Staring at the Sun Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
janiexx
janiexx
79 Followers

My husband glanced at his watch and stood up. "Time for dinner. I booked a table for 8pm."

I drained my glass and followed him across the sunlit square to the hotel entrance. Inside I could hear sounds of laughter and music and smiled. "Someone's having fun""

Richard grunted and I felt my heart sink. The good mood seemed to have gone and I felt a knot of fear begin to grow in my stomach. Was it because of the business that my husband always seemed so tense and irritable lately?

* The atmosphere in the imposing dining room was awkward. Despite the fact it was early summer, the hotel was quiet and there were only two other couples eating. The wedding guests seemed to be in another wing of the hotel and I envied them the fun they were having. The silence weighed heavily on us and I wished fervently that the children were here to provide a distraction. Ironically, I thought back to all the times we'd been out to eat and the children had been naughty or disruptive. I'd wished then for peace and quiet to enjoy the meal, but now I longed for their reassuring presence and their endless chatter.

Guiding the conversation onto safer topics, I asked Richard about his plans for the next day.

"How much wine do you want to take home?"

"Your father's asked for two cases of the Nuits St Georges."

"OK." I tried to forget about the GP's warnings of high blood pressure, not wishing to further aggravate my husband. "Don't forget I want to buy some Loire white as well."

We'd decided to drive to the Loire after Burgundy and indulge in one of my favourite wines and the village of the same name. We had drunk Vouvray at our wedding and it was a special wine for both of us.

Richard sighed. "We need to be careful. We haven't a lot of room in the car."

I stopped looking at the menu and gazed at the irritated face of my husband. "Look, Richard, let's get whatever's bothering you out into the open. You were so happy earlier."

He ignored me and I could feel the anger and frustration growing inside me. "Perhaps I should call my father and ask what the hell's going on then?"

I said it quietly but Richard knew this time I was serious. He looked up and his face was set and angry. "Now's not the time, Louise, OK? We'll talk about it tomorrow when I don't feel as if every word I utter is being listened to by strangers."

I looked around the silent room and had to agree with him. A heavy cloud of unhappiness seemed to hover around us and our body language must have showed how tense we both were.

"OK. Let's just forget it now and talk tomorrow." I bit my lip and fought down the urge to ask the questions that were whirling around in my head. Richard, when cornered, could turn sarcastic and the last thing I wanted was a heated argument with an avid audience.

We ate the beautifully prepared food and tried to make conversation, but it was useless. Each mouthful I took felt like sawdust and the wine from the nearby chateau could have been vinegar. I felt like an outsider in my own marriage, adrift on a sea of worry and despair and suddenly everything in my life that was secure seemed to be shifting.

And what further worry would tomorrow bring?

janiexx
janiexx
79 Followers
12
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
4 Comments
jqhackjqhackalmost 18 years ago
Great Writing

I love janiexx's writing. Her style seems so unforced, making it very easy to read. Her characters all seem to have real emotions and thoughts allowing the reader to relate and feel where they are coming from. I can't wait for more of Louise's story to be told

LightpenLightpenalmost 18 years ago
So real...

... it reads more like an autobiography than a work of fiction. Louise is quite the heroine, putting up with the secretive and selfish Richard. And she still loves him...

PEATBOGPEATBOGalmost 18 years ago
Things are not going well for them!!!

Something is definitely wrong with Richard! Are there problems with the family business or with his personal relationships with Louise (or other)? He definitely seems to be planning on swapping with Jake and, the way things are going, Louise would probably welcome some 'warm loving attention'. However one bright spot, their obvious mutual love for their children might yet save their marriage, but that appears to be a long shot! Looking forward to more of your excellent writing. Pete.

john-the-authorjohn-the-authoralmost 18 years ago
Gawd, this is so recognizable!

I ~really~ recognize the kind of non-communication you're talking about from a couple of trips with my ex-GF. Sadly, we didn't get to see the kind of bridesmaid you'd described, but there were occasional thrills in kind. :)

They're very real, completely believable characters.

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Ch. 1, The First 48 What happens when he finds out?in Loving Wives
Throwing Strikes Throwing strikes in the game of life.in Loving Wives
Full Circle A farmer finds what he thought he’d lost.in Romance
Rags to Rches and Back Again A poor man prospers, loses and finds love.in Romance
Thrice Rescued She vanished from his life. Can he find love again?in Loving Wives
More Stories