Ten Days in the Country Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

David snapped out of his stupor when he heard the tavern door swing open. He coughed slightly into his glass as he glanced over. The light seeped in like a white sheet pulling along a slender figure from the brightness outside.

Nicola took off her sunglasses as she let the door close behind her. She put her hands on her hips and looked around the tavern. She actually seemed to be impressed with the dark rustic surroundings.

"Wow," she said pointing to something at the other end of the bar, "Never too cliché for moose heads hanging in a tavern I guess."

She snickered to herself but David was unmoved, still holding onto his glass. Nicola looked over at him. She gave him a coy wave of her hand as if she were meeting someone at a coffee shop. David blinked, startled and lost. He hoped that he was smiling back at her. He wasn't sure.

The woman walked over to him and took a seat at the bar. He just continued to watch her. She held her breath for a moment then held out her hand.

"David. I'm Nicola," she offered.

Finally putting his glass down, he took her hand. It was gentle and soft.

"I'm David," he said, his voice trailing off.

Nicola smiled and scrunched her nose , amused. She laughed and said, "I know. I'm Nicola by the way."

David grinned crookedly but finally the light bulb flickered on. He loosened up and said, "Okay. Okay. Hi Nicola. Want a drink?"

She glanced at the bottles behind the bar and waved her hand at them. She looked around the tavern and, nodding, replied, "No, I'm just checking things out around town, looking for the local hotspots."

"Falcon's Talon is about it," David remarked, then added, "But things usually pick up in here during the evenings."

Nicola shook her head, "That's okay, David. I'm really not looking for much excitement this week. I'd be happy to just hang out in the cabin by myself for the whole week."

"Getting away, huh?" he said.

"Yup," she said with an exaggerated nod, "I need to clear the head a bit."

David watched her intently as she spoke. He was still taken aback by how surprisingly smooth and deep her voice was..

Nicola rested her arms on the bar and leaned closer to David. He froze in his seat. "David," she spoke slowly, "I'm very sorry about this morning."

He moved back slightly, rattled by the sudden apology. He hadn't thought much about the incident from the morning. He shook his head and shrugged, opening his mouth to speak.

Nicola cut him off, "I really didn't mean to jump down anybody's throat. I guess I'm more wound up than I thought."

With a weary sigh, she stared across the bar with her icy blue eyes. David watched her. She did look a bit tired, a bit stressed. It didn't take anything away from her though.

After a pause, Nicola's thoughts and spirit drifted back and she smiled. She said, "Anyway, I did find a note from Kara saying you're supposed to be working around her cabin."

"I'm just sort of a handyman around the town in the summer," David said, "Pays for university."

A surprised look fixed on her face. "Wow," she said, "A university student."

"Fourth year, actually. I'm 22." He wasn't sure what he had read into her expression or her remark but he felt compelled to clarify his age.

"I remember fourth year, 10 long years ago," Nicola said her eyebrows arching upward, "Hooboy. Maybe I could use that drink!"

They both chuckled. David pushed a glass towards her and filled it halfway with a swirling maple coloured liquid. Nicola rolled her tongue along her lower gum, smiling. After a short pause, she took the glass, raised it to her lips and impressively knocked it back. She grimaced only slightly as she swallowed.

"Anyway," she continued after clearing her throat, "I don't want to interfere in your work. Do whatever you're supposed to do. I'll be fine."

David paused for a moment then said, "Don't worry. I'll figure something out."

Nicola put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. As she looked at the novelties hanging around the tavern, David took a moment to study her face from a closer angle. She had a unique nose with a high bridge that pulled his view to her shocking blue eyes. Her lips were natural and full, glossed and a light shade of red.

She asked, "Where's the ladies' room?"

He turned and pointed down a hall. She thanked him and he watched her as she walked away and disappeared through the door.

Alone at the bar again, he took another satisfied sip from his glass. The door to the tavern swung open. This time the tall person who came through didn't bother to admire the place as he strode in. Eric was quite familiar with the Falcon's Talon. He had his usual assured grin on his face as he sidled up to David at the bar and slapped him on the back.

"Hey, big guy," Eric said, his voice clear and loud, "What's the word?"

"Not much," David shrugged. He didn't try to shake off Eric's hand from his back. Actually, most times, he never had a problem with the big man. At his best, he was kind of a mentor to David. They often discussed a lot of things like work and travel and Eric never talked down to the younger man.

Eric only became a problem when he had too much time on his hands. Then he would drink and hang out with the lesser locals who often looked to him to provide them with some oafish entertainment and Eric, whether due to bravado or cockiness, would unfortunately oblige them.

Today, without his boisterous entourage, he was just looking for a quick fix.

"Where's that Caron?" Eric said as he looked behind the bar.

"Flushing bottles out back," David said and pushed his bottle over to Eric, "Want a sip?"

Eric smiled, flashing his teeth, and nodded his approval, "Thank you sir! My friend, you've just saved a life!"

David smirked as Eric took a satisfied swig from the bottle. The grin disappeared when he heard the creak of the door down the hall. The two men turned in unison. They saw Nicola creeping slowly up the corridor. She froze when their eyes met.

Eric smiled broadly and then leaned back on the bar counter. He drawled, "Well, good afternoon, Sunshine!"

Suddenly the heavy bravado was back. Her mouth opened slightly. David could tell that she was thinking of some way to resolve this thing already but she wasn't prepared to do that having just come out of the washroom. She continued to stare at the man whose shirt was open down to the last two buttons, his bare hairy chest thrust out like some giant rooster.

"I'll see you later, David," she said quickly and just as quickly made a break for the exit.

"Oh, hey! Hey now! C'mon!" Eric said to her, "Have a drink with us!"

The door was already swinging shut, clipping the light as he called to her, almost shouting, "I'm really sorry about before!"

Eric stood there and watched the door shut. They were back in the dark but David could definitely see the regret lingering on the large man's weathered face. It surprised him.

After a moment, Eric held up his hands and sighed. He turned and swiped at the bar, mumbling a curse then pursing his lips and thinking to himself. David was amazed by his reaction.

"David, buddy," he said thoughtfully, "There goes a fine piece of ass."

David blinked then shook his head. He rolled his eyes. As he lifted his glass to his lips he spoke, "Yeah. She's really pretty."

Eric looked at the young man beside him and smiled. He warmly patted him on the shoulder again and nodded, "Yeah. You're right. Really pretty."

Nicola slid around a corner, the wheels of her jeep skidding on the gravel road, before she realized she had better slow down or else go flying into a ditch.

She was gnawing on her bottom lip and looking off into the distant road. She fidgeted with her left hand, sometimes leaning her head on it, sometimes drumming her fingers on the wheel. There was no way for her to get comfortable, not with the thoughts she was having clouding her space.

Stupid, dumb, arrogant, she fumed to herself.

She thought about that man who was leaning against the bar, checking her out like she was some runway stripper. His sharp teeth were accentuated through that wide open smile he threw at her. She felt like a piece of meat under that glare of his.

Jerk, goof, goddamn freaking, mountain-man... She didn't want to say it but she spat out, "Yokel!"

Instantly, as she spoke the word, she rolled her eyes, disappointed in herself. She didn't want to be an elitist urban diva. She reminded herself that she was on vacation. She wasn't there to pick fights or impose her sensibilities onto these people who spent much of their lives trying to tolerate urban people insisting that they show them 'the richness of the outdoors'.

Did I call him 'mountain-man'? Nicola thought to herself, smirking. He was certainly rustic and rough all over but not exactly Grizzly Adams either. He had those sharp teeth, a nose like a small crooked pear, weathered and deep tanned skin, a long hard face narrowing to a rugged jaw, and ratty brown hair that looked like it was cropped short with a knife. Yes, he had all the features of an undeveloped plot of land. But somehow, they all pulled together and worked. Nicola couldn't put her finger on it.

She thought about the hard shelled body exposed beneath his unbuttoned shirt. No paunch whatsoever. The man was solid all over.

What am I thinking?! Nicola sniggered behind the wheel. So who was on the runway now?

"Oh wonderful! Let's fantasize about lumberjacks!" She laughed to herself as she turned the jeep up the long winding forest trail that led to the cabin.

DAY 3

Nicola was breathing heavily as she rounded the large tree that had fallen across the nature path. Her steps were heavier at the end of her morning run through the lush foliage and she was more inclined to just plough through the smaller underbrush than sidestep any of it at this point.

Morning? she thought, More like noon time, you bad girl!

True she had started her run late in the morning. She had woken up late, surprised to see the numbers "10:30" glowing in her face when she lifted her head up from the pillow earlier. That was almost 5 hours later than she normally woke up for work back in the city. That was after spending her time with Matt until midnight the night before.

Well, at least she didn't have to worry about staying out late with her ex-boyfriend anymore. Bastard.

Two things surprised her that morning: first, that she was actually able to stay asleep so long after training her body to get itself up at ungodly hours of the week and second, that David hadn't woken her up earlier with his mind-splitting chain-saw.

She had plopped back into the mounds of down-filled pillows she had nested for herself on the bed and stared at the ceiling. She wondered where the young man was, hoping he still didn't feel snubbed by her actions the previous morning. The bedroom was so peaceful, painted a lemon yellow with little décor, sheer white drapes, an antique vanity table and mirror across from the bed. All very comforting.

She had closed her eyes and fell asleep for another half hour.

When she finally kicked her day into gear she took her jog at a harder pace just to punish herself and make up for lost time. Half way through she realized that was probably a dumb thing to do. Running hard through an unknown landscape on what amounted to barely a narrow goat trail, she stumbled a few times, once almost tripping onto her face, ran into some bushes, and slipped on soft patches which she really hoped was just mud. It was becoming an obstacle course.

Then there was the heat. The days may have started off early with cool crisp air but that quickly gave way to an intense wave of midday heat that struck her just as she had begun to head back. After a few minutes, her mouth had dropped open and she was sucking in oxygen like water. Thank god it was fresh. But by now, even the earthy, sweet smell of wood and pine was overwhelming. And it was warm and soon she was dripping water freely from every pore, her flaxen hair damp and drooping flat on her face and neck.

She stumbled around the corner of the cottage, the sanctuary, and stooped over holding the handrail to the stairs leading to the door. They looked like the stairs to the Basilica. Nicola lowered her head and groaned between her gasps then hauled her sorry butt up the stairs.

She was hot and sticky and dirty with her shoes caked in mud and various stains of nature all over her clothing. As she entered the cottage and made her way slowly down the hall to the bathroom, she peeled off her clothes leaving a trail of her sweaty track pants, tank top, shoes, socks and underwear along the floor.

*********

David pulled his truck up beside Nicola's jeep. He smiled. He had been hoping she hadn't gone out for the day yet.

He got out and unloaded a few tools onto the ground before heading to the door. He wanted to ask her if it was okay if he got started now on his work. Really, he just wanted to see her.

David knocked on the screen door. The cottage was wide open so he figured she was in. After a moment of silence he peered through the screen and squinted. He saw some clothing on the floor leading down the hallway.

"Nicola?" he called out. No reply.

He reached for the door handle but then stopped. Possibly it was his conscious telling him it wouldn't be polite just to barge in. Then there was the voice on his other shoulder holding him back and beckoning him to go around to the back of the cottage.

As he approached the window to bathroom from outside he thought it was pointless trying to step quietly. He could hear the rush of the shower. He knew she had no idea he was out there.

Having helped build it, he knew the lay out of the cottage well, including the bathroom. It was shaped like a J with the tiled shower around the corner of a high wall. The shower area was in open view to the window.

David stepped up carefully on a couple of cut tree stumps. He could barely peer over the ledge of the window but he was rewarded for his knowledge of the cottage design.

The water flowed like glistening streams down Nicola's bare back, from her hair which was a richer gold colour from the water, down the smooth curve of her spine, spilling over the small of her back before rolling downward over and between the two firm round of her bum.

David sighed a long breath as he watched her rub some soap with a sponge across her arms and shoulders. She bent down to reach her toes and legs, covering them with a rich later and serving another fine view of her backside to him.

"A fine piece of ass," Eric had said. Grudgingly, David had to admit that the gruff description was apt.

She had other fine pieces on her. Despite a part of him that was feeling really uncomfortable now, he wanted to see them. It was this thought that kept him rooted in his place even as she turned toward the window. He held his breath, a line of sweat running down the side of his face.

Nicola's eyes were closed as she massaged shampoo into her hair. Again David sighed, his breath shuddering, and then gulped. Her breasts hung there before them, two perfectly rounded shapes of delicate softness, slicked to a shine from the soap and water. They sloped to two pinkish, pointy peaks, covered slightly ball small tufts of foam.

David slowly scanned her from her toes to her head, watching her as she tilted her head back to let the water wash out the shampoo. She opened her mouth, the water filling it, overflowing, and seductively running down the side of her mouth, down her chin and neck.

The young man's own mouth dropped open. He really felt unsettled now. With another blink and a shake of his head, he stumbled off the stumps, stepping back a few feet from the cottage. Staring at the wall blankly, he couldn't believe he had just done that. With barely a thought he had become a peeping-tom, invaded someone's privacy.

The pipes squeaked as the water shut off. David made his way to the front of the cottage.

*************

The shower had been refreshing and the woman was thoroughly relaxed now. She loved the smell of clean.

As Nicola slipped on her shorts and a denim top in the bedroom, she heard a series of dull thuds outside in front of the cottage. She walked to the living room, picking up the clothes she had left on the floor in her post-run haste, and looked out the window.

There was David with an axe taking chops at the tree he had been working on the previous morning. Nicola leaned closer to the window, her brow furrowed from curiosity. He certainly was working with a fervour on that tree. The young man had removed his shirt, s shiny sheen of sweat highlighting his long, lean musculature. His dark brown hair was matted from perspiration. His swings were strong, precise and rapid. He stopped only briefly to drag his forearm across his brow. Despite the obvious heat, he continued his chopping.

Nicola smiled, impressed by his effort, impressed with him in general.

Slipping on the shoes she unceremoniously kicked off earlier, she went outside.

"Hey David!" she said cheerfully as she approached him, her hands tucked into her shorts pockets.

He stopped in mid-swing and leaned back. For the briefest moment he paused before looking at her, trying to be certain he had the right expression on his face. A few minutes ago he was leering at her in a way that would impress Eric and his cronies. With her nude image fresh in his mind, he had to muster a cordial smile.

"Hey Nicola," he said with a curt nod He tried not to stare at her, "You're looking really nice."

"Oh well," she laughed and rolled her eyes, "Thanks! I just took a shower."

David's stomach ached. "That's..." he eked, "That's good."

"I figured you'd be here earlier this morning," Nicola said then smirked, "I was all ready to wake up to the sound of your wonderful chain-saw."

"I thought I'd start my rounds at other places first this morning. You know, give you a break. You looked like you needed a rest," David said. He lowered the axe head to the ground and leaned on the handle casually.

Nicola tilted her head and said, "Well thanks. That's really sweet of you. But I don't want to throw off your schedule..."

He waved his hand, "Not a problem."

There was a long pause as they smiled at each other. As he leaned on his axe, Nicola couldn't help but continue to mentally assess the looks of the young man. She noted how well defined his smooth chest, hell, his whole body, was. Her brow lowered a bit and her head shook ever so slightly as she realized the types of thoughts she was verging on at that moment. Okay, Nicola. Not going to have any of that now! Less than three weeks after your break up and you're ready to jump the first healthy body you see?

She quickly thought of something to say, "Uh, but why are you using the axe?" She nodded towards it.

"Because I didn't want to disturb your rest," he replied quickly as she had asked the obvious.

Nicola bent forward slightly, her shoulders dropping as she assumed the "How nice!" position and expression, eyebrows arched in the middle, blue eyes glistening, mouth open. This was a genuinely sweet guy.

"But isn't it more work for you?" she asked.

David looked back at the tree and shrugged, "Well the wood's pretty hard but you know, the axe'll get the job done. Good for the muscles, too."

Good grief, he's not kidding! she thought to herself.

"It's really easy actually," he went on and then looked at her with a smirk. He pointed his thumb at the tree, "You wanna give it a whack?"

"Ooh-hoo! I don't know," Nicola said stepping back, "I don't have your muscles, David!"

"Ah, c'mon! It's all in the swing," he replied as he took an easy stroke with the axe through the air. "Just like playing golf."