Summer Spirit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wait a minute, I'd know that sweet face anywhere. Devin Blithe. You are just as pretty as you were when my son was chasing after you some time ago."

"Thanks Daniel. You always knew how to make a girl blush," Devin replied, standing on tiptoes to embrace the tall man.

Marcus quirked his eyebrow. "Now how is it that my father can flatter and make you blush, but as hard as I try, I can't?" He wanted to know.

"Son, you still have a lot to learn about women, especially this particular one." His father joked.

"What brings you here Devin? I had heard through the grapevine that you had abandoned us for greener pastures. Are you back for good or just a visit?" he asked, hopeful.

"Just what I wanted to know, myself Dad," Marc replied.

"I just got out of a tumultuous marriage. I'm taking a week for myself to get away from the chaos and center myself again. My daughter is staying with my parents," Devin answered.

"Aw, how old is she?" Daniel asked.

"Shaylee is twenty-two months. This is the first time I've left her alone for any amount of time." Her voice hitched a bit. Daniel patted her back. Kyla kept tugging on his hand trying to get him to pay attention to her.

"Well good for you. You should come on over for BBQ one night while you are here. We would love to catch up more with you, wouldn't we Marc?" Marc gave his dad the cut-it-out-look. Kyla had begun bouncing up and down impatiently.

"What about you, Daniel? Any ladies in your life?" Devin remembered when Marc's mother had died of cancer the summer they spent together. She suspected much of what happened between the two of them was a result of that loss. But Marc had never explained himself to her. He had just said goodbye.

It wasn't until he went back to college that she learned the truth from his father. She had been young and selfish and unable to put things into perspective back then. She just knew he was saying goodbye.

"Um it looks like Kyla might need the potty." She recognized the tell-tale hopping from one foot to the other stance.

"As a matter of fact, I do have a girlfriend. If you come to the house you will get to meet my Marina." Kyla's impatience had reached the limit and she looked at the grown-ups once before heading into the crowd.

"I gotta go!" she stated, holding herself.

"And she's off again. Nice to see you. Please visit," he shouted as he followed the little girl back into the crowd, directing her to the bathrooms. A faint "Bye Daddy," was heard.

"Your Dad looks great," Devin commented, relaxing as she always did after being around such an upbeat soul.

"He's doing well. He worries about me. He hates that history has repeated itself. But what can you do? Marina makes him very happy. She's the total opposite of Mom, but she suits him. Anyway, you should take him up on his offer." She could tell that Marc was about to make another move when he moved his hand to her hip, but a seagull came out of nowhere and dive-bombed them, snatching the slice of pizza off of her cheap paper plate and depositing a gift atop of her head.

"Eww, ugh gross! You little bastard! Get back here with my Jersey pizza!" she screamed and took off at a sprint after the winged villain. She knew it was utterly silly to chase after the bird. It wasn't like she would get the precious slice back. But at the same time, if she didn't get to eat it, no one should. She could hear laughter at her back.

"Devin, come back it's just a stupid bird. It's not like it was aiming for you." He tried to reason with the irate woman who had just leaped over the banister and landed feet first into the sand. She turned back to stick her tongue out at him and the seagull's mate took aim and shot another load at her. This one landing all over her shirt. Her shriek of rage was heard all up and down the boardwalk.

"You want a piece of me too, bitch? This was a brand new shirt, thank you very much! Here. Here you want it so badly?" In a rush of anger, she lifted her shirt, not remembering she didn't have time to throw a suit on under her clothes and threw it at the bird. The shirt landed on the winged villain and it started screeching and stumbling around, flapping its wings inside the garment.

***

Seeing that the evening was heading towards disaster, Marc did the only thing he could do; he leaped over the banister himself. His jaw dropped as she exposed herself to the world. He caught up to Devin and threw himself at her, knocking her to the ground and pinned her beneath him. She screamed and flailed around like a lobster in the pot.

"Get off of me!"

He scooped her up in his arms kicking and screaming and dropped her into the ocean. A wave swelled above her and her eyes widened in alarm. "Oh no!" It knocked her down and dragged her under. She fought the current. But he was there, his arm around her, holding her against him.

"I gotcha. Dev, I'm sorry! I forgot your fear of the ocean. Listen, calm down. I'm trying to help you. If the cops see you topless, they'll throw you in the slammer, no questions asked. You aren't nineteen anymore." He brought them to the shallows and sat with her between his legs. "Lean your head back."

"What? Why?" she asked. He could tell she was tired and confused. She looked down at herself for the first time, noticing her state of undress and groaned.

"It's okay. Tilt your head back and I'll try to get some of the bird shit out of your hair." She did as he asked, blushing profusely as she tried to cover herself up. She began muttering to herself about her idiocy and heathen gulls.

"Come back to my place and you can wash up. I can get you a shirt to wear," he suggested. "We can pick up a slice on the way back and custard, too." He added. "Didn't think I'd forget about that, did you?"

She crawled onto the sand and caught her breath, shaking her head. He stripped off his wet t-shirt. "I know it's wet, but it's better than nothing," he paused, "in the eyes of the law, that is."

***

"I just want to go back to my inn and take a long hot bath, call my baby, and go to bed," Devin said. "Thanks for the offer," she added as an afterthought. So far, this trip was turning out to be more stressful and disastrous than being home with her thoughts.

"It was great seeing you again, Marc. I'm sorry for my immaturity. Who would have thought in a million years that you would have been the cool-headed one?" She gave a small smile. He hugged her.

"You've always been hot headed, baby. You've just tried to hide it with sass. Did it feel good to vent to the birds?" He kissed her forehead and she blushed again, hugging his wet shirt to her body. Her nipples pebbled up from the chill in the air.

"It helped," she admitted.

"Can you do me a favor?" he asked.

"Um, what?" Suspicion crept into her tired voice.

"Let me finish helping you get the shit out of your hair. It really looks like a two person job. It's in there pretty damn good." He lifted some of the plastered gunk from her hair and grimaced. "It's definitely foul."

"Yeah, I guess." Her stomach rumbled. "I'll take you up on a new slice of pizza too and a twist custard." She stood up with his help. "Make that triple dipped."

***

Marc waited outside the door while nature called her to the bathroom. Devin decided that she was not getting in the shower with him naked, so she pulled out a green and brown paisley bikini top and a matching little bikini skirt, quickly putting it on. Just to be safe, she told herself.

Marc was exploring the little room when she unlatched the antique door and peeked out; an invitation. He still wore his turquoise board-shorts, not wanting to be too forward. When he entered the bathroom, the shower was already running, and she was in it. Her cute figure beckoned him from behind the curtain. He stepped in behind her and stifled a noise.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather spare another two pieces of clothing from the crap?" He cursed inwardly, seeing her wearing a sweet little brown and paisley bikini top and matching skirt. It flirted against her curves and he tried to remember what it was hiding. The last time they had been together they were so young. He knew from the quick glimpse of her bare breasts in the ocean, that she had filled out quite nicely over the years. He didn't know why she felt the need to wear the suit, but figured maybe she was trying to keep some semblance of modesty about her. Either that or she didn't trust herself with him. Even better. She turned around.

***

"No, I'm fine. Here." Devin handed her sweet smelling shampoo to him to lather in her hair. He shrugged and got to work. "I'm a little cold," she added.

"I could keep you warm." A slightly deeper voice caressed her senses. She closed her eyes, blocked out the crap in her hair, and focused on the sensations his big manly hands were causing. He ever so gently washing the white stuff away. After he was finished with her hair, he slid his hands down to her shoulders, sudsing them up as well, working his fingers beneath the bikini strap. He kissed the large freckle that sat on top of her shoulder. When her body relaxed, he slipped each strap off her shoulder, tugging the top halfway down her chest.

"Do you remember, Devin?" He whispered in silky tones.

***

The mutual flashback came upon them.

The girl watched as the youthful sun-bronzed god broke the water's surface and pulled himself up onto dock, his shoulder length chestnut hair tangling in the wind. She suddenly felt the urge for a dip. She took a graceful swan dive off the bulkhead; her hot pink bikini top floating away behind her, unawares. She swam underwater mostly to get to the dock situated a few lagoons past the creek out in the bay.

The college stud saw the flash of orange sunshine streak beside him. He had jumped back into the water after retrieving himself a cold beer, and was floating in an inner tube. He leaned his head down to try and see what was in the water and collided with a fiery red head. She came sputtering up, cursing. Her gray eyes glaring into his ocean blue ones. She reached out to hold onto the inner tube to catch her breath.

"A Lady of the Lake? A living, breathing water nymph? Destructive Lorelei? Pray tell, what vision lies before me?" He reached his hand down to give the wet red hair a gentle caress.

It took her a moment to process his words.

"I see no rock, nor magical sword, nor mist enshrouded island on a lake," she answered as she composed herself.

"Ah a water nymph then, come to lure me into the depths."

"Those are some pretty big words," she replied. She felt uncomfortable under the heat of his gaze. He grinned at her.

"Might I be the knight to rescue the pretty damsel?" he asked her, gazing at her intently.

"I can swim just fine and I do not need some drunk city boy spreading rumors about me to his buddies or make me the butt of their joke," she mumbled. She didn't care if he heard. She tossed her wet hair out of her face for effect.

His eyes traveled from her haughty face down to her chest. He noticed something and smirked at her scowl.

"Darling it is not your butt that they'd be joking about, but your lovely bosom, if they knew." He chuckled. Obviously he knew something she had not.

She turned three shades of red when she realized her suit top was missing. She let go the inner tube and sank back into the water.

"Don't worry, I'm the only one here and the only one that can see you in all your glory."

"And that should make me feel oh so much better?" A storm was gathering in the depths of those gray eyes and all he wanted to do was dive in and chase it.

"Not for nothing, but I can't help thinking that your curiosity in me led you over here. Why don't you come on up and stay a bit? We can talk, have a beer, get you a shirt. I have a spare in my truck. Where did you come from anyway?"

Dammit, his ego was big, but he was being sweet.

"I live on one of these lagoons," she muttered. "My parents will be looking for me."

"Are you even old enough to drink?" He asked.

"Not for another three years." She smiled sweetly.

"Ah, I see. Well how about a soda, then?"

She nodded and watched him walk to his car, open a cooler and hold up two cans of soda. She chose the left can. "How old are you?"

"How old do I look?" He came back over and handed it to her.

"Oh for crying out loud. Just tell me how old you are, please?" She popped the seal.

"I'm twenty-four." At her look of relief, he laughed. "What? Were you afraid I was going to say I was thirty or something?"

"Something like that."

"Ouch. Last time I checked I didn't have any gray up there. But, then again...."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean -- "

"Relax, siren. I'm teasing."

"My name is Devin." She extended her hand and before she could changed her mind, he lifted her up onto the tube.

"Mm even better. Devilishly, delectable Devin. I'm Marcus"

"Alliteration?" The look of surprise on her face pleased him.

"You got it. Literature major."

"I should have guessed it with those fancy words." She giggled. "I'm going to be majoring in Literature too."

He nodded. "Stay here, I'll grab you a shirt from my truck." He did, but not before drinking in his fill of the sight of the pert little breasts she was trying with difficulty to hide.

"Would you like to come over to my Uncle's place later? He lives on a lagoon. Has a big fast boat. I've been needing a co-captain to pilot her."

"If your Uncle lives on the lagoon, what are you doing out here?" she asked him as she pondered the new bit of information. She was glad to know he had a good reason for using some of the outdated words that he did.

"I might ask the same of you. I needed to get away from the noise of the summer house."

"I just needed to get away," she admitted. He nodded in understanding and walked up to his truck. She gulped when she caught sight of his growing erection tenting his suit just as he turned away.

***

Devin now turned her attention to that same erection, the one that was pressing against her back in the shower, twelve years later. His hands had a gentle grip on her breasts and his thumbs were playing with her nipples. A tiny bell of warning went off in her head as he gently turned her to face him. She wanted to say something about how cocky and sure of himself he had been back then. She wanted to talk about the memories. She wanted to ask him why.

He dipped his head down and licked the droplets of water from her breasts. She leaned forward which only pressed her breasts more firmly in his hands.

"I think you were right. I wouldn't have been able to get the crap out of my hair alone." She side-stepped away from him. He took the hint and backed off. He watched her turn the water off and grab a towel. She put her hair up in a towel twist and tossed him one.

"Let's go back to the beach with the metal detector. I feel bad that you might have missed out on finding Kyla's locket when I crashed into you." She started brushing her hair and winced at the knots. The ocean had done a number on her hair as had the damn seagull.

"That's really sweet of you to offer. But I thought you were tired." He held his hand out to her. "Can I? I'll be gentle."

She nodded and let him try to work the knots out. "I'd like to. Ow, I don't think this is working and it hurts," she grumbled.

"Sorry. I'm trying to be gentle," he frowned.

"I know and you are. I think I'm going to need professional help with this one. I was due for a hair appointment anyway. Maybe they can squeeze me in tonight." She grabbed her cell phone and the phone book that was in the top drawer of the antique dresser.

"What kind of style were you thinking?" He asked. "Not too short right?" She knew that he loved her curly hair. He had spent one afternoon coming up with arcane words to describe it. She sensed his apprehension and shook her head.

"What is it with men and long hair?" she demanded.

"I think it's a primitive thing," he laughed.

"Actually, I'm planning on donating it for a wig to be made for a sick child. So, yes, I'm going pretty short. You have to have ten inches to spare for them to cut off and then you send it in."

"Wow," he responded. "Well, that's really generous of you."

"It's for personal reasons. This will be my second time donating." She held her hand up to him, as she turned her attention back to the receptionist on the line. The girl told her she had an opening in ten minutes if she could make it and yes, they do participate with the hair-donation program.

***

Marc agreed to meet her back on the boards at 8 pm after her haircut. He was anxious to see her new style, but a bit sad knowing that so much gorgeousness was being cut off. At least it was for a good cause, he tried to reason with himself.

He berated himself for not seizing the opportunity in the shower to run his fingers through the long tresses one last time, to drag her wet body against his and show her how much he'd missed her. But she had looked so tired and he didn't want to rush her. So he had let it go for the time being. He reminded himself that she was visiting for a whole week and there would be time to make up for those lost years.

To kill some time he went back onto the beach. It was hot and he was sweaty and a quick dip would hopefully cool him down, in more ways than one.

He felt a brush against his shoulder and turned around, expectantly. But as usual, there was no one there except the wheeling seagulls. He stared down at the sand, trying to find some sea-glass to add his little girl's shell collection. Something white was sticking up in the sand and when he bent over to retrieve it, he realized it was a perfectly intact sand dollar. The third one he'd found in a week! It only just dawned on him that the locket he was searching for was a 14K gold sand dollar.

Danae, his deceased-almost-fiance had had a fascination with sand dollars and he had given the necklace to her as a gift when the baby was born. She'd seemed surprised and pleased with the gift and then asked him if he knew the reason she was obsessed with them. She proceeded to tell him a touching story about sand dollars and the winged-gifts they kept hidden within.

"I don't know what to think or believe. But I find it funny that your sand dollar went missing and now I'm finding real sand dollars everywhere. I want to believe you are here with me. But you know me Danae, I'm thick headed and need a bigger sign." Marc said to the breeze. A large wave crashed on the shore, ocean spray splashing his face.

He felt a tingle at the back of his neck and turned to see a vision floating across the sand towards him. Her hair was straightened and cut just above the shoulder, playing against her snowy skin.

Devin was running towards him, waving her arms around frantically. When she caught up to him, she was out of breath. A braid of her hair was in one hand and something gold was in the other. She was wearing a little sundress that showed off her feminine curves beautifully. Muted dragonflies floated across the front of the dress in a rainbow array of colors. A jade dragonfly pendant nestled between her breasts, completing the ensemble.

"Marc, Marc, look at this beautiful necklace I found up on the boards. It was hanging from one of the posts. Someone is going to be missing this, terribly. It's so unique, look." She unlatched the locket and showed him pictures of his recent past.

On one side of the locket, a beautiful girl with long black hair and piercing green eyes was gazing lovingly down at a newborn nestled in her arms. On the other side, a handsome guy was smiling out. The locket read "until our time of forever." It was a promise.

Marc stared up at the sky in amazement. "You could have just hit me over the head with a sledge-hammer," He remarked wryly.