Something about Kate

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"God you can cook," Freddie said, having bolted his food and looking wistfully at the empty serving dish.

"Fill the bowl Freddie, there's half left in the pan."

"Omigod," groaned Freddie and for a moment appeared to contemplate leaping the table in his haste to get across to the kitchen.

They sat at the table bringing Kate into the conversation as she worked on desert behind the counter of the open kitchen. She then placed three plates on the counter and said, "Come and get it boys."

They came across and stared in wonder at the poached pear quarters drizzled in melted chocolate sitting on an artistically spread out bed of raspberry coulis atop ready-made meringues with a big dob of thick cream to the side.

"Omigod," Freddie and Nigel cried almost in unison while Max grinned at Kate proudly.

"Kate you are the best cook we've ever had in this apartment," fat Freddie said, patting his belly. "And that is an absolute accolade because my mom has been here twice and cooked for us and she's a great cook as you can see by my size.

As soon as the dishes were cleared away, Freddie and Nigel kissed Kate and complimented her and they left, saying to Max they would stay out till 11:00.

"I thought they would have stayed," Max said. "I thought they couldn't get enough of you."

"Max, they have abandoned ship for the next two hours to allow you to have your way with me."

Max shuffled his feet but finally said, "You mean to have sex?"

And he was tentative above sex as well, and lasted less than five minutes and apologized for not being successful in becoming erect again. What only after one bottle of beer and two wines spread over three hours?

Poor Max.

That was the end of him.

Three other guys found their way into Kate's life but none measured up although she didn't believe she set particularly high standards. Why was it she attracted duds? That was one question for which she had no answer.

* * *

The morning after Shelley told Tom, "She's ready", Tom called Rodney Hagen.

"Good morning Senator."

"Call me Tom. You know I'm a close friend of your parents and watched you grow up."

"Indeed Tom, you do go a long way back in my life."

"I'd like to meet you later today Rodney."

"I'm free after Question Time that ends at 3:30."

"Great. I'll be in the Senate Library. We can have coffee there."

The lean, good-looking parliamentarian was led across to Tom who stood and they shook hands and slapped each other's back.

"Well young man, is your life back on even keel?"

"Yes I believe so."

"Apart from the women?"

"Ah yes Tom, they just keep on a-coming but none can take Sally's place."

"Perhaps this doesn't appear to ring true Rodney but I'm long enough in the tooth to know that it will happen to you one day, as it's happened to others over centuries. Bang she will be there to knock you over."

Rodney just smiled.

"Well to business," Tom said, pouring the coffee as that sat in the small alcove that gave them privacy. I'll announce at the end of proceedings in the Senate tomorrow that I'm not seeking re-election next year."

"Gee Tom, that's totally unexpected."

"Yes and no I would think. The time has come for me to give my wife the type of retirement life she desires... travel, meeting up with old friends, spending more time on the farm she inherited from her parents. I've had a good run and have no wish to go for the presidency."

"Well I wish you well."

"Son would you like to compete for the vacancy my retirement will create?"

"Me, I'm a novice politically and have not held a senior position in government."

"True and everyone will know that. But you have already established a good track record and you are into your third term in the Lower House. The minimum time to qualify for the Senate is two terms. So why not have a crack?"

"As a new boy I'd be swamped by senior colleagues with similar aspirations. Well unless... oh god, is this what this meeting is about?"

"You are thinking unless you receive my endorsement? And yes you'd have it. I've considered every possible candidate Rodney and there is good talent available but in my opinion none appear significantly superior to you. In experience they have it over you and in seniority too, but in intellect and political nous and in the desire to take our beloved country forward, none of them can touch you. You are my man Rodney. You'll be aware I'm not in the habit of picking losers."

"God, I'll have to think about this Tom."

"You do that Rodney. Take your time. The longer people wait for my endorsement the greater its impact. My only condition of my endorsement is you appoint a female from my office as your media manager."

"What that young woman that people are talking about as having a prodigious memory?"

"Yes and with her phenomenal recall capacity and being at your side will protect you from those curly questions designed to trip you or when your own memory, under pressure, fails you momentarily."

"She's only a babe, twenty-three I think she is."

"And so says one young man with still much to learn."

"That's very rude Tom."

They grinned.

"Well I'd have no objection accepting her and I believe you have been preparing her for the role, you crafty devil."

"Ah good political nous I credited you with, did I not?"

"Yes."

"Just one more thing. Don't be surprised if she becomes your wife."

"What?"

"Tell me accurately Rodney. What was it about what I just said you didn't understand?"

Rodney threw his hands up and said, "This has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous but I'm more than grateful to you wily toad. You are a Liberal and want a Liberal to replace you. Arrange a meeting Tom and please don't tell her she must impress me."

"I won't have to buddy. That's already a fait accompli."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

CHAPTER 3

Kate Childs went on to Pier 21 with a slight headache after drinking cheap wine the previous night with another loser. It was Saturday morning and she should be out trawling the malls. Tom had wanted her to attend this meeting on his behalf.

On a boat for goodness sake.

She looked along the pier for something named Lady Danielle. What a pretentious name for a boat.

She looked and they had names that range from Fish-a-Plenty to Blue Horizon.

Damn it had gone without her.

A guy was coming along carrying three fishing rods and a sack that probably contained bait and beer.

"Please sir I've arrived late and was supposed to board the Lady Danielle but I think she's sailed. Can I leave a message where she anchors up?"

"You mean docks."

"Do I?"

"The Gin Palace at the end of this pier of Lady Danielle."

"God," Kate gawked. "It's a ship."

"It's an 80-footer but there are a couple of larger ones that berth here."

"Thank you sir, and good fishing."

"Lady you are too good mannered to be associating with boating people."

She smiled and grabbing the brim of her sunhat ran to the end of the pier.

"Are you Kate Childs, the late Kate Childs?"

Kate said fearlessly to the guy dressed in white and wearing a captain's hat, "Yes sir. Perhaps your watch is a little fast?"

He grinned and told her to board.

"How do I do that sir?"

"You climb up that gangway and then it will be hauled in and stowed."

"How can you do that? I believe stowed means to be put away out of sight."

"Please board. The gangway telescopes small enough to fold away in its locker that forms part of the transom structure I'm resting against."

"Oh my goodness. Someone with nous designed this ship," Kate said, darting up the gangway.

"It's classed as a boat. Ships are much bigger."

"Is it necessary to become that pedantic?"

"Yes if you don't wish to be scoffed at by seafarers."

"Oh I appreciate being educated. Is this boat named after your mother?"

"As a matter of fact it was. I had her built ten years ago on my mother's death. She left me a pile of money."

"Yes it would think pile is an adapt description."

The captain laughed and put out his hand.

"I'm pleased to meet you Kate. I'm Philip."

She looked at him quizzically.

"Are you Rodney Hagen's father?"

"What makes you think that?"

"The intrigue of me being sent to a meeting on a boat on Pier 21 and Senator Tom Richards refusing to tell me what was the purpose of the meeting and who should I ask for."

"Yes well Tom loves intrigue and yes I'm Philip Hagen and Tom and his wife Hope are aboard along with my wife..."

"Jade."

"My wife Jade and my son Rodney and his young sister Phyllis."

Philip spoke into a hand-held radio.

"Cast off when you're ready and move out Magee."

Kate said as Tom pocketed the radio, "Do you call people who work for you by their surnames?"

"Our professional skipper is called Magee O'Carroll."

"Oooh I say. You must think I'm an idiot?"

"Not you are out of your environment and your tongue is racing ahead of your brain just a little. You appear to be very interesting and have been attempting to cover up being late."

"Oh god and you will relate all of this to the others."

"So you'd like me to shut my mouth about this?"

"No have your fun at my expense. I deserve it and have no right to try to muzzle you."

"How old are you?"

"You already know that and probably said I was much too young for the position."

"Hmnm."

"Oooh you can't make up your mind about me. That's promising and you've decided not to relate my series of goofs. Omigod, despite your misgivings I've made it to first base with you."

"Are you raving desperately attempting to hit the right cords with me or do you really believe what you are saying?"

"You now think I'm cute and interesting Philip if I may call you Philip. That's all I need to say. Shouldn't we be getting on with it? The engines are about to rumble."

The twin diesels rumbled.

"How on earth did you know that?"

"I heard a bell ring in the bowels of the boat so assumed the skipper was signaling Jeff or whatever the name of the crewman to start them up."

"You're amazing."

"And you are so nice. God Mrs Hagen must have a job keeping the marauders at bay."

"Um that's a sensitive issue Kate."

"I know. I didn't come down in the last shower. Feel confident about me Philip. Do we blow a hooter when we move off?"

Philip radioed to the skipper.

"Magee our special guest has seen the Titanic movie or something like that. She'd like to hear a couple of blasts of the siren as we move off."

Philip motioned to enter the saloon and was following her when she jumped six inches when the siren blasted the first time.

"God I almost wet myself."

Philip was unable to control his laughter.

People in the huge saloon were gathered at a round table talking and had been served champagne.

"Our special guest Miss Childs has arrived," Philip announced in a deep voice and the men stood.

Kate had observed Rodney Hagen three times from the visitors' gallery in the House so knew what he looked like in the flesh. His face was rather nice in fact and he was beautifully lean, the stuff heroes were cast as.

"I apologize for lateness everyone. I'm afraid it's an occasional bad habit of mine. Still you could have sailed without me."

"You are the purpose of this gathering Miss Childs, for us to socialize with you?"

"Have you accepted my apology Mrs Childs?" Kate asked the tired-faced genuine blonde. "Omigod Jade, you have dazzling green eyes."

"Lens implants darling and yes your apology is accepted and thank you for being so polite."

"This is a very beautiful boat, so luxurious. I have to say that because I'm practically dumbfounded that anything on water other than a cruise ship could be so beautiful."

"Thank you darling, this is my daughter Tessa who is a year older than you with the same degree."

"Hi Tess... ooops, sorry, Tessa."

"Everyone but mom calls me Tess and so shall you."

"Thank you and how's Odine?"

"You know I ride?"

"Well I suppose you still do. I recall seeing you on Odine bending over to receive a gold medal at Mansfield last year. I think the photo was in the October issue of 'My Women.'

"I think it was. So when did you read that caption?"

"In the magazine last October."

"Omigod you do have fabulous memory recall."

"Perhaps I do, actually I know I do, but I really wasn't attempting to show off. I just wished to connect with you and that imagine jumped into my mind."

Mrs Childs said, "And this is my son Rodney."

"Hi Rodney, I guess you should kiss me because I shall be working for you."

He smiled and kissed her and said that was a bit presumptuous because he'd yet to make up his mind."

"Forgive me for saying this Rodney but I had a dream a few nights ago where you were you were at a hostile press conference attempting to defend yourself with me at your side. Your opponent Linda Ross had accused you of being the laziest parliamentarian in the House."

"But that's absurd. Linda and I are good friends and she has no political ambition."

"Believe what you wish Rodney. I've learned to believe in my dreams."

"Well I can see you too will have difficulty getting along quietly," Jade smiled. "And this is my dear friend Hope."

"Hi Mrs Richards. It's so lovely to meet you at last."

"And I am glad to meet you. Tom began bringing homes flowers once a fortnight since he's met you and says what you told him to explain he wishes to express his love with flowers."

"It's just a small thing that busy men tend to forget."

"How right you are. Some of the wives of Senators I associate with have been talking about you and I guess I have too."

"I'm sure I've done nothing wrong."

"It's not that dear. It's just that no one so young has ever come on to staff within parliament and made such an impact. You haven't achieved any feats; it's just that you appear to have significant impact on anyone who bothers to give you a few minutes of their time."

"Oh god, what an epitaph: 'She talked, they listened and were duly impressed.' May I ask Mrs Richards do you believe I'll work for Rodney?"

"Yes."

"And why is that?"

"Because Tom believes in you and believes you will and that's sufficient for me."

Jade said, "All this is putting undue influence on Rodney. We believe he should hire a seasoned communications manager. I think it's strange that no one has announced they will stand for election to Tom's seat since he announced his retirement last Friday."

"There will be only two contenders Jade."

"Kate if I may say so, you are not old or experienced enough to know how politics work around here. There will be a scrap between five or six parliamentarians to become one of the two candidates for the election run-off to be chosen for the seat by the sitting Senators."

Kate said nothing and at last was given champagne. She was thirsty and had listened to enough chat. The others declined a second drink but Kate said yes please and she saw Rodney grinning. Well it was beautiful French champagne.

They were seated having lunch when Hope sitting opposite Kate called, "Wakey, wakey Kate."

Kate who was sitting upright and very still made no response.

"Leave her," said the hostess. "Kate has had three glasses of champagne and obviously can't take strong drink.

Kate stirred and said she'd like a red wine.

"I suggest you check your phone messages Rodney."

"Why?"

"This has never happened to me before. I just appeared to lapse into a trance, slowly thank goodness as it would be an awful thing to happen if I was driving and it came on quickly."

"The only thing that happened quickly was the manner in which you drank that champagne."

"I apologize for my lack of social grace Jade. But the champagne was the best I've ever tasted."

"Oh thank you darling," Jade said. "Do as you Kate says Rodders. She may just have had one of her dreams."

Rodney left the table and stood checking for messages and cried, "Omigod."

"What?" called his mother.

"Ninety minutes ago Linda Ross called a media news conference to make a special announcement. A later message says she's decided to join the race for Tom Richards' seat in the Senate."

"Omigod," Jade said, placing her hand on Kate's arm and saying, "I'm sorry dear. Oh god Philip, we must mobilize."

"Oh don't panic guys. Jade you call TV2, identify yourself to the news editor and say Linda Ross and anyone else will be wasting their time contesting the seat because it's ordained your son will win the seat. You'll be asked who has ordained it will happen and you say Senator Tom Richards."

"Is that okay Tom?"

"Yes Jade. Just do what Kate says. Kate sit alongside Jade as she makes the call. And you've made a good call to suggest TV2 Kate. It's the only TV station likely to break its program with Jade's statement as a newsflash. Let the fight to win begin."

"Philip pen and paper please," Kate said. "I'll write down what Jade should say. Rodney turn your phone on and when someone from TV2 calls you just say, "Yes I confirm what my mother has let out of the bag and at this stage that's all you wish to say. You must say what my mother has let out of the bag otherwise people will think your mother tells you what to do and that's not a good look for a politician."

"I really don't know if I should do this Kate. It's so unusual."

"Good at least you understand that. This is strategy Rodney to make you the front-runner."

Jade made her statement perfectly after being warned it would be recorded and within two minutes Rodney's phone rang and he made his statement and when asked would he make his proposed candidature a formal announcement on the News at 6:00 he looked at Kate instead of his mother and agreed to do that.

Kate said, "Rodney please call the Senate Admin Office and formerly deliver your intention to stand for selection right now. You must not miff the administrators if you wish to increase your popularity."

He spoke to the Chief Administrator who congratulated him and welcomed being consulted so early.

Tom said it was a month before the closing of nominations of candidacy with the election to follow two days later. "You have a month to play your campaign and deal with potshots from Linda. Will you hire Kate?"

"Hell yes, you are on my election team as from today Kate. Resign from Tom's employment Monday."

Jade hugged Kate and apologized for not being a believer.

"Jade that's fine. I sometimes had difficulty in believing what I can come up with myself."

Quite a party got underway and when the boat docked, Jade and Hope had to be supported by their husbands when walking down the pier to their vehicles. Both men believed they were fit enough to drive and checked out satisfactory in the alcohol breath analyzer installed in Tom's SUV.

When the skipper and his assistant left, leaving it to Rodney to set the alarm and lock up, he continued finding out about Kate and informing her of some of the personal things about himself.

He later delivered Kate home and went in to meet her parents. He'd not laid a finger on her apart to kiss her goodbye but Kate was relaxed around that. She didn't have to dream that soon he'd be banging her with gusto to know it would happen. She had a good feeling about him.

That night Kate dreamed she was at Rodney's election headquarters joining in the wake with other supporters at his rather substantial defeat. They'd fought hard but at the end of the day the parliamentarians went for his female rival who had a proven track record of seven more years in parliamentary service than Rodney and was currently Minister of Social Services.

Weeks later that dream came true. Looking tired but accepting defeat graciously when the vote of Senators was announced, Rodney came from the Senate's visitor's viewing area and found Kate waiting for him. He kissed Kate and said, "Marry me" and she hugged him as hard as she could and said, "No not yet but let's live together for a while. You are still dealing with your ghost. I won't marry you until you let go."