The Crusader Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rollie knocked on the door and a young, slender, blond woman answered. "Greta Reynolds?" Rollie asked. The girl nodded and he said, "I'm Rollie Chambers. I'm working for Frank Rossi to try and find out what happened to Angela."

"Frank said you'd be coming by," Greta replied.

"Can we come in?"

"Oh I'm sorry. Yes come in"

"Did you have to miss any classes to meet with me?"

"Yeah, a Poli Sci class,"

"Poli Sci?"

"Political Science," Greta explained. Her voice sounded a little angry.

"You upset at having to ditch class to talk with me Miss Reynolds? You know I could call Frank and tell him you'd rather go back to class if you like."

Greta's face got pale. "No, No, it's okay. I can get the lecture notes from one of my friends." She took a deep breath. "How can I help you, Mr. Chambers did you say?" She had recovered her poise and was treating him like one of the hired help.

Rollie smiled to himself and nodded. "Yeah, and this is Tully. He works for me."

Tully just grunted in greeting and walked around the apartment looking sinister. Greta stared at his leg for a few seconds and turned away.

"You seem nervous Miss Reynolds."

"Wouldn't you be nervous if your roommate was kidnapped from your apartment? I mean it's just her and I living here. I could be next."

"Angela was taken from the apartment? I didn't know that."

"I'm just guessing. I don't know for sure where she was." She looked nervous.

"Why did you say she was taken from here then?"

"I assumed it was here. She was here when I went out to dinner with a friend and she was gone when I got back."

"You didn't find it unusual that Angela was gone when you got home?"

"No, I thought she'd gone out herself. It wasn't until the next afternoon that I began to worry and called Frank."

"You waited until the next afternoon to call her father?"

"Yeah. I thought maybe she'd stayed overnight with a date."

"What time did you leave for dinner and when did you get back?"

"We left about 7:30 and returned after 11PM."

"Who was this guy you went to dinner with?"

"Al Woodster. He's in my second hour Econ class."

"You told Frank that Angela wasn't seeing anyone special."

Greta walked to the small kitchenette and got a bottle of water. "She wasn't dating anyone but that can change overnight you know? After all this is a college campus and people hook up all the time."

While Rollie was talking to Greta, Tully walked around the apartment. He didn't pick up anything but did stop for a second look at a couple of things plus he was gone from sight occasionally. He just kept walking around and frowned at Greta several times. Greta's head turned back and forth between Rollie and Tully, not sure she was comfortable with the big man snooping around.

"Here's my cell number Greta. Would you please call me if you think of anything else?" Rollie handed her a card, motioned to Tully and left the apartment.

Rollie and Tully got back into his truck. Parking in front of the shooting range Rollie made a call.

"Hi Jess. Come to my place for dinner tonight will you?"

"Rollie, we've talked about this. I'm not ready to spend the night at your place," Jessica said with a chuckle.

"No, not that," Rollie protested. "Well maybe that, if you insist but I'm working on a case and I'd like your input. Okay?"

"Okay," Jessica agreed. See you at 7."

"You come too please Tully."

The big man nodded and got out of the truck.

********************

Rollie Chambers, Jessica Talbert, and Jacob Tully were in Rollie's apartment after finishing a pizza and a couple of beers. During the meal, Rollie had explained to Jessica the kidnapping of Angela Rossi.

"Did you notice anything unusual in Greta's place Tully?"

"Greta said it was just her and Angela living there right? She lied. There's a man's clothes in her closet and the dresser drawers. A man's razor and shaving cream were sitting on the counter in the bathroom. She looks like a white wine type and there was a half full bottle of Wild Turkey on one of the night stands."

"Anything else?" Rollie asked with a smile. "You didn't get the guy's name did you?"

"First names Brad," Tully replied with a straight face. At Rollie's surprised look he added, "There was a crumpled up note on the floor from Greta. It said "Hey Brad" and went on to explain that she'd had to run to the bookstore and would be right back."

"I should have just sent you and stayed at home," Rollie said with a big grin.

"You told me to be observant so I ominously walked around grimacing and observed," Tully said as he chuckled.

Getting serious again Rollie said, "There's something else that bothers me about this whole deal."

"What's that?" Jessica asked.

"First the kidnappers send a note by snail mail. Then when Frank calls the next day to tell them he's got the money, just as they ordered in the note, then they wait for a few days before they contact Frank again. Now they're waiting until Monday for the money."

Jessica looked at Rollie for a few seconds digesting what he'd said. "Why does that bother you?"

"No self respecting kidnaper would give the police or Feds or in this case the Rossi's that much time. Usually kidnappers want the money right now; the sooner the better." Rollie looked at his two companions and said, "I think we're dealing with a bunch of amateurs. I think that when Frank got back to them right away they didn't know what to do. That's why the hold up; they had to figure out a place for the money drop. Like I said, amateurs."

"I worked a couple of kidnappings before I went over to the sand box," Tully offered. "That was always the problem trying to work the case; you didn't have time to investigate because of the deadline set up by the kidnappers. Mr Chambers, I think you're right sir."

"Knock off the sir bit," Rollie replied with a grin. "I work for a living." Tully laughed at the old military joke.

"What do you know about Angela?" Jessica inquired.

Rollie tossed her the file on Angela and summarized the info as Jessica read it. After a couple of minutes reading Jessica looked up as Tully started to talk.

"I talked to a couple of guys I know in the Juvenile Division," the big Sergeant said. "Angela isn't the 'angel' that her father claims. "She been arrested several times; all for minor stuff like shoplifting, joy riding, and a couple of civil disobedience beefs. Angela has been very outspoken when the police arrested her or took her in. It seems like little Miss Perfect doesn't believe she has to play by the rules like everyone else because she's Frank Rossi's kid."

"Jess what's your take on Angela Rossi," Rollie asked.

"She's from a family with a lot of money and influence. Angela doesn't believe she's the same as other people and should have special privileges. According to the facts in the file her father divorced her mother and left her broken and destitute. I believe that she dislikes, maybe even hates, her father and her uncle. After all Vito stood by and let Frank ruin her mother." Jessica stopped for a few seconds. "All and all, Angela is one messed up young woman."

"Okay gang, let's wrap this up," Rollie said. "Tully I'll probably need your help again." Tully nodded, waved goodbye and left.

"Thanks Jess. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"What no attempt to get me to stay with you?" Jessica asked with a big grin. "Who knows, you might talk me into that cup of coffee you wanted the other night."

Rollie groaned and shook his head. "I need to go see Greta again. There are a couple of inconsistencies in her story and I want to push her a little. It's only 9 and she should still be awake."

"I'll go with you," Jessica offered. "Can't let you go off after some young coed you know."

Rollie smiled and headed for the door. They made a very quick trip back to Greta's duplex. As they got out of his truck in front of the duplex, Rollie heard a woman scream.

"Get back in the truck Jess," Rollie ordered as he ran toward the building. The front door to the apartment was open and he stepped inside.

He saw a short, squat man holding Greta by the throat. "Where is she bitch? I'm not going to ask you again."

"Let her go Leo," Rollie commanded. "Don't' make me tell you a second time.

Leo Pirelli worked for Vito Rossi. He was what would be called a "soldier" by the family and a "hood" by the rest of society. Leo was a "made" man which meant he'd killed someone doing his job for his boss.

Pirelli turned his head to see who was giving him orders; he didn't let go of Greta. When he recognized Rollie he said, "You're not a cop anymore, so don't threaten me."

"No I'm not a cop anymore but that makes me more dangerous," Rollie replied. "I don't have to worry about your "Miranda Rights" or my superiors or some smart ass attorney. I can just kick your ass for the fun of it. Rollie had an evil grin on his face. "And that's not a threat, it's a promise. Let the girl go Pirelli."

He took his hands off Greta's throat and the girl sagged to the floor. Leo reached inside his jacket. Rollie reacted by instinct, pulled his Glock 21C, and pointed it at the hood.

"That hand had better be moving real slow when it comes out from under your jacket or you're gonna have a very bad day," Rollie told Pirelli. "Now nice and easy pull out your weapon with two fingers and drop it on the floor."

Leo did as he was told. "Mr. Rossi isn't gonna be happy when I tell him you interfered."

"Mr. Rossi isn't going to be happy when I tell him to go to hell." Now get out." Leo started to pick up his gun. "Leave it," Rollie ordered. "I'll see it gets back to Rossi."

Leo hesitated, saw the look in Rollie's eyes and shrugged. He slowly walked past Rollie and left the apartment.

"Are you alright Greta?" Rollie asked as he helped her to the sofa. "Should I call the paramedics or something?"

"No, I'm okay. Just scared to death is all." Greta crossed her arms in front of her and sort of rocked back and forth on the sofa.

"What did Pirelli want and why was he choking you?"

"He asked me who Brad is, how he knows Angela, and where he is. When I told him I didn't know where Brad was he grabbed my neck." The young woman shuddered. "I thought he was going to kill me."

"I'll ask the same questions. Who's Brad and how is he involved in Angela's disappearance?"

Greta shook her head and looked down at the floor.

"Vito Rossi must be a mite upset with you Greta or he wouldn't have sent Pirelli to see you," Rollie explained. "You can tell me or expect another visit from one of Vito's men. And this time I won't be here to stop him. Your choice."

Heaving a big sigh Greta answered, "Brad's sort of Angela's boyfriend; he lives here off and on. But not all the time. He and Angela are trying to get money from her father so they can get away from here, maybe go to Europe with her friends."

"She wasn't really kidnapped was she? This whole thing was a scam to extort money, right?" Greta nodded. "Where are they Greta? I need to find Brad before Rossi's men do. They won't hurt Angela but they'll put Brad into the Mississippi River with chains and weights tied around his neck."

"I don't know." At Rollie's disbelieving look she added, "I really don't. Brad was supposed to call and tell me where to meet him and Angela but I haven't heard from him. So I called his cell. I still haven't heard from him." Greta gasped and went white. "Maybe Vito's men already found him."

"No, at least not yet. Leo wouldn't have been here trying to scare information out of you."

"Do you know where Brad and Angela are going to use for a money drop on Monday?"

"Monday?" Greta said in disbelief. "I hadn't heard about Monday. The plan was to stretch this out for a couple of weeks to make Frank more willing to give up that much money."

"Apparently your friends have cut you out of the loop," Rollie suggested to Greta. "I think you've been dropped by the side of the road."

"Rollie?"

He turned and saw Jessica standing in the open doorway. Rollie motioned her in. "Thought I told you to wait in the truck," he said with a grin.

"I saw a very angry man leave and I had to make sure you were okay," Jessica defended her being there.

"I'm fine, tell you about it later." Turning back to Greta Rollie said, "Okay, you can't stay here. You can stay at my place until we finish this."

Greta faced showed what she thought about staying with Rollie. But before Greta could object Rollie added, "I don't mean it like that and it's just until this situation is solved. It'll be the safest place for you."

"I'll stay with you Greta," Jessica said. Then she laughed at Rollie. "Guess you're going to finally get me up to your apartment."

In a low voice almost to himself Rollie said, "Not what I had in mind."

Greta packed a few things and rode with Rollie and Jessica to Rollie's condo. He showed her the guest bedroom and got her settled in. Greta rejoined them in the living room.

"Call or text Brad and tell him that Vito's men came looking for him," Rollie instructed. "Tell him what happened there. And tell him he'd better call or you'll tell the Rossi's about the whole deal."

"What if he doesn't call back?" Greta asked timidly.

"He will. For one thing he won't want you to give any info to Vito or Frank's men," Rollie assured her. "When he calls set up a meeting at some place he'd feel safe. Tell him you need to hide too. If he gives you any static tell him you're not going to get hurt for him and Angela." Rollie paused and asked, "Why did you get involved with this scam? What were you supposed to get out of it?"

"I graduate next month and wanted to get away from Frank. He was beginning to talk about me doing other things for my money; sexual things, things I didn't want to do." Greta blushed. "Angela and Brad were going to give me twenty five thousand dollars out of the $150,000 they got from her father. Then I could move to another city and start over."

"The ransom note demanded $250,000 not $150,000 Greta. I think you've been used." Rollie watched as Greta realized she been scammed too. "Make the call."

Rollie waited until Greta made the call and watched as she also sent a text. He nodded and said, "I'm going to see Frank and Vito about their men."

"What can you do about it Rollie?" Jessica asked. "They're powerful men and play by their own set of rules."

"They haven't found Brad or Angela or they wouldn't have gone at Greta so they'll want me to keep looking. If they don't listen to me I'll quit and they can go to hell."

Jessica looked at Rollie with a small smile. "No you won't. You can't quit if there's a girl in trouble; it's just not you."

"Think you know me pretty well do you?" Rollie returned her smile. "Guess you're right. This kidnapping scam sounds like it's gone in a different direction than Angela planned. Sounds like it's gone sideways on her. She could be in real trouble." He crossed to where Jessica sat, leaned down and kissed her.

"I'm glad you're here Jess," Rollie said with a grin. "For whatever reason. I'll be back in a couple of hours." He turned and left the apartment.

Rollie walked toward his truck and saw Tully leaning against the front fender. "What are you doing here Tully?"

"Jessica called me when she heard the scream and you went into Greta's place," Tully answered with a grin. "When I got there you'd already left."

"So how'd you know I would come home?"

"People always underestimate my intelligence because I'm big and have some gray hair. I deduced that you'd head for a safe haven." Tully chuckled. "Well that plus Jessica called me when you were showing Greta her room. But I did figure you'd go see Rossi about his men interfering. You've never been the flavor of the month with the Rossi's; thought you might need some backup."

"Shouldn't be a problem, Franks just wants to find his daughter," Rollie said.

"Vito is the alpha wolf in that pack. Frank's almost as bad and he'll follow Vito's lead. They might not like you running off their man." Tully smiled again. "Ergo, I'll come along to persuade the Rossi's to behave."

"Okay, get in the truck Tully. Damn! Just what I need, a beat up old Gunnery Sergeant." Rollie motioned toward his truck and they both got in. Just before Rollie pulled away from the curb he softly said, "Thanks Tully."

"You welcome Private Detective Chambers sir."

********************

It was just past 10 PM when Rollie pulled up in front of the big house where Frank Rossi lived. Vito's place was next door. Rollie followed by Tully walked up to the big wooden double doors. He didn't bother with the bell but beat loudly on the door with a clenched fist.

Leo opened the front door and Rollie pushed past him into the entryway. Tully followed, shutting the door behind him; pushing Leo aside. Leo growled and reached for the gun under his coat. Tully grabbed his wrist with a big hand and applied pressure. This time Leo groaned with pain.

"Frank," he yelled. "Chambers and that big one legged Sergeant forced their way in."

"What the hell?" Rossi exclaimed looking first at Rollie and then at the large man with him standing in the entry way.

"Let's talk Frank," Rollie said. "Why don't we have a seat?"

Frank led Rollie and Tully into the living room. Vito was already there. Leo joined them and started toward Rollie but at a low word from Vito, sat down.

"Good the gangs all here," Rollie said. "I won't have to repeat myself." He motioned for Frank to have a seat. "I told you when you asked for my help that I didn't want your guys involved. But Vito you just had to send your gorilla to Greta's. Now I'm telling you for the last time, keep out of it. If you want my help, keep out of it"

Rollie could see that Leo was dying to get to him. Looking him in the eye Rollie tossed Leo's gun to him. "You might need this the next time you beat up a 22 year old girl."

Leo growled and in spite of Vito's orders came around the coffee table at Rollie. His arms were opened wide trying to grab Rollie in a bear hug. Rollie let him get close and hit him with a hard left hard followed by a short straight right. Leo went down backwards onto his butt. Rollie heard a noise behind him and turned.

A second hood had entered the living room and rushed at Rollie. Unfortunately for him he met Tully in a most painful way. The second man was lying face down on the hardwood floor.

"He slipped," Tully said with an innocent grin. "God's truth, he slipped."

As Leo struggled to his feet he shook his head to clear it. "That's enough Leo. Sit down," Vito ordered in a voice that had to be obeyed by the soldier.

"No keep coming Leo; I want to knock you on your ass again," Rollie taunted. "I can't stand a man that beats up and manhandles a woman." Turning to Vito and Frank he added, "Can't stand the ones that ordered it either."

Vito and Frank looked at each other and back at Rollie and nodded.

"Why did you send Leo after Greta to begin with?" Rollie asked.

Vito sort of cleared this throat and didn't say anything. Frank finally said, "A friend of ours has a bistro near campus. Vinnie heard through the grapevine about Angela and contacted me. He told us that Angela and a young man named Brad had been coming into his place at least once a week for the last two months. Greta had said that Angela wasn't dating anyone one guy."

Frank looked at Leo sitting in the side chair. "We decided that maybe Greta knew more about this Brad than she was saying so we sent Leo over to see her. He got a little carried away when she wouldn't talk to him."

"Now listen up, I'm going to find Angela and bring her home," Rollie told them. "I don't want your goons getting in my way again. I've stashed Greta in a safe house for now. Maybe I can get the info from her."