Sandy Tobias

Story Info
Life was good until she was murdered and her secret was out.
43.4k words
4.19
13.2k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

by Philip Johnson

Prologue

Tanya and Jay Sheffield, your typical couple in their low thirties. Jay was six feet tall with sandy hair, a quick smile and an above average physique, and he still considered himself average. And then there was Tanya. Not a stunning woman as looks go. Dark blond hair and average blue eyes, but she had a body that men were compelled to study at some length. Of course she knew how to dress to accent her best features, like her slim waist and impressive breasts, and more than respectable hips and butt.

They lived just outside of the city limits of Granger, which in reality was almost an extension of Mishawaka, Indiana, which was almost connected to South Bend. The day will come when all three areas will become a large blended metropolis with city borders all but forgotten.

There was nothing in their lives that was especially remarkable. Their closest friends were Matt and Shelly, and it could be said that their lifestyle was pretty much the same.

Then there was Casey, Tanya's other best friend. Sadly, the relationship between Jay and Casey wasn't exactly the stuff of smiles and kindness. No, their mutual goal in life, it seemed, was to pick at or otherwise make life unpleasant for the other one. But their mutually agreed on misbehavior would soon be put to the test in a way that nobody could have ever expected.

Chapter One

"Jay," Tanya called out as they came in the front door. "We're just stopping for coffee and to rest and warm up."

"Talk softer," he said as he appeared, "I was just in the living room."

"Hi Jay," Casey said without a smile.

With barely a look and no smile he said, "Oh yeah...hi Casey," and he retreated to his little computer room or office. He'd frequently change the name depending on his mood, or perhaps what it was he was up to at that moment. He could hear them in the kitchen as they made coffee and talked. He couldn't make out their words as he stared at his monitor and his mind wandered, but he didn't really try to either,. Why did Casey always bring out the worst in him? She was perhaps even better looking than Tanya, but she didn't have Tanya's body. Hair much like Tanya's that she wore a little on the long side and hazel eyes that could almost have a hint of green sometimes. Perhaps a touch thinner than Tanya too, which was neither good nor bad, but just different.

Jay pulled himself out of his daydreaming and tried to pick at a small work project until he heard the front door open and close, and then Tanya appeared. "Jay, you are so rude hiding in here. I was embarrassed."

"Oh hell Tanya, had I come out there Casey and I would have just ended up picking at each other. I just saved all of us that stress."

"You're supposed to be an adult. We could have sat in the living room and talked. I have to think that you two could manage that for a little while."

"I can just see that. There I am sitting on the couch with Casey sitting next to me all nice and proper with her hands in her lap. I'd sit there and stare at the far wall hesitant to say anything for fear of starting something with her. It would be easier and more fun to sit next to an inflatable doll."

"Oh honey, don't tempt me, because I could say something to that. So why do you two always feel you have to have the last word. What's so all mighty important about that?"

"I don't have to have the last word, you're just imagining that."

"Sure I am. Well Casey is waiting for me in a cold car. We'll only be a couple more hours most likely."

"Take your time."

As she neared the front door she stopped and nearly laughing, she told him, "You couldn't stand the excitement of a blow up doll."

She just had the door open when he said, "And I don't have to have the last word," and she laughed so hard she almost slipped on the snow covered front step. He didn't even realize that he had just proved he had to have the last word.

That short exchange of words wasn't anything unusual for the two of them. No hard feelings at all, just an example of their usual post Casey visit discussion.

That topic came up again when they had dinner with Matt and Shelly at Granite City Friday night. Tanya waited until after dinner and they were sampling their just delivered Irish coffees when she said, "You should have seen how rude Jay was with Casey the other night." Shelly listened and Matt and Jay grabbed glances and rolled their eyes as they smiled and let the women talk.

"Okay Jay, what's the guy's version of that?" Matt asked.

"Oh it's pretty much as Tanya described it I guess, but she leaves out the fact that Casey is as much at fault as I am. She just can't seem to keep from stirring things up."

"Okay," Tanya said, "So she is a little outspoken, but she has to be to protect herself from your acid tongue."

"Well you're right about one thing, she is outspoken, or at least with me she is."

"Exactly, with you. You bring out the worst in each other. In fact you two are yin and yang. Neither evil, but both equal and total opposites."

That whole issue was forgotten after that, or at least until Wednesday night after work when Matt and Jay stopped for a cold beer and a sandwich before going home. "One thing with both women going with Casey to exercise is we don't have to worry about getting home at a certain time."

"So true. In fact, if you'll remember, the last time we were here was with the women and they reminded us that we'd had our limit."

"Of course they were right, but who wants to be reminded of that little detail."

"Excuse me," a tall skinny guy said standing next to Jay. "I was in here awhile back and you two were here with your ladies." Then looking at Jay he said, "Your wife looks like an identical twin to a woman that I met in Milwaukee a few years ago. Is there any chance that she would be from there?"

"No, she's much more local than that."

"Oh well, sorry to bother you. Oh, and if I may add, she's an impressive woman."

"Thank you and I agree." With that, Skinny smiled and went back to the bar to finish his drink and the incident was forgotten.

Thursday night, Casey was out of Jay's thoughts as was the skinny guy, because he was struggling with the wording on the job description for a new position that he was proposing at the office. That was when Tanya came in from work and asked him, "Didn't you go to work today?"

"Yes I did actually, but it was quiet so I decided I could do this in the comfort of home."

She smiled as she picked up his glass and sniffed it. "And just a touch of bourbon always helps."

He smiled and told her, "You're just too clever. You're right of course. I'm almost done here."

"That's okay. Oh, I just learned today that my job is changing temporarily."

"How's that?"

"I have to spend every other week in Lansing. I'll stay in the corporate apartment of course and I'll be paid more."

"That pretty much sucks, for how long?"

"It's open ended right now, so I don't know."

"Well if it goes on for months we're going to have to have a chat honey."

"Let's wait and see what happens okay?"

Chapter Two

Tanya left for Lansing Sunday afternoon and Jay wandered around the house muttering to himself. "Crap, it's almost like being single again." Her going back and forth one week at each office was going to get old very quickly, but at least Tanya was taking it okay. At first they talked to each other almost every night, but that quickly dropped off to Wednesday or Thursday night. He had to admit that once he had adjusted it wasn't intolerable, but he was still going to raise hell if it went on too long. She would get home late Friday night and then be tired for most of the weekend. Then work through the week only to go back to Lansing the next Sunday afternoon. Jay was doing a lot of his office work at home and that made his days at the office much easier, but it wasn't worth it to him.

It just happened that late in the day on a Thursday, Casey called and asked to talk to Tanya. "Sorry, she's in Lansing this week."

"Damn, I got the weeks screwed up somehow. I have some clothes of hers that I borrowed for a banquet and I was going to drop them off."

"Shit," Jay whispered to himself and then calmly said, "I'll be here if you want to drop them off."

"I'm coming in from a meeting in Kokomo so I'll be a little while. The damn roads are getting a little greasy."

"Don't you listen to the radio?"

"No I don't listen to the radio, I listen to my MP3 player."

"Well they've been talking about little else but the lake effect snow storm that's coming in with temperatures dropping fast and winds coming off of Lake Michigan."

"No damn it, this can't be happening."

"Yeah, well it is. You better just keep going and head home to St. Joe."

"Shit. My meeting sucked, this weather sucks and...never mind, I forgot who I was talking to."

"Good luck and don't hit anything or anybody."

"Gee thanks, I never would have thought of that on my own," and she hung up.

It wasn't half an hour later when Jay's doorbell rang and there stood Casey with an armload of clothes and a plastic bag and snow on her hair. He looked past her and said, "It's really snowing and blowing now."

"You know, you are just a fountain of wisdom."

"And hi to you," and he walked ahead of her toward the kitchen. "So why did you stop here?"

"Why? I could have sworn you just looked outside and said how crappy the weather is. I couldn't see more than twenty feet ahead of me at best, and sometimes not even that far, and my little Honda doesn't do worth a damn in a blizzard."

"Have some coffee and settle down."

"Do you have anything to put in it?"

"I have a bottle of Seagram's."

"That will work fine." There was no please or thank you to be heard.

While the coffee was brewing Matt called and asked, "You getting along in this blizzard?"

"Yeah. Casey just arrived and says the visibility is almost impossible."

"Casey is there without Tanya?"

"Yep."

"Oh shit, should I come over there and referee?"

Jay laughed and said, "I'll let you know."

"Well I'll be curious to hear how this situation plays out."

"You're just loving this a little too much."

"I think it's kick ass funny. Talk to ya tomorrow if you're still alive," and he hung up.

Jay and Casey talked over whisky laced coffee and managed to be civil to each other. "Jay, how is it going with the Tanya in Lansing thing."

"I hate it, but I agreed to ride it out for awhile. It worries me that this thing is an open ended arrangement, so that means there is no date on the calendar that is circled as the end."

"The last time I talked to her she seemed to be handling it okay."

"I know, and that worries me." Then changing the subject he asked her, "So why aren't you moving closer to your work? St. Joe is a long drive from here."

"I hadn't noticed. I just make that damn drive every day of the week. I can't sell my place in St. Joe for enough to get me into anything decent down here. Maybe after the Michigan housing market improves a little I'll look into it."

"Casey, you better stay in the guest room because the weather is supposed to get worse over night and into tomorrow before the winds start to ease."

She leaned back and said, "Damn it. I mean I knew I was probably stuck here...I mean... you know what I meant."

"Go pick out something to wear for tonight and tomorrow. It's just a good thing that you and Tanya are close to the same size."

"Maybe I can make it to the office from here in the morning."

"I doubt it, but maybe so. I'm not even going to try. If we were in town then maybe I'd try it, but not from here. It just isn't worth it."

She got up and rinsed her cup and put it next to the sink and said, "Are you sure you don't mind me rummaging through your bedroom?"

"No, you know where Tanya's things are."

"Her drawers are on the left I think."

"You got it."

Casey looked in Tanya's closet and then her dresser drawers and selected night ware and clothes for tomorrow, and put them all in the guest room, and then came back out. "It really felt weird doing that with Tanya not here."

"We both know she wouldn't mind at all."

"I know, but that was still a strange experience for some reason."

Both of them managed to behave themselves right up to bedtime. But morning proved to be a little different.

Jay was up and making coffee just after seven when Casey appeared in the kitchen and then suddenly stopped and said, "Damn it Jay, can't you find something to put on?"

"I can, but I do this every morning and then go take my shower."

"Do you always do this when you have company?"

"I don't know because I can't remember the last time we had anybody use the guest room."

"Like that made sense. So you're really not going to work?"

"In this crappy weather? Hell no, I'll work from here and send it in and then pick up the pieces Monday."

Jay finally filled his cup again and left the kitchen and then stopped. "Casey you look nice," and then he went to shower.

When he came back after his shower, Casey was sitting there reading the paper and then said, "What did you mean by that comment?"

"What comment?"

"Casey you look nice. That's sarcasm if I ever heard it."

"Holy shit that wasn't sarcasm, that was an honest comment. Damn, can't you tell the difference?"

"Of course I can, but you never compliment me."

"Well, I guess I'll retract those words then and say you look like you died during the night," and he left the kitchen again and went to his bedroom.

The next time he saw her was in the living room. She was watching the storm out through the large front window and she was wearing a skirt and blouse that belonged to Tanya, and it happened to be one of his favorite outfits. "Curious that you would wear that blouse with that skirt."

"Let me guess, you don't like it."

"I said that because that's the blouse that Tanya almost always wears with that skirt and it's my favorite."

"Oh."

"You look nice," and he turned to go back to his office.

She turned toward him and said to his back, "I don't have Tanya's great body though."

"That's true," and he kept walking away from her while she gave his back the finger.

"You're not exactly a hunk either you know," and he just waved to her over his head and kept walking. He wasn't in the mood to have the last word for a change.

Casey headed home by mid afternoon, and Matt was there by six to see what was left of his friend. They were still talking when Tanya made it home and Jay told her about Casey spending the night. "You and Casey alone in the house...at the same time?"

Matt laughed and said, "That's why I'm here to see what's left of him."

Tanya was smiling as she asked Jay, "So how did that go?"

"Not bad. We didn't exactly kiss each other goodnight of course, but we didn't kill each other either."

"This is unbelievable."

"Oh, and she borrowed some of your things so she'd have something to wear."

"What did she wear?"

"Well for bedtime she didn't wear much at all." Matt's eyes opened wider and then Jay added, "I said that for your benefit Matt. Actually she wore the blue pajamas, and for today she wore your gray skirt with the red button blouse that you always wear with that skirt."

"Your favorite."

"Right."

"How'd she look?"

"Very nice actually."

"Oh my God, you even complimented her just now. I can't believe this."

"We were forced into the situation, so we worked damn hard at not starting anything in the way of conflict. She got a little testy when she saw me in my briefs though."

"Jay you didn't."

"I thought I'd have coffee and be in the shower by the time she got up."

"I'm sure that was a shock for her. I can't wait to talk to her about all of this."

Matt stood up then and said, "Well nothing juicy or exciting here so I'm going home. Welcome home Tanya and maybe we can get out for dinner soon."

As soon as Matt was gone, Tanya sat down next to Jay and asked him, "Did you two really get along?"

"For the most part we did. Look, don't make more of this than it really was. She was stuck here and I was stuck with her. I could have ragged on her, but that would have just made it worse for me. I could tell she was biting her tongue at certain points and probably behaved just to make it more tolerable for herself."

"But it proves that you two can get along."

"For awhile at best though."

Tanya went to the bedroom and unpacked her bag, and came out and dropped onto the couch. "What a rotten week this was. So damn busy and it was the same at our offices down here."

"Sounds good for the company though."

"Not really, just one problem after another."

Tanya waited until Saturday morning and Jay was checking his email to call Casey. "Hi, I understand you and Jay had some quality time together. I didn't even see any blood on the floor."

Casey laughed and said, "Can you believe that one? We were actually pretty civil with each other."

"I'm almost speechless."

"I hope you don't mind that I borrowed some things. I'll get them back to you next week some time."

"Of course not, and no need to hurry. So how did Jay look in his briefs."

"Damn him. I'm surprised he told you about that actually."

"Not right away, but he was pretty up front about it."

"I didn't know what to do, but damn him I did stare at him."

"I'm sure you did and I can only imagine your shock."

"Once that wore off I nagged him, but he seemed indifferent to what I said. But you know, it's almost as surprising that he didn't unload on me like I was sure he would."

"You two are a constant surprise to me."

"Tanya, I really do owe him for taking care of me. That storm was so bad I didn't think I could even make it to a motel. I better get busy. Talk to you soon."

"Bye Casey."

Chapter Three

It was right at seven o'clock Friday morning of the fifth week that Tanya was working in Lansing, when Jay's doorbell played its little tune indicating the front door. "Mr. Sheffield?"

"I'm Jay, how can I help you?"

"I'm detective Withers and this is my partner Detective Lopez. We need to come in and talk to you for a minute."

"Sure, come in," and he stepped back. Detective Lopez closed the door behind him and Jay led the way to the living room. "Have a seat gentlemen."

"Mr. Sheffield..."

"Jay if you don't mind."

"Jay, your wife's name is Tanya correct?"

"That's right."

"Where does she work?"

"Manning Engineering, why?"

"Before we get into that, do you have a friend you could call? We'd like them to be here as well, in case we have other questions."

"Sure, but they don't live next door, so it might take some time."

"That's fine."

Jay tried to call Matt, but he didn't answer his cell phone so he tried Shelly with the same result. He knew that if they were in a restaurant they would have their phones off, so he thought and then tried Casey because everybody else would still be at work or lived too far away. Casey answered her phone on the third ring and said, "Casey."

"Hi, it's Jay and I need you to come over. Where are you?"

"I'm on my way to work, just a few miles from you on Cleveland. What's going on?"

"I don't know, but the police are here and want to talk to you and me."

"They must be mixed up."

"They probably are, but they won't say more until you're here."

"Damn. Okay, I'll be there in about fifteen minutes."

"Thanks, I'll tell them." Once they heard what Jay had to say, Detective Lopez said, "We'll go to the car and work on something. When your friend gets here we'll come back in."