Stacked Deck Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Through the large skylight, the moon cast a crimson pallor as the eclipse neared completion. A steady column of dark light thundered down into the center of the pentagram and the old vampire moaned in ecstasy as he raised his face to the sky. The writhing captives ceased the screams as they turned to ash. The lines of Dimitri's face began to tighten. His hair thickened and turned black as a ravens' wings as it cascaded over his shoulders.

"After all these centuries..." he whispered as he lowered his face, eyes closed tightly. "At last...it's all mine again." His eyes snapped open, menacingly soulless black orbs.

Tom lurched forward and charged the vampire, swinging the sword back as he twisted in the air ready to take Chernovich's head. Dimitri thrust out his clawed hand and Tom was cast aside like a child's plaything, slamming hard against the concrete floor. He shook it off and pulled himself back to his feet. His face was a mask of pure hatred and rage.

"You impudent whelp!" Dimitri hissed. "You think you can stop me? You may be strong, but I'll devour your soul as well!" He reached into his robe and withdrew the small golden box containing the Tarot cards. He licked his lips as he glared at the young sorcerer, pulling both hands to the center of his chest.

Again, Tom lunged and penetrated the sacred circle, sword sweeping in an upward arc. Chernovich lashed out his arms and a burst of psionic energy flew from his hands. Tom was thrown back into a stack of crates, splintering them into shards. The sword went skidding off under a set of steel shelves. Tom gasped for breath and coughed. Reaching up he wiped the blood from his lips and flicked his hand, sending a spray of red to the floor.

"All right... you son of a bitch," Tom sputtered as he slowly pulled himself to his feet. "You wanna play rough? I can do rough!" He clasped his hands together and moved his lips as he chanted softly, summoning a bright blue ball of energy. As he pulled his fingers apart it grew larger and larger. In a wide side sweep he pitched the orb of light and caught Dimitri in the abdomen, sending him stumbling backward, out of the circle. Tom took another step forward and sent out a barrage of Psi-bolts, which sent the vampire staggering back further and further, pinning him against the wall.

Dimitri doubled over and held himself protectively as Tom steadily moved toward him. Tom stopped in dismay as Dimitri began to glow. The vampire's whimpers turned into a slow triumphant laughter.

"Is that all you've got?" Dimitri hissed as he rose to his full height once more. "It seems I sorely overestimated your potential... you pathetic...inconsequential...meat sack."

Tom took a step back as every alarm in his shielding network went off, making his ears ring and his head reel. He was suddenly paralyzed. Horror dripped down his spine as he came to the realization that he was about to take his last breath. He closed his eyes and swallowed hard, readying himself to accept his fate. Dimitri spread his lanky arms wide and began chanting. He clapped his hands together and sent a shockwave of psionic energy at the young man before him.

Time drew to a crawl. Tears streamed slowly down Tom's face as his short life flashed before his eyes. This was it, all the years of training and this was to be his fate. His first big confrontation and he was to die for it without making the slightest bit of difference.

"You can do it Tommy," his mother smiled gently at him. "It's easy...I trust in you. You will be the greatest of all Guardians."

The large bolt hit him like a freight train. Tom spun through the air with the impact, absorbing the Psi-bolt into himself and rooted his feet while taking aim with deadly accuracy. The wooden planks splintered and chunks of concrete exploded in a thunderous wake as Tom released the bolt back tenfold straight into his attackers chest. The walls of the warehouse bowed and blew out as Dimitri Chernovich was struck with the force of a concussion bomb.

The deck of Tarot cards scattered into the wind and fluttered to the floor of the warehouse. Tom stepped over to his tattered adversary and bent down. He reached aside and took a card in hand. The Death card. He charged it with a summoning spell and shoved it into the man's mouth. Then he rose to his feet and picked his way through the rubble, back out into the embracing arms of the night. He could hear the tortured screams as the Night Flyer approached and devoured the villain from the inside out.

Tom leaned against the cool aluminum wall of a nearby warehouse. He gripped his midsection in agony and crumpled to the ground. Sirens came screaming around the corner and the red and blue lights hurt his eyes as six patrol cars came skidding into the lot. He rested his head on his knees and closed his eyes as the darkness took him in her gentle arms and lulled him to sleep.

Tom stepped out into the looming twilight. He tilted his head back and took a deep breath. Finally, fresh air at last. He stretched noisily, and waited for the feeling to return to his legs. A shrill whistle cut through the shadows and he turned with furrowed brow. His eyes narrowing as he reached out with his senses and found a cluster of odd sensations just off to the right.

There, in the shadows was Jamus, leaning against beat up old Ford Bronco II. Perched lazily atop the roof with a broad smile was Mouse. Tom took the steps slowly and limped his way through the parking lot, hands stuffed casually into his pockets, his grin growing larger with each step.

"So, I hear they didn't spank you with the damage bill after all, since it was a derelict warehouse," Jamus said with a sheepish grin. Tom just nodded.

"Wow, Tommy. You look like shit," Mouse said teasingly as she slid down off the truck and wrapped her arms around him, taking him in a strong embrace. She kissed him on the cheek and then took a step back and waved her hand in front of her nose. "And, you need a shower."

Jamus slipped around to the driver's side of the truck. There was a loud pop and a rush of air. He quickly came back into view while folding the knife and shoved it in his back pocket with a smug grin. He offered his elbow, and Mouse, stepping between both men took them by the arms and wandered on into the night. With a curious look, Tom glanced over his shoulder and saw the vanity plate on the Bronco. "ToppKopp" it proclaimed.

"Has to be Stelinski's truck," he chuckled.

"So, Tom, I was thinking... How would you like to join DarkWalk permanently?" Jamus asked with a tired smile.

"First things first. I need a drink," he said flatly.

The three of them roamed off into the sunset arm in arm.

© Jay Phantym 2007

12