Stormfeather Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sabrina nodded, recognizing more of what she saw in the other woman, seeing more of herself and she brought her mouth to Ximena's ear. "Listen," she whispered softly, "I know where you are right here. I see how you want to be a good girl. I used to be treated just like this all the time at home, so I know what you need right now, Ximena. If you were alone now, you'd probably need to touch yourself because it would make you feel a little better, even though you've always told yourself that it's wrong to feel that way and to do that."

Ximena nodded, but felt as though her voice would betray her if she used it now.

Sabrina smiled warmly and she kissed Ximena's cheek once in obvious sincerity, before she sat back down, "I think that I've spent my whole life right where you are now. The only thing that I can't understand is why in your case. You're so much more sophisticated than I am, and I can see that you have a lot of self-confidence. That's what I need to grow some of. I really wish that I could."

Ximena stared at Sabrina with more than a little uncertainty, but she nodded and said, "I wasn't treated badly when I was younger - really, I wasn't. But something happened to me that changed how I felt about everything. Since I came here, I have done my best to forget it all, and I have done just that - until now."

She smiled after a moment and said, "I came from a small place too, Sabrina. I can help you to feel a little less lost here, and I'll do that, if you wish. I don't mind."

Sabrina smiled with a little hope for the moment, "I am very glad then."

"I have never felt that so strongly before," Ximena said, still feeling a little strange, "I - I almost, ... And to feel that way because of another woman's words, ..."

"I don't think it matters much -- at least not that much to me," Sabrina said, "I think that it is the moment of forgiveness, the knowing that the other one forgives you and understands how you need release then that is really important. That is when it is the best. I have never done it from that side of it before, but I have been where you were forever. That is how I knew when I saw you squirming on your chair. I love it too, to be as you were."

"I'm still sorry," Ximena said.

That's alright," Sabrina repeated, "I don't know what to think anymore. I'm here in Santa Fe, wondering what I ought to do now. I might join you crying in another minute. I don't know anyone but Amy, and I have no money to get home, or, if I even want to go home. Amy told me that she has a job for me at her school."

Ximena looked over, "This is all my fault," she said, "a housekeeper is supposed to keep a house like this on an even keel, nice and level, no matter what happens. She's not supposed to add to the upset."

She blew her nose and sniffled, "If Amy told you that you have a job, then you have a job, Sabrina. I might not have one soon, but until that happens, I'm still the housekeeper here." She stood up and walked to the counter where she would normally be presiding over the dinner preparations by this time of the day.

"Please, pour us both a cup of coffee. The cups are over there. I'll begin to make the evening meal."

Sabrina had a cup of the beverage beside Ximena an instant later. "May I help?" she asked.

Ximena looked at her and nodded, "Why not?"

"You were traveling with Amy and her husband," she smiled, "was there anything that you can say that he liked to eat, or something that he doesn't like?"

Sabrina shrugged, "We didn't have anything special. I think that he'd be really pleased to have anything. He's really a nice man," she said, "I think Amy's very lucky."

"Sabrina," the housekeeper said softly, "If I still have my job, and even if I don't, I would like to talk with you about, ... about what happened there, later, if we could. I'm not sure that I understand it yet."

Sabrina smiled, "I'd love that, Ximena. Now I think that I can say that I've made a friend. Do you, ... do you think that you could do something like that for me? Could we trade places? I'm usually the one on the other side of it. I think that I'd like that from you. I can see that you're not mean by nature."

"I don't know if I can do that very well," Ximena said cautiously, "I've never really had anything to do with another woman before."

"It's not that," Sabrina said, looking up through her glasses a little hopefully, "It's just a little help that you give at the moment of forgiveness. I've never had that, so I had to make my own moments. I was treated badly by my brother and my sister for years. They just used me, and I had to take my little pleasures in a hidden way as I could. I think it would be wonderful to do that with you helping at the right time -- I don't think that it's very hard to do. I liked doing that for you. I'm no angel either, you know."

"I can certainly see that, Sabrina," the taller woman smiled, "Come on then," she said, "the meal won't make itself."

------------------

When the tingling had reached to the centerline of her body, Maeve opened her eyes again. She was fighting off her ticklishness, more than anything now, amazed at what she felt. But somewhere in that, she also felt the beginnings of the return of sensory information. Her back, bottom and leg weren't feeling as though they were swollen to balloon proportions anymore. They were telling her of the pressure of her weight on the bed.

She was careful not to say anything, while she tested how it felt to her mouth to form the words. To her surprise, she felt her mouth move in a way that felt very familiar to her.

"Please, "she said in a croaking voice, "Could you stop for a moment? I feel as though I ought to laugh for the ticklishness."

She turned her head and saw the man's head nod, though he didn't lift it. Amy was in her view instantly.

"How are you feeling now?" she asked.

"A lot better, " Maeve said slowly, "I just want some time to rest for a moment, and then this gentleman can continue to work his wonders on me."

"Alright," Amy smiled.

"Please," the man said without looking up, "Can you feel my hand?"

"Yes!" Maeve said, "I really can!"

"Then, can you please try to squeeze my hand, only a little, and only for a short time?"

She tried, and Maeve wanted to weep in joy. "Did I do anything?"

She could hear his smile, "Yes. Tell me when you feel that you wish me to continue. I am not finished yet. Only a little more, but tell me when you are ready."

"Who are you?" she asked, "Amy, who is this man?"

"One thing at a time, Aunt Maeve," she smiled through her own happy tears.

---------------------

They worked very well together. Dinner was going to be a little on the meat and potatoes side, but Ximena knew that it wouldn't be a problem -- and there would even be a choice of soup or broth for Maeve, depending on Amy's preference, and what she thought that her aunt could handle. Ximena would have banked on the broth, and perhaps a bit of bread with the crust cut away.

Sabrina was no stranger to a kitchen and her help was invaluable to Ximena, who struggled over what she was going to say to Amy when she saw her again. She gave some thought to preparing Amy's favorite desert, but decided against it.

"Why not? "Sabrina asked.

"Amy's never been angry with me before," Ximena said, "but I think that going that far would be like begging for my job."

"You're probably right," Sabrina nodded, "though I hope you don't lose your job. I've known her for a while, and her storms pass quicker than they come. Besides, she told me that you'd show me where everything is in this town, and that we'd probably make great friends. I think that we could both use one right now."

Ximena nodded, smiling, "An out of work housekeeper, and a girl from a small town lost in a big one, "she said, "Yes, there's a pair who could each use a friend. But I haven't been fired just yet, and you've still got a job. Let's see how this goes. When Amy comes back, I'll apologize for being an idiot and for forgetting what I should have said in the first place."

"It's all right, Ximena," Amy said from the doorway, "I was just really upset. I'm very sorry for my tantrum."

Ximena shook her head, "No, Amy. You had a right to be. I'm very sorry about everything. I'm happy for you both, believe me, and I think he's a good man, from the very little that I got to know of him. The way that I see it, you were upset over not hearing something that anyone should be able to expect from a friend. I failed you in that, and I don't know what was wrong with me. I'd hope that you can forgive me, and if you'd let me stay the night, I'll be gone sometime tomorrow. You don't have to give me a reference, if you don't want to."

"Oh don't be stupid, Ximena," Amy said as she walked into the room, "With just a little thought, I could have understood, but I didn't stop to think. Please don't go. I want you to stay on, and I'm sorry for making you cry. I feel awful about that." She hugged Ximena and looked into her eyes, "Please tell me that I haven't lost your friendship."

Ximena hugged her back and shook her head, "No, Amy, We're still friends. How is Maeve?"

"That's what I came down about," she said, "Maeve is hungry. I've just helped her to the commode upstairs so that she could use the chamber pot and she's ravenous now."

The housekeeper stared, "To the commode, but, ... well, I've got broth and I've got soup for her."

"Don't you dare take her broth, if you value your life, "Amy grinned, "She'll bellow at you if you do that. Take her soup and bread -- and tell her that I said so. She can have a full meal tomorrow."

Ximena had everything on a platter and was heading up the stairs as quickly as she could go. She met Arn in the hall as he was coming down. "Amy says Maeve is better," she said.

He nodded, "Not enough to go dancing yet," he smiled.

"Thank you," Ximena said, meaning it.

After the shock of finding Maeve sitting up in her bed, Ximena was astounded to hear her old employer say that she thought the world of Amy's new husband and after being assured that Maeve could manage her meal and her dishes, she was shooed from the room.

As she walked back downstairs, Ximena shook her head in disbelief.

She walked into the kitchen just as the stableboy stopped by to say that he was done for the day. He also brought Winky, who was looking a little proud of herself.

"She is the best thing that I have ever seen at catching the rats in the stable," he said, "She hunts them and she never gives up."

Arn and Amy looked at each other, realizing that they'd forgotten all about her. "Ximena, would you happen to have a bone of some kind for Miss Winky here? I'd say that she deserves it."

"This is not a dog, Amy," Ximena said, "This is a wolf!"

"We know that. But she's ours, and I'm feeling pretty guilty right now, "Amy said. She sighed, "I guess maybe my idea was the best one, Arn. We'll move into the guest house tomorrow. I can't see my aunt trying to get around at her age and having to worry about Winky tearing around the way that she does when she's happy."

As Sabrina laid out the meal and the plates, Ximena fished a soup bone out of the pot. She held it against her lips for a moment and nodded, "Is this one good enough? It's warm, but it's not hot anymore."

"It'll be fine then," Amy said.

What - how do I give it to her?" she asked, noticing the way that the red wolf was eyeing her as she held up the bone.

"Just hold it near the end and hold it out for her," Amy said," and she'll do the-"

"That's fine, "she said, as Ximena stood inspecting her fingers. "Next time that you want to give her something, just tell her to take it nicely. She slows down a little then."

Ximena looked over at Winky a little nervously, but it was plain after a second that from the look that was returned to her, Winky now thought the world of her. Ximena couldn't help her smile as they all sat down to dinner.

"You were asking -- or wanting to ask Arn if he is a nahual," Amy reminded her. Ximena protested that she didn't really want to know anymore. "Let's go back to 'Congratulations, you look so good together!'" Amy just said, "Fine, and thank you. If you ever do want to talk about it again, then say so and we'll do that more calmly, I hope. In the meantime, you ought to hang your dress after dinner, Sabrina and I think that we'll need to buy you another one tomorrow. I'd like to show you the school the day after, and then we'll have the weekend to get ready for the start of school after that."

"Alright then," Sabrina smiled, "That sounds like the beginnings of a plan that I can look forward to."

Amy smiled back and looked down at her plate to begin to eat. Sabrina glanced at her and then at Arn for a second, wondering.

Sabrina felt the look on her from Ximena. She looked back and they shared a secret smile -- until Sabrina purposely knocked over her small goblet of wine.

She grabbed a dishtowel from behind her and did her best to soak up the spill. "I'm so sorry, Ximena," she said, sounding very apologetic and convincing. The moment was past quickly and the newlyweds returned their concentration to their dinners.

But Ximena didn't.

She smiled at Sabrina, "That's alright, Sabrina. No harm done really. There's nothing at all to apologize for. It happens all the time. Have some more wine and forget it."

The two women smiled at each other and Sabrina wondered at her own anticipation.

--------------

Over dinner, Ximena had asked about the degree of accuracy of Amy's dreams, since this was a chance for her to guage that. The answer led to more questions afterward as they'd gone out to enjoy the evening sitting in chairs around the brazier that was kept there for evenings such as this. From there, Ximena and Sabrina had been a little surprised to see Stormfeather set down his cup with a smile and a shrug.

"Since you have asked, and I need to do this anyway," he'd said, getting to his feet, "I can show you and you can see." He walked to the stables, and came back to them carrying a rolled cloth in his arms. When he'd stepped onto the porch, they were a little surprised at the way that the bundle clanked quietly as he'd set it down to unroll it. When he'd untied and pulled the cloth covering away, they were looking at a very old axe, and a sword in a rather tired --looking leather scabbard.

"Where can I keep these?" he asked Amy.

"We'll put them in the drawing room for now," she'd smiled, "Old friends like those shouldn't lie rusting in the stable."

He'd nodded and headed back to bring his bow. "Do they look real enough for you?" Amy had grinned at Ximena, who had nodded.

"Yes," she'd said, "They are the ones from your drawings."

Sabrina couldn't really believe what she was looking at. "Is that -- that's a real sword and a -- "

"A battle-axe," Amy had smiled, "yes. They're very old." She watched her friend blink through her spectacles and knew what was coming.

"May I touch them?" Sabrina asked when Arn had laid his bow and quiver down.

He'd nodded, smiling, "Of course, only, do not drop them on your feet. They are sharp," he said, lifting the sword and drawing it out about halfway before offering her the hilt of it.

Sabrina reached to grasp the hilt of the sword, and was surprised that it was even heavier than it appeared. She used both hands to hold it point upward in front of her, "Holy, ... "

"Humphrey?" Amy suggested with a wry smile.

"Oh, hell yeah!" Sabrina exclaimed, laughing a little. "I don't dare to swing it. I don't think I can and still hang onto it."

"You could," Stormfeather smiled, "but not on the first day. I could not either. It took some time before I could."

"Why do you carry them?" Ximena asked.

"At first, because they were all that I had of my father's things," Stormfeather said, "and anyway, by then, I could already use them well. Now, well, I have had them for so long that they are like parts of me."

A little later, he stood up and walked to the stables, carrying out a bale of hay and setting it down a little way off for use as a temporary target backstop before he picked up his bow and walked away a little as Winky sniffed and wondered why he'd brought the thing. When she saw the bow, she went to sit with Amy for a minute, before lying down quietly by her feet.

"He's in a bit of discomfort now, "Amy remarked, as the women sat on the rear porch of the house sipping tea.

"I can see that," Ximena nodded, as she watched the way that Arn would repeatedly stop his motions to try to find less restricting ways in which to move, "He is cautious and a little concerned about tearing the seams of his shirt."

"On the way here, he was worried about staying sharp," Amy said, "it's a concern for him, since I think staying here will probably be the longest that he's ever been in one place for any length of time. We're going to go hunting fairly often, Ximena. It'll save on some of the cost of food, but it's something that he needs to do. He can't sit still for too long. We'll set up something more permanent than this for his archery."

"Isn't he going to need another few bales?" Sabrina asked, "What happens if he misses?"

Ximena grinned a little, "I think that he only uses the bale to stop the arrow so that it isn't damaged. It's not in case he misses, is it, Amy?"

"I don't know, "Amy said, "I think you're right, but I don't know if he ever misses. I haven't seen him miss yet, but I guess everybody can muff a shot," she said as she stood up, "I'll be right back."

She came back after a brief conversation, carrying his shirt and brushing the odd bit of hay from it. "I told him to take this off, since we could see that it was bothering him. He was worried about offending you with it off," she said, rolling her eyes with a grin. "I told him that I didn't think that it would be a problem."

"I have no problem," Ximena said with a little grin, "Are you having a problem, Sabrina?"

They looked at their companion, who stood looking down for a moment as she cleaned her spectacles with the edge of her blouse for a moment. She set them back on her nose, blinked once and smiled, looking past them at Amy's husband, "There," she sighed with a little exaggeration, "I'm having no problem now ..."

After watching for a minute or two, Arn was forgotten as he practiced, which was the way that he'd have preferred it anyway.

"I'd like to point something out," Amy said quietly as they chatted, "Ximena, ... "she paused for a moment to choose her words, "look, he is exactly as I drew him before he and I met. If you look carefully, I'm sure that you've already noticed that he has the same thin braids in his hair that I drew as well. You can see for yourself that these things of his," she said, indicating the old weapons lying near their feet, "are the same as the ones that I drew as well. Even Winky here was in one sketch, wasn't she?"

Ximena nodded carefully and Amy went on. "So I think that from all of this, you can draw one of two conclusions. Either I met him in the flesh when I was at the farm and drew the pictures, or I drew them from my memory of what I'd dreamed as I said, and THEN I met him. I won't tell you what happened the first time that I met him, but it happened even before I reached the farm after I left here the last time. What happened wasn't romantic or anything, he just came to meet me because he knew that I was heading in his direction. As I said, I won't tell of it, but he saved my life. How we ended up falling for each other and getting married so suddenly came after that, and before you even ask why," she said looking right into Ximena's eyes, "the answer is that I just knew."

She sipped her tea for a moment and then set the empty cup down. "If you choose to believe that I met him when I went out to bury my father, then you know that he's a man. A little different, but that's what he'd be then, and I would have been lying about all of the other things that I saw in my dreams, or I saw them and chose to believe them in the fanciful way that a lonely young woman -- as you said, might do.