Rough and Ready

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,371 Followers

As if on cue, they all rose up to leave. "I hope you and Mister Henderson can join us for dinner after Tanner gets back."

"No problem, Sarah. We would love to."

Tracey noticed that Tom was smiling to himself on the short walk back to the jeep. "What is so funny Mister Tom?"

"Nothing important. It's just that you made it sound as if we were a couple. I thought that was cute."

He was right, but she didn't have a reply for that.

"I am glad to decided to stay, by the way."

They were almost back to Grass Valley, when Tracey pulled the card out that Brian had given her.

"Can you drop me off at the 'Triple Cut'? I think it's near the place I got my clothes."

"I know where it is. How long will you be?"

"Probably a couple of hours. Can I call you?"

"Bradley will be home from school by then. I'll send him to pick you up. He'll like that."

Bradley and Greg were waiting outside the 'Triple Cut' when Tracey came out. At first he didn't recognize her. It wasn't the new clothes, but the short haircut with an auburn tint. She jumped into the front seat and buckled up. "Do you like my new look?"

Greg wasn't saying anything and Bradley seemed at a loss for words. "Before, you looked sort of sexy, now, you look more like a mom."

"Is that good?"

Greg finally jumped in. "I think you look like a sexy mom."

"That's not what I was going for, but thanks anyhow."

The roads were clean and dry on the ride back to the Henderson place, but it was easy to see that the ground was still mushy and slippery. Any parkour workout would have to wait a few days. Tracey hadn't spent much time with kids of any age or gender and had no idea how to start a conversation. She usually handled herself pretty well in social situations, but she was out of her element here.

Tom Henderson was off to the side of the cabin when they got back, splitting wood. On one side of him were several truckloads of cut logs dumped in piles. On the other side were neatly stacked piles of split wood. The three of them walked onto the porch. Bradley noticed the interest that Tracey was showing.

"He has been like that since mom left."

"What do you mean?" She was dying to know what happened to Tom's wife.

"He has OCD." Greg couldn't help adding to the conversation as he entered the cabin. Tracey and Bradley sat on the porch steps.

"Greg and I used to split and stack all the firewood. One day, after mom left, dad told use that he would do it all from now on. All we had to do was make sure that there was dry wood by the fireplace. Some days he is out here until after dark, splitting wood. He doesn't even come in for supper. At first he had really bad blisters, but now his hands are all hard and gnarly. He never seems to get tired."

"That's a lot of wood."

"There is ten times that much behind the cabin. We have enough wood split to last us for five years, and yet he keeps on going. We have a hard time paying the bills sometimes, but he keeps having more truck loads of logs delivered."

"That's a lot of anger." She seemed to see a relationship between the split wood and Tom's animosity towards his wife.

Tom saw Bradley and Tracey sitting on the porch. He had a good rhythm going, and didn't want to quit, however, he decided it might be better for him to try and hide his obsession. He was hoping it wasn't too late.

"I like your new hair." She was flattered because there was a great deal of sincerity in what he said. It is not what she was looking for, but it was appreciated.

"I'll start the chili." Bradley seemed anxious to leave Tracey and his dad alone.

"He does most of the cooking. It's not really good, but it fills the belly."

"I have only been here a day and two people have already recognized me. I felt it was necessary to change my appearance somewhat."

"I don't want to be nosy, but why would you have to do that?"

At this point, Tracey did not see a reason not to share a little bit of her problem with her host

"There were some nasty people trying to take over my father's company. In order to do that, they had to serve me with some kind of legal paper. I came here for two reasons: to avoid being served and to get my Uncle Tanner to help me. He helped start the company with my dad, years ago. I guess you could say that, I am hiding out."

"Sounds intriguing. It must be nice to have a little excitement in your life."

"Tom?"

"Yes?"

"You smell terrible. I think you better take a shower before supper."

He laughed at her impudence. "You're right. I promise to smell like an Irish leprechaun by suppertime."

While Tom showered, Tracey removed all of the tags and labels from her new clothes. He had emptied out a whole dresser for her use, far more than was necessary. There was a new toothbrush and hairbrush on top of the dresser. She felt welcome.

The highlight of the evening came after supper from Greg. "You said last night that you were a 'traceuse.' Either I can't spell it or it, or is not in the dictionary. What is a traceuse?"

"It's French. You do have a computer don't you?"

"Yeah."

"Look it up in the computer and then come back and tell me what it is." Tracey and Tom were alone before they knew it, as the boys raced to the computer.

"Wow. You are like a tricky school teacher."

"That's not how Greg described me earlier."

"Should I be embarrassed by something my son said?"

"No, of course not. He said I looked like a sexy mom when I came out of the hairdressers."

"Well, I do apologize. You are not old enough to be a mom."

"You cad. That's not the part you are supposed to apologize for."

"Sorry, but if you want honesty, that is the best I can do."

Things were quiet for a few moments. Tom filled the coffee cups and noticed that Tracey was smiling.

"I know it is none of my business, but can you tell me something about your wife?" Tom said nothing. It was obvious by his facial expression and body language that he did not want to discuss that subject.

"I'm sorry. It appears that I hit a sore spot. I won't bring it up again."

The silence was awkward. "That's Okay. It's difficult for me to talk about. Anne left two years ago with no explanation. I had suspected something for a while prior to that, but never anything definite. She left with a sergeant from Beale Air Force Base near Marysville. I don't know how they met. Six months later, I got a notice that she had divorced me, in Nevada. It was final and I never even knew it was coming. At least she didn't ask for anything. I never had a chance to fight it or contest it. It hurt me in three ways: she abandoned her children, she humiliated me, and she took away part of our livelihood. I make our living by writing children's books. Anne used to do all the illustrations for the stories. Now, I take out my anger and frustration everyday on the poor, dumb logs out in the back yard."

"Have you seen or heard from her since?"

"She sends the boy's birthday cards, usually with a ten dollar bill inside. That's about it. I have no idea where she is now."

"Do you think she will come back?"

"God, I hope not." Tom started to pick up the coffee cups just as the boys returned.

"Can you teach us? Huh! Can you show us how to parkour?" Greg seemed to be more excited than Bradley, but both of them were interested.

Tracey was impressed with the newfound enthusiasm. "Did you find a list of the movements?"

As Bradley held up the printed sheet, Tracey got up from the sofa. "Tom, the boys and I need to talk for a few minutes. Could you make some fresh coffee?" Her request was answered with a smile. Anything that Tom could do to keep her happy was a number one priority.

Tracey sat on one of the bunk beds facing her two wanna-be students. "Tonight I want you to study all the moves. Tomorrow, after school, both of you go down to Sierra Outfitters and look for Brian. Ask him for a pair of shoes for each of you and some gloves. Tell him to put it on my bill. Whatever you do, don't tell your father. Once you have the right equipment, we can get started."

Her instructions were met with a solemn silence. She glanced at both of them with a quizzical look. "What?"

"I am sorry, but Greg and I won't do anything without telling our Dad. We'd be glad to get the shoes and gloves, but we can't do it behind his back."

It all made sense. Trust was the glue keeping the family together since their mother left. Without trust, there was no family.

"My bad. I wasn't trying to be sneaky. I was just afraid that he would not approve of my buying something like that for you. I didn't want it to look like charity or anything."

"We will do it, if he says it's Okay."

Tracey's embarrassment was interrupted by a voice from the doorway. "It's all right guys. I think it would be fine if Miss McMann got some equipment for you. Of course, I expect her to stay until you have both learned how to do all that Frenchy stuff."

Tracey was amazed at how easily Tom had taken an awkward situation and turned it into something positive. She knew now that he wanted her to stay and she wasn't unhappy about it. She felt comfortable here. She felt comfortable with Tom.

The boys high-fived each other as Tracey left the room with a big smile on her face.

"Well that was embarrassing. I apologize for trying to encourage your sons to do something behind your back. I assure you it will never happen again."

"Don't go overboard. Sometimes a little secrecy can be fun, unfortunately, this was not one of them."

"Are you mad with me?"

"Absolutely not, I am glad that you are interested enough to indulge them. They need something like that. We are slowly turning into a pretty gloomy bunch of guys."

"And what can I do to brighten up you day?"

Tom handed her a steaming cup. "Let me continue to make coffee for you, and arrange to pay you back for the shoes and gloves."

Tom and Tracey both propped their feet up on the coffee table at the same time and laughed at the coincidence. The next few moments of warm silence was finally broken when Tom asked if she wanted to watch a movie. The two of them fell asleep on the couch before it was over. It had been a busy day.

Tracey was awakened by the giggles of the two boys in the kitchen. Somehow, she and Tom had ended up side-by-side on the couch together. With a sheepish grin of her face, she got up and made her way to the bathroom. She noticed the glee from the kitchen as she left, and realized that she was also smiling. Tom was helping the boys when she returned, and had a slightly impish expression on his face. He smiled as she sat down, but didn't say anything. A few minutes later, the school-bus horn was blowing. It was going to be another busy day in the foothills.

Tracey noticed that she and Tom seemed to function in perfect harmony within the house. The morning rituals and household tasks were completed without any awkwardness. They worked and moved together as if they had been doing it for years, and it was only the second day. The new clothes were a blessing. She carefully put the leathers and boots, away in case she needed them later.

Tom seemed a little disappointed when Tracey left the house for a run. He watched as she started down the road, as if he was worried she wouldn't come back. She glanced back and smiled to herself. She would be back and he would be smiling again. After a quarter mile she cut off into the woods. The rocks were just what she was looking for, but the ground was still mushy from the melting snow. It would be another day or two before she could bring the boys out. Today, she could scout out some places that would be good for their training and where she could also get a little workout. The rocks were dry enough that she was able to find a few great places to do different types of vaults. In twenty minutes, she was ready to work her way back to the house without returning to the road. It was a great place to work out. While she was working her way back, she was wondering who owned it. It was too rough to build on, but that's not what she wanted.

Tom was splitting wood again, when he saw her come out of the woods at the back of the property. Tracey slowed done to a walk as she crossed the clearing. He had his shirt off and she was amazed at the size of his forearms. She wondered if the constant workout had built up his heart and lungs as well as his muscles.

"I was hoping to go down town for lunch, Mister Henderson, but it looks like we both need showers now. I don't know which of us is sweating more." Tom set down the axe and sat on his chopping stump.

"We could save time by showering together." It was the first time he had made any kind of suggestive remark. Tracey was hoping that he would loosen up a little bit, so she wasn't upset.

"If we did that, I am afraid we would never get to town." As she started towards the house, she turned with a little smile. "I appreciate the offer though."

Tracey was just finishing her shower when she heard the phone ring. A few moments later, Tom was knocking lightly on the door. "Tracey, Sarah Weiser is on the phone. Do you want to take it, or call her back?" She didn't bother answering, but just opened the door with a towel wrapped around her wet body. Her host had a hard time hiding his sheepish grin. She was starting to enjoy teasing him, although she knew that it was no longer teasing, but foreplay.

"Hi, Sarah. Do you have good news for me?"

"Your uncle is on his way home right now. He was hoping that you and your gentleman friend could come for lunch. Anytime between twelve and one would be fine."

"My gentleman friend and I will be there, if he doesn't take too much time in the shower." Tracey heard a slight snicker from Sarah at the other end.

"Okay. We'll see you shortly."

Tracey clicked the phone off and smiled at Tom. "Hurry up and take your shower, because we have a luncheon date." She glanced down at the slight bulge in his trousers and smiled. "Maybe you better make that a cold one."

It was a pleasant lunch. Tanner made Tom comfortable and Sarah was the perfect hostess. Tom and Tanner chatted about nothing of any significance, while Sarah and Tracey cleared the table. As if carefully orchestrated, Sarah took Tom outside, as Tanner and Tracey retreated to the den. For the next hour Tom got a complete tour of the McMann property. It covered far more area than he ever expected and even included the property across the road. Sarah was fun to talk to and kept his attention as Tanner and his niece got down to business. Tom did not feel that he was being shut out, in fact, he was relieved that he was not drawn into whatever it was that brought Tracey to his doorstep.

All too soon, Tracey and Tanner were on the front porch. She and Tom thanked their hosts for lunch and then they left for home.

"You seem happy. I assume everything went well with your uncle."

"Everything is going to be great. My father was a better businessman than my uncle, but Tanner is a bit more ruthless. If anybody can straighten out this mess, he can."

"You know, of course, that I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Yes, and I appreciate that. You have been more than understanding and I promise to reward you for your gracious consideration."

"Wow. I always wanted to get rewarded."

Tracey was pleased with the way the relationship with Tom was going. This was not what she had planned or envisioned, but it was turning out to be fun. She was not anxious at all to get back to San Francisco.

"Tom, I need to stop by Sierra Outfitters on the way home as well as a grocery store. I promised the boys spaghetti for supper."

Brian was all smiles as Tracey entered the shop. He quickly reached under the counter and handed her a manila envelope.

"Your friend didn't linger too long. I tried to get him to stay for supper tonight, but he insisted that he had to get back to the city. He also said that he was afraid that he might have been followed."

"Oh shit. Is that why he left so quickly?"

"I think so. He said he was going to drive around a bit to confuse whoever was tailing him, but it might have been too late."

Tracey opened the envelope and paid Brian what she owed, plus a extra thousand to cover the boy's purchases and thank Brian for his consideration. She told him to expect the boys later in the day. Of course he was happy for the extra business and money.

It only took her about ten minutes to get the gravy started for the evening meal. "Tom, while the sauce is simmering, why don't you show me what it is that you do, or used to do, to support yourself?"

She could sense a bit of reluctance as Tom showed her where he developed his stories and the drafting table that his wife had used to create the illustrations. Most of the illustrations were pen and ink with pastel watercolor tints. They were uncomplicated, but effective with the stories that Tom had written. Tracey found herself trying to figure out if she could effectively recreate what Anne had done, changing it only enough to make it hers, without losing the original ambience. The longer she studied the illustrations, the more interested she became. All the materials that she would need were there, and if anything was missing, she was sure she could locate what she needed in the area. The biggest problem she was facing was how to propose it to Tom without shutting him down. Would he be receptive for her help, or would he be resentful of her for suggesting it.

Tom watched Tracey study the drawings that Anne had done. She was not looking at the illustrations, but studying them. It was easy to tell that she was familiar with art techniques, and he felt himself getting enthusiastic about her interest.

"You know something about art, don't you?"

It was an opening. How lucky could a girl get? "Yes, a little."

She was hesitant to offer more than that to the conversation.

"Everything you need is right here. If you'd like to play around a little, I can leave you alone for a while. I have some wood to chop."

"Maybe I should read one of the books first."

She wanted to sit on the porch and read the short story, but decided to stay inside instead. Tom's obsessive wood splitting was distracting. She had to figure out a way to wean him off of it, without actually doing anything. It was not an area that was open for discussion. No amount of reasoning or rational dialog would change his mind. Thirty minutes later she went back into the workroom. She tried to block out the sound of the axe splitting wood for the next two hours, as she familiarized herself with the techniques required to produce acceptable illustrations. If she was to begin creating the pictures for his books, the damn wood chopping would have to stop. Hopefully, her work would be good enough for Tom and his publisher.

Every thirty minutes or so, Tracey gave the sauce a good stir. A little red wine seemed to perk it up some. The boys burst into the room at the same time. They had put their new shoes on at the store and then ran home. Tomorrow, she would show them how to get the maximum out of them. She started the water for the pasta and then walked out on the porch.

"You better take another trip to the shower, mister, if you want to enjoy my prize winning spaghetti." After she said it, she realized that she sounded like a wife. It was a new experience for her and one that she felt she could learn to enjoy. Tom smiled, picked up his shirt and walked towards the house. He was thinking to himself, that he could get to enjoy this.

Things got quiet that evening after the boys went to bed. The cold bottle of Reunite Lambrussco that Tom brought out was slowly disappearing. As they both stared into the fire, Tracey was the first to speak.

"Tom, I need to know about your compulsion to chop wood all the time. I don't want to pry, but it seems to be very important to you."

PAPATOAD
PAPATOAD
3,371 Followers