Sheeple Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers

"The paperwork said start with disk one and if you couldn't cope, call this 1-800 number and they'd get some geek to come help. I think it was the idea of someone in our system that made Suzanne uncomfortable."

"No doubt. She's almost as sensitive about things like this as we are."

"I know. Can you look at it safely without causing any trouble?"

"Yeah. I'll dump it onto my Linux box and make sure the network cable is unplugged." Eric opened the CD tray on a black computer tower named Lefty. "I'll let you know what I find."

"Okay. Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes," she said as she left the room. "Love you!"

"Love you too, Kate." Eric began to run the program.

*

Kate had plated out the children's dinners and was getting hers and Eric's plates ready when she heard cussing coming from the sewing room. Kate headed down the hall wondering what was going on.

"Damn it! Forn...." Eric stopped a stream of cussing as Kate came in the room.

"What's wrong Eric?"

"This program. It's spyware. Nasty, ugly, pissy..."

"I get the picture. What did it do to your computer?"

"Nothing I can't fix. I used my Linux box, so it couldn't get it's claws all the way in. However, if you had used it on your machines down at the shelter, Oh my."He was shaking his head.

"What would they have done? I'm not understanding why you are so peeved."

"Spyware tells companies what you look at on the net or where you go. Sometimes they also allow viruses in, and other nasties. This one did it all. Any of the stuff that you type into the report matrix's would be available to anyone who knew your address, and every time you logged in online. Oh, and this program demands that you log in online."

"Shit. What the hell are they doing this for?"

"To get information. I'm not sure what information they are after, but that is what it will do. It will turn every machine it is added to into a direct feed to whatever agency built this."

Kate looked at Eric as she thought a moment. "Could this be a tool to hunt down people?"

"Yes."

"People like you?"

"Yes. Exactly. Part of me is happy that we aren't in your data banks any more. Part of me is really freaked out that this thing has landed at your shelter."

"Okay, what am I missing?"

"Well, unless all shelters in this state got this little program, your shelter is being targeted. And if you are being targeted, the agency I worked for may still be hunting for me. The Sargent may have just lost a battle and have a new weapon."

Kate was apprehensive. Trying to figure this out, and not coming up with any answers. "Okay, so if this is too late to catch you in our data base, how could it be a threat? I don't understand."

"It doesn't read just your data. It also copies down your email, Internet usage and just about anything on your hard drive that isn't locked down tighter than a bank vault."

"What?"

"Yes Kate, this is Spyware. It can do just about anything it wants and you can't stop it once it is on your computer."

"So they might be reading our emails? Our schedules, or anything that might lead them to you?" She wasn't sure she really wanting the answer.

"Yes. And from what I can tell, if you don't add it to your computers, they will make you add it."

"Like threaten to cut our budget."

"Exactly. Give me a few hours and I will see what I can do to work around this. Meantime, call Suzanne and have her come over to talk about this. Don't mention it on the phone either. Just ask her to come over for a cup of tea."

"And bring her tinfoil hat?" she said sarcastically.

"Oh yeah..... a great big one!" Eric 's tone had far more seriousness in it.

*

Kate brought Eric his supper and then called Suzanne. She invited her over for a cup of tea and was waiting for her to show up. Kate paced nervously. More cussing issued from the room down the hall. She wondered if Eric hadn't bitten off more than he could chew. And for Eric, that was a pretty big bite.

The doorbell caught Kate drifting off in thought. She shot straight up out of the chair and was at the door even before Luna could bark. Suzanne walked in and the two of them were off to the kitchen to talk. They brought Eric a cup of tea when they went down to talk to him.

"So, you say this is government software?" he asked.

"Yes. Apparently all the shelters in the state got it," Suzanne said.

"Did you check?" Kate asked.

"Yes, of course I did. All of them got it, and most of them are unhappy. Apparently it's worse than the phone company when it comes to messing up the computers."

Kate knew how much Suzanne hated it when the phone company came to the shelter. They unplugged lines they shouldn't and mess up all the computers. "So, we have to use this stuff if we want our funding?"

"It seems so. I am tempted to put it on just one machine, and only feed it select data if it does what Eric says it can."

"Oh, it will. It's nasty. Some code monkey had way too much fun with this. They must have sold their souls to the hackers to get this stuff without having to fess up about what it does." Eric was upset.

"Can you disable any of it?" Suzanne asked.

"I think so. What will be interesting is if they can spot the blocks I add and what they will do about it. As it is, I think I'll send it to some hacker friends of mine."

"You have friends in the hacker community?"

"Yes. Just because I was homeless for a while doesn't mean that I'm totally without contacts." Eric's reply was rather curt.

"Oh.... I'm sorry Eric. That was rude of me. I didn't mean it like that, its just...just that you don't seem the type to know hackers and such."

"Hackers aren't criminals Suzanne. Just people who really think out of the box."

"Out of the box? Oh, that's a good one Eric!" Kate said as she started to laugh. The other two looked at her, realized just what Eric had said and started laughing too.

*

Next morning, Eric was fretting over his tea. They were going to install the software, but with some minor modifications that hopefully would go unnoticed. Or, if they were, they would look like novice software install errors. Little things like forgetting to click certain boxes and pathways for file access. They had also planned to notify some of the other shelters in the area that were upset to co-ordinate the same errors. This way it wouldn't highlight just one shelter. It would also let them know if any one shelter was being targeted.

"Are you sure this will work?" Kate asked.

"No. But it's better than just stuffing that disk in and letting it go. I just hope I caught all the junk." He put his cup in the sink. "Let's go and get this over with."

Kate nodded and grabbed her keys and handbag. The kids were already at school as Zach had driven that morning. He was interesting in what was going on, but Eric said that the fewer people around the office, the better.

It was a quiet drive to the shelter. Eric was running code through his head and making notes in his memo book. He was a meticulous note taker. Lists and notes as well as paperwork kept in files. Some days Kate didn't know what to do with him. It seemed as if he never threw anything away. He'd already filled up the one file drawer she'd cleared for him. She also wondered just how much it hurt him to just up and walk away from so much of his life.

*

"Morning Suzanne!" Kate hollered towards her office as they came into the shelter's main reception area.

"Good Morning! Are we ready to start?" Suzanne asked.

"Yes. Did you decide which computer to put this on?" Eric asked.

"I figure that we will put it on mine. I don't do much email and most of this stuff is paperwork that I do anyways. If we need Kate to do something, she can work on my machine."

"Alright. Let's get to work."

Kate handed the software over as well as a disk that Eric had burned last night. She had her own work to do this morning while those two installed the software. Eric and Suzanne went off to Suzanne's office.

*

Lunchtime came and went before Eric poked his head in the door. "I think we got it all."

"I hope so. Now to see if we light up any notice boards in some dark, dank office," Kate groused.

"Yeah. Let's hope that the other shelters got the stuff in like we planned."

"We should hear from them fairly soon. Brian and Abby said that they'd call as soon as they were done. Each of them are adding it to just one computer as well. I can't see the government having too much of a fit over that."

"One could hope. I'm going to head down the street and grab us some lunch. Roast beef or turkey?"

"Roast beast." Kate used the name her boys always had. Andy had accidentally said beast instead of beef one time and it stuck.

Eric smiled as he left the office.

*

Suzanne stuck her head in Kate's office just as they were sitting down to eat their sandwiches.

"Brian and Abby have checked in. All went well and seems to be running okay."

"Good. Now to see if all stays quiet," Eric said.

*

"Sweetie, I'm going out hunting tonight." Eric said as they were washing up the supper dishes.

"Alright, I sort of figured that you might. This thing has really stressed you out hasn't it?"

"Yes. It is just way too close to stuff that I use to do. And I know that our little trip North a few months ago was not probably the end of the hunt for me."

"Oh? Why?"

"Kate, I know we haven't talked much about what I use to do, but you probably don't want to know it all. Just understand that I did things that weren't nice. Moreover, they were things that only I could do."

Kate looked at him, wondering if she really did want to know, or was it just morbid curiosity. "Well, sometimes it might be something to talk about. It would certainly help me understand your moods sometimes. Or, your nightmares."

"I guess you're right. Just not now."

"That's fine. Have a good hunt." She dropped the subject.

*

Kate lay on the bed, her heart beating like a bird in a cage, her hand over her chest and wondering what on earth had just happened. She reached for Eric, but he wasn't back from hunting. That simple movement had cramped her arms up as well as her back. What on earth was going on? Kate worked on controlling her breath when coughs wracked her body.

When the coughing finally stopped, she realized that her heart had stopped fluttering. Her body still hurt, like she had one massive cramp. Reaching for her water bottle, she tried to figure out what was wrong.

She reached out and touched the energy she knew as Eric. He was close, but not close enough. The rest of the house was asleep, so she hadn't woken them up with coughing. Stretching slowly, she felt almost as if her legs weren't her own. Neither was one hand. They felt oddly asleep and yet not. Rolling her shoulders, the left one popped loudly. Stretching again, the right one popped. Hmm...

Laying back down, she worked on relaxing and working muscles that were sore for no reason she could figure out. She was drifting off to sleep while thinking of questions to ask Eric.

*

"Hey sleepy head. Will you let me in the bed?" Eric asked in the darkness of the room.

"Oh.... Eric.... you're back." Kate was sleepy.

"Yes sweetie. And now I'm cold. Let me in the bed, and we can talk."

"Oooohka," she yawned. "I have a few questions to ask you."

"Yes?" They snuggled close together under the covers.

Kate then described the symptoms she had earlier in the evening. Eric listened and then cuddled her and spoke quietly in her ear. "You know how we discussed that awakening shifting talent?"

"Yes, but I have to admit that part of me keeps thinking you are just joking. Or, pacifying me.

"No Sweetie. I'm not. In fact, I'm a bit concerned on just how much you have moved towards shifting."

"Why?"

"Well, partially because I don't know where it will lead. Just how far will that wolf in your soul want to show itself? Will you go furry? Will you just have very wolfy attributes? Will I have to share my dog biscuits?"

This last bit made Kate start to giggle. "Oh you! I told you you didn't have to share with Luna and Gretchen!"

"Yeah, but how do I explain to them that I get the fancy snacks? They don't understand, so I share."

Kate just shook her head. "There are days when you are just too weird. Good thing I love you. Especially on the days when you track mud and blood across my hardwood floors."

"Hey! I haven't done that in... in.... weeks! And besides, it was snowing and cold."

It was Kate's turn to smile. "You are so silly!" She coughed about then and winced.

Eric pulled back and started checking out Kate's chest and sternum.

"What kind of cheap feel are you after Eric? That hurts."

"I'm checking something out. Hold still," he said as his fingers moved between her breasts. He moved his hands down a bit and pushed.

"Ouch!" Kate moved away from his hands."That hurt!"

"Umm, Kate, did it feel like your chest wall was folding in half?"

Kate stopped a moment and though. "You know, I dreamed, or at least I thought I dreamed that I shifted. That I was curled up on the bed, waiting for you."

"Kate, I don't think you dreamed. I think you shifted. Not all the way, but enough for your chest to fold in half. That's why your sternum hurts. It's why your heart felt the way it did."

"Oh," Kate said with understanding dawning. "Oh... my... but what if the children had come in?"

"They would have just thought you were that other dog that shows up here from time to time. The one they know plays with Gretchen."

Kate shook her head and tried to make sense of what Eric was saying. There were times she had no trouble believing him. Other days, she wondered just how much of it was a grand game of make believe. If she hadn't seen him shift, she'd still be under the impression that he was more than just a little eccentric. "Do you have any idea of how odd this all sounds? Or even to experience?"

"Yes. Do you know how nice it is to actually have someone to talk to this about?"

"Hadn't thought of it that way Eric. It's just that some days it is a bit hard to believe."

"I understand. There are days I have trouble with it myself."

"That I can believe. Did you ever slip? Let someone see that shouldn't have?"

Eric nodded. "It happened once when I was working for that 'agency'. I came home from the field and fell asleep at a friend's house. His kids called me Uncle Wolfie after that."

"Uncle Wolfie? What?"

"I fell asleep and shifted. When I woke up two days later, I panicked. The wife assured me that she'd keep my secret. I'd played with the kids and everything. Asked me if I wanted a steak or dog food when I woke. I must have blushed eight shades of red. She said that no one would believe the two boys if they said that their daddy's Sargent was a wolf. That kids can say the absolute truth with no one believing them simply because they are kids."

"That's for sure. Mine would have ratted me out years ago if anyone had just believed them when they said mommy's a witch."

Eric smiled at that. He loved the fact that Kate was pagan and understood so much. He bent his head to hers and kissed her forehead. "We'd best get to sleep. You'll be sore in the morning."

"Sore? Oh, because I started to shift."

"Yes, now time to sleep."

"But, I'm wide awake now."

"Not for long. Just relax." Eric said, his voice going soft. He started working the sleep energy he had on Peaches so many months ago.

"Wha....t?" Kate yawned.

"Go to sleep Kate," he said softly. "Now."

"Bu..." Kate tried to protest, but was asleep before she could finish the word. Eric smiled in the dark, pleased with himself that he could put Kate to sleep. He curled up around her and was soon asleep himself.

*

Kate woke first, the alarm just beginning to beep. She reached out an arm, and half way to the clock, she stopped. The ache in her shoulders was enough to take her breath away. She struggled for a moment and then finally shut off the noise. "Oh, she moaned as she laid back down. "Sweetie, is there any aspirin on the nightstand over there?" she asked pointing at Eric's side of the bed.

"Of course. Just a second and I'll get it for you." Eric untangled himself from the covers and Kate to find the small bottle of extra strength pain reliever. He opened the bottle and handed her two caplets. "Now you know why I keep this stuff nearby."

Kate nodded as she swallowed the aspirin with a gulp of water from her water bottle. "I feel like I've run for miles and then fallen asleep in a heap."

"In some ways, you did. Shifting isn't easy. In some ways, I think it is harder on those that only go part way into animal form. Those of us who shift all the way get the benefits of the animal physiology. We heal faster and move better. However, there is a price to pay when we go back to human form." He stretched. Joints popped and muscles seemed to scream as he did so.

Kate put her water bottle down and tentatively stretched. Her hips and shoulder blades popped. Even her knuckles on her hands seemed stiff. "Oh Eric, no wonder some of them never come back. If this ache is just the peripheral pain, what does this do to someone who doesn't expect it or can't cope?"

"They either die or don't shift back," he said rather sadly.

"I understand so much more than I did before." She stood gingerly on the balls of her feet. Eric watched her move across the room, and when he saw how she was walking, he started to smile.

"What are you smiling at?"

"You."

"What about me?"

Eric looked at her feet again, aware that she was not conscious of how she was standing. "Oh, just looking at your feet," he said softly.

Kate looked down quickly. She saw that she was standing on the balls of her feet just like she'd seen Eric do so many times after he'd come back from hunting. With a giggle bursting from her lips, she dropped to her heels. "Oh Eric..."

They both started to laugh.

*

Later in the shower, Kate wiped the soap out of her eyes and turned to Eric. "Have you discussed any of this with Zach? The changing and the discomfort and such?"

"Yes. So far, the only real symptoms he's had are hunger or lack thereof, and the urge to bite Anne."

"Bite?" Kate said with a slightly puzzled look on her face. Then it dawned on her, and she blushed. "Oh. Bite. I forgot he mentioned that."

"Too much information dear?"

"No, It's just that I hadn't thought about that. We've been biting and nibbling each other for months."

"Yes, and so have those two. However, he isn't having the aches. What he is experiencing is the extra muscles. That ability to run and jump faster. Something you might find happening too."

"Me? Run? You must be joking! I haven't run except in dire emergency since I grew breasts. There isn't a sports bra made that holds me well enough."

Eric looked down at her breasts which he'd gently soaped while they were talking. "Ah, I could see where that might be the case. Most of my family are rather flat chested."

"I could see where that might be an advantage. However, I like my breasts."

"So do I my dear. So do I." He helped her rinse off.

*

Kate wasn't late to work, which amazed her. They never made it to the point of drying off. Unless of course they counted rolling on the sheets drying off. Their play necessitated another shower and Kate had blasted through the second one so fast that Eric was still soaping up as she stepped out. She had dropped Eric off at the hospital and raced back into town to arrive just as Suzanne and a young woman were opening the front doors.

"Good morning Suzanne!"

"Good morning to you Kate. You look like you had a fine start to the day."

Kate went red in the face. "Yeah, I did. How are you?"

"I'm okay. Slept well, had breakfast, and I made it to work. This is Abby. She had some stuff to bring us and wanted to meet you."

Jaisen
Jaisen
691 Followers