Stolen Magic Bk. 01 Taken Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Age had nothing to do with the dissimilarities between the brothers. Slater was hardened by battle, but it was nothing compared to the dark, unyielding essence that hovered around the king. And this was the king. Gabriella knew it without being told. Just as she knew, without being told, that she had every reason to be very, very afraid.

The man reached out, the sleeve of his heavy crimson robe sliding up his arm, revealing a forearm even bigger than Slater's. "No need to fear little one. I won't harm you."

Gabriella shied away, biting her lip and clenching the sheets to her neck. "What am I doing here?"

The king rested his hands on the bed, leaned forward and smirked. "Oh you aren't here my dear. Not yet." A chain snaked across the bed. The man took hold of the end closest to him, wrapping it around his fist in a lazy motion. "But soon..."

Gabriella's hands went to her throat. The chain was attached to a collar on her neck. The man tugged until she was on her knees, naked before him. Fingers wrenching at the collar Gabriella tried to free herself.

The effort made the king laugh. "Very soon Gabriella. Enjoy your freedom, while it lasts."

Holding tight to the chain the man kissed her. Gabriella fought against the painful pressure. He released the chain and she fell back. Fell and kept falling. Screaming she flailed her arms about, desperate to find an anchor to keep her from dropping into the gapping abyss that was suddenly behind her.

The sense of dropping down stopped. Arms enveloped her, a familiar scent. Gabriella sobbed and leaned into it. "Daddy...daddy I had a horrible..."

A heavy sigh brushed light tendrils from her face as he leaned down, pressing a soft kiss on her brow. "It's me Gabriella. Slater."

Gabriella blinked the remnants of sleep away. Sliding back she tilted her head, features blank as she studied Slater. "How did you get me here Slater?"

Slater frowned, her abrupt question catching him off guard. "Through the veil."

Gabriella frowned and made a motion with her hand, as though waving his answer away. "Yes I've heard all that. But what does it mean? You took me in front of my entire family. How did you do that without them seeing...?" she paused, swallowed and finally voiced the question that she'd dreaded thinking on. That she'd refused to. "They aren't dead...are they?"

Shaking his head Slater took her hands in his. "No. They didn't see. They think you're off somewhere, somewhere their mind could make sense of. It's how we do it whenever we take Unawakened. Their families don't worry. Whenever they think on you they know you are well, that you are somewhere safe. They can't question it."

What was intended as reassurance was lost on Gabriella. The idea of the minds of her family being toyed with sent a cold chill right through her. "So you stole me away and made them forget me."

Brow furrowed Slater shook his head again. "Not forget you. Only find peace in your absence." Cupping her cheek in his big hand he made her face him. "Would you rather they worry?"

"No." The answer was automatic. Still, Gabriella was troubled. "But what gives you the right...?"

Slater stood and turned away. He motioned to a gown draped over the foot of the bed. "You should get dressed. Now that you're feeling better we'd best be going. My brother no doubt knows what has passed and will be looking for us."

Gabriella stood, letting the blankets fall away from her and crossed her arms over her bare chest. "Slater can't you bring me home?"

Back stiff, fist clenched at his side, Slater gritted out the answer with no effort to hide his irritation. "No. I'm not blessed with that particular power." He headed out the door. "Just get dressed."

Staring at the door, the echo of it slamming still echoing through the room, Gabriella felt her eyes water. The hope she'd clung to slipped away. Slater wasn't bringing her home. Not now, and if he had his way, not ever. That much had been made very clear. Much as she loved him she couldn't make that alright. It wasn't. The only conclusion she could come to was his love for her wasn't nearly as pure as hers.

Which made her love slip across the thin barrier to hate.

* * *

They didn't speak as Slater loaded their supplies into the saddle bag. Slater sensed Gabriella's resentment but didn't know how to ease it. Not without giving her what she wanted, what his grandmother said he must. Selfless as love should be he just couldn't bring himself to let her go.

Clearing his throat Slater tried to find a way to cross the void that had eroded between them. "So I heard you did pretty well with Troy?"

Giving him a solemn look Gabriella shrugged and nodded.

Slater continued as though she'd been receptive, rather than plainly indifferent. "He's a stubborn animal, but smart..."

"Are we going?"

Gabriella's sharp tone grated at Slater. Scowling he slapped the leather flap to the saddlebag closed. Without warning he reached out, grabbed Gabriella by the waist and dropped her down hard into the saddle. Troy whined in irritation and nipped at Slater. Slater cuffed him in the muzzle and caught hold of his reigns.

"You're not riding?" Surprise had changed Gabriella's tone. It was apparent she thought she had full right to be angry, while he had none.

Slater knew she was right, but being reasonable while frustrated just wasn't possible. Letting his actions answer her question he led Troy from the stables. With satisfaction he pictured making her walk after a few miles, just to teach her a lesson. His petty thoughts were cut short when he saw his grandmother bolt from the house.

Eyes wide, coarse white hair askew, the old woman ran to them, breathless, gasping out her words. "The dream. Tell me of the dream Gabriella!"

Slater followed his grandmother's gaze up to where Gabriella was sitting stiff in the saddle. The pallor of her flesh and her wide eyes made Slater's mouth go dry. Reaching out he gave her a little shake. "You had a dream?"

With a slow nod Gabriella licked her lips and looked down at them. "A nightmare. I thought you were my father...waking me..."

Recalling her cries for her father on waking Slater cursed. He'd been sure she had simply been longing for him in her sleep. Longing was one thing, but a dream...a nightmare no less!

"What was it about?" Slater's hand gripped hard on her shoulder. Gabriella winced.

His grandmother shoved him back. "Let her speak you mindless bully."

Gabriella blinked and shook her head, biting her lips as her brows drew together in thought. "He looked just like you. In the dream I was so sure...sure it was your brother. The king."

Slater cursed. So did his grandmother, much more colorfully in fact.

Gripping to Troy's mane to keep steady when the horse stepped back in aggravation Gabriella stared at them, confused. "What?"

Slater's grandmother shoved him again. "Get on and ride!" Only when Slater nodded and mounted behind Gabriella did she answer. "He knows. Villem knows where you are. You must make haste." She looked to Slater. "Head to the border. Don't stop until you get there. He'll have a harder time tracking you so close to the southern pass."

With a curt nod Slater nudged Troy, giving the horse permission to do what he'd been wanting to since the tension had risen from discord to danger. Troy ran. Ran as though wolves were nipping at his heels.

The animal and its riders knew it was so much worse.

* * *

Please note: For all those following the story of Gabriella and Slater I want to first appologize for taking so long to get part 6 up. I did two submissions to the Halloween contest and it took up a lot of my time. I tried to make up for it by making this part longer.

As always thank you to all those who rate and comment. Although I appreciate all my readers those that take the time to tell me how they feel about the story give me that extra boost. Feedback is always appreciated.

I hope this part satisfied some of your wishes for a little more background on Slater and Gabriella. There'll be more to come. As a little teaser I'm just going to let you know that in part 7 you will finally meet the king, and it won't be just a dream...or a nightmare. Well not one either Gabriella or Slater can wake up from.

Since this will probably be put up near Halloween I'd like to wish you all happy trick or treating, or whatever naughty things you do to celebrate ;) Have fun!