The Author Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Becky went to her job, and Bill brought her a cup of coffee when it was done. He sat in the waiting room and tapped at his keyboard without any enthusiasm. Finally leaning back and closing his eyes to avoid staring at the walls.

Simmons came in and found Bill sitting in the outer office and smiled. "Bill, good to see you. I doubt that the Feds are ready to admit their error just yet."

"I know, I didn't have anywhere else to go, not where I wouldn't be responsible for a riot." Bill said.

Jon nodded and after inviting him into the inner office they both sat back to wait. After a moment Jon started reading files on his desk, working other problems while waiting for this one to have anything to work on. Bill didn't mind, he moved back to the outer office and let Jon be.

Jennifer drove to the house and it was the center of a press convention as near as she could tell. She drove by and remembering what she had seen on the highway with Bill, she drove to the truck stop in town. Sure enough, there were phones at the tables. She had printed out a list of newspaper and television newsroom phone numbers. She bought a long distance phone card and started to make calls. First to the reporters she knew, or had talked to while working for Bill. She gave them the message, and the assurance that tonight on the O'Bannon show Bill would not only explain everything, but had already cleared his name with the US Attorney's office.

At the same time, the FBI agent Johnson, Dexter the Attorney, and the Polygraph test administrator were sitting in Dexter's office. "He's telling the truth. No doubt about it." The administrator said firmly.

"OK, how sure are you?" The Prosecutor asked.

"About as sure as you can get. His lie reactions are right on scale. Perfect in fact. You can't fake that. His truth lines are all right here." The man pointed to the sheets. "If you want it in writing, you got it. He told the truth answering those questions."

The FBI Agent nodded as he looked over the test sheets. "He's telling the truth all right. He didn't have any sexual relations with anyone under the age of 21 in more than ten years. He hasn't had any non-consensual relations with anyone ever. He hasn't had any illegal drugs as defined by us on a long list, he hasn't provided any of those to anyone." Taking the results of the drug test. "The lab worked all night on the hair sample. No sign of any drug residue. None. The urine sample was clean as it gets. He hasn't done any drugs. That's admissible, and would be a big shadow of doubt. He didn't do anything that he is accused of."

The Prosecutor shook his head. "Damn, now I've got to get Lyons interviewed again, and confront him with all of this. Shit. We give my case away before it's really going."

"Tell Carter that he failed." The Agent suggested.

"I can't, he knows he told the truth, and he knows he passed." The Attorney said. "Besides, it's not fair to keep him out there twisting in the wind like this. Not for someone else's lie."

"Tell him you'll make the statement after we get Lyons." The Agent suggested.

"Do you think we'll get him? Do you think he'll confess? Short of that we can't prove he lied without using the polygraph, and he's not going to submit is he?" The Prosecutor said.

"We have Lyons admitting he sells drugs, under oath. We can use that can't we?" Johnson asked the Attorney.

"The Jury is going to be informed that he lied about everything else, but he didn't lie about that?" Dexter fumed. "They'll never believe it. I think I can shoot all this to New York, and perhaps they can get a Warrant for a search. If he is really dealing, then he'll have drugs in the house. We might get him for possession if nothing else."

Dexter stared at the collected paper on his desk; he knew what needed to be done, what he had agreed to do. First he had to tell his boss, the appointed US Attorney, and then he had to call Simmons and get the ball rolling on the interview.

Bill accepted the congratulations of his attorney. The Attorney made a call to the television station to finalize arrangements for the interview. Bill used his cell phone to call James and ask him to watch the show. He sent a text message to Jennifer and Monica about the same thing. Then he turned the cell phone off. He had too much to accomplish to waste any time arguing.

A courier brought the copy of the videotape and the documents showing Bill's clean test results for the drug test. The Lawyer made quick copies of both and sent them by another courier to the Television station in town. The O'Bannon show was out of Washington DC, and they were going to do a remote link up. Lunch found them discussing the angles they were going to push during the interview.

"I want to make a statement out of this, about the ease which people have in trying to destroy popular public figures. How we tend to believe the worst in our fellow man or something like that." Bill said.

An hour before the interview they arrived at the studio in separate cars. Bill's plan was once this interview was done, that he would go on home and try to get his life back in some semblance of order. At the studio he shook hands with the Prosecutor and accepted his apology.

After the introductions and explanations Bill began. "Bill, I wanted to begin by thanking you for allowing me on to refute this absurd claim."

"Certainly Mr. Carter, I was astounded to find that you've reportedly already cleared up these charges." O'Bannon said.

"I can comment. I'm Bill Carter's attorney. I was present during the interview and polygraph of Bill Carter. He passed it all with flying colors. No doubt at all."

"Isn't it a bit unusual to be able to clear up such allegations so fast? I mean it's only been two days since Jeremy Lyons made the allegations on this show." O'Bannon said.

"Bill, I'm happy to say that the truth will set you free. Not an original statement certainly, but in this case, Mr. Carter submitted to testing by the Federal Government. Mr. Carter passed both the Drug testing and the Polygraph." Simmons said easily.

"Now, there are some who will say that urinalysis can be fooled, that you can flush your system. Is there any chance of that Mr. Simmons?" O'Bannon asked warily.

"Not at all Bill. Mr. Carter also submitted a hair sample for testing. As you can see, his hair isn't exactly short. The test would cover at least the last four years given the length of hair that he has. That test was also absolutely negative. No trace, no matter how remote, of any prohibited substance was found." Simmons said.

"Polygraph testing isn't admissible in the court of law, yet the US Attorney's office accepted it, why did you submit to such a test?" O'Bannon asked next.

Bill said. "Bill, I'm able to say that it was my idea. The test is not admissible, but it's far more accurate than people think. Properly administered, it's nearly impossible to beat. However the US attorney was given proof of one assertion of mine, the passing of the drug screening. This backs up that test, and removes any doubt from the other allegation from Jeremy Lyons."

"I see the Assistant US Attorney is here to comment." O'Bannon said.

"Mr. O'Bannon, It's not normally the policy of the Justice Department to comment on open investigations. However I can say that we are completely satisfied with Mr. Carter's answers. He is not a suspect in any way or shape, for any crimes. In fact, we are completely satisfied that he has not partaken in any of the criminal activities that he's been accused of." The Prosecutor said.

"We have a copy of the tape which shows Mr. Carter taking the test, and our own expert says it's being administered properly. This test was able to clearly show that Mr. Carter was not lying, is that correct?" O'Bannon asked.

"I prefer to reserve most of the details, but yes, he did take and pass a polygraph."

"The administrator was completely satisfied is that correct?" O'Bannon asked.

"Yes, he was."

"What does this mean for Jeremy Lyons, who so recently made these allegations?"

"I'm not going to discuss an open investigation at this time." The US Attorney said.

Jennifer sat in front of the television smiling widely. Bill had beat Jeremy again.

Monica sat in front of her own television smiling. Bill had headed the posse off at the pass, and beaten them.

Jeremy sat and stared at the television. The phone was unplugged. It had begun ringing off the hook hours ago as news of the interview got out. First the O'Bannon show, then every other reporter was calling. Jeremy sat and shook with rage and fear. Carter had beat him again.

Jeremy had unplugged the phone and started doing lines of coke to try and help himself think. It was painfully obvious quickly that Carter had pulled some trick, and now the whole world was looking at him and that was not a good environment in which to sell narcotics, the only truth he told the Feds.

"Mr. Dexter, as I understand it, Scooter Libby was given 30 months for lying to investigators, do you think you'll pursue a similar case against Jeremy Lyons?" O'Bannon asked.

Jeremy stared in horror at the television as the Prosecutor refused to discuss an open investigation again. Jesus, Carter was willing to bankrupt himself to get me? Is he fucking nuts? No piece of ass is worth what this will cost him. For a big shot like Carter, it had to be five, or even ten million dollars.

The US Attorney again said he couldn't comment to the follow up question.

O'Bannon showed a clip of the video of Bill Carter being polygraphed. The administrator asked. "Have you in the last ten years, had any sexual relations, of any sort, with a minor?"

On the tape Carter said. "No." The needles didn't move much.

They discussed the nature of the question, and the result that the machine said that Bill was telling the truth. Finally they showed one of the test questions, to determine his response to telling a lie. "Are you currently in a relationship with farm animals." The needles went haywire when he answered yes.

Finally O'Bannon said. "I understand from your attorney and this tape that your assertion that your partners have all been fully consensual. Also all participants are not only adults, over 18, but all over the age of 21, is that correct?"

Bill smiled and said. "Yes, you see little prepubescent girls don't interest me at all Bill. I'm a grown up, and prefer my dates to be grown up."

"Then the reports which we aired on this show, of you tying up and molesting children is absolutely false." O'Bannon asked.

"Absolutely. The FBI, and the US Attorney are both completely satisfied." Carter said with a sizable grin.

"Obviously the reason you came on Television was to assure the American People right?" O'Bannon asked next.

"Certainly. You see, little men like this Jeremy Lyons love to feel important. Some sort of ego deficiency I guess. Anyway he needed to feel important and decided to target me. Next thing you know he'll be claiming that Aliens abducted him, or my publisher is a closet lesbian, or god only knows what about my administrative assistant."

Bill Carter shifted slightly and then said. "If I may Bill, I've also been interviewed by you before, and have watched your show regularly for years. While I may disagree with you at times, I've found you to be fair, and honest. If you make a mistake, you make every effort to clear it up, demonstrating that you really are guided by your conscience."

Jeremy feeling trapped stepped to his window to look out and was immediately blinded by bright lights. The reporters had set up outside his house and were shouting questions through the window. Jeremy scrambled to the coffee table where his cocaine stash was sitting. He'd been doing lines all day, and was good and wired. Too wired. He grabbed his pistol, a cheap .32 and scrambled around trying to think. He knew the Feds would be after him any time now. He needed time to think and time to get away.

He slipped to the front window again and looked out. He saw two police cars stopping in front of his house with their lights flashing.

Sergeant Jacobs directed Officer Myers, both answering a radio dispatch from the traffic division of the police department. Sergeant Jacobs job was simple, to get these press people in some semblance of order. They had three vans parked in the fucking street for Christ's sake.

Jacobs took one look at the house. More to familiarize himself with the layout of the area he was trying to control, to get a view of the big picture, then to assess the house.

Jeremy saw this and panicked even more. The cops were ready to rush him now. They would lock him up for fifty years with all the drugs he had in the house. The cop in the second car was actually trying to be slick taking a glance at the house. Jeremy had seen the movies; he knew how tricky cops could be.

Making a quick decision that he could easily shoot his way clear, there were only two cops, and Jeremy was feeling like superman right now. Nothing could stop him.

Jeremy turned from the edge of the window to get a clear shot at the slick cop by the car and aimed the pistol. He fired one round at the slick cop. The front window exploded outwards, the first shot deflected by the shattering glass. Sergeant Jacobs dove for cover behind his patrol car. Myers was on the sidewalk telling the press to get behind cover as he crouched down. "Get down, get the fuck down."

Jacobs drew his service weapon and stuck his head around the end of the car to get a view of the shooter as he called on the microphone clipped to his shoulder epilate for assistance. "Traffic 27, Shots fired my location. Repeat shots fired at police. Request immediate assistance." Sergeant Jacobs didn't hear the response knowing it would be a repeat of what he had just said, and requesting all available units to respond to the shots fired at his location.

Myers was closer, and had a better angle on the window. He drew his weapon, issued by the department, and aimed at the figure inside. Screaming at the top of his voice as the figure started to turn towards him. "Police, drop the gun right now, drop it."

Jeremy was convinced he had shot the first cop and killed him, just like in the movies.

Myers hesitated. This idiot couldn't actually think he was going to shoot it out with the cops. Myers tried to convince himself that the suspect was just turning to obey the command. Myers finger wanted to pull the trigger, but his mind screamed no, and Jeremy fired again. The bullet impacted the van behind Myers. Myers didn't hesitate any longer. He pulled his trigger twice. Sergeant Jacobs fired once.

Two of the three rounds stuck Jeremy in the chest. The third missed wide to Jeremy's left. The first one, a 9mm fired by Officer Myers entered low on his left side and passed through Jeremy's lower ribs and punctured his lung.

Sergeant Jacobs carried a .45 Glock. His bullet entered almost dead center in Jeremy's chest. The bullet, a hollow point expanded as it entered, and traveled through the chest exiting out his back. It passed through his main artery carrying blood from the heart. It severed it cleanly. Jeremy had moments left to live as the pistol he held dropped from his fingers.

Jeremy fell backwards, his body feeling as if a large and unforgiving fist had punched it. Myers was running, racing to the front door. Kicking it in as he arrived to secure the scene. The Press was right behind him, charging in to see the blood and scene of the death.

O'Bannon was interrupted in the middle of his follow on question by a voice in his ear. Grabbing the earpiece he hesitated and then spoke. "We're being told that there has been a shooting at the house of Jeremy Lyons."

Bill blinked several times and then got very pale. He shook his head as if answering some question somewhere. Everyone on camera looked shocked at the interruption.

"First reports are that the Police showed up outside of his house, and someone opened fire on him. We're going live to the newsroom now." O'Bannon said in response to the voice in his ear. The Camera's red light went out, and he was off the air. Turning to his Producer he shouted. "Get us some video of that for Christ's sake."

Bill sat back and exhaled audibly. "Jesus, what the hell was he thinking?"

Dexter glared at Bill and then turned to Simmons, and glared at him. Finally he took the microphone off and walked from the studio set.

Bill and Simmons followed him, removing the Make Up and then stepping out to the parking lot. Dexter was there waiting.

"Mr. Carter, I'm going to assume you knew nothing about this right?" Dexter asked angrily.

"Mr. Dexter, I'm going to assume that you aren't trying to suggest that my client possesses some sort of ability to see the future. That's a tool of fiction writers, not something we have in real life." Simmons said.

Bill said. "Dexter, if I was that good, I'd be employed by Exxon to overthrow whole governments instead of writing mysteries." Suddenly Bill looked at the heavens. "I wouldn't write something like this, it's too unbelievable. Who would have thought the little shit would try and shoot it out with the cops while I was on TV? It's insane. I hoped he would perhaps run to Canada, or flee his home. Who the fuck is dumb enough to shoot it out with the cops?"

Dexter stared at him for a long time and then turned to Simmons. "No sir, I'm not suggesting your client did any such thing." Turning back to Bill he said. "Mr. Carter, I'm going to suggest that you never again appear in my office." Then he turned and walked to his Government Issue Ford.

Simmons reached inside his jacket and pulled an envelope out. "Here you go Bill, you passed the polygraph, and so this belongs to you."

Bill took it knowing what it was. He shook Jon's hand and then turned to go to his own car.

"Bill, I'd like to talk to you about some things sometime, perhaps in a few weeks when this blows over. Could I call you later?"

Bill turned with a small smile on his face. "Sure Jon, anytime."

Bill got into his own Subaru, and left the lot with one eye on the rear view mirror. The Press was paralyzed at the moment, shifting gears from him to Jeremy and then they'll shift back to him. He figured he could make one quick stop before he got home, if he didn't dawdle too long, and if he checked to make sure he wasn't followed.

James let him into the farm two hours and many back roads later. "Bill, you look like hell, are you all right?"

Bill nodded and kissed Sarah on the cheek. Then he sat and filled them in on the details.

"Monica called us and told us what you were up to, I tried to call you but your phone's been off." James said.

Bill nodded and explained about what he had to agree to in order to get the Fed's help on the Polygraph. Then he handed over the envelope.

James held it and raised an eyebrow. "Only your attorney knows about this?"

Bill nodded. "Attorney Client privilege prevents him from telling anyone, and I think we'll like him later. Perhaps you should have someone contact him."

James nodded slowly understanding what Bill was saying. Then he opened the envelope and read the pages inside. He folded the pages and looked at Bill. "This was risky."

"Yeah, so much could still go wrong. I'm not going to be able to come for a couple months. Until the press decides that Britney Spears isn't wearing a bra or something else fascinating. Even then, I'm going to have to keep a low profile for a while to protect this place." Bill said.

"Bill, what you've done, we can't thank you enough." Sarah said looking worried.

Bill shook his head. "I love you guys, and this place, I couldn't risk it's being discovered, that would destroy it, and us all."

Bill rose to leave and paused as James shook his hand. Sarah said. "Bill you look exhausted. Please stay tonight, you can head home in the morning."