Tempus Fugitives

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Of course there was a fringe benefit of this enterprise. We were able to donate substantial amounts of company monies to the church and claim them as a tax deduction. We were able to do this as the companies were operated by our family trust and not as a public company. This proved to be more easily explained than claiming that the money came from large winnings at the races.

All this time Jadixna and Micha were beginning to show some outward signs of their pregnancies. At first it was just their manner and a sort of inner glow. Then as time progressed they started to expand their waistlines while at the same time seeming to become more beautiful. There was a certain attractive serenity in the household.

Telephones have a way of shattering the peace. "John, I have some gentlemen who would like to talk to you." It was Margaret calling from the office. I hadn't been there all week, instead leaving her to organise the administrative side of the business.

"Who are they and what do they want?" I knew who they were and exactly what it was that they wanted.

"They are policemen, and they won't tell me," I could tell by the emphasis on the 'me' that they were listening and she was telling them that she was an important part of our organisation, "what they want."

"OK, tell them I will be there within the hour."

"What do they want?" Jadixna was worried.

"Don't worry, I'll have it sorted out in no time."

It was almost an hour to the second when I entered the office. Margaret met me in the reception area and her worry was obvious. "They are waiting in your office. I pointed them towards the bar and I think that you may have to buy some more Glenfiddock."

I strode into my office a picture of self confidence. Pictures lie. I was getting jumbled messages from the two policemen. The more senior of the two was exuding confidence from every pore while his mate was worried that they were doing something that was wrong and could get into trouble if caught. I wasn't getting any clear picture as to what it was that had led to their being here so I thought that I had better ask. "Gentlemen, how can I help you? I hope that my delay in getting here hasn't kept you from some more pressing matter like murder or rape or something."

"No Sir. We have nothing more pressing on our plates at this point in time. Now Sir," I was beginning to hate him already, "I am Detective Inspector Burslem and this is my colleague Sergeant Spedding. We are members of the Fraud Squad and we are conducting a routine investigation into some financial transactions in which your company figures quite prominently. I'm sure that our enquiries will find nothing amiss, but, you understand Sir, we are only doing our job."

"I understand." I certainly did. Polite as they tried to be, the term routine investigation had an ominous ring to it. "How can I help you?"

"Well sir, we are investigating the financial activities of a certain church organisation. It seems that the funds used to establish it came form very interesting sources."

"Really? What does that have to do with me?"

"The interesting source was the television network that you have recently bought in the US."

"I didn't investigate the actual running of shows broadcast on the network before I bought it. If the station management see fit to invest money in a program that they feel will bring in commercial revenue then I would say that it is good business sense."

"We have been asked to investigate the source of the funds. If the station management used station funds then it must have come from somewhere and we aim to find out where."

"And what does that have to do with me?"

"We believe that the money used came from your own company."

"So?"

"We have been asked to investigate where you got the money."

"Are you inferring that there is in any way something illegal about these transactions?"

"No."

"Then what is the link?"

"We are investigating all aspects in an endeavour to find out if in fact there is a link."

"Then why didn't you say so in the first place. Instead of coming up with that convoluted story about television stations and programming you could simply have asked to see my books."

"May we see them?"

"You must understand that I am a very busy person who has limited time at his disposal. In order that I can assist you I will need some official documentation from someone in authority which sets out the precise terms of reference for your investigation."

"As I said before we are exploring the links in this series of transactions and just how heavily your companies are involved in this 'Holiness Ministry" organisation."

"Darling!" It was Jadixna's voice in my head, "Some policemen have just broken down our door and arrested me and Micha. They haven't told us what the charge is or anything and one of them hit Micha in the stomach. I think that she might miscarry. Help us, please."

"What is the matter sir?"

"I was just trying to think if I have any direct involvement with that church." I was stalling for time, trying to gather my thoughts. "Don't worry Darling, it will be alright." I had tried hard to sound convincing and confident. I hoped it worked.

6

It didn't work. In the past when trouble came it was me that was on the receiving end. This time the roles were reversed and I wasn't prepared for it. My thoughts were racing along and getting nowhere fast. There was a mass of contradictions and confusion and it wasn't until Jadixna's now relatively calm voice came into my mind that I began to clear my thoughts.

"Micha is demanding to use the telephone to call a lawyer. The police have suggested that, as she is a lawyer she should be able to represent herself, but she has told them that she is badly injured and in no condition to help anyone. She is also demanding a medical examination. She has told them that she is bleeding from the vagina and in danger of miscarrying. I think that they are a little worried."

"They are not the only ones, is she alright?"

"She says so, but I'm worried too. Please get us out of here."

"Does Micha know of a lawyer that she, and we, can trust?"

"Yes. His name is Peter Richardson. He was a friend of hers at Law School and she trusts him."

"Is anything the matter Sir?" It was Burslem who interrupted the train of thought.

"No, nothing more than usual. Would it be asking too much if I was to have my lawyer present while this investigation takes place?"

"I don't think that will be poss...." His voice trailed off as he realised how close he had come to revealing that he knew of the raid on our house. "I don't feel that it will be necessary at this point in time, but if you really must, go ahead."

I picked up the white pages and found Richardson's number. "Would it be possible to talk to Mr Richardson?"

"Are you a client?" His secretary's voice sounded as if she had a whole orchard of plums in her mouth.

"My name is John Smith of the Underhill Corporation."

"Just one moment Sir." I was placed on hold. After a break of some minutes she came back onto the line, "Just transferring you." By the tone of her voice Richardson had recognised the name and associated company and this had impressed her.

"Mr Smith, how may I be of assistance?" This man was smart. He knew that I wasn't already a client and that I had found myself in a situation where I had to act as if I was.

"Peter, would you do me a favour and slip over to my office as quickly as possible? That'll be fine. Just one more thing, on the way over could you stop by Police Headquarters, Mrs Smith and Micha Longmuir are doing business there, could you bring them back here with you? Good, see you when you get here."

"Correct me if I'm wrong. You are in the presence of a couple of fine examples of our law enforcement fraternity and you want them to believe that you and I have a long standing relationship. Your wife and the beautiful Micha have got themselves in some sort of bother and you want me to bail them out."

"Well yes if it costs you anything you know that I'm good for it."

I hung up the phone. I had to give it to him, I couldn't see his eyelids over the phone, but if I could I wouldn't have seen them move. I think the mention of Micha's name probably tipped him off. If she needed help to get out a situation and thought that he was the best person for the job he would, rightly, feel chuffed. I had the feeling that he would come in very handy.

"Would you gentlemen like some refreshment?"

"Now that we might have to wait for some time I guess that there will be no harm in having a cup of coffee or something."

By the emphasis on the 'something' I got the hint that it would be preferable to the coffee. "How about the something? " I walked to the bar and produced a bottle of Chivas Regal which had them literally drooling at the mouth.

"It would be bad manners to refuse such generous hospitality. I think a small one Sir."

"Two fingers then." I said holding my little and index fingers to the side of the glass and pouring until it was almost brimming over.

"I hope that you wouldn't be thinking of getting us drunk now."

"That thought never entered my head."

We settled down to wait. Burslem very cleverly, he thought, manoeuvred the conversation around to religion in general and the Holiness Church in particular. My responses were always suitably vague and non-committal. His frustration was rising by the minute. Spedding seemed to want to talk about anything but religion and was making a good attempt at being embarrassed by his superior's behaviour. It was their own subtle variation on the 'good cop, bad cop' scenario and for someone who couldn't read minds it might have worked, as I'm sure that it must in most cases.

Time dragged by on leaden wings. The tide in the Chivas bottle was getting lower by the minute, as both policemen were now attacking it with a will and determination, seldom seen in an official capacity.

The phone chirruped gently. The reaction from both of them suggested that it was more like a truck air horn blasting into their ears from close quarters. I picked up the air horn. "Yes Margaret?"

"Inspector Burslem is still with you isn't he?"

"Yes."

"There is a call for him."

"For you Inspector." I handed him the phone.

"Burslem here." Suddenly he stiffened and became terribly officious.

"Bycroft here."

"Yes Sir."

"What are you doing? I thought that I told you to keep your mouth shut."

"I did Sir."

"But he knew that we had his wife and that other woman."

"Yes."

"And you didn't tell him?"

"Yes, I mean no Sir I didn't mention that."

"Then how did he find out?"

"I don't know how he could have known. All I know is that he rang his lawyer and asked him to pick them up on his way over to the office. There is no way anybody could have seen them being brought in is there?"

"Did anyone ring him?"

"No."

"You have answered your own question. I'm no more the wiser than you. Now get yourself back here, now."

"Is anything the matter Inspector?" My concern was as transparent as the glass in the office window.

"Something has come up and we have to get back to the station. Come Sergeant"

"Inspector, I feel insulted. You come into my office making all sorts of interesting allegations, and acting as if the future of the world as we know it depended entirely on you carrying out a most exhaustive investigation of our files, and then you drop everything and leave as if you have something more important to do. Now how would you feel if you were in my shoes?"

"I wouldn't push my luck if I were you, Sir." No sense of humour has our Inspector.

As soon as they had left I sent a message to Jadixna. "Darling, where and how are you?"

"We have just dropped Micha at the hospital to get checked over. Don't worry, she's fine it's only a precaution. Peter and I are almost at the office."

Almost must have been right. Less than a minute later they walked in. Peter Richardson was a tall gangly young man who, because of his height seemed to walk with a permanent stoop. His thin, unlined face was merely a frame for the most piercing blue eyes that I had ever seen. The face was crowned by a mass of deliberately unruly hair dyed in a pepper and salt colouration. He looked more like a musician than a lawyer. Looks can be deceiving.

Introductions took several seconds. "We must thank you for helping us out like this. I must admit to being just a little worried that you would, or could, not help us. I must say that you handled the phone call very well."

"Thank you sir. We lawyers are used to getting strange phone calls and having to think on our feet. If we don't, we would miss out on getting work. Anyway, after I heard you mention Micha's name I was hooked. I sort of lost contact with her some months ago. All that I could find out was that she had got a job as a corporate lawyer, which I must say is more her line of work than criminal law. Not that she's not good at it mind you, she can run rings around ninety percent of our class. I was more than a little put out that she hadn't spoken to me, but then our relationship, if you could call it that, was just a tad on the casual side."

"We think that she is good too." Jadixna interrupted, otherwise we wouldn't have employed her. But, if today's episode is anything to go by, we may need the assistance of a criminal lawyer in the not too distant future. If you are interested in working for us it will take some of the pressure from her, especially now."

"Why now in particular?"

"Now that she is pregnant, surely you noticed that?"

"I thought that she looked a little different, somehow better, but I couldn't put my finger on it."

"Are you still interested in the position?"

"Possibly. I will need to know more about you and your organisation, and I don't believe everything that I read in the papers, before I commit myself."

"Of course. We wouldn't have it any other way."

I briefly outlined the structure and philosophies of the Underhill Corporation. When I had finished Peter let out a long sigh. "Have you ever read the story of Don Quixote who travelled around the countryside tilting at windmills? Well let me tell you that your plans are the most Quixotic that I have ever heard. Having said that, I hasten to add that I think that you have the right idea and if anyone is going to succeed in this venture, you will be the one. Count me in."

"Great. But before you make a final decision. We have to tell you that we, Jadixna and I, Leandara, our real names by the way, are from the future, here to try to prevent a major war."

"No worries. I really don't care one way or the other who or what you are. I agree with what you are doing, to me that's all that matters."

Margaret came into the office. "Time to go home bosses. I think that I'll call into the hospital and see how Micha is getting on. I'll meet you back at the house."

"I think that I'll come with you. Darling could you take Peter with you and show him around the house and give him any information that he wants."

Margaret and I left leaving Jadixna and Peter to take Margaret's car home.

I suppose that hospitals have to be easy to clean in order that any disease can be confined, but I felt as I walked down the corridor to Micha's room that such a cold environment would have to be difficult for patients to handle coming from a warmer family one. I made a mental note to explore the possibilities of setting up a medical facility that promoted the concept of a comfortable healing environment.

"It'll work." Micha hastily, and a little guiltily put down a magazine that she was trying unsuccessfully to find interesting as we walked into the room, "Trash! I don't know how people can read this garbage." She held out her arms and Margaret and I entered her warm embrace. "When Jadixna and I have our babies I want that we should either have them at home or in a place that closely resembles our home."

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine. Fighting fit actually. I've been hassling the staff here to let me go home but they kept muttering things about doing what is best for the patients, me and my child, which by the way I haven't lost."

"That's wonderful news! And we've got some for you. Your friend Peter is coming to work for us. He's with Jadixna at the house now."

"If his mind hadn't already been made up it wouldn't have lasted long with Jadixna working on him. I'll have to get out of here if only to protect him from her clutches."

"What about your clutches, from what I hear he couldn't stay out of them for very long."

"Whatever do you mean?" She tightened her grip on my neck and pulled my head down so that the only thing that separated my face from her breasts was a thin layer of puritanic hospital gown. They were still soft and warm and my lips instinctively turned to the nearest nipple and gave it a light peck.

"Ahem." The polite interjection was made impolite by the disapproving tightness of the lips through which it came. The cold stare travelled for what seemed like miles down her imperious nose that divided the starched face of the starched sister in the starched uniform. "If you don't mind this is a hospital not some house of dubious reputation."

"Ever so sorry Matron." The contrition was layered so thickly that both Micha and Margaret had difficulty in controlling their mirth for several seconds before they lost control and started laughing. The sister stalked out only to return several minutes later with a doctor who examined Micha and pronounced her 'wonderful' and fit to go home. I got the distinct impression that the sister didn't approve of that either, and from the look that she gave him he was in for a hard time.

It only took Micha a couple of minutes to shed the gown and slip into her clothes. Within five minutes of being told she could go she was going.

We were followed home by a non-descript couple of men in a non-descript car. I decided that it would be more trouble than it was worth to try and shake them off, so I let them follow. After all they probably already knew where we lived.

We arrived to a warm welcome from Jadixna and Peter. Margaret left to pick up Jonathon from school, just as Tony arrived home from his day of wheeling and dealing. He was shocked by what he saw and heard. "Why didn't somebody call me and let me know what was happening?"

"Because there was little that you could do at the time and we thought it better if you weren't directly involved just now."

"But I am involved. By the way, as I pulled into the drive I saw a couple of men who seemed to be taking more than casual interest in the house. I had the feeling then that something was wrong."

"We have been followed by a couple of overzealous policemen."

"Tell me all about it."

So we did. When we finished Tony nodded his head. "That explains something that was bothering me a little earlier today. The Stock Exchange Board seem to be keeping a close watch on our share transactions. They obviously don't have anything to go on or we would have been asked to appear before them before this. I think that we should be very careful with what we do and how we invest our money in the future."

"Couldn't you just use a different Stock Exchange or a different broker?" Peter asked.

"I am already spreading our business as widely as possible but with computer links between the exchanges in the country any major transactions are monitored carefully. Besides, for our purposes we wouldn't have it any other way. The share market can react quicker to any unusual trends which makes it easier for us to manipulate the market for fun and profit."

"Without breaking the law of course."

"Of course. Nothing we have done this far, apart from borrowing some money from a dishonest shopkeeper when we first arrived, has been against the law. This by the way we paid back in full, much to his confusion because we let his insurance company know how much had actually been 'borrowed' and that it had all been returned. If you were to take notice of some of the more sensational tabloids, they might hint strongly that what we are doings is illegal or immoral or both. It is neither, but I would have no compunction about being slightly immoral when dealing with some of the more ruthless businessmen because, by their own code, morality and ethics have little place in the business world."

1...678910...22