She Reminds Me Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack gasps. "Oh, fuck! Of course. I'll meet you at the airport."

****

David's watching Jack's face as he talks on the phone. He admires his beauty and easy smile. But, suddenly the smile turns into a frown, and he's getting out of bed, blissfully naked, but worried and scared.

"I'll meet you at the airport."

David frowns as he catches the tail end of Jack's conversation. They're supposed to sleep in and order room service. David can't stop the annoyance from carrying into his voice. "What's going on, Jack?"

Jack closes his cell phone and starts to put his clothes on. He's shaking. "That was an old friend. He just told me that my best friend was hurt in New York. I need to see her."

David immediately regrets thinking so selfishly. "I'll go with you."

Jack looks up from putting on his shoe. His face is skeptical but hopeful. "Really, David?"

David jumps out of bed and starts to get dressed. "Yes. Just fill me in on the way to the airport."

Jack rushes over to David and kisses him hard. David feels lightheaded afterward. "What was that for?"

Jack shakes his head. "For being so caring."

David makes a decision to never let this man go, and whispers, "Well, I care about you."

Jack looks up at David and smiles. His eyes are glistening. "I care about you too."

****

I'm looking over some music I've just written at 1 p.m. I couldn't sleep last night, so I wrote. The song is dark and moody, but I like it. It took me twelve hours to write, but it was restorative. I feel like I'm able to move on. I don't know if my record label will like my new material, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I yawn and rise from my desk to try and take a nap when the doorbell rings. I stretch and walk over to my front door. I look at my video screen and see that it is David. I open the door with a smile. "I can't believe you actually came! Why didn't you call me?"

As David walks into my apartment, I notice his disheveled appearance. "I think you should sit down."

I frown as I follow him into the breakfast nook. We sit down and I see his face in the harsh light. He looks worried. "You're killing me, Dave, what's wrong?"

"As your lawyer I need to ask you where you've been for the past twelve hours."

"What? Why are you asking me that?"

David's face gets red, and he raises his voice in annoyance. "Dammit, just answer the question!"

I swallow in fear. David doesn't get this angry. "I was here. All night. From 1a.m. on."

David nods. "Were you at the 'Renaissance' club at all last night?"

I furrow my brow and rub my hands through my short hair, trying to figure out this line of questioning. "Yes, around midnight. But I left before 1 a.m." My mind races as I put the pieces together... I don't want to believe...

David takes my hand, but I jerk it free and stand up. "What the fuck is going on, David? Talk to me!"

David's face is pale and he's frowning. "Sit back down and I'll tell you everything."

I sit down reluctantly, staring at David's somber face.

David rubs his hands over his face. "It's Evelyn. She's in critical condition at St. Mary's hospital. You can't go there so don't even think about it.

"She was attacked at the 'Renaissance.' last night. I know you didn't do it, but I needed to ask because the police are going to be all over you."

I want to scream because I could have stopped this. "I saw her. She was with a client. Oh, god, David. And then I saw Liam. He was gloating..."

David seems to be digesting this information unsurprised. "I know she was a call girl and you hired her for the L.A. tour. I talked with her before your second show. Liam was forcing himself on her that night and I walked in on them. She told me that she had been abused by him when he was her client. I caught Liam before he could leave and we fought. He admitted that he is obsessed with her, but I told him to stay away. Apparently he didn't"

I flinch. "Are you saying Liam did this? Because Evelyn was with another man."

David answers calmly, "I don't know who that man is, but I would assume that he wouldn't have been able to stop Liam."

David sighs. "I didn't want to tell you this for the same reason you didn't tell me about Evelyn... I'm with someone who's in the same line of work as her, and he is her closest friend. He told me there is no doubt in his mind that Liam did this. He told me why you fired her, but he knows you'd never hurt her. I told him you would never hurt her."

I'm clenching my fists so hard I can feel the skin of my palms being pierced by my fingernails. "Please tell me the police have him in custody."

David looks at me with a sympathetic frown. "They can't really do anything without a witness account. Are you willing to tell them what you told me?"

I stand immediately. "Of course. Let's go."

David stands and takes my shoulder. "You'll need to be prepared for them to turn on you. People saw you at the club last night. "

I nod with determination. "I'll cooperate however I can so that they can take me off the suspect list. And then they will catch Liam... or else I will."

****

Fred and Jack have been allowed to visit Evelyn for a few minutes. Fred curses under his breath when he sees her bruises and leg; bandaged from the knee up to her mid-thigh. She's hooked up to so many machines it's hard to recognize her.

There was a deep gash on her thigh. The doctor told them she would be sore for a few weeks.

Jack sobs into his hand and shakes his head. "Oh, fuck, Fred. How could he do it again?"

Fred frowns. He didn't have an answer for that. But he knew if Evie didn't wake back up that son of a bitch would pay. "We better get going, Jack."

Jack walks over to her bedside and gently takes her left hand. "Evelyn, I know you can hear me. Please know that I love you, and want you back as soon as possible. You have to show me around New York. I miss you so much." He bent down to kiss her forehead, and left the room.

Fred walks over and pats Evelyn's left hand gently. "You will make it, sweetheart."

****

I've just come home from the police station. David is sitting next to Jack who is still emotional. David is rubbing his back in slow circles trying to comfort him. I'm pacing the floor of my apartment. Fred is standing by the bar helping himself to a drink. I pause and watch him pour the brandy, replaying the questions over in my mind.

David had prepared me for the worst, but I wasn't prepared for them to show me the photos of her body lying on the bed; naked and bleeding, cash thrown over her as an afterthought. They wanted to rile me up, and they succeeded. I made a scene, saying some awful things I didn't mean. David tried his best to calm me down, but I wouldn't listen.

By the end of the interview I was beat; emotionally and physically. They couldn't arrest me because the bartender said he saw me leave around the time I said I did. The bartender also gave a detailed description of the man Evelyn was with, and it matched what I described.

They let me go after four hours, and said they would look into Liam's involvement; but I wasn't sure I could believe them.

Fred looks at me and then hands me the drink he just made. I must look like I need one. He gives me a half smile and shakes his head sympathetically. "I was wrong about you. You really care about her. I know it won't be easy; but you will have to distance yourself. We all have to let her go eventually. Even me."

I down the drink, savoring the burn in my throat. My voice is rough from the alcohol and my emotions. I ignore Fred's statement. I refuse to think about leaving her. "How did you meet Evelyn?"

Fred squints up at the ceiling for a moment; I assume to dredge up old memories. He pours himself a small drink and looks at me. "She was barely fourteen and selling herself out in the rain. I had no idea how she got there but she was on my turf. I had to either scare her away or hire her.

"She was scared already, so I knew it wouldn't take much to make her leave; but I was captivated by her. She was shivering and her teeth chattered when she spoke. I agreed to double her price if she'd come home with me. She agreed somewhat reluctantly. I paid her when she got in my car and we talked on the drive home."

I look at Fred closely. He's in his fifties. He's in good shape. Salt and pepper hair, cut close. No facial hair. His clothes are casual but sophisticated. If I didn't know his profession, I'd think he was a businessman on vacation. His eyes are bloodshot. Probably from crying. He takes a sip of the brandy and continues with a frown on his lips.

"She had run away from her foster parents. She didn't say they were abusive but I figured they were. She had been living on the street for two weeks. They never even filed a missing persons report.

When we got home I fed her and told her to get cleaned up. She fell asleep in the bathtub." Fred chuckles at the memory. "Even if I had intended to get my money's worth; she would have been of no use to me that night."

I absorb this new information about Evelyn. "So, you employed her at fourteen?"

Fred glares at me before shaking his head. "No, I didn't. She started when she was seventeen. And I didn't really want her to then, but she started taking over for some of my other girls when they were sick behind my back."

"She must think of you as a father."

Fred shrugs and sips his drink. I pour myself another. He looks at me with a sad smile. "When men see her they see a fantasy; their dream girl come to life. When I look at Evelyn, I see a shivering little girl, scared out of her mind. I will always see that little girl; no matter how tempting she is."

I nod and look over to David and Jack. Jack looks at Fred and smiles then he looks at me. "Would you like to know how I met Evelyn?"

I nod, remembering Jack kissing Evelyn the first night they were together. "Sure."

"We're a few years apart. I was seventeen and she was twenty-one. She was ahead of me in line to get into this posh club. She was drop-dead gorgeous in a skintight blood red dress that barely covered her up. She intimidated me but I also felt that she was approachable enough for me to talk to her.

"I tapped her on the shoulder and she turned around and just glared at me. Eventually she said, 'What do you want?' I asked her if she would say I was with her so the doorman would let me in. She asked if I was twenty-one; I lied. She smiled knowingly and said she would let me in with her if I got her drinks. I agreed. When we got in she had me order her a vodka tonic and said, 'Get yourself a coke, baby.' By the time I got back with our drinks, there were five guys hitting on her. I squeezed through them and handed her the drink. She winked at me, took a sip then said, 'If you want me, fellas, you'll have to call me another night. This is my date.' A couple of them were insulted and left, but the rest took her number down.

"I had my suspicions but I wasn't sure she was a prostitute. After they all left, she asked me how long I'd been working. I told her two months. I asked her how she knew and she whispered in my ear, 'A pro always knows.'

"She told me she wasn't working tonight she just wanted to have fun and we did. We didn't leave until 3 a.m."

I smile thinking about her and Jack out partying the night away. I feel the need to open up to these two new friends, but I bite my tongue. "Thank you for telling me about her. I wish I had something to share, but it would probably be too graphic anyway."

Jack chuckles. "Probably."

Fred's cell rings and he answers it with a solemn face after reading the caller I.D. "This is Fred. Yes? Really? All right, I'll be there shortly."

Jack stands up. "What is it, Fred?"

Fred clears his throat and looks to heaven then looks at me with a smile. "It's Evelyn, she's awake."

****

When I wake up I feel like I'm in a dream. I recognize my surroundings immediately. I was here before. Not that long ago. I hear beeping coming from my right and I notice the monitor. I look down at my body, swathed in white and close my eyes. I try to call out but I can't make the words. I press the nurses call button on my bed and wait patiently for someone to come. Finally a nurse shows up and looks surprised. "Oh! Let me get the doctor." She leaves me and I try to move my legs but my right one isn't responding. I look down and see the bandages wrapped around my thigh. Bile rises up my throat but I swallow it down. I whisper hoarsely, "This is exactly like before."

****

After talking to the doctor about my condition I feel numb. He said he called Freddy and that he was on his way, but that seems like hours ago. I reach for my ice chips and chew slowly. My jaw feels bruised and my throat is raw. Every bone in my body is aching. I press the morphine dispenser for the second time in half an hour. It doesn't seem to be helping.

I hear my door being opened and I look up thinking it's Freddy, instead it's a nurse and a police officer. He smiles, but it's forced.

"Evelyn, this is Officer Jeremy Tate with the New York City Police Department. He has a few questions for you if you feel up to it."

I lick my lips and say, "Okay."

The nurse leaves and Officer Tate takes a seat next to my bed. He's tall and I feel small with him sitting so close; but when he speaks, he seems genuinely sympathetic.

"I want to apologize ahead of time if these questions seem a bit personal."

I nod and grab a fistful of linen. "Are you going to ask if I'm a prostitute?"

He swallows somewhat nervously. "Yes."

I look him in the eye. My voice sounds gravelly but the anger gets through. "You won't believe me, but I've been retired for about a month now."

He nods. "Money was scattered around you on the bed when we found you."

I sigh and look up at the ceiling. "Someone was playing a cruel joke I guess."

He frowns and writes something down in his pad. "Do you remember the man you were with last night?"

I bite my lip, trying to recall the evening. "Yes. His name was Paul, or at least that's what he told me his name was... He bought me a couple drinks. We went up to the hotel room and I blacked out. That's all I remember."

"Could you describe him to a sketch artist?"

I nod. "Yes."

"One more thing. Your previous client was brought in for questioning and he said that a former client of yours was at the club that night. Do you remember anyone else?"

"If you are referring to Liam, no. But, he's done this before."

"Yes, that's why I needed to be sure you didn't see him that night."

I make eye contact with the officer. "I was drugged, I can't remember. But, officer, would you think that a complete stranger would go to this kind of trouble just to sleep with me? He could have had me without the drugs. And I didn't even ask for money."

"We will do everything we can to find who did this to you. Thank you for your time, Evelyn. I'll send someone in later today for that sketch."

"All right, thank you, officer."

After Officer Tate leaves I feel drained. I fall asleep waiting for Freddy with my hands clenched in frustration.

****

Fred walks through the door and sees Evelyn asleep on the hospital bed. He turns to the nurse. "Is she all right?"

She nods. "Yes, she's probably just exhausted after talking with the doctor and the police officer."

Fred nods and walks to the side of the bed. Jack is close behind. Jack's voice is soft. "Evelyn, we're here for you. You can sleep if you want, but we need to know you're ok." He gently brushes the hair from her eyes.

Evelyn's eyes open slowly. "Jack?"

Fred smiles. "I'm here too."

Evelyn smiles slowly and looks up at them both. "I'm so glad you're both here."

Fred's smile fades and he asks her with anger in his voice. "Do you know who did this to you?"

Evelyn shakes her head. "I can't remember anything. But, my leg reminds me of Liam."

Fred takes Evelyn's hand. "I want you to stay with me for awhile. Until you're back on your feet."

Evelyn smiles. "I'd like that. Thank you."

Fred smiles and nods to Jack. "I'll be outside."

Jack nods and sits down on the bed and kisses her on the cheek. "They'll catch that motherfucker."

Evelyn sighs, "It doesn't matter. I can't remember anything. And even if I did..."

Jack cuts her off. "Don't say that. You know he did this. Don't doubt yourself."

She nods looking down at the sheets. Jack lifts her face up with a finger under her chin. "Fred didn't want me to tell you this, but... Your singer was there that night. He saw Liam there."

Evelyn's eyes close. "That's what the cop said."

"I know this is a lot to think about. Please get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow."

Evelyn falls asleep just as Jack closes the door.

****

It takes a week before I'm able to go home. I feel odd living with Fred without working. I rarely leave the house without Fred tagging along. I know he's only trying to protect me, but I need my space.

Fred's house is full of beautiful girls. Some work for Fred, other's work for themselves. I help some women pick out clothes, others with their makeup and hair. Sometimes, I just talk to them to ease their discomforts. It gives me something to focus on and I enjoy it.

I decide to sneak out of the house one afternoon when Fred is away. I planned this a week in advance, scheduling the hair appointment making sure Fred would be away for at least three hours.

I have a hard time not looking over my shoulder to check to see if I'm being followed. The taxi stops in front of the beauty parlor and I pay the driver. I walk inside the store and am greeted warmly by the owner. She has me sit down and look over some different hairstyles. I know what I want, but I casually browse while she tells me how beautiful my hair is. I thank her and come across a short bob. "This is what I want."

She raises her eyebrows. "You want me to chop off all of this beautiful hair? I don't know if I can do that. Are you sure?"

"Yes, please. I just really need a change."

She gives me a small smile. "All right. But I have to warn you this is going to make you look completely different."

I smile at her reflection in the mirror in front of me as she wraps a cover around me. "I hope so."

****

When I get back to the house Fred is there and he's furious. I didn't expect him home so soon. "Freddy, please! I'm a grown woman. I need to be able to get out on my own again."

While I say this his face freezes in shock. "What the fuck did you do to your hair?"

I smile. "I got it cut. Don't you love it?"

Fred walks up to me lifts his hand to the hair around my ear. "I hate it! But, it's not like your working anymore. You can look ugly if you want to."

I laugh. "Thanks a lot."

Fred sighs and smiles. "Sorry, it's just... You know how I feel about short hair."

I nod and roll my eyes. "It's not feminine, I know. But I needed a change."

His eyes seem to lose their hardness and he hugs me. "I love you no matter what, baby."

This is the first time since New York that I have to fight back tears. "I love you too, Freddy."

As we break up he grabs my hand. "I just got off the phone with Officer Tate. He said they found Paul."

"Oh, what did Officer Tate say."

"Paul was reluctant to cooperate at first but he finally admitted Liam's involvement. Look, Liam's still out there. He's going to be looking for you. Tate said you need to be careful until they find him. So, no more hair appointments without me, all right?"

I force a smile. "Right." I know I should feel relieved that the police are finally looking for him, but somehow I just feel more scared. "I need to take a shower, and I think I'll turn in early. I'm exhausted after my little excursion."

Fred frowns. "You need to eat something. I doubt you've had any lunch."