Shanghaied

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rebecca nodded vigorously.

"One final thing. Your rings, Madam."

Rebecca made a move to cover her diamond and wedding band with her right hand.

"The colonel is expecting an unmarried lady."

Rebecca gritted her teeth and slowly withdrew her marital jewelry. This indignity was perhaps the greatest of any she had endured thus far. With a half-suppressed sob, she placed them in Chang's outstretched palm and watched his long fingers hide them from view.

"These will be returned to you when this unpleasant business is concluded," he said simply.

"And now a gift for the lady," he said immediately after, as he presented Rebecca with a long rectangular box. Inside, Rebecca found a pair of teal opera gloves. They would offset the dress remarkably and prettily.

"These are the sign by which the Colonel will recognize you, Mrs. Hayes. One last piece of advice. It is best that you use your Maiden name or some other alias this evening, is that clear?

"Yes, Sir!" squeaked Rebecca as she slid on the gloves.

Rebecca took a deep breath and sat in contemplation for a moment before Chang instructed her to rise. He threw a white stole around her neck and handed Rebecca a matching tiny white purse and pronounced her, "Ready." He led her out of the door of his office and into the back seat of his private limousine, before placing a discreet kiss upon her cheek and wishing Rebecca luck. The car pulled away from the curb and Rebecca's stomach felt as though it was falling from an airplane at a great height. She began to pray but stopped herself. What exactly should a whore pray for? Did God even hear the prayers of whores? She soon focused on practicing her smile and reminding herself that if she failed, Benny would die making her not only a fallen woman but also a widow!

The car made its way out of the walled-off section of Shanghai through a few neighborhoods before entering the bustling downtown. Before all of this had happened, Rebecca had found the city breathtaking. It seemed every known nationality and religion was in the city. There were Islamic mosques, Buddhist temples, Hindu Shrines, Western churches of every denomination. The streets were full of regal occidental and oriental women clad in finery from the runways of Paris as well as unkempt local children in little more than rags. The store windows brimmed with every conceivable product, and the food!

"It had been such a lovely vacation," she stated to the emptiness about her, "and then Benny had to go and... oh, pooh!"

She checked the purse and found an embroidered handkerchief. She blotted the tears from her eyes and said, "Courage, girl."

The drive was simultaneously too long and not long enough before it ended at the impressive edifice of the Strand Hotel, renowned as the gathering place of wealthy westerners. As the chauffeur held the door open for her, he presented a flask in his left hand.

"The boss tell me, you might need a bit of this, Ma'am."

Rebecca was never much of a drinker, but she certainly needed liquid encouragement at the moment. She accepted the proffered flask, unscrewed the lid, and took a sputtering draught before handing the flask back to the driver. The whiskey after her initial gasping slid down her throat and filled her with an inner warmth. Perhaps she was capable of this after all. She smoothed out her dress, adjusted her hat, and placed her foot upon the first step of the Strand. The chauffeur eyed her carefully to make sure that she entered the building, reminding the wayward housewife that eyes were on her constantly.

She entered the lobby of the building. Impressive did not begin to describe the architecture. The vaulted ceiling was gold leaf and ivory inlay. Even the cuspidors were jeweled! She felt out of place for a moment before she collected her wits and strode to the front desk. A well-tailored, handsome man smiled at her. "Can I help you, Miss?"

"Yes," returned Rebecca after a slight pause, "Can you direct me to the gentlemen's smoking room?"

"Certainly, Ma'am. Bi-Wei will conduct you there." He waved his hand and an earnest young uniformed Chinese lad appeared at her side.

"Bi-Wei, Please, escort this young woman to the gentleman's smoking room."

The youth bowed and then turned to Rebecca.

"This way if you please."

"Was this one of Chang's spies?" Rebecca asked herself.

She followed the adolescent up a mahogany trimmed staircase to a pair of ornate brass doors upon which was printed, Members Only.

"Will I be able to get in?" asked Rebecca.

"Beautiful women are never denied entry, Ma'am!" the lad returned with a smile and a wink as he extended his left palm.

Rebecca examined the purse once more and came up with an American silver dollar. Bi-Wei seemed utterly delighted by his prize. The door swung open, and Rebecca took a deep breath and stepped across the threshold.

All conversation stopped. Rebecca realized that all eyes were on her. She started breathing again and her lungs were assailed by the reek of cigar and pipe smoke. She coughed slightly and tried to peer through the haze of tobacco smoke. Conversation resumed and Rebecca thought that she sighted her quarry. The colonel's picture did not do him justice. Even though he was close to her father's age, his face was unlined and more than handsome. Only a few gray hairs in his neatly trimmed mustaches betrayed his true age. He sat in profile, in an overstuffed chair, depositing the ash from a cigar in an ashtray. He was wearing his red military tunic festooned with medals. Rebecca swallowed hard and made her way towards Colonel Whitemarsh. A moment later, she was extending her right hand and saying, "Pardon for interrupting, Colonel Whitemarsh, I am Rebecca Jones and I've heard so much about you, that I simply had to introduce myself."

The colonel doused his cigar, rose to his full impressive height, quickly drank in Rebecca's intoxicating form, noted her teal gloves, and extended his hand.

"Capital! The pleasure is mine, Madam," is what his lips said. Inside his mind stated, "By Jove, Chang is no liar!"

"Are you a Yank, Mrs....?"

"It's Miss," came Rebecca's second lie of what she knew would be many to come this evening and the next day, "and, yes, I'm from New Jersey."

"Which I understand is nothing like old Jersey."

Rebecca forced a chuckle at the colonel's hoary joke.

"Surely, this gathering place for ruffians is no place for a lovely orchid such as yourself. Shall we take some air, Miss Jones? Perhaps dinner?"

"That would be ideal, sir."

"Call me Archibald, I do so tire of hearing "sir" all the time.

"Will do, Archie." Returned Rebecca.

"You impertinent Yanks!" stated the colonel as his face transitioned from one of anger to one of bemusement. No one had called him Archie since he was a young boy. "By rights, I should take you over my knee for such informality, but you are so enchanting I am quite incapable of being angry."

Rebecca authentically giggled. She was finding her footing and realized that the colonel would be nowhere near a formidable as she had feared.

"You said something about dinner, Archie?"

"Yes, Miss Jones. If you would permit me to escort you."

Rebecca inserted her arm into the Colonel Whitemarsh's, and they strode out of the smoking-room. Rebecca felt immediately better in the fresher air. She was so glad that her Benny did not take tobacco in any form. The colonel escorted Rebecca to the world-famous restaurant in the Strand Hotel. It was on the roof amid a dazzling display of potted flowers and caged exotic songbirds. Rebecca had read about this place in the travel pages of the Sunday supplement of her local newspaper, but never in a million years would she imagine that she would be dining here. As it happened, she was positively famished. She had had next to nothing to eat all day. This part of her assignment was proving not the least bit onerous! The fragrance of the flowers and the trilling of the birds were wonders to behold. The colonel was well known here, so their wait for a table was not long.

The colonel pulled out Rebecca's chair as she sat down. He was subtle, but Rebecca noted his naked appreciation of her cleavage before he seated himself.

"I hope you are hungry, Miss Jones."

"Please call me Rebecca, and yes, I'm practically starving!"

"We will rectify that immediately, Rebecca."

The menu was in French and Chinese, neither of which Rebecca was the least bit fluent in. The colonel quickly discerned her ill-ease and announced, "I'll order for you, Rebecca."

"You are a lifesaver, Archie!"

At almost that precise moment, a neatly attired waiter turned up at the colonel's elbow. For a moment the two conversed in perfect French before the waiter made notations on his pad and vanished towards the kitchen.

"So, what brings you to Shanghai, Rebecca?"

"There's not much to say, Archie, I'm just a girl taking in the sights."

"OK, then what was your life like back in New Jersey wasn't it?'

"Yes, Passaic. I worked in my parent's bakery. I mostly iced cookies all day."

"Cookies? Oh, I think that is what you Yanks call biscuits. Sounds exciting."

"Hardly, but it was honest money."

The colonel did not react to Rebecca's misstep. Instead, he said, "I don't imagine that Passaic is anything like Shanghai."

"You can say that again!"

"I don't imagine that Passaic is anything like Shanghai."

Rebecca stopped short and then emitted a throaty laugh.

"I like you, Archie!"

"Good. I'm growing fond of you as well, Rebecca."

The two exchanged sincere smiles.

Their wine arrived and the colonel offered a toast to, "New discoveries and new friendships!" their glasses clinked, and Rebecca found the wine delicious.

Rebecca asked about the colonel's military career. Like many British officers, he was fond of doing so. He received a battlefield commission during the Boer war and later was part of the British Expedition to Tibet. His fluency in languages and cool demeanor under fire caused him to advance in rank until now, as the Twentieth Century celebrated its thirteenth year, he found himself in charge of the British garrison of coastal China. "Even the marines and sailors answer to me," he concluded with pride.

Their meal arrived as the colonel ended his spiel. Rebecca removed her long gloves. The colonel noted the red enamel. Rebecca felt as though she was broadcasting her new and only time profession and practically ached at the absence of her wedding rings, but she pushed past it.

"Fascinating, Archie, you are both brave and handsome," she stated with authentic admiration. "Later you will have to tell me what all those beautiful medals are for."

"If there is time, love if there is time."

Rebecca had no idea what she was eating but it was utterly delicious. She rapidly cleaned her plate only to discover that Archie's was still half-full.

"I'm afraid I made a pig of myself," offered Rebecca softly followed by, "I told you I was starving!"

"Think nothing of it. I like a girl with an appetite. At these prices, it is a crime to allow a single morsel to go uneaten."

Rebecca sipped her wine while the colonel continued to eat. Part of her was saying, "This might actually be a rewarding evening!" another part of her was yelling, "Slattern! You are a married woman!" quite vociferously. For the longest while her conscience engaged in bloody battle. The sun began setting behind the colonel's handsome visage and for some time after that, all Rebecca considered was the spectacular view of Shanghai bathed in orange and pink majesty. No, this was nothing like Passaic! It was even more beautiful than sunset in Manhattan, which Rebecca had experienced dozens of times.

The colonel finished his meal and ordered sorbet for them both. After licking her spoon, Rebecca excused herself to use the ladies' room. When she returned, the colonel had already settled the bill and he was waiting for her. He handed her the teal glove and Rebecca slid them on.

"How about, a night at the opera, Rebecca?"

"Oh, let's, Archie!" replied Benny's wife.

They rode down the glass elevator to the lobby where the colonel hailed a taxi and off, they went towards the Shanghai waterfront. As he sat next to Rebecca, he delicately squeezed Rebeca's gloved hand. She reciprocated. A short time later, he leaned in and stole a kiss. Rebecca found that she did not mind the after-taste of Archie's expensive cigars. When he leaned in a second time, she kissed him back, surprising herself with its conviction.

Rebecca felt like a movie star or princess among all the glittering beautiful people milling outside the theater. To her delight and relief, some of the women were wearing clothes even more revealing than her own.

It turned out that the colonel had twin balcony seats. He led Rebecca through the milling crowd or into the cool of the opera house.

"What is or tonight's program?" asked Rebecca.

"Aida. Are you familiar with it?"

"Well, no..."

"You'll like it. It's a love story sung in Italian."

"But I don't speak Italian!"

"That scarcely matters, silly girl!"

For the next several hours, Rebecca was completely captivated. The tragic love story struck close to home. Throughout the first act, Rebecca clung intensely to the colonel's strong and muscular arm. She found herself breathing heavily and identifying with the pretty diva and lusting after the basso profundo. As the curtain fell, Rebecca planted a completely unambiguous kiss on her escort's lip. The colonel realized that he was in for a majestically memorable evening. He wondered where in the world Chang had found her. Working girls were rarely this innocent. "Miss Jones" practically bordered or the naïve! Wherever she was from (he was certain that Passaic was just a cover story) if this was the kind of entertainment that Chang provided on a regular basis then the man must be doing SOME things right! "Chang is a man of his word and a man of integrity. It shall be a pleasure doing continued business with him!" he said avidly as he washed his hands and gazed upon his reflection in the gentlemen's lavatory. "I can just imagine what is under that dress! Without a shadow of a doubt, she is a true blonde in every sense!" As he exited the loo, the colonel wondered how he would make it through the second act of the opera without immediate release. "Grin and bear it." He uttered softly.

He exchanged a brief, chaste, and totally appropriate, considering the milling crowd about them, kiss with Rebecca when they were reunited after their respective calls of nature. Rebecca seemed positively giddy. It would have stunned the young wife if it was suddenly brought to her attention that he had not given her captive, endangered husband even a passing thought for quite some time. Archie was such a charming man. A warrior and a gentleman who knew how to praise a woman sweetly, effectively, and sincerely. Rebecca wondered if it was maturity or some other undefinable attribute that made him so alluring and naturally romantic. Whatever it was, Rebecca decided that she wanted more of it. As much as she could take in fact!

The opera ended and Rebecca wiped away tears with her hanky. "Oh, Archie! That was beautiful!" And there, in the darkened balcony, she gave him her most passionate kiss yet. The colonel was so floored by the osculation that he was amazed that he didn't climax on the spot. "I MUST get her out of here!" his thoughts verging on desperation.

The colonel placed his bundled gloves inside the belt of his trousers. He hoped that the legerdemain was enough to conceal his painful erection from probing eyes. It had been quite some time since a woman had excited him as much as Rebecca Jones; he certainly didn't want to waste his essence before it had been put to good use!

"Come, Rebecca," he said as he took her hand, "let's go someplace quiet where I can tell you about my medals."

"Sure, Archie!" returned Becky happily.

He had a devil of a time hailing a cab. But at last, an unoccupied one pulled up in front of them. "To the Royal Arms, driver. Quickly!" barked the colonel.

"Right-O, sir!" returned the Chinese driver smartly.

Traffic was a bit heavy, but they made it north and east in a reasonable time. The Royal Arms was not the most prestigious of addresses in Shanghai, but it was the place of residence by choice of the British diplomats, reporters, and military men. Everything that happened there was kept strictly confidential and private. No one ever saw anything, and no one ever reported anything about the comings and goings of visitors of both sexes. The taxi pulled to a stop before the modest-sized hotel. The colonel, in exquisite agony, paid the driver a rather large gratuity and shepherded Rebecca across the threshold under his strong left arm. The elevator doors closed, and Rebecca was in his arms, savoring Archie's kisses. The elevator rose five floors before opening. The colonel, so full of passion, practically staggered like a drunk man down the hallway to his door. He produced the key, threw open the door, and flicked the light switch.

"Nice digs, Archie!" said Rebecca as she surveyed the room. Citations and military photos and portraits lined one wall while the other was lined in books. The two settled on the couch next to the small but well-stocked bar. It was quite a long while after that that either one came up for air.

She was settled in his lap, very aware of his massive erect manhood when he offered her a small glass of sherry. Rebecca accepted. The colonel poured himself some whiskey and tried to calm himself down. "You are not some besotted young groomsman on his wedding night!" he hastily reminded himself. This evening was to be savored.

The pupils of Rebecca's eyes were dilated. Languid emotion was bubbling up inside her. She knew very well what was to transpire but suddenly she had no idea how to begin. She pointed to a random medal or his chest and asked, "What is this one for, Archie?"

"That was for gallantry under fire."

"Oooh!"

"Come into my bedroom where the light is better, Rebecca."

She followed him to the bedroom where the light wasn't any better. Rebecca noted the large bed beneath the portrait of the king. The room was so profoundly masculine, she mused. It needed a woman's touch, but Archie didn't really need a woman. At least not on a full-time basis. His world and her world would only ever truly intersect here. She set her behind on the bed. Archie stood facing her. She noted the impressive bulge threatening to rend his trousers and was deeply touched that she had so thoroughly reached such a strong virile man.

"Let me help you with that, Archie." She said matter-of-factually as her hands reached for the beltline of his uniform.

Archie made an appreciative sigh and just like that Rebecca was contemplating his long, girthy, and uncut manhood. It was a lovely sight to her eyes. Benny had had an infection as a teen and had been circumcised. She stroked it gently with her fingers for a moment or two before opening her mouth and slowly taking him in. Rebecca wondered what was coming over her, she had never done anything like this before. She recalled Benny's whiny pleadings for "the French style," and quickly pushed them away. She wanted no reminders of her husband tonight. This was her night. Her night and Archie's night. She became even more daring.

The military man grunted, and Rebecca realized that her mouth was full of his seed. "This is what a real man tastes like!" she thought satisfactorily as she swallowed the entire load.

"Oh, my heavens!" gasped Archie as his body went lax all over.

Rebecca giggled and giggled and kicked off her heels.

"I assume that that is not all there is," she stated mischievously.

"Of course not, love! I just need some time to reload!"