Scheherazade and the King

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He moved over in the bed softly, trying not to wake the girl. He reached out a tentative hand and ran it through the fair curls that tumbled across the pillow, fingering one of the charms braided into her hair. Shariyar froze as Scheherazade moaned softly and rolled over. He let out a quiet sigh of relief as he realised she was still asleep.

Shariyar noticed then that one of her arms was above the covers and he began to study the tattoos that covered it carefully. They were Daarken, that much he knew, but his understanding of the strange language was rudimentary. He could make out only a few words: "arms", "eyes", "voice"... Shariyar was so lost in attempting to read the girl's tattoos that he did not notice the sudden expression of pain and fear that clouded her sleeping countenance. It was only when Scheherazade began to cry that he realised all at once she was in the grip of a terrible nightmare.

"No, no, no," the girl sobbed in her sleep. "Don't. No, no."

Shariyar pulled the girl into his arms, holding her gently against his chest as she cried. He had always thought it bad luck to wake a person while they were dreaming, a personal superstition he had had since childhood. He closed his eyes and held the trembling girl, planting reassuring kisses on her shoulder as she rambled nonsensically between sobs.

"Never surrender," she murmured. "Not to you."

Eventually the dream ended and Scheherazade's tears subsided but Shariyar fell asleep with his powerful arms wrapped around the girl. For a moment, at least, he could pretend to have someone who loved him in his arms.