The Conner Family Ch. 03

Story Info
Her past accident still haunts her.
6.5k words
4.66
17.5k
15

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 12/03/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

Chapter 03

Nightmares Of A Broken Promise

It was a beautiful day, thought Navy Captain Jennifer Ann Conner as she sat looking up at the nearly clear blue sky on this mid May morning. Yes, a good day to go flying, she decided. She snorted. Any day was a good day to fly. Except during thunderstorms, she corrected herself.

That was not fun at all she had to admit thinking of her previous experiences. Like landing on a pitching carrier deck, during a thunderstorm, at night. That was more of a nightmare, she thought shaking her head, remembering the three times she had to do that.

She sighed. Conner felt refreshed and relaxed after four weeks of leave at home. She had then returned to Florida for training on some new upgraded electronics on the Navy's jet fighters.

She wiggled in her seat to make sure the straps were all tight and secure. She took a deep breath, testing the airflow through the mask. Then she scanned the instruments again. Good to go, she thought.

She was sitting in her F-18 Hornet waiting for the tower to give them clearance to take off. They were currently on hold, waiting on the runway for the cross traffic to land, a flight of eight newly assigned Hornets and then a carrier transport. And only two of the eight Hornets had landed. They were spread out about two to four minutes apart.

Must be new-bies, she thought.

She looked down the runway and watched the heat generated mirages shimmer. The air-conditioned cockpit helped against the early spring heat wave.

"Diamond Two to Diamond One," came the male voice of her wing-man, Horse. Who went with the real name of Lieutenant Commander Chuck Cooper.

"Diamond One," she replied. "What's up, Horse?"

"If they keep us here much longer, we're going to need a refueling."

Conner smiled. "Yep, I hear you." She again glanced at her fuel gauges. "If we go below three quarters. We scrub."

"Yeeeah," returned Horse slowly. "I do so hate flying on fumes."

"I hear ya," sighed Conner, darkly remembering that one landing she had made with low fuel. Their refueling tanker had to return to the carrier due an engine problem. The backup tanker wasn't even on the flight deck. So, as they approached the carrier she had the members of her squadron line up according to how much fuel they had, with lowest first.

Then, after landing last on the carrier, the engines of her fighter had cut out before she could taxi down the flight deck.

Another male voice spoke up, "Hey boss, I think there's an SP out here writing us a parking ticket."

Conner snickered, her dark memories evaporating. That was Horse's RIO or Radar Intercept Officer also called the weapon's officer, Lt. Frank Davis.

A female voice came from behind her. "Last time we waited this long we got booted." It was Conner's RIO, Lt. Alice Sweet.

"How'd you pay the fine?" asked Davis.

Sweet replied, "I traded in Horse's, jeep."

There was a burst of laughter. "So that's were my jeep went," said Horse.

"Tower to Diamond Flight, cut the chatter."

Conner chuckled. Her thoughts went to how well the four of them worked as a team. The other half of her squadron, the other two Hornet crews would be flying this afternoon. Why they were not all flying together was up to Command. And they did not explain.

"Sweet, you all set back there?" asked Conner, looking up into the small mirror to see the helmeted head of Sweet, sitting behind her in the cramped confines of the cockpit of the Hornet.

Sweet gave her a thumbs-up saying, "All set, Bitch." She then chuckled "I really love that name."

Conner smiled. "So do I."

"What a pair," said Sweet. "Bitch and Sweet."

Conner chuckled. "We do okay." `Bitch.' That was her call sign once she was in the fighter. Distinctive individual call signs were becoming tough to get. She had picked hers after her flight instructor had told her that if she would settle down and listen to him and paid real good attention she would be a `bitch' of a pilot.

She did. And she was. Attested to her by her twenty three years of service, having the rank of Captain, the 346 successful combat missions and her high carrier rating.

She smiled. Remembering that one for real dog fight she had been involved in.

It had involved the three out of four Iranian fighter jets that penetrated too close to the Carrier Group when they entered the Carrier's protective bubble. It was while she and Horse were flying air patrol during their last deployment in the Arabian Sea. It had occurred at their closest approach to Iran, two hundred miles off shore in international waters.

The approaching Iranian pilots had been repeatedly warned off, she remembered, and she had even buzzed them. Yet all four pilots had stayed on course, straight towards the carrier. And she had verified that all four were loaded with missiles and other ordnance.

Then she got the go to splash any of them that went past the 100-mile limit. The entire Carrier Group had gone on high alert.

Meanwhile the Carrier was scrambling other jets for intercept. No one was taking a chance of a suicide-minded pilot, never mind four of them, getting within range of any of the ships.

She did as ordered.

Conner remembered that it had been an interesting few minutes, that dogfight. Even before they had crossed the 100-mile line she got up behind the fighters and Sweet got a weapons lock on the lead fighter. She then gave them one last verbal warning.

Which, they ignored.

Then they crossed the line.

The rear Iranian pilot decided to take her and Horse on, or was ordered to. And he made the mistake of attempting to loop around over them. Perhaps he did not think a female pilot could or would even dare go against him.

Conner didn't wait and launched a missile at the lead Iranian jet that was already painted as a target.

She remembered that at the same time she had ordered Horse to take the single jet while she went after the other two who increased speed.

The three remaining Iranian jets split up and she went after the closest fighter. Sweet was quickly able to get a lock and Conner launched another missile after it.

Then, not waiting, Conner turned after the third.

The lead Iranian jet became a flaming fireball that spiraled down into the sea.

"One down," stated Sweet.

"Two down," reported Horse.

Conner continued chasing the remaining Iranian.

"Confirmed, three down," stated Sweet.

"Paint his ass, Sweet," said Conner, staying with that last racing Iranian as he bobbed up and down and twisted about, trying to keep her from getting a weapons lock. She kept after him.

"He's good," muttered Sweet.

Then Conner heard the tone indicating target lock at the same time she saw it on the heads-up display and she fired a third missile.

"But we're better," returned Conner as she took their fighter in a tight turn to stay with the Iranian.

Ahead of her the Iranian did a triple roll trying to throw her off and the missile.

But, still she kept after him. That pilot really began to twist and dodge trying to both avoid getting hit and to get closer to the Carrier.

"I have a lock," reported Sweet.

Conner was ready to fire off a second missile at the remaining fighter when there was a sudden burst of flame and smoke from the rear of that last jet. Then there was a secondary explosion as the jet's fuel tanks added to the explosion about five hundred yards ahead of them.

Flaming wreckage rained down into the sea.

"Still at 71 miles," reported Sweet.

"Secure weapons," ordered Conner.

"Nice," came Horse's voice. "Coming up on your left. Bitch."

She looked over at him and he had his thumb up.

"Tango Flight to Home Plate," she reported, "The Bitch says the sky is clear. Four splashed. Repeat four splashed."

Her wing man `Horse' made sure the entire ship knew she had splashed three of the bad guys before they had returned.

Then `Bitch' and company got a nice reception on their return. It was not like the movie with Tom Cruise in `Top Gun.' No music or a mob of crew-members rushing across the busy flight deck, but it was okay.

It never bothered her either, killing those pilots. She was doing her duty. She was protecting the ships and the thousands of her fellow crew-members in the Carrier Group. For whatever reason, those Iranian pilots had been just dumb ass stupid to think of even attempting to get near the group.

The event only made a splash on the news because of the complaint filed by the Iranian Government to the United Nations against the unwarranted aggression by the United States Navy.

Three weeks later she was promoted to Captain.

Then a month ago, when the Carrier Group returned home, her wing was transferred to a Naval base in Florida for more training on new electronics. She and her group took four weeks of leave and went home. And now, today, she was flying and would have the fun of dropping some laser-guided ordinance on a well-used target range.

If we ever get permission to take off, she muttered to herself, as she watched the eighth fighter land.

About two minutes later, the cargo plane landed.

"Tower, Diamond Flight you are clear for takeoff."

Conner focused back on today and checked her fuel. Still above the three quarters. "Horse, how's your fuel?"

"Fuel good, Bitch."

"Tower, this is Bitch in Diamond One, commencing take off. Horse, you with me?"

"Ready, Bitch."

"Diamond Flight commencing roll in three ... two ... one." With that Conner got the jet rolling at full power and the Hornet roared down the runway.

She loved the feeling of power and the acceleration of takeoff.

It did not take long before she reached speed and eased the fighter jet up off the runway. At twenty feet she got the landing gear up. When they were locked she brought the jet into a steeper climb. "Beginning climb."

Behind her Sweet said, "Nice takeoff. Better than a catapult."

"Yeah," agreed Conner. "But the catapult is such a rush."

"Oh! Yeah," agreed Sweet.

"Yep! Nothing like a carrier launch," added Horse.

Sweet then stated, "Diamond Flight maintain course at zero twenty five degrees. Stand by for course change at angels 15 to one niner five."

"Roger that." stated Conner.

"Diamond Two, roger," said Horse.

Conner scanned the instruments again and was satisfied all was well. Her fuel was good for this short flight and return.

It was then Conner spotted the large flock of birds. "Birds!" she called out a second before they flew through the flock. There were several impacts felt. Suddenly the windscreen before her splintered and cracked with blood, feathers and red gore.

"Shit!" she muttered. The windscreen held together but she could not see through it. The jet seemed to shudder and stall in its climb.

Alarms began to sound off in the cockpit.

"Diamond flight," she called out as she scanned the instruments. "Horse, stay clear we might be dropping parts."

Horse said, "Left rear low, going high. We're good, Bitch."

"Horse. I'm blind my windscreen's shattered and covered with bird."

Sweet called out. "Engine two is out. Attempting restart."

Then there were two more sudden loud jolts. The fighter shuddered through its airframe.

Another alarm sounded off.

Sweet called out again. "Engine one out. Both down. No restart on two. Attempting restart on one."

"Bitch," called Horse. "Your loosing fuel from your left engine."

"Sweet, cancel restart on one," snapped Conner, knowing that her leaking right engine could explode if restarted. She and Sweet could end up dead real quick.

"Roger, restart canceled," repeated Sweet. "Attempting restart on engine two."

Conner scanned her instruments. They had yet to reach 5,000 feet. She was loosing speed fast. "Diamond One, to tower. I had a Bird Strike. Say again Bird Strike. Lost both engines. We are a rock."

"Roger Diamond One. Turn right to one seven zero for emergency approach."

Sweet reported, "No restart on two."

"Negative return, Tower," stated Conner. "Repeat we are a rock." She glanced in the mirror. "Sweet, find me a clear spot. Make it a big one."

Conner scanned her instruments again. They were already loosing altitude and their speed was still dropping.

"Negative restart engine two," reported Sweet. "There! The golf course, to your left beyond the school and the trees."

Conner looked. "Anything closer?"

"There's the lake, to your right," stated Sweet.

Horse stated, "Bitch, I think the lake is too far. You'll end up in a housing project."

"Roger, Horse." Conner asked again, "Anything else?"

"Behind us, the runway," suggested Sweet.

Conner glanced at her speed and altitude. They were already down to 4,620 feet and dropping fast. "Never make it."

"The highway?" questioned Sweet.

"Can you see it?" demanded Conner. "Traffic?"

Frank Davis stated, "The highway east is a parking lot."

Horse's voice came to her. "Negative, Bitch. West has too many cars, bridges and other obstacles"

"Golf course it is." Conner eased the jet to the left and aimed towards the golf course beyond the bases' elementary school. "Tower, Diamond One we are going down. Aiming for the golf course. Horse, still can't see, give me a heading."

"Tower, Roger Diamond One. Rescue trucks on the way."

Horse's voice came to her. "Bitch, another ten left."

She watched her compass and eased the jet left.

"Looking good, Bitch."

Conner glanced up to the mirror. "Sweet! Eject! Eject! Eject!"

"See you on the ground!" stated Sweet.

Then there was the noise as the canopy blew off and the rush of wind. Followed rapidly by the sound of the ejection seat leaving the jet.

Then it was surprisingly quiet.

"Diamond Two, Tower, Diamond One, has one ejection. Rear seat," said Horse. "Ejected over the base theater."

"Tower, Roger Diamond Two. Diamond One has rear seat eject. Base theater."

Conner kept looking for a better place to put the jet down. "Horse."

"Here, Bitch."

"Still can't see. How's my heading?"

"Go five right, heavy woods then the golf course."

"Thanks, Horse," replied Conner as she made a course correction.

Just then the wind blew some of the gore off the windscreen and she was able to see somewhat through the remains of her windscreen. Conner glanced at the instruments. The jet was dropping too fast.

She began looking at the golf course beyond the wide band of trees, too far she thought and started to look for something closer.

The parking lot before the school?

Nope, she thought, knowing that after impact the jet would explode and the flaming wreckage and ordnance would likely plow right into the crowded school.

"The school parking lot," suggested Horse.

"Negative. I'll end up in a classroom," stated Conner. "Not going to be responsible for killing a bunch of kids."

"You're right," came Horse's voice. "I don't see anyplace else."

Looks like I'm going to ride you in, she thought, knowing that she could eject and let the jet fall wherever and do whatever in damage. But Conner also knew she just could not let that happen. She was responsible. Her sense of duty and up bringing would not let her.

Bitch indeed, she told herself.

"Golf course," she stated. "Horse, how's my heading?"

"Heading good. Losing altitude too fast."

She worked with the controls and got the jet heading down to gain some speed. Then she pulled up some and she cleared the school at about 310 feet. Then she spotted the trees and the homes beyond. Nope not doing that either, she decided.

"Houses," she muttered.

Horse directed, "Bank ten right, Bitch."

"Got it." She banked to the right away from the homes and brought the nose of the jet down sharply and then she had the nose pointed at the edge of the tree line. "Thanks, Horse."

Then she was only seconds from impacting.

Conner ejected.

She was pushed down into the seat as she left the fighter. Then it was quiet.

Conner watched as her fighter jet vanished into the trees with a roar of an explosion and a ball of fire erupted. She was already out of the seat and the parachute was opening. She knew she was too close to the ground. Looking down she watched as the black cloud of smoke and flame rolled up towards her. There was nothing she could do.

She muttered, "Sorry, Mom."

There was a large explosion.

The boiling ball of flames engulfed her.

Then the concussion wave hit.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Mid January the following year.

It was now nine months after the accident.

Ken woke to a scream and Jen was thrashing about in the bed.

"Jen! Jen!" He touched her arms. "Jen! Wake up!"

Her left arm came up and caught his nose hard. Blood began to flow.

"Jen!" he called.

Jen's eyes popped open and she looked up at him. "Oh, Ken," she sobbed. Sitting up she threw herself into his arms. She was breathing heavily. Crying softly.

There was a knock on the door. "Jen? Ken you okay?"

Ken sniffed trying to stop the blood to no avail. "Come in, Mom."

Sharon Conner opened the door and in the blinking Christmas lights saw Jen and Ken sitting up in bed naked. Jen was huddled in his arms.

"Light, Mom," said Ken.

Sharon flipped the switch and the overhead light came on. Then she saw the blood. "Who's hurt?" she asked stepping towards them.

"Me," replied Ken, "My nose."

Sharon turned and left the room.

Ken could feel Jen take a deep shuddering breath as she clung to him. He asked, "That dream again?"

Jen just nodded her head.

"That's the third time now," said Ken.

"I know," whispered Jen. She took another ragged breath.

Sharon came back in and sat on the end of the bed and handed Ken a washcloth. "Ice in there."

Ken nodded. "Thanks." Then he placed the ice pack against his nose.

Jen leaned away from him. "Did I do that?' It was then she realized she was naked and tried to cover herself up. "Sorry."

Sharon picked up Jen's pajama top from the end of the bed and handed it to her. "I've seen your birthday suit before. So, what's this about nightmares?"

Jen quickly slipped the pajama top on and pulled the blankets up to cover her legs. She then turned to Ken. "Did I hit you?"

"It was the dream, Jen. Not you."

"I am so sorry," sobbed Jen.

Ken touched her face with his free hand, "Jen, not your fault." He leaned toward her and kissed her forehead then placed his forehead on hers. Jen took a couple of deep breaths and visibly relaxed.

"Would you two like to join me for some hot chocolate?" Sharon looked at Jen.

Jen turned to her and nodded. "That would be nice."

Sharon nodded. "Down stairs or over in my room? We can watch something really stupid."

Jen gave her a bit of a smile. "I could use really stupid right now."

"Good." Sharon got up and walked towards the door. "Remember house rules. No bare butts in the theater."

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Jen sat on a chair after putting on her pajama bottoms. Ken, whose nose had stopped bleeding, had a sweat suit on and had just finished changing the sheets and pillow that he had dribbled blood on. There was more blood than he thought. He did not have an extra pillow.

Jen looked over at him. "I am sorry."

"I know." He looked at her. "Jennifer Ann, not your fault."

She stood and went over to him. "I find that I still depend on you for so much." She rose up on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Now you rescue me from my nightmares. How can I ever thank you?"

"Well, tomorrow how about some of your beef stew?"

"Is that all you want?" she smiled at him.

"Can I share your pillow?"

Jen stepped up to him and gave him a hug. "Of course you can. You make me feel ... so loved. How do you put up with me?"

Ken hugged her. "Jen, you are the world to me." He kissed the top her head. "I will help you through this."

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers
12