Secrets of the Tea Room Ch. 09

Story Info
Queen tells Jackson the family history.
2.5k words
4.72
9.4k
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 9 of the 18 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/12/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before I left for Baton Rouge on Friday morning I ventured into the kitchen for a cup of coffee … I sat at the kitchen table watching Queen as she slowly kneaded a mountain of dough for her famous pastries. The sleeves to her darsheka were rolled up above her elbows and her forearms showed the strength of a woman much younger. She was silent and acted as though I wasn't even in the room … she began to hum an unfamiliar tune as she continued her work.

I crossed the kitchen to pour myself another cup of coffee and poured one for Queen as well. As I settled back in my chair I asked, "How long have you and Rose known each other?"

She continued her ministrations for another minute then covered the dough with a towel to let it rise. She looked at me, wiped her hands on her apron as she walked to the table and pulled out a chair, "Well, to tell the truth Mr. Emerly, I don't think there's ever been a time when I didn't know Miss Rose."

"Queen," I asked, "please call me Jackson … do you mean you two were raised together?"

A enigmatic smile crossed her face and she studied my eyes for a few seconds, "No … she and I … our families have been together for almost 150 years. When sugar cane was king in the Delta, my family was brought over in slavery from Jamaica and put on the block. Other families were split up and sold to different owners. When my family took their place in the auction, three of them stood proud with their chins up. The auctioneer expounded on the strength and health of each one … the man was stripped of his shirt and told to turn around, as he did his broad shoulders and biceps were pointed out … also, there were no scars on his back proving that he was a dutiful slave.

The young girl between them clung to their hands and little was said about her. Next the woman was told to open her mouth and a row of perfect white teeth attested to her overall health, her blouse was pulled from her to reveal pendulous breasts and a narrow waist. She had a birthmark on her right shoulder strangely in the shape of a fleur de leis.

In the audience a young woman gasped and clutched the arm of her husband. She spoke no words but her eyes implored him. He immediately understood and opened the bidding offering $3,000 for the entire family. Loud murmurs arose from the crowd but then quieted, no one counter bid and my family was led off the block to face their new owners.

The white man simply nodded at them, took his wife's arm to leave, and their new servants fell into step behind them. It was a long drive back to the plantation, and the three sat quietly in the back of a wagon loaded with supplies following the carriage in front of them. They were assigned a small house on the edge of the slave's quarters and settled in for the night, thankful they were still together but apprehensive about what the future held for them.

The next morning their new master approached them and asked their names. Although his shoulders were square he dared not look into the eyes of his new master … he knew it was considered a sign of insolence and punishable. He answered in a low voice, "I am Isaac. This is my wife, Marie, and our baby, Cherish."

"Very well," the new master said, "Isaac, have you ever done any work with horses?" Still with his eyes down, "Yes, master. I groomed and shoed the horses where I was before."

"Good, then," he smiled, "you'll be assigned to our stables to care for our personal mounts. Marie, would you and Cherish please go the big house and ask for your mistress …"

He turned and began to walk toward the stables. The couple looked at each other with surprise and questions in their eyes, but knew better than to say a word. Isaac followed the new master, Marie took Cherish's hand and started walking toward the big house. She entered through the kitchen door and stood for a moment while her eyes adjusted to the dimmer lights. Finally a pudgy woman a few years older than Marie saw her standing there and knotted up her brow, "Are you the new ones?"

Marie bobbed a small curtsey and answer, "Yes … master told us to come see the mistress … I'm Marie and this is my baby, Cherish."

"You two wait here, I'll tell the misses you're here," and she toddled off. She was back in just a few minutes, "Misses wants to see you in the parlor … come with me" They were led through the kitchen, dining room and into the hall … they had never been in the plantation house in Jamaica so the sights were new to them and their heads turned from one side to the other marveling at how well their new masters lived.

They came to a pair of pocket doors and the woman leading them knocked lightly, "Come in," said a gentle southern accent. "Thank you, Bert, you may return to the kitchen now."

Bert was surprised but said nothing to her mistress; however, Marie heard her muttering to herself as she turned to go back to the kitchen.

The sweet face framed by dark curls looked at mother and daughter. The little girl was frightened and half hid herself behind her mother's skirt. "There's no need to be frightened, Cherish … no harm will come to you here," she walked to the little girl and tilted her face up so the child could see her sincere smile.

"Marie … were you born in Jamaica?" she asked as she sat down.

"Yes, missus … I lived my whole life there until I was brought here."

"And, do you remember your mother?"

"Yes, missus"

"What do you remember about her?"

"Well, missus … my mam was born in Africa and brought to Jamaica half growed. She had learned of plants and roots and herbs so she doctored the other slaves and once in a while was called on to attend to the white folks … she had some magic … she could look into a kettle of water and see things."

"Can you do those things?"

"I was taught the healing arts …but I have no magic … it's not passed on sometimes. But I think Cherish has the gift."

"Do you remember your father?"

"No missus … I never saw him."

"Did your mother talk about him to you?"

"Yes missus."

"What did she say?"

"Mam said he was awful good for the eyes … a tall, handsome man she fell in love with the first time she saw him. He was a mulatto brought from Port Au Prince … she said his color was like coffee au lait and his laughter lit the whole night … she was never the same after he was taken away … always sad and gazing off toward the sea almost like she expected him to come to her again … I was born three months after he was sold off … but she said I always reminded her of him."

"Do you know why you reminded her of your father?"

"Yes missus … my color is lighter and my nose not so broad … also I carry a birthmark like his."

"A birthmark?"

"Yes missus … a funny little thing here on my shoulder," and she pushed aside her collar to reveal the fleur de leis.

"I see," said the new mistress. "Marie, I'd like for you and Cherish to work here in the big house with me. My baby will be born in another six months and I'd like you to attend to me."

"I'll be glad to, missus, I'll be glad to." This was wonderful news for Marie and Cherish … working in the house was so much better than in the fields … and it was considered a privilege.

Marie was smart and Cherish was a sweet child so they fit into the household almost immediately. Isaac loved the horses and took pride in their care, feeding, training, and appearance. It wasn't long before Marie was instructed that she, Isaac, and Cherish should have supper every night in the kitchen so that she wouldn't be burdened with cooking at the end of the day.

Days melted into weeks, and weeks into months. Soon preparations began to welcome the new baby.

When the pains began the master immediately called Marie and Cherish to his wife's bedside. He stayed with her, holding her hand, speaking softly to her. Marie busied herself gathering sheets, string, a sharp knife, and a kettle of water. Cherish stood on the other side of the bed and wiped her face with a cool cloth.

Time crept along and the pains continued, "Vera, darling, are you alright? Please be alright … I swear you'll never have to go through this again!"

She looked at his pale face, perspiring probably more than her own, "John, this is women's work … I'm going to be fine … but you need to go now … Marie will fetch you when we're done here."

"No … no, I can't leave you … this is all my fault, if anything should happen to you I don't think I could live with myself …I'm staying. Cherish, child, get another cloth for the missus …" he never took his eyes off of her.

Cherish walked to the kettle and stood perfectly still … "Master … the one that's coming is a Hopeful … she'll be here soon and the missus is going to be fine … and she's going to have three brothers someday." Almost without being aware of what she'd said, she dipped the cloth in the water and brought it back to her mistress. Her quiet words had riveted the attention of her mother, mistress, and master … "There you have it, John. All of us are going to be fine … go now, darling, and let us do what we must … I will present you soon with your daughter."

Although puzzled and hesitant, Marie coaxed him off the bedside stool and steered him out of the room. She got a fresh gown for her mistress, it was getting on in June and the hard labor had soaked the gown she already wore. As she gently pulled the gown over Vera's head, she let out a small gasp when she saw a birthmark on her mistresses right shoulder … a birthmark identical to her own … a fleur de leis. Although weak and tired Vera smiled, "Yes Marie …" but her words were cut off my another rolling pain.

John paced back and forth in front of the boudoir door, jolting to a stop when he heard Vera's scream followed by a tiny wailing. It seemed like an eternity before Cherish cracked the door, "Master, you have a beautiful baby girl and your missus is just fine … as soon as my mama gets her cleaned up and comfortable you can come in." Cherish didn't wait for an answer, she simply quietly closed the door and returned to help her mother.

When John was allowed to enter, the curtains had been drawn and the windows opened to let in the summer breeze. John rushed to Vera's bedside and knelt on one knee taking her hand, his throat no longer seemed to work and he could utter no words, he leaned over to kiss her hand and she felt the tear drops on her skin. Marie walked up behind him, "Here she is master … born on June 21st … the summer solstice … a good omen for her …"

John took the tiny bundle from Marie's arms and looked down on the cherub face of a porcelain doll face framed with tiny dark curls. As he unfolded the blanket around the baby to count fingers and toes, he noticed the birthmark on her right shoulder. He was in awe and turned to face his wife … "Thank you" was all he could choke out.

"John," Vera began, "I want to name her Summer Hope after today and after what Cherish said about her being a Hopeful … is that to your liking?"

"There is nothing I could deny you this day … but I think Summer Hope is perfect for this little angel. And now, darling, I'd like to show her off, everyone is waiting at the front veranda."

As he closed the door, Vera asked Marie to hand her the rosewood box from her dressing table. Marie handed it to her and Vera motion for her to sit on the stool beside her bed.

"Marie … you've seen the birthmark on my shoulder is the same as yours and your father's … now my daughter carries the birthmark as well. Do you realize that we are family?" "I wondered, missus … I thought it was odd."

"Marie, I have a favor to ask … would you and your family stay here with me and my family for always … we should help each other raise our children, we each have special gifts that we should pass on to subsequent generations … would you do that for me?"

Marie was puzzled, "Missus, we belong to you. We will stay here as long as you want us …"

Vera handed Marie a large parchment document, "Marie, this is a Writ of Emancipation. You, Isaac and Cherish are free now. You are slaves no longer. Now, will you stay with me … with us?"

Marie's hands shook as she took the parchment, "We're free? Does that mean we could leave any time we want to and go anywhere we want to?"

Vera nodded, "Yes it does."

"Will you teach my Cherish how to read?"

"Yes I will."

"And we'll never be sold or separated?"

"No, you'll all be together for the rest of your lives."

"Then, yes missus, we'll stay."

"Good … " The two women reached out and clasped hands on their promise.

And that was how it all began. Our two families have been intertwined now all these years … each generation inherited some of the magic, the other arts were carefully taught."

I don't know how long the telling of the story took, but when Queen finished I was frozen in place … somehow watching all of this … an odd sort of out-of-body experience.

I quietly got up from the table and retrieved the coffee pot to refill our cups. "And you, Queen, how does this all affect you?"

She smiled again a smile I could not read, "Miss Rose, like you know, was taught some of the healing arts and the erotic arts … I inherited some of the magic and learned some of the healing arts as well as picking up a little voodoo along the way … we work very well together."

My encounters with these two women always seemed to leave me with more questions than answers, but I had no chance to ask. Queen never touched her coffee and returned to her pastry making as though I wasn't even there."