Saffron and Sam Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I just want you to know if your confidence is off, I'm really glad you're here with me, I've grown quite fond of you."

"Well if I have to die Ally, I could be with worse people. I've grown fond of you too," as I began praying in earnest for us to make it through this crisis.

"Sam, pull the carpet between the seats back and there should be a panel. Open the panel and push the green button and start pumping that lever for all it's worth, until you can't pump it anymore. That will lower the landing gear and it should be locked when you can't pump."

"Okay," as I pumped the lever for all it was worth and the landing gear appeared to be down and I heard a snap. I know we just didn't know that whether it was locked or not; but the snap should've told us that.

We made our circle and approached our landing on the field just over top of a barb wire fence that we saw. Ally turned on the landing lights and raised the flaps to their appropriate position as we started cutting power once we passed over the fence. The touchdown was quite smooth and we started shuddering around a little on the uneven ground, which was mostly flat, but still contained some uneven patches. We were just both hoping we didn't hit anything that was sticking up. We started seeing another fence coming up before us and I raised the flaps the full.

"Help me with the brakes Sam," as I started cutting the throttles on both engines and pushing on the brakes using a threshold braking technique that Buck taught me. Just as we were about 30 yards from the fence we came to a slow stop. And Ally taxied into a 180° turn. As we both collected our breaths and tried to calm down, she said, "Well, that was interesting. At least we didn't crash."

"Well, you're right about that; that would've ruined our evening. I knew we'd be okay, God put us in your hands."

As we sat there and started to get out into the deluge of rain that we had landed in, we saw the lights of a vehicle approaching us pretty quickly. As it turned out, it was the farmer that owned this land. He got out of his truck with a strange look on his face and came up to my side door. I got out into the rain and he put out his hand to shake mine.

"Dexter Travis, and you are?"

"Having mechanical difficulties, my name is Sam Sanderson," as I took his firm hand and shook it.

"I don't have any cell service sir; would you mind if we used your phone."

"You would be welcome to use my phone if I had one, but I never saw any use for one young man."

"Well sir, then could you drive us somewhere to use a phone, we need to contact the airport. I'd be glad to pay you for your trouble. "

"Son , I'd be glad to do that, but it will have to wait till morning. I've got a mare in foal and I can't leave her."

"Well sir, can we walk to where the nearest phone we could use."

"Not unless you want to walk 5 miles in the pouring down rain to Crawford's store. That's the closest phone."

I looked at Ally and she shook her head. The farmer told us that we could wait for morning in his house where it would be warm and dry. I thanked him and he took us up to the house in his truck.

"You two married?"

"We're just good friends; a little better after this incident."

"You kids are really lucky, if it would have been next week that field would've been full of plow ruts and you would've surely cracked up."

**************

Dexter gave us coffee and turned up the heat in the living room of his house while he went back to take care of his mare. His wife got up to see what the ruckus was about and began fussing over us. She made us sandwiches, which we really appreciated, and even offered us each a piece of pie. There was nothing like country hospitality. I even started dozing off after I got my belly full. All of a sudden, Dexter came in beaming from ear to ear.

"Elaine, we have a new stud colt. Everything went fine."

"All that's great Dexter, but you better get these young people down to the phone as quickly as possible."

As we were talking on the way down to the store, I noted the concern in Ally's demeanor.

"Are you worried about your father's reaction? It wasn't your fault."

"I'm more worried about your family's reaction than my dad's. When our transponder dropped off radar and he didn't hear from us, I can tell you the first thing he did was call your family."

"Oh my God, he notified Saffron; my parents and she will be going crazy."

"Well then, he'll be able to let them know that you're fine."

"But it's been 10 hours Ally, my family will be frantic. They don't know anything about my flying."

"But it will be a load off their minds, and they'll just be glad that you're okay."

When we reached the general store and gas station, we offered Dexter money, but he wouldn't take it. I thanked him profusely and told him he was a good man. He just said that anyone out there would've done the same thing.

When Ally finally got in touch with Buck, he was relieved to say the least, but said he had not lost hope. He said that the fact that the transponder was still working showed that we had probably set down somewhere. He told Ally that he had trusted her to do well and to take care of me, since I was a new pilot.

I heard her say over the phone, "Sam did a lot for us in the landing, he prayed heavily and did a good job with the brakes. We're about 20 miles east of Sand Mound in a field. You'll be able to see us clearly from the sky. Yes we can take off. We've got plenty of fuel, but no radio. Dad, you really need to contact Sam's family and let him know we're okay. They don't even know about his flying."

"Is he going to call them Ally?"

"He said your sister was frantic over the phone, but he call and let them know everything was fine. He said he told her that the transponder was operating and that was still a good sign."

"That was so fucked up, that I put them through that."

"It's not your fault Sam; it couldn't be avoided."

"That's what I get for wanting to surprise them."

"Oh I think it was a surprise all right."

"That's not what I meant Ally and you know it. It isn't funny."

She started laughing, and said, "Sam, dad will explain it to them and they'll be fine. You didn't set out to make them worry or cause them distress. They'll just be glad you're okay, believe me. Dad was definitely glad to hear I was okay. He barely asked me what had happened."

"He's flying up with Chet, our mechanic, and were going to fly the plane out of here."

I asked Dexter if he minded another plane landing in his field and he said no. He took us back to his farm and we walked out to the aircraft. We looked everything over and opened up the cowlings to ready the plane for work. We also pulled the cover off the fuse box and noted every fuse was fried.

In about 1 1/2 hours we heard a plane and we started waving. Buck circled the field and made the same approach we did to land and taxied up beside us and stopped the engine. He stepped out and hugged his daughter like he hadn't seen her in 15 years. As calm as he must've talked to her on the phone, he had really been frightened. He really loved his daughter and you could tell it.

"Buck, did you get a hold of my family?"

"Yes I did and they're okay. Sam, you might've survived this forced landing, but I wouldn't give two cents for you when your sister gets a hold of you. She sure was pissed. And I haven't heard language like that since I got out of the Air Force."

"I'm sorry about that Buck. She kind of worries about me a little."

"I just thought I'd warn you son. Let's look at this thing and see what we can do to get it back in the air."

He approached the aircraft and started taking pictures with a digital camera both outside and inside the plane. He looked at the wiring harness and immediately saw that it was fried.

"Well you can fly her, but you do have some issues. First off, you're going to have to keep the landing gear down the electric relay switch that you use to operate the hydraulic pump to raise the landing gear is fried. You don't have a radio, but I've taken care of that."

"You're going to have a lot of drag from those wheels sticking out there and burn a lot of fuel. Luckily with what you took on the Nashville, you've more than enough to reach the airport without worry. I brought a portable radio with the frequency you need to contact the tower."

He looked at Ally rather sternly and said, "I would've expected you to turn around sooner."

"I'm sorry daddy, I thought we'd be able to make it through. Sam said we should turn around, but I didn't want to listen to him. I guess it was my bad."

"Is that true Sam; did you want to turn around?"

"Yes Sir, but I didn't have the experience to force the issue."

"Fuck experience, that's why you were along. Remember son, it's your life on the line too. The next time take the fucking controls from her; there's a reason the hair stands up on the back of your neck son; it reminds you not to get yourself killed, because somebody else hasn't got the good sense God gave her."

"We'll talk more about this angel, when you get back."

She just hung her head sheepishly and said, "Yes daddy."

"Sammy, you take the controls and get my new bird back to the airport."

"Okay Buck."

I got in the plane and we started it up, by Chet hot wiring the electrical system. He and Buck closed the cowlings and secured them and I made ready to take off. I waved up the Dexter in thanks, who was standing on his hillside by his house. I revved the engine to take off power and started down the field, easily getting airborne before the fence. I corrected my flaps, circled and began flying toward the airport.

"I'm sorry Ally, I didn't mean to get you in trouble. But you told him what went on."

"Don't worry Sam, it was my fault. I wasn't going to listen to you because I was miffed about you and Charlie."

"I told you, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with Charlie, at least not from my side, if what you think is true."

"I don't have a right to be upset about anything or jealous; it's not like we're an item or anything."

**************

When we made the approach to the airport, Ally contacted the tower and the controller gave us instructions to land on runway six. Buck was right about one thing, the turbulence and dragged we were getting, definitely ate our fuel. We landed with no problems and I taxied up to the hangar that Buck motioned us to. I stopped the engine and he came up to me and shook my hand.

"I'll take care of all the post flight stuff Sam. I'm glad I've got insurance; that'll be about $50,000 I hadn't planned on spending. The whole wiring harness, panel and radio will have to be replaced. If we're lucky we didn't fry the radar. That's about another $25,000."

"Now you better head to your parent's house and mend your fences boy. You better watch out for that sister of yours. I've never heard anybody so mad before."

"Thanks Buck, I'll see you later. I told Ally goodbye and she waved and smiled."

I drove my car to my old house and parked in front. Saffron's car was there, so I went to face the inevitable."

"Mom, Dad, anyone home?"

My mother came running into the hallway and grabbed me by the ear, leading me into the kitchen. Dad was sitting there drinking a cup of coffee and reading the paper, looking up at me to acknowledge my presence.

"Sam Sanderson, do you know how badly you worried us last night? We didn't even know you had went anywhere, let alone that you were actually flying a plane."

"Mom, Dad, I apologize for that; it was supposed to be a surprise. I was going to take you up to the airport sometime, rent a plane and take you guys up."

"I think you saw how dangerous flying is last night, didn't you?"

"I think you saw how safe flying is last night. We lost all of our electrical instruments and everything and was still able to land safely. Besides I love flying and I'm going to keep on doing it. I also intend to buy my own aircraft some day, so I can fly whenever I want to. No small carbon footprint for this boy."

"We did fine last night, but I'm sorry I put you through that, I didn't have cell service or any way to contact you."

My dad looked at me and said, "It's okay Sam, it's a parent's job to worry. Who you better watch out for is Saffron, she was madder than a wet hen."

"By the way, where is the fire breathing dragoness?"

"She left with CC about 15 min. before you got here. They said they were going to go for a drive to calm down. CC's been here with her the whole night. I'm afraid you're going to get it from both sides son."

"I best not, CC gave up that right when we split."

"She still cares for you deeply Sam," my mother said as she rubbed a circular path on my shoulder.

I gathered my stuff said my goodbyes and headed toward home. I got there just before 3 PM and jumped in the shower, which I desperately needed and dressed in jeans and a T-shirt. I heard a car screeching to a halt out front and looked out the see both Saffron and CC getting out and slamming the doors as they stomped up to my door. Saffron didn't even knock, just opening the door to enter. She walked right over to me and swung at me very hard, which I managed to block with my left arm.

"Sam, you stupid fucking idiot, do you know what you did to all of us last night? We were nearly frantic when we got that call from that Buck Halsey. Not only were you possibly crashed, but we didn't even know you were flying that fucking plane. How could you keep that from me. Don't you know how much I love you? You scared me to death."

I looked over at CC and she said, "Don't look at me for help dick head, I agree with her."

"Look Saffron, I'm sorry I frightened you. We had a little trouble with the airplane and had to set down in a farmer's field at Clover Flats. It was really no big deal, we just didn't have a radio, and there was no cell service or phones to be found so I could notify you. It was unavoidable."

"I didn't even know you had gotten your pilot license, let alone flying the freaking plane."

"It was supposed to be a surprise to you, mom and dad."

"Oh, it was a fucking surprise all right. There's nothing like getting a call at eight o'clock in the evening that your brother is lost in flight and his plane may have crashed, when you didn't even know he flies."

CC started talking then by saying, "Sammy what the hell are you doing flying a plane? Don't you know how dangerous that is? You're supposed to be alive so I can win you back when I'm finished with school."

That really made me angry and I looked at Saffron and said, "Saffron please give us the living room for a few minutes please." She walked into the bedroom and I could hear her sobbing."

"Cassandra, I would like to know something. What gives you the right to come in here and jump my ass about anything? Don't you think you gave up that right when you dumped me for medical school? It really is arrogant of you to think I'm just going to stop living and wait for you. You didn't give me any of your time the last three months we were together, so knock it off."

"Sammy, whatever has passed between us has passed, but I still love you. I still care deeply enough about you to keep you from being self-destructive. And who was this girl you were with."

"Her dad owns the airplane and she's a friend. You know CC, I want to thank you," this getting me a strange look. "You have taught me something very important. I always felt intimidated by you and Barb being older and more mature than me. But I realize that you older sophisticated ladies were the ones who were making the fucked up personal decisions, not me. You two made me really feel better about myself."

"Besides you equally pissed me off when you say you have no time, but you can sure for parties and well for other things. So it's kind of cold when you can't spend time with me."

"Flying is not self-destructive. As I explained to my parents this morning: yes we had trouble and yes we were in danger, but we successfully landed and we're still alive. I don't think I owe you an explanation about who I spend time with. I will move on with my life and enjoy what I want to do for a change. I love you and you crapped on me, so what do I owe you?"

She started crying and ran to the bedroom to tell Saffron she was leaving. "It's okay Cese, I'll get a ride home was Sammy in the morning." CC ran out the door crying and drove home. At least I think that's where I figured she went.

Saffron came out of the bedroom drying her eyes and said, "What did you say to her to get her crying like that, you know what she's been through the last 14 hours? Do you really think that's fair?"

"Boy Saffron, you two certainly have a strange sense of right and wrong. Why do you think it's my responsibility to make her feel better? You guys are both living in the same dream world. Well I straightened her out on that real fast."

"She still loves you very much Sammy."

"I love her too Saffron, but I don't owe her anything, she made her decision. Now she gets to live with it."

"Sammy, how can you be that hard hearted?"

"That's not hard hearted, it's being a realist. I'm taking up for myself from now on and going to do what I want. I'm living my life to the fullest, at least for me; and that includes flying. I'm also going to own my own plane."

"Why didn't you tell me about all this?"

"It was a dream of mine and something I always wanted to do. I was going to surprise you and the parents by taking you up to the airport sometime and flying you someplace. That's what I meant by a surprise."

"I'm so sorry I was so hard on you Sam, but I thought I had lost you; I couldn't have stood that. I think you owe me a night, for last night's drama. I'm spending the night with you. You need to treat me right. I mean a night in your bed - with you."

"By the way, who was that girl you were with?"

"She was the daughter of the man who called you and a friend of mine from the airport."

"Are you sleeping with her?"

"We have slept together, but she's a little angry right now because of Charlie."

"Charlie's in Nashville, what does she had to do with this?"

"Ally's a big country music fan and we had to fuel up in Nashville. I called Charlie and had her meet us for lunch and Ally was going crazy because she was meeting Charlie. Things changed after we were there for a while and by the time we left Ally was pissed. She was so jealous that when I told her we should turn around she ignored me and we got struck by lightning and had to set down."

"It sounds like this girl likes you Sammy; of course I can't blame her."

"I like her an awful lot too, but I like her father even more."

"Right now I'm taking you out to dinner, my treat. You just have to drive. What do you feel like?"

"Definitely Italian."

"That sounds great, let me call the parents."

She called the parents while we were driving down to Alfonzo's which was about 5 miles away.

"You know Sammy, CC is definitely of a mind that you're going to get back together when she finishes school. She says it's destiny and really believes it."

"That's what I told her Saffron that made her cry. She really takes it for granted that I'm going to put my life on hold and wait for her. What if I meet someone on the way that I really care about; am I just supposed to ignore that? I'm possibly interested in having a relationship with Ally."

"You know Sam, it might just happen that you won't. CC really is the right girl for you, I've always told you that."

"I'm staying away from your crowd Saffron, your friends or just too rough on me emotionally."

When we got to the restaurant, I got a pleasant surprise when I saw Gerald and Melanie were there. They asked us to join them and we did.