Revelation Blues Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sojoman
sojoman
85 Followers

Mary imagined that the 429,000 dollars represented a small fortune. It was! But she forgot that she never worked and that if she didn't work in the future, or found a working husband, that amount would have to last her roughly another 40 years. Even if she deposited her money in an exceptionally high interest account, the interest would hardly cover her basic needs. Scott knew that Mary was banking on the 40% of his income and Dean's child support and had no intention of using her settlement capital. That should keep her very happy and afloat until she meets another trusting sucker she could marry and cheat on.

Scott smiled, this was Mary's problem now, he had other plans.

Chapter 17 -- Aftermath

It was the end of June, the divorce will soon become final. Scott called the period from the day he filed for divorce to the day it becomes final the 'Twilight Zone'. Nothing to do with sagas and vampires, just the time before the end of the day that was his marriage. Soon another dawn will rise on his new life.

Two out of three of his objectives were about to be fulfilled. The simple divorce was achieved and the simpler financial arrangement was also engaged. Now he just needed time before his next move. The custody of his son was something he was working on, it would just take time.

Retribution on Don was also on it's way. Scott couldn't go back and settle the score with all of Mary's lovers. Don had to be his 'sacrificial lamb' and suffer for all the others. Unknowingly, Carla was helping him achieve that. Scott knew that if he could help Carla solve her business issues he would also give her the strength needed to deal with her marital issues.

He was still considering several options to deal with Mary. He was in no rush and didn't want Dean to suffer from whatever he ended up doing. All in good time, he thought. Everything comes in time to him who knows how to wait.

Since the school holidays started, he enjoyed taking time off and spending it with his son, mostly sailing but also doing things they both enjoyed, like taking Dean for long drives in one of his two pets, driving down to the keys or crossing Florida and spending time on the Gulf Coast, visiting local attractions along the way.

Since the filing for divorce, communications between Scott and Mary we limited to the essentials, mostly about matters related to Dean. Scott told Mary that the school year will be starting in August and that, unless Mary had other plans, he will register Dean at the same school for his last Grade year. Lacking any plan of her own, Mary agreed to Scott's proposal.

Mary had no idea what she was going to do, a few times she was tempted to engage in friendlier discussions with Scott but he disengaged immediately. In the early days, she spent a lot of her time lazing on one of the Key Biscayne beaches. Scott knew that she was still seeing Don and Fiona but that was no longer his business.

Lately she was out every day.

* * *

Scott called Carla to find out how her negotiations with the bank were progressing.

Carla sounded upbeat. She informed Scott that the bank was evaluating extending funds needed to salvage the business. She was also informed of an opportunity to expand her business. It seemed that the bank was approached by the representative of a company based in the Bahamas that was interested in developing a chain of fashion boutiques in Florida and were looking for a partner that knew the business and could take responsibility for the overall management of the new venture. The manager of business banking mentioned Carla and her business and the representative of the Bahamian company seemed very interested in meeting her.

She informed Scott that the representative flew over and they met. They agreed to develop an equal partnership where the company would advance the funds and Carla would build the businesses and have total control over its management. The potential partner would also guarantee the bank funds advanced to salvage her business. The company would expect 30% of the net profits which Carla thought was more than reasonable considering the investment. In the short term, this will allow her to save her boutique then, when the new business is created, she would organize a buyout where her boutique would become part of the new business.

Somehow Scott didn't seem surprised, "I'm really happy for you Carla, sounds very promising."

"Well, you get a lot of credit for that Scott. If you hadn't put me in contact with that bank I would have never met this company and never got a chance not only to save my business but also find a partner that would allow me to develop and grow. The potential is huge!"

"That's awesome Carla! Mine was a very modest contribution, the real opportunity is in your business abilities." Scott paused for effect then made his move, "Just thinking out loud, how would you get Don to sell the boutique since he is, on paper at least, the owner of your current business."

"This is the main issue I have yet to solve Scott. My future partner company made it clear that they would only guarantee the credit if the shop is in my name or sold to the new business venture. The bank manager also can't extend the credit without the ownership and guarantee. If I hadn't invested so much effort in this boutique I would have just dumped it and let Don deal with it. "

"So what are you going to do?"

"I have asked Don yesterday to transfer the business in my name, I told him the bank won't extend the funds if the business is in his name. He said he will think about it. I don't know what there is to think about. If he doesn't agree, I won't get the funds. I'll probably focus on the new business and let him figure out how to deal with the boutique. He nearly bankrupted me and I am not going to allow him to destroy this business opportunity." Scott could sense the anger in Carla's voice.

"How much have you told him so far Carla, I mean about your new business opportunity?"

"I didn't tell him anything. I don't want him to screw this one up. Why?"

"Keep it that way Carla and think carefully about what you're doing. You two are married and if one day he left you, as he said he will, or you decided to leave him, he can claim half of whatever you have. If you saved the business then divorced, you would have worked 50% for him. If you built the new business then divorced, he would get at least half of your equity in it. The bastard can even ask you for support as the high earner. Just make sure he doesn't bankrupt you. You need a fair go at this one." Scott didn't say more, he had said enough. The seed was planted, the rest was up to Carla. If this plan didn't work, he had a Plan B and C in store.

He learned from Carla that Aldo and Wanda Spiteri were divorcing. Apparently Wanda caught Aldo with the neighbors' wife and filed for divorce. She had suspected for a while that he was having affairs but this time she had the proof. Wanda was also taking Aldo to the cleaners, a legalized ritual practiced by wives in most divorce proceedings, although this time Scott thought it was well deserved. Aldo was sleeping in the small office in the back of his gallery and Wanda retained their house.

Scott also learned what Mary was doing. Since Wanda stopped helping Aldo with his business, Mary had been spending some time doing just that, helping Aldo with his exhibitions and with the day-to-day management of his gallery.

No one could see the expression on Scott's face. In addition to the happy smile he displayed anticipating Carla's next move, he was almost beaming when he heard about Mary and Aldo.

* * *

Mary was facing a dilemma. She had to find a place to live before the house was settled, a place she could move her furniture and personal belongings to, a place close to Dean's school, and close to her now familiar surroundings.

She didn't want to return immediately to California. She wanted to avoid being questioned by her parents and siblings. She needed time for things to cool down. She was just apprehensive of being on her own all of a sudden.

Fiona offered to lodge her but Mary declined after giving the offer some thought. It wasn't clear whether the confined space, the friction between the two kids, or the location of Fiona's abode was the main motive for declining the offer.

Mary had given up any hope by now of Scott changing his mind about the divorce and the thought of being on her own scared her.

Aldo was still homeless and business was not as prosperous as it was. He proposed to Mary that they rent something together and share the rent. It would give them time to see things coming. Mary finally overcame her own uncertainties and agreed to rent a three bedrooms apartment in Key Biscayne.

When Mary told Scott about her move to an apartment on the other side of the island, Scott was smiling inside. When Dean told him that Aldo was moving in with them, and despite Dean's obvious upset, he could not suppress a smile from appearing on his face. He adapted his plans to the new situation.

* * *

A week before the divorce became final and the house settled, Scott had managed to rent an old Catalina 30' sailboat moored in Matheson Hammock Marina.

The owner of the boat was a friend he sailed with from time to time. That friend was having some financial difficulties and was planning on selling the boat but no one was buying, at least not at the price he wanted.

Scott told him about the divorce and the sale of the house. He told him he always wanted to experience life on a boat, something to do with finding out what it's like before engaging on long journeys. This is an opportunity to do so. He asked his friend if he would consider renting him the boat for six months.

The rental Scott paid helped his friend cover the boat's docking costs and allowed him to make a little extra money to relieve his short term financial problems. Scott proposed to cover the cost of any additional insurance as he planned on sailing the boat from time to time.

Scott and his friend agreed on cash payment, it was simpler for both. They also agreed that, officially, his friend was just helping Scott out, as a temporary arrangement between friends. They concluded that as soon as his friend's financial situation improved, or he wanted the boat back, Scott would move out. Scott guessed that this won't happen before six months, at least.

The first night Scott slept in the boat, he started planning the surprise he would spring on Mary in a few days, the day after the divorce became final.

* * *

The morning following his receipt through his lawyer of the court documents officially terminating his marriage, Scott went to see his boss and submitted his resignation, effective immediately, for personal reasons of course.

Nothing can describe the surprise of his boss and his colleagues. No one expected that. Scott told them that the divorce affected him deeply and he was becoming depressed, distracted, and reclusive. Nobody believed him, but no one said so. Some even suspected that he had a better offer from another company. Scott had of course to serve his notice period, but he had accrued so much vacation and well trained his deputy that his boss agreed to a four weeks transition period. Scott's deputy would immediately become the acting COO until a new COO is appointed.

Scott had a few calls with the Group President and CEO and the Group SVP Operations in London, he went through a few exit interviews, and spent time sorting the various paperwork with Human Resources and Finance. He assured everyone that he was not going to work anywhere else, let alone for a competitor. His reasons were purely personal issues and was taking time off to deal with them. The Group CEO even suggested that Scott takes a year sabbatical leave. Scott declined.

Before the divorce, Scott had two life insurances, with Mary as beneficiary. One was with his now former employer and that was terminated when he resigned. The other one he had canceled when he filed for divorce.

In settlement, Scott received a reasonable amount of money that was the sum of his last month pay, outstanding vacation, performance bonus, and various other settlements. He made allowances for the 40% he owed Mary for his last month of gainful employment. He then opened an account for Dean's child support and instructed his bank to transfer just about the full remaining amount in his account to Dean's child support account. Once a month, the bank would transfer the child support amount to Mary's account and that for as long as there were funds unless instructed by him otherwise. That account was a symbolic gesture really, Scott just wanted to lock the money away.

Once these transactions completed, Scott had barely 1,000 dollars left in his own bank account. He had no job, and hence no income, and he didn't plan on having one any time soon.

Chapter 18 -- Cold Showers

The day after Scott walked out of his office building for the last time, he called his lawyer and told him that he was jobless and penniless.

"This whole affair left me depressed and unable to concentrate on my work. The atmosphere at the office became unbearable after almost everyone knew my story. I preferred to resign than being forced to do so. That wouldn't have looked good on my CV the day I felt well enough to start looking for a new job. I still have my pride!" Scott had to be honest, at least about the fact that he resigned. Mary's lawyer, or anyone else for that matter, would have easily found out anyway.

"How are you going to manage without a job?"

"My parents back home will help. They saddened by my bad fortune and emotional state and decided to help me until such time I could get myself back together, get over my depression, and look for a new job, indeed a new life." Scott tried to sound beaten and hoped he acted well. Despite the smile on his face he deployed his best efforts to sound depressed.

Jo Willingham was silent for a while. Scott could almost hear him thinking. Suddenly, his lawyer burst out laughing. He obviously didn't believe Scott, he thought of this as some kind of joke.

"OK Scott. What are you up to?" He wanted to know.

As much as Scott would have wanted to tell him, even enjoyed doing so, he couldn't take the risk. So he continued with his act.

"I am up to nothing Jo! I just didn't realize how hard the breakup was going to affect me. Now that the divorce is final all my deep and penned emotions resurfaced and I am struggling with them."

His lawyer still wasn't buying it. But Scott could sense some doubt taking over. His attitude was slowly changing. Jo was just struggling to make the link between the confident and professionally successful man he saw before the divorce and the man he hardly recognized now on the phone.

"So where are you living now?"

"A friend was kind enough and let me use his old boat for a while, so that's where I will be living till I am back in shape and sort my shit out. I couldn't afford anything else anyway."

"How about those two fine cars you had?" The lawyer asked, trying to overcome the last hurdle into believing Scott's story.

"I sold them."

"How come? They're about the only thing you wanted to keep and I had the impression you loved these cars."

"I did! I did! You understand, it costs a small fortune to keep and run these cars. I don't have a garage anymore and there is no way I was going to park them in the street or at the marina. How does anyone expect me to keep them when I'm jobless and destitute. I needed the money anyway. So I sold them."

"I guess you don't have your company car either now, so what are you driving?"

"I had a good deal on a 2002 Ford Escape that should keep me mobile while things are sorting themselves out." That was also true.

"I'm sorry to hear that Scott," his lawyer concluded, he knew though that Scott didn't call him just to share with him his bad news, "I guess you called me for another reason. How can I help you?"

"I'd like you to call Mary's lawyer and inform her that I will be unable to pay Mary's alimony from now on for the simple reason that I no longer have an income. I made arrangements so that she will get child support from an account I set up with my settlement money for that purpose. I also deposited most of the money from the sale of the two cars into that account. My parents will also help with Dean, but they don't feel it's their role or duty to pay alimony to a cheater."

The lawyer hesitated for a while, "You planned all this, didn't you?" There was a hint of anger in his voice.

Scott remained silent. He didn't want to push further and insult the man's intelligence.

"Scott, it may be better if you called your ex-wife directly and sorted this out with her and spared both of you the costs of lawyers.' He sounded sarcastic but not much.

"I hope you are not worried about your fees, Jo." Scott replied with an equal amount of sarcasm, "I would really appreciate if you could do me this favor, and please don't worry about the cost. I still have some money from the sale of the cars to cover my expenses."

Jo Willingham reluctantly agreed.

Scott could have called Mary directly of course. He could have told her on Saturday when he picked up Dean. But he wanted her to start spending her well earned money, in more ways than one. Lawyers are amazing money guzzlers. He also wanted her to know that he was not prepared to talk to her directly about anything not related to Dean.

* * *

The next day Scott had a very worried Mary on the phone. Her voice initially conveyed disbelief.

"Scott, I just had a call from my lawyer. She apparently spoke with yours and she was told that you lost your job." It sounded more like a question than a statement.

"Yes Mary, that's true."

"Oh my god, Scott! Why were you let go?"

Scott had no idea what his lawyer told hers, what hers told Mary, or what she wanted to believe.

"I wasn't let go Mary. I resigned." He had to set that record straight.

"Why Scott? Why would you do that?" She was almost shouting.

"I had to Mary. I am not feeling well, actually I am feeling pretty depressed and very angry. My work was suffering, I was becoming distracted and unproductive, and everyone around me noticed. They all knew what happened. I couldn't stand their stares and their whispers. I had two choices, wait for them to let me go or resign. If they let me go it wouldn't look good to a future employer. If I resigned, I could always say later that I had a personal project or took a sabbatical leave. I will get out of my depression eventually and look for a job, you know me. But now I am unable to think straight, I can't concentrate on anything."

"How long do you think it would take before you start looking for a new job?"

"I really don't know Mary. I hope not too long. I am trying to deal with the situation the best I can. I guess I managed somehow in the beginning, but it eventually got to me. I am still trying to make sense of what you did to me. To us. To our family. I just couldn't live with it. Now I also feel inadequate, stupid, and lost. I need time to heal."

"My lawyer said you won't be able to pay the alimony money? What am I supposed to do now? "

Good old Mary! Scott was shaking his head. Not only she chose to ignore his remarks about his condition and her responsibility in the breakup of their marriage but she was totally focused on what mattered to her most. Did he miss those traits of her personality? He was certain she hadn't always been like that. But now he doubted everything about her. Was he so much in love that he didn't see it? Or is this the 'new' Mary, the downgraded version, the result of her spending so much time time with Don and Fiona? Well, they can be two to play that game, he thought.

sojoman
sojoman
85 Followers