!

Drago pulled his head up and scanned the area. He cocked his head, listening intently but hearing nothing.

HELP!

The voice he heard was in his head, but it wasn't one of his Betas. It wasn't the Alpha or either of his fathers. The voice was too young. It almost sounded like Jason.I must be hearing things.

HELP! Dad, help me!

Drago jumped into the truck, and put the pedal to the floor, sending the pick-up skidding across the desert sand.Jason, is that you?

Yes! Dad, Hope is hurt, bad!

Where are you Jason? I'm coming!

Kelly, did you hear him?Drago knew his mate was back at the compound, with the other panthers.

Yes, the Doctors are packing now. Did he tell you what happened?

No, just that Hope is hurt. I'm closer than the rest of you. I'll let you know what I find.Drago had a feeling of dread as he sent the truck hurtling down the dirt path. He could just barely make out the tree but didn't see Jason standing nearby. But once he was closer, he saw him, or at least he assumed it was him. The truck screeched to a halt in front of the small red panther, lying motionless on the ground, her body being sheltered from the sun by a long, lanky black panther.

Drago was startled for just a moment.Jason?

Yes, Dad, it's me!

Drago rushed to Hope's side and quickly assessed the situation, sending the information to Kelly, who relayed it to the Doctors who were with her in the speeding SUV. Moments later they had arrived and, as Jeff and Logan attended to their gravely injured patient, Kelly and Drago sat with their son.

I'm proud of you, Jason.What else was there to say? Drago sat quietly, his hand lightly resting on his son's shoulder. Jason's sleek coat was jet black, and he looked remarkably like Kelly and Leo in his panther form, but with Drago's dark eyes.

Kelly just stared in awe at her precious son.How did you do it?

I don't know. He just kind of took over. I was really starting to panic. I couldn't leave her here alone to go for help, and it would have taken me way too long to get back. After I'd screamed myself hoarse, he started talking to me. He told me he'd help me, help Hope. And he called to you, Dad.The dark brown eyes looked up at Drago.

Can you shift back?

He says he wants to stay a while. He said I can take over again in a bit. He wants some time. Is Hope going to be okay?

The Doctors will do their best, Jason. But without you and your panther, I doubt she'd have a chance.Drago knew she wouldn't have had a chance. He watched while the doctors gently rolled the cub to her other side. Drago winced when he saw the branch sticking out of her chest where she had been impaled and the slick coating of blood that covered the ground underneath her. He took a deep breath and took Kelly's hand, squeezing it tightly.

Kelly looked up at her mate with tears in her eyes. "Orsolya and Guillame are waiting at the hospital. They lost one daughter, now they're afraid they'll lose another."

"Can you help her? Like you did me? Like you did the injured wolves on the battlefield?" Drago had no doubts she could. His mate's healing gift was the reason he was here now.

"I-I don't know. Maybe."

"Go with them. I'll take Jason back with me." Drago pulled his mate close, kissed her tenderly, and whispered through their bond.If anyone can help her, you can, baby.

Kelly climbed into the back of the makeshift ambulance, settling herself into a corner, leaving the Doctors room to work, and laid a hand on the only part of Hope she could reach, her tail. Kelly didn't usually speak directly to her panther; they just kind of knew what the other was thinking. But today, she needed to.Can we help her?

Perhaps. There is only so much we can do. But we will do all we can. Our sisters are waiting for us. They will help.

Kelly barely noticed the Doctors as she focused only on Hope.We're with you, Hope. All of the panthers are with you.There was no reply. Kelly did her best to block out Orsolya's anguish and concentrate on Hope.

There was a crowd waiting near the entrance to the hospital but the betas cleared the way so the SUV could park close to the door. Everyone in both packs knew Alpha Bertrand's daughter had been gravely injured, and wanted to lend their moral support and anything else that was needed. Guillame was inside with Orsolya, both doing their best to calm the other's fears.

As the pack second, Zsigmond waited to escort his Alpha's daughter, also his niece, into the hospital. As always, his emotions didn't show on his face. But his heart was breaking for his sister and his friend. He prayed to the Ancestors not to allow a second child to be taken from them before her time.

The back of the SUV opened, and Trina stood nearby, ready with the gurney. As an experienced trauma nurse, she was able to keep her face blank as she saw the damage done to the little panther. She'd already had a heads-up from Logan as to what to expect, and had everything waiting. They gently placed Hope on the gurney, Kelly never taking her hand off the cub's red tail.

Once they'd rolled the gurney into the trauma room, Kelly turned her attention to the assembled panthers and Hope's grief-stricken parents. "I could feel her panther while I held her tail. She was fighting to stay with Hope. And she said to give you a message." Kelly felt tears falling down her face as she struggled to make the words come out. She could barely look at Orsolya and Guillame as they clutched at each other for strength. "She said Hope's last thoughts were that she didn't want to hurt Mama and Papa."

Orsolya was beside herself and unable to make a sound other than gut-wrenching sobs. Guillame held her hands tightly, bringing them to his lips, before gently brushing the tears from her eyes.She is strong, like her mother and grandmother. And we must be strong for her!

Orsolya gave her love a weak smile and a barely-seen nod. It was only then she saw her sister-panthers surrounding her, feeling their love and support. She felt their hands touching her gently, knowing the Seven Sisters were together and would do all they could for her daughter. She steeled herself for what could happen and nodded her head.I'm ready, Sisters.She closed her eyes, barely able to feel Guillame next to her, and let her panther join with their sisters.

Kelly concentrated on Orsolya's love for Hope. With her sister-panthers' help, she soon found herself in the trauma room, unseen by the Doctors and Nurses as they did all they could to save the little red panther. Kelly went to the head of the table and gazed down at the lovely head of the little red cub. She took Hope's head in her hands and lovingly stroked the soft red fur between her eyes. She leaned down and whispered to her through their panther bond.We are all with you, Hope. We know you are struggling to come back to us, and we will help you all we can.

Kelly was startled by the response she received:

I am with her. I won't let her leave Mama and Papa.

Kelly sat back and cocked her head. That wasn't Hope's panther.Who are you?

I am Mariska. Or, what is left of Mariska. I will not let her die.

Kelly was taken aback. She fumbled for something to say and could only think ofThank you.She watched the various monitors as Hope's vital signs steadily improved. She could see the surprise in the eyes of Jeff and Logan and their quick responses to the changes. And she felt Hope's panther stir deep inside her mind, reaching out, and then it was Hope's panther calling out.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry!

Kelly could sense the relief from Orsolya wash through her body and mind and soon found herself back in the waiting room with her Sisters. She was a little rattled from her short meeting with Mariska's... ghost? Should she tell them? No, now wasn't the time. She would let them think only of Hope for right now.

Jenna squeezed Kelly's hand as she shepherded the panthers out of the room, leaving Orsolya and Guillame to wait to see their daughter. Kelly smiled as she saw the two of them crying tears of joy, because their daughter would return to them. But it was time to shed her own tears of joy. Her mate and son were waiting for her. She quietly shut the door and made her way to where she knew they were waiting outside the hospital.

Kelly was momentarily surprised that Jason was still in his panther form, but she quickly let it go and sat down next to him, Drago on the other side, his hand still resting protectively on his son's shoulder.You and your panther saved her life, Jason.

I know. It was really him. But when I asked him why he'd waited so long to show himself, he just said I hadn't needed him 'til now.

The family sat there quietly as members of both packs passed by, trying not to be obvious as they glanced at the sleek panther, flanked by his proud and relieved parents.

This was a good omen for all the packs. Drago and Kelly's son had found his panther.

lilgirlsix
lilgirlsix
1,736 Followers