The Chaos Blade

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bad ass!" Bill commented, now heading forward again. Elvanshalee glanced at him with her head tilted, trying to figure out the odd expression. Not even shrugging she dismissed it and resumed her walk.

Kelnozz came to a stop, Darakor falling in beside him a second later. Garrick continued onward, heading to a place in the middle of the two glaring beings. In moments the rest of the companions fell in beside the two elves.

"Why aren't they fighting?" Elvanshalee asked the grim faced elf king.

"Because they knew we would come," Darakor said.

"Is this a trap?" Yamara hissed, bringing up both her mental and physical defenses.

Kelnozz turned to look a her. He studied her for a moment, his gaze piercing her in a way that few others had ever been able to. He nodded acceptance of her before looking back.

"The pantheon is full," he said. "In order for Ancaruin to ascend someone who already possesses the divine right must be destroyed."

"Right, so why isn't he trying to kill the other guy?" She said, impatient with the reiteration of what they had all been told.

*****

"Knew my boy couldn't have all the fun of slaying you, wyrm!" Garrick called out loudly to Ancaruin, reminding the dragon of when Nordan, Kelnozz, Martin, and the metallic dragons had defeated Ancaruin centuries past. His voice reverberated with power that the watchers could all feel. Ancaruin showed no sign of having heard him, instead the dragon of mist remained glaring with glowing pools of fire at Bavorish.

"And you," Garrick said, turning to Bavorish, "Think not that I have forgotten your challenge to single combat from long ago! Pity Carson took your head before I could!"

Bavorish did show sign of recognition. He sneered and turned his gaze to Garrick. His sharply pointed red goatee and mustache twitched with the gesture. His bastard sword twitched in his hand. He raised his shield slowly to face Garrick and beckoned towards him.

*****

"The Gods may not battle one another. They fight through their worshippers," Kelnozz responded. "To assault a God is to deny your right to live under their guidance. All of them, not just a particular one."

"So Ancaruin waits for us to kill Bavorish?" Yamara asked, grasping the situation.

Elvanshalee gasped. She had figured out what Kelnozz was slowly getting around to telling them. "They will kill Garrick!"

Bill snorted at the absurdity of the situation. At that same time Garrick let fly his hammer. It crashed into Bavorish's shield with force and volume enough to sunder a mountain. When they looked back, their ears still ringing, Bavorish remained standing. His shield was split down the middle and laying at his feet, but he seemed none the worse for wear. Garrick pushed on, summoning his hammer and lifting it to do battle. Bavorish switched to grab his blade in both hands. His sneer remained plastered to his face.

"Garrick gave up his divinity long ago," Bill said, remembering what he had been told and therefore doubting Elvanshalee.

"He possesses much of his former might," Kelnozz confirmed Elvanshalee's suspicions.

Ancaruin let loose a roar then. Not one such as Luingirth might give, but a soulless keening that pierced all of them and chilled them to their bones. He rushed forward, intent on joining the combat and destroying Garrick.

Kelnozz moved then. Moved so quickly and suddenly that only Darakor was able to keep pace with him. The rest were stunned by his explosive action. He bolted forward, the signal he had needed to act had been given. Yamara reached out and read his thoughts that he wore clearly on the surface of his mind for any to see.

"We must help Kelnozz! Ancaruin must not be allowed to help!" She said, moving forward without thought to her actions or the consequences thereof.

"Fight that?" Bill asked, staring at the undulating mist that formed the shape of a dragon.

"Come, human, if you would love her then die for her," Elvanshalee said to him before she too ran forward.

Bill glanced back at where Luingirth towered protectively over Alesha. Protectively or, he realized with a clenching of his stomach, ready to act should she give in to Bavorish. He ran forward too, brandishing his axe and finding himself no longer afraid of what might happen.

*****

Garrick and Bavorish traded strikes mighty enough to fell the greatest of trees in a single blow, yet neither tired of their parries and their wounds healed almost as quickly as they were received. The battle seemed one that would last until the very end of time, so dedicated and mighty were they.

Kelnozz leapt at Ancaruin, slashing into the mist that was his body with his blades extended. Llarothimaril glowed brightly with a white light when it pierced the cloud of smoke. Cirithallion, wielded by Darakor beside him, possessed an unearthly reddish light in contrast. Kelnozz held his ground, cutting deeply with each swing. The mist hissed and was destroyed with passing of Llarothimaril and it clung to Cirithallion as the once evil blade tore the magic that bound it together apart.

Ancaruin turned to behold Kelnozz and glared at him hatefully. "You can not slay me, elf king!" The dragon said in a cold voice that spoke of eternal suffering and torment.

A bolt of lightning stabbed into and through Ancaruin then, disrupting a small amount of the mist but doing little permanent damage in spite of the might of the magical spell Elvanshalee had unleashed. Yamara and Bill were there then as well, cutting through the mist as though it was only air. Bill's axe did nothing but pass through the mist with no effect to it. Yamara's, on the other hand, managed to cause tiny gouts of mist that looked reminiscent of blood with each of her thrusts. They did little damage but the distraction was enough, for now Ancaruin realized that, small and insignificant as they were, the little people that fought him had to be dealt with. Ancaruin recoiled from where he had dropped Darakor to the ground and faced the new threat.

Ancaruin reached for Kelnozz with a ghostly arm, trying to grip him as it might have once done when it was alive. Kelnozz dodged the attack and lashed out at the arm, feeling the unnerving cold of the mist as it narrowly passed him by.

"I need not slay you, only slow you," Kelnozz spat out at Ancaruin.

The undead dragon looked at him, it's fiery red eyes widening at the realization of what they were doing. It roared again it's keening cry and lashed out more furiously. Elvanshalee, who had just finished chanting her next spell that sent a stream of frost into the dragon's flank, was caught unaware by the dragon's swipe. She went down, shivering and struggling to breath as it passed through her and left her physically unharmed. She gasped for breath and tried to raise herself back up, knowing that failure for any of them meant failure for all.

Seeing his sister dropped caused Darakor no emotion whatsoever. She had been gone for too many years and he had never been close to her. To long she had taken after their mother, to long he had seen the weakness within them called compassion. Thus it was that he was not the least bit distracted by her falling, Cirithallion and his twin sword carved into the magic mist that comprised Ancaruin's body.

"And you, elf pawn, you have been my creature from the beginning! Come back to me now!" Ancaruin threw himself onto Darakor, his body to large for the light elf to evade. Darakor was crushed to the ground by the enveloping body. Ancaruin had no physical form of his own, but the magic that bound him to the world of the living struck as though he were made of stone.

Between Garrick and Bavorish, the battle continued. Garrick's strength was greater and his fury stronger. Bavorish had the edge in power, however, and no matter how quickly Garrick's wounds healed, he had given up his right to be a God long ago. Bavorish healed faster. His strength would not fail. And he could do little things like summoning up the wind to stir the sand up and around Garrick so quickly and painfully that it flayed at his flesh, leaving it angry and bleeding in spite of his rejuvenative powers.

Only 50 yards away Ancaruin swatted at each of his assailants, sending all but Kelnozz falling to the ground at one point or another, though they would all struggle to their feet against the chill of death that tried to work its way into their hearts. It would only be a matter of time, Ancaruin was too mighty an opponent to be felled with only the weapons they held.

Bill, knowing his axe was of no use against Ancaruin, took the moment to glance over his shoulder towards where Garrick battled Bavorish. The glance cost him, for Ancaruin chose that moment to focus on him. He turned back just in time to fall to the ground in an attempt to avoid the strike. Like Elvanshalee, he felt the fiery chill steal his strength and his breath. His skin broke out in a fevered sweat and his bones felt a numbing coldness within them.

"Help Garrick, you can do no good here!" Elvanshalee hissed, still reeling from the effects of Ancaruin's glancing blow on her.

He scrambled to his feet further away from Ancaruin and cast a glance at the remaining three giving battle to the evil cloud of sentient mist. Then he moved towards where Bavorish and Garrick were doing battle. Bavorish saw him coming towards him but spared him no more then a glance, for it cost him a blow to his side from Garrick's hammer. A blow that would have crumpled a mortal man in half, yet only made him grunt at the impact. He smashed the hammer aside and slashed across with his sword, cutting deeply into the muscle of Garrick's shoulder.

Garrick recoiled, snarling at the injury. The initial burst of blood slowed to a drip and then stopped altogether quickly, but every injury lessened his strength and he knew it. Bill and Eric both hurried forward, not knowing what help they could offer the warrior, but knowing they must do something, for Bavorish doubled the fury of his attacks, apparently concerned at the thought of facing three opponents instead of one. On the shores of the Isle of Gods, little to their knowledge, all things were mortal.

*****

Alesha found herself alone at a forgotten river-side campsite. She gasped as she remembered the locale and knew she was having a dream. Or worse.

"Come back to me, child, and I will help you."

In the same spot as before stood the same man who had made a similar offer to her so long ago. He looked different this time though. His hair remained wavy but was red instead of brown. His face sported the sharply trimmed mustache and goatee of similar color. Instead of brown robes he wore magnificent looking gleaming black plate mail.

"Bavorish!" Alesha hissed, scrambling away from him defensively. She caught a glimpse of her arm and looked down at herself. She too, looked different. She wore her gifted armor and carried her sword at her side.

"Yes, I am he," the God said to her. "And together you and I stand on the brink of a new Viconia. I came here long ago with Ancaruin and helped to bring life to this world. It was my greatest creation, an entire world with which to conduct my experiments."

"But something went wrong, you see," he continued. "Elves, orcs, humans, dwarves, trolls, ogres, even halflings. They are possessed of free will and such a desire to succeed, they rebelled against my supremacy, if only in private.

"Thus it was that when strangers from another world arrived at the request of a meddling wizard who I long ago destroyed, they were aided. They slipped through my defenses and challenged me directly. Through their treachery this brought about the freeing of Viconia. The races could choose their own destiny more freely, and all of us were ascended to Gods."

Bavorish's smile turned darker. "That fool Garrick ha denied the power he once had. I will destroy him, of that you may be certain. Think of the challenge and hardship he has given you. Join me again and feel the satisfaction of watching that fool destroyed!"

Alesha shook her head, though inside she felt her will bending. At his powerful words she felt herself remembering how Garrick, masquerading as Helmut, had denied her time and again when she had him imprisoned. How he had mocked her. She remembered her outrage and frustration at his denials. Alesha felt her nails biting into her palms as she clenched her fists at her sides tightly. She gasped and hugged her arms about herself tightly.

"Join with me and watch Garrick destroyed! Ancaruin too, if you desire it. He may ascend or be destroyed, it is no consequence to me. Though with him again aiding me we can rule this world again!"

"Either way, a vacuum is filled. One must ascend to rule this world. It can be yours, all the power you had before and more! To be Empress of Viconia, imagine the power!"

Visions swam in Alesha's mind. She saw herself on the back of her old steed, worshipped and revered wherever she went. Such was Bavorish's poison that she did not see the fear in the eyes of those who knelt at her feet. She shook her head, remembering Kelnozz and what he would want of her.

Bavorish barked out a harsh laugh. "You would cling to him, the elf king? Ha! He has denied you! He has his responsibility to his race and his people, so he claims, and none to you. Is that a consort worthy of the affections of the Queen of an entire world?"

Alesha wavered then. She knew that Bavorish spoke a twisted version of the truth. Kelnozz did have responsibilities to others, but what she felt for him... What they could have together...

"Become my champion and I will make him your consort, if you must have him still. The elves will be your servants. All of the world will be yours to command!"

Alesha gasped. More images and visions rushed through her. She saw Kelnozz sitting beside her on a throne, though his was slightly lowered to hers. His eyes were only for her though, while elves, both dark and light, brought them food and wine and entertainment. Gone was the haughty nature of the elves. In it's place was subservience. They had been taught a lesson and things were as they should be.

"You have twisted but a glimpse of what I can give you, my child, don't you yearn to feel the warmth again?"

Alesha gasped. She did remember the heat of power filling her. The heat of purpose. Lately she had only hardship and stubbornness to guide her. Her greatest assets, her magic, had been gone. She had felt alone and abandoned and cold. So very cold.

*****

Luingirth stared down at Alesha, one mighty hand raised above her in preparation should she lose her fight. His vigilance served him well, for her eyelids snapped open suddenly. Her eyes showed only the whites, the rest had rolled back into her head. Luingirth snorted and drove his palm down, preparing to end her life in order to save them all.

Alesha through up one arm, palm open and shimmering with power. In spite of his size and in spite of his weight, Luingirth flew up into the air, yanked away by her magic. Her other hand twisted around in a loop and then made a pulling notion. Luingirth's mouth, which had just began to open so he could spit out a bolt of electricity at her, clamped shut, bound by mystical ropes. Alesha rose up from the ground then, turning to face Garrick and Bavorish.

"Shit," Bill said, trailing off as he saw Alesha coming towards him walking swiftly and deliberately. Her hand raised up and gestured towards Garrick. A beam of black energy shot out from her hand. It caught Garrick in the side just as he raised his hand and propelled him forcefully all the way into the side of the castle, 20 yards away.

Garrick grunted when he hit the castle and slumped to the ground. He glanced down at his side and saw the wound where the beam of destructive energy had hit him. The flesh and muscle was torn and shredded where it was not missing altogether. His ribs shone brightly in the scant daylight that remained. He spat on the ground and stumbled to his feet.

"That's going to cost you," he said through clenched teeth. The muscle began to reform, knitting itself anew over his side. It progressed slowly at first, then more rapidly as it closed itself.

Alesha turned towards Bill. Bavorish grinned triumphantly, his champion had returned. Alesha made a gesture and a line in the sand shot forth towards Bill. Sand erupted up from it, exploding with great force. Trailing behind it flames burst from the ground. Reaching Bill so quickly that he had no time to react, it divided in half and circled him, showering him with hot particles of sand and then trapping him within a ring of fire that rose 8 feet into the air and burned more fiercely then any he had ever felt.

*****

Kelnozz glimpsed the events behind them and cursed. His near distraction nearly cost him dearly. He had to execute a leap of epic proportions to clear Ancaruin's swing fist. He landed behind it, knowing he had a scant few seconds to act before the dragon would be on him again.

"Go!" The elf called out. "Help them against Alesha, Luingirth failed!"

"And so shall you all fail, elf!" Ancaruin's chilling voice grated. Kelnozz ground his teeth together and ignored the dragon's words, focusing instead of lunging back in and attacking more fiercely.

Darakor, his body and mind aching from the attack Ancaruin had leveled him with earlier, laughed weakly as he fought beside Kelnozz. Kelnozz spared him no glance, but did ask in a harsh voice, "About to betray us again?"

Darakor spat out some blood before replying, "not this time, Kelnozz. This time I laugh at the irony of my life. We fight again, side by side."

"Worry not, Darakor, I will have enough left for you when we are done here!" Kelnozz vowed.

Yamara glanced back and saw the ring of flames surrounding Bill. She glanced back and saw that Ancaruin had taken note of her distraction. Yamara remembered Sandala in the last moment before Ancaruin's open maw would snap shut on her. She remembered how the sand elf had created a bubble in the dust of the great basin they had gone through to find the magical portal that had taken her and Brina away to Malatoria. Clinging to that hope she crossed her arms above her and ducked her head. Ancaruin's mighty jaws came crashing shut on her. Instead of being wrapped in the red mist that would have burned her life away her psionic bubble kept the mist at bay. She could feel and here Ancaruin's aggravation. He reared back and away from her just in time, for maintaining the force field with her mind drained her of the ability to focus and concentrate.

Elvanshalee had refused to turn from the dragon. She figured that Yamara would help the human, and that might buy them enough time. If Alesha had regained her power they would be hard pressed to defeat her alone, let alone with Ancaruin and Bavorish as well to contend with. Kelnozz had defeated Alesha on his own before, but if any of the rumors she had heard were true, she suspected this time it would be a different story. Elvanshalee growled in frustration and evoked another spell that sent streams of air so chilled it turned to frost into the great dragon's side.

Yamara stumbled back and away from Ancaruin, careful not to turn her back to him. When far enough away she turned fully and started running towards the wall of flames that separated her from Bill.

*****

Alesha passed through the ring of flames as though they were only an illusion. The fingers of fire caressed her body as she stepped through, leaving no sign or feeling in their wake. Within two steps she was through them and looking at Bill as in the middle of the flames circling slowly looking for an opening.

Alesha, her eyes still rolled back into her head, raised her hand up, her fingers twisting into a pained claw from which a dark smoke reached out. The tendrils of smoke went straight to him and wrapped around his body, pinning his arm to his side. Bill felt the constricting pressure and struggled against it. Alesha wrapped her hand around the smoke like a rope and, with a flick of her arm, she sent Bill crashing to the ground.