The Car

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She opened the picnic basket whilst Adam went next door to get two cans of lemonade, and laid the food out on paper plates on a spare table standing against a wall.

"That looks good."

"I hope you like it"

"Sure to. Let's tuck in."

Nadine ate and listened as Adam ate and talked. He told her about his ambition to own a string of model shops, and when she looked puzzled and asked why he had closed this one down, he explained the lease had expired and he was moving to much larger premises. He had bought them outright from the profits of this first one. She learned that he was single with no girlfriend and no wife. That he had been working too hard to have a decent social life. "Why do I feel so pleased?" she thought. And she learned that he owned a small one-bedroom apartment not far away.

"Hey listen to me," he said, "I'm talking nineteen to the dozen and haven't given you a chance to get a word in edgeways."

"There's not much to tell really. I've got a son. But you know that. I was divorced a couple of years ago and…" Nadine found herself talking about herself almost non-stop. More than she had ever done to a stranger before. 'But,' she thought, 'he's so easy to talk to.' As they talked their way through the cheese they became closer until sometimes their hands would brush against each other. And once when he made her giggle she leant briefly against him.

The eating and the talking eventually came to and end and Nadine realised, with a small feeling of reluctance that it was time for her to go.

They said goodbye to each other and she said she would be back the next day and would bring another picnic meal. He said great, the model will be finished by then and you'll be able to take it home with you. Going home she felt a bit light-headed and she recognised the feeling of happiness and she knew why she was happy.

'Don't be daft,' she said to herself, 'he probably doesn't think of you that way at all. Still it's nice to dream." And she smiled contentedly to herself.

That night she hardly slept a wink.

She decided to make a small flan for Adam's lunch and the morning soon passed whilst she worked. Adding a salad for them both and some more cheese and two flavoured yoghurts she soon found herself outside the shop for the final time.

"Hi", said Adam as he let her in, "follow me Madame." She went with him to the back room where she saw a clean white sheet covering an object on the workbench. "You've done it!," she exclaimed excitedly. "Oh Adam I really don't know how to thank you enough. Let's have a look at it then…"

"Hey, hey, hey," he chuckled, "we've got to do this properly." And he gave her an empty plastic beaker into which he poured some champagne from a bottle she saw on the spare table. "Why thank you kind sir," she said getting into the spirit of the occasion. "Ready? Good. Well here we go then. 'M'Lords, Ladies an' Genlem'n, I hereby name this car Tornado'." And with a flourish he pulled the sheet away from the model.

Nadine was astounded. It was nothing like the models she had seen over at the park. It seemed bigger. More powerful. More…finished. Painted in bright yellow with black racing stripes down the sides it looked as though it could easily have a life of its own.

"Why it's even got a little man behind the steering wheel!" she exclaimed with glee thinking of Joshua's face when he saw this magnificent machine.

"Umm, well yes. I added a few bits and pieces of my own, oh and I made the engine just a leeetle bit more powerful. Nothing's too much for your son on his birthday eh?"

"Oh thank you, thank you Adam he'll be over the moon at this. It's way beyond his wildest dreams I'm sure."

Adam looked pleased and a little embarrassed. "Well it was nothing really. And it gave me something to do these last couple of days and I enjoyed doing it, I really did. Anyway now Tornado's been duly christened, though Joshua can make his own name up for it if he wants, I think it's time we put her to bed. Ready for her big day tomorrow."

Nadine agreed and the car was placed carefully into a special box that Adam had provided, 'I would never have thought of that' said Nadine, and the box wrapped in 'Happy Birthday' paper, 'nor that' she added, they sat down to enjoy the food.

The time passed as enjoyably as it had done the day before but as the meal came to an end Nadine felt a sadness knowing that this was probably the last time they would ever see each other. 'I can't let it end like this', she thought, 'I just can't'. Then taking the bull by the horns she faced Adam and said… "I was wondering…"

"I was wondering…" Adam was saying simultaneously. They both laughed. "After you," said Adam, "Ladies first."

"Well I was wondering whether you would like to join us at the park tomorrow." There she had said it. "It's Joshua's day I know but I thought if you had time you may like to see how well Tornado performs."

"I was going to ask you the self same thing." Adam said. "I won't interfere with you or Josh of course. But any creator likes to see how well their creations work!"

"Oh no. Of course you must join us. But in the beginning I'll introduce you as a friend. I'm sure that Josh won't mind and anyway he'll be too wrapped up winning all the races to worry much about anything else."

"I'd really like that," said Adam and Nadine saw the absolute delight in his eyes. 'Oh God,' she thought, 'is this really happening to me?' "But if it looks as though Joshua objects in any way at all, then I'll just say goodbye and leave, OK?"

"OK" replied Nadine. The meal over and the car placed in a carrier bag she was soon on her way home.

That night she didn't sleep at all.

Birthday. Nine years old. Postman. Cards. Presents. A special breakfast of chocolate ice-cream "I'll get him something more substantial later." She promised herself. And the alimony cheque.

At the sight of it Nadine felt a small pang of guilt over Adam but she brushed it off quickly. She knew Leroy had been in a relationship for nearly a year. There was a card and a postal order for £10 for Joshua and a promise that Leroy would be seeing him next week when he returned from Europe. Joshua didn't seem to mind. He knew his Dad had an important job and travelled a lot.

Then came The Car…

Taking a leaf from Adam's book Nadine put on a show, "M'Lords, Ladies…." By the end Joshua was holding his side. His giggling had brought on a stitch.

Then Nadine gave him his present.

She watched anxiously. She was nervous. She didn't know why but she wanted this particular gift to be absolutely correct.

Joshua, with the box on his knees, carefully lifted the lid and peered inside. Silence. Too long a silence. 'God,' thought Nadine 'he doesn't like i….'

"YAAAiiiiiiii! OH YESSSS! YESSSS! YESSSS! OH MUM, IT'S GREAT…" his treble screamed out around the kitchen, "oh muuummm!"

Nadine laughed. His joy and excitement made everything worthwhile and whilst he took the car out of the box and carefully looked at it, turning it over and over in his small hands, "hey mum, look, look, LOOK MUM! There's a man behind the steering wheel and look at that engine. Mum…mum…LOOK!" She got their coats, put hers on and helped him with his.

Then they left the house, crossed the road and entered the park gates.

They went along the wide asphalt path leading to the racetrack and she looked anxiously for Adam. Her heart dropped like a stone. He wasn't there! Suddenly the day seemed less bright, less fun. She saw the other children beginning to gather for the first race and she heard their arguments about who was going to stand where and who had any sweets. Maybe he'd got held up somewhere or maybe he had changed his mind. Her thoughts were heavy. Then out of the corner of her eye she saw his tall, figure walking towards the track from the East Gate Entrance and once again her heart started beating rapidly and a broad grin appeared on her face.

"Put the car down for me mum," said Josh, "I want to drive it up to the others."

She did what he asked and walked quickly behind him as he sped towards the crowd, following The Car in his electric wheelchair as fast as he could go.

Nadine felt happy.

12