Rescued

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And then I could do nothing but return the cool gaze leveled at me from the attractive woman sitting beside Briana. She was openly staring and I couldn't tell if the gaze was just curious or a little hostile. Briana finally realized we were sizing each other up.

"Oh Tess, I'm sorry. This is Kelly...uh...we've known her for a long time...she's, uh...a friend of the family."

I just raised a brow and offered a brief nod. The nod was not returned. Based on Briana's awkward and quite hesitant introduction, and the woman's coolness which bordered on antagonism, I quickly figured out who this woman was. One of Frankie's ex-girlfriends. Had to be.

I stood, ignoring the cool gaze and stretching once more. "I'm going to freshen up," I announced, picking up the gym bag Justy had brought me. I'd just left the small room when I heard my name. Briana was rushing to catch up to me.

"What's up?" I asked cheerfully, not at all sure how I felt about Briana's willingness to cozy up with someone I felt a little threatened by.

"Um...they dated a few years back. For six years. We were all pretty close to her. And then Kelly proposed...and the next thing we knew she was moving to California."

I digested the information with some satisfaction. Obviously Frankie had said no to the proposal. However, since this woman was sitting here now, it didn't mean she'd been convinced by that answer. And it didn't mean Frankie was no longer interested.

"Thanks Bree."

"Uh, I just haven't seen her in a while, that's all. She just moved back to Philly about a year ago."

Clearly Briana had picked up on my uneasiness. And it was just wonderful that this woman was once again residing in the same city as Frankie. But I kept that thought to myself.

"It's not a problem. Let me get a shower, okay?"
She nodded, squeezing my hand gently before heading back into the waiting room. I sighed, wondering what lay in store for me and Frankie as I continued searching for the bathroom the nurse had mentioned.

*

Three days later, I was still in Philadelphia. Frankie was still in the ICU. She had not yet regained consciousness. The doctors weren't worried yet, reassuring me that Frankie's body had sustained massive trauma and needed to rest. Justy had to return to work and had left for New York the day before. She called me every few hours to see if there was a change and to make sure I'd eaten. Briana and Darren had also returned to work. Briana had given me Frankie's spare set of keys, insisting I go there and get some rest, but I hadn't left the hospital yet. So, for the most part, that left me...and Kelly. Kelly came and went, but she was there more often than not.

For the first two days, we pretty much ignored each another. Then, one evening, when I'd taken a long walk to get some air and pick up some Chinese food for dinner, I held out an olive branch.

"Would you like some?" I offered.

She glanced at me suspiciously, before shaking her head. "No thanks."

I looked over at her, holding out an eggroll. "I bought extra. No one can turn down an eggroll."

That brought a reluctant smile to her lips, "any duck sauce?"

I help up two of the small packages and she took all three offerings from my outstretched hands.

"Thanks."

I nodded, digging into my Singapore noodles. We ate in silence until I couldn't stand it anymore.

"So, Bri said you just moved back to Philly not too long ago?" I inquired.

She nodded, licking the eggroll grease from her fingers, "yea, I'm a computer consultant. The job I took in Cali ended last year, so I moved back."

I nodded again.

"What do you do that allows you to remain camped out here for so many days?" She asked.

There was an edge to the question, but I decided to ignore it.

"I'm a teacher. But I'm also part of NASAR, so my principal tries to work with me."
"NASAR?"

"National Association for Search and Rescue."
She raised a brow and then chuckled, "oh, sothat'swhy you're here? Because you found her? And here I was thinking there was something going on between you two. Whew! Because that would have been awkward."

I tilted my head to the side, "why would that have been awkward?"

Her cheeks flushed just a little, "well, I was hoping...I mean...she and I were pretty serious a few years ago. I haven't spoken to her in about two years except for a few emails and I—...when I heard about the hospital on the news, I rushed over here. You know?"

She rushed through the explanation, clearly a little unsettled about her feelings and a little uncomfortable expressing them to a stranger...or maybe to me in particular. Something told me she'd shared this information with me not because she needed to unload, but to let me know she was interested in reuniting with Frankie. My heart dropped a little. At least the vibes I'd been reading had not been wrong.

I cleared my throat a little uneasily, "well, sorry, but I'm guessing we'll need to go back to awkward...I'm currently dating her."

She stared at me for a moment, her dark brown eyes registering the information and seemingly trying to send me a message of her own. One that suggested I back off. And then things pretty much returned to cool and distant between us. She thanked me for the eggroll again and then returned to her remote, relatively hostile position across the small room. And I, no longer hungry, tossed the rest of my dinner into a nearby trashcan.


*

I was on the phone with Justy when the nurse appeared in the waiting room a few hours later. I disconnected the call immediately.

"Tess?" She inquired.

I stood, "that's me."

"She woke up a little while ago. They moved her to a room. She was asking for you."

I didn't spare a second to glance over at Kelly. I didn't care about her at the moment. She was awake. She was finally awake. I hurried to keep up with the nurse's pace, fighting my fatigued body. It wasn't far, but for some reason I hesitated at the door. I was hurt and annoyed that Kelly was here. I worried that Frankie would be happy to see her. But that was not important right now, was it? Right now...the last time I'd seen Frankie she was lying on a stretcher and taken away from me. I took a deep breath and entered.

They'd put her in a private room and she looked...beautiful. Her skin was paler, a little gray beneath the beautiful dark, rich brown, but still gorgeous. Her eyes were closed, long lashes caressing those perfectly sculpted cheeks. She looked smaller somehow, more frail, her breathing was deep and regular...she was sleeping. I closed the door softly and made my way to the bed. I didn't want to wake her, so I sat in the chair beside the bed and took hold of her hand. I lowered my head to our hands, closing my eyes, and exhaled. She was alive...and I knew, I just knew, she would be okay. Before long, I fell asleep.

*

I don't know how long I'd slept, but when I woke it was dark outside. I stood and stretched, working out the kinks, and then looked down at Frankie. And I was suddenly staring into a pair of weary, golden colored eyes and I smiled.

"Hey you."
She returned the smile, but only halfheartedly. She looked absolutely exhausted.

"Hey."

I sat down beside her, taking her hand in mine again.

"Did the doctor talk to you?" I asked, wondering if I would have to tell her about her kidney. But she nodded and I felt a little relief.

"How long have I been here?" She asked.

"Four days."

She closed her eyes for a moment, digesting the information.

"Areyouokay?" She asked after a while.

I smiled, "I'm good. Still just worried about you."

She opened those amazing eyes again and just stared at me in silence for a few moments.

"You look like shit. Go get some rest."

I laughed and squeezed her hand, "maybe, now that you're awake."
I could see her going under again, but I intended to wait until she was asleep before I left. A few minutes passed as I watched the deep rhythm of her breathing.

"I'm glad you're here."

The words were spoken so softly I barely heard them. She was asleep again by the time I wiped the tears from my cheeks.

*

I went to her place and took a long, hot shower and then slept like the dead for ten straight hours. When I woke, I felt refreshed. The cobwebs had cleared a bit from my brain and I realized, for the first time in days, that I was hungry. These normal feelings made me relax. I knew Frankie would be okay, so my body was now behaving like a normal body should. I made some scrambled eggs and toast, cleaned up after myself, and then headed back to the hospital.

Bree was standing outside of her door when I arrived and I raised a brow.

"Sponge bath?" I inquired jokingly.

"Uh...no. Uh...Kelly wanted to speak with her in private."

I felt my stomach tighten at that news and was tempted to enter the room, breaking up their little meeting. Instead, I just sighed and leaned back against the wall. I'd fucked up with Frankie. I mean, we were trying to move past Wilma, but a part of me realized Frankie had been more reserved since she found out my ex had been staying with me. Our relationship was so new...I guess I would understand if she didn't want to be bothered with that kind of drama. Who was to say Wilma would not return? What would I do if she did? Would I lie to Frankie again? Ask Frankie to tolerate me dealing with a woman who was clearly still interested in me?

And then there was the distance problem. Even if it was only 100 miles, the distance made getting to know one another more difficult. It made building a relationship harder. Kelly lived in Philadelphia, they would be able to work around Frankie's schedule and actually spend time together. And speaking of schedules, mine and Frankie's clashed. Add to that I was dashing off to rescue people periodically all over the country...

But I liked her. I meanreallyliked her. She was beautiful and smart and gentle and funny...andI was attracted to her. Our chemistry was...fiery to say the least. Wasn't that enough to at least give us a chance instead of going back to her ex? I sighed again, crossing my arms over my chest and trying to ward off the sense of doom. I had to hope Frankie believed in us enough to at least give us a chance.

It was quite some time later when Kelly exited the room. She glanced over at me, ignoring me as usual, and then pecked Bree on the cheek before leaving. She didn't look devastated. She didn't even look upset. But she also didn't look happy or smug. I wasn't sure what had happened between them...and I was a little nervous about finding out. So when Bree opened the door, raising a brow when I didn't move, I shook my head. I needed to take a moment before I could go in there and face possible bad news.

I had been so relieved to find her...so relieved she was alive...our 'problems' had faded to the back of my mind. When I saw her lying in that basement...there was no doubt I wanted her. No doubt I wanted to spend more time with her, invest in a relationship with her...bewith her. The idea that she might not feel the same way was...unsettling. And that was putting it nicely. Kelly was attractive. They had spent some time apart, which could have intensified their feelings for one another. Kelly was certainly still interested...there was no logical reason, given they had a history, Frankie might not want to give their relationship another try. After all, she hadn't known me long. And I had already listed our many dilemmas...

But all of this was crazy. Frankie was alive. Her life had been spared. And I needed to be supportive, no matter what she decided. If her life no longer included me, so be it. She had faced death, which I'm sure made her think about her life more critically. She had to make the choices that would make her the happiest...and I had to be okay with that.

Except I knew I wouldn't be. If she decided to work out things with Kelly, I knew I—

"Hey."

Bree had to touch my arm since I was clearly so engrossed in my own thoughts I hadn't heard her open the room door or call my name. I looked over at her.

"She's asking for you."

I nodded, taking a deep breath and entering the room. She was sitting up...and for a moment I wondered if it was too soon for her to be doing that. But it wasn't my job to fuss over her, a nurse would make her lay down if it was medically necessary. I looked over my shoulder when I heard the door close and realized Bree hadn't followed me in. I swallowed and made my way to her bedside.

She still looked tired, but those intense, golden colored eyes were alert...and watching me closely. I looked away and sat in the chair beside her bed.

"You look better. Did you sleep?" She asked.

Niceties? I could do niceties.

"Yea, thanks for letting me use your place." I responded, but didn't look up, didn't meet those eyes. I was bracing for the worst.

Silence sat between us for a few moments before she spoke again.

"What's wrong? You okay?"

I nodded, but I could hear her sigh.

"Tess."

It was a soft command, demanding that I look up at her, but I refused. She reached over and took my hand, squeezing it.

"Tess, look at me."

I hesitated, wanting to delay what was sure to be 'goodbye.' But I could only avoid her gaze for so long. Swallowing again, I looked up, into the depths of those wonderful, golden eyes and felt tears spill down my cheeks.

"Jesus, what's the matter?" She asked, genuinely concerned.

"You're going to break up with me," I offered through my tears.

She looked stunned for a moment...and then that smirk, that smirk I remembered from the very first time we met, that smirk that still had the ability to slice right through me, appeared on those full, perfectly formed lips.

"God, you really are thick sometimes."

I wiped my tears, tilting my head to the side like a dog did when he was trying to figure something out.

"I'm not going back to Kelly."

I was afraid to believe what she was saying, so I didn't say anything.

"I mean, how often do people find themselves a rich girlfriend?" She teased.

That made me laugh. I closed my eyes for a moment and squeezed her hand. She squeezed mine again in return.

"But...but Wilma, and all that nonsense, and then I live so far away. And I go on site every few months and I have no idea when I'll be back...and your schedule really, really sucks...and I'mnotrich."
She smiled slowly, her face transforming into its natural, gorgeous state, even though she was clearly still wiped out.

"You know what, you're right. Do me a favor, could you go chase down Kelly and tell her I changed my mind?"

I swatted her thigh, laughing. But then I looked at her, seriously.

"You're sure?" I asked anxiously.

She shrugged, "why not, you're good in bed, cute, and you're loaded. I could do a lot worse."

I smiled and she returned it. She then patted the bed beside her. I shook my head, not wanting to invade the space she surely needed to rest comfortably, but she patted the space beside her again, so I climbed up into the small bed, half my ass hanging off of it, and snuggled up beside her. She leaned back, closing her eyes, her breathing deep and regular. I really loved the sound of her breathing...

"Did I thank you for coming to find me?" She asked softly.

My heart squeezed just a little as I recognized sincere gratitude in her voice, "your welcome," I offered quietly, "but please don't ever do that to me again."

She chuckled softly, "I'll try my best."
I found the bed's remote control and lowered it, watching over her as she slept.

***

EPILOGUE

One year later...

Most of the damage to the hospital had been confined to the basement, the origin of the gas leak, and first floor. So, the hospital did not need to close its doors as the city hurried with repairs. Still, although the hospital was relatively functional, Frankie was not able to return to work for two months. Unfortunately, she was thrown right back into her hectic schedule when she did finally return. Luckily, her first priority was hiring enough social workers so she could scale back to a more normal 50 to 60 hour work week (her definition of normal, not mine).

I took the exam for a teaching certificate in Pennsylvania while I finished out the school year in New York. And even though I wasn't sure I would find full-time work, and I wasn't sure if my new principal would be as understanding, I quit my job in New York after the school year ended...and moved in with Frankie. The first few months were a little rocky, considering we still had a lot to learn about each other. But, eventually, we settled into a pattern that worked well for both of us.

Kelly didn't disappear, despite Frankie's "no." And at any given time, especially when I was away for a week or two, I would find Kelly relaxing in our living room when I came home. I figured she was just a little dense, like I had been, or didn't like the word "no." And I worried, just a little, because Frankie handled her with kid gloves. But for the most part, I wasn't too concerned, considering I had no reason not to trust Frankie.

As for Wilma...I received a few phone calls from her. She never apologized for stealing my stuff and tried to pretend like all was well. When I wouldn't play along, she eventually stopped calling, which was a relief.

All in all...I was happy. Frankie was an excellent friend and a wonderful lover. We didn't try to smoother one another and we didn't take each other for granted. I worried that she worked too much, she worried when I was on site. I worried about the women she'd dated (we bumped into quite a few of them whenever we went out to dinner or to a club) and she was constantly telling me not to spend so much money on her. But, in general, all was good.Wewere good. And, like I said, I was happy, which was a breathtakingly new state of mind for me...and ultimately all that really mattered.

1...345678