The Curse of the Scots Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
carvohi
carvohi
2,562 Followers

I sighed, "I want to."

Caprice replied, "You're sure?"

"I'm sure."

"You're not mad?"

"No I'm not mad."

She whimpered, "You don't have to if you don't want to."

I told her, "You're my sweetheart. I want to."

"Well, OK."

I asked, "Anything else?"

She answered, "No, I just..."

I told her, "We love you. I love you. We're coming. I'm coming."

She sniffed and then answered, "I just wanted to be sure."

I replied again. Maybe I was a little gruff, "Don't worry and don't be stupid. I'm on my way. Whatever it is I can fix it. I'll take care of it. Then I'm bringing you home."

She sniffed again, "OK, I'll wait here."

I hung up the phone.

Angie asked, "What was that about?"

I shrugged, "Caprice is all over the place. She needed to be reassured."

Angie grinned, "You sure did that."

I laughed. At last we were on our way.

++++++++++

In Rochester two old people talk.

"I swear Katie I can't handle any more of this."

Katie looked at her husband. Once he was a tower of strength, a mountain of a man, but since their girl had disappeared she'd watched him slowly die. What she saw in the big old lazy boy now was a shadow, a slumped over feeble shadow of the man she remembered, "She's here Evan. I saw her."

"If what you say is true, and mind you Katie I don't believe you, not for a minute, I still have no idea what to do."

Katie replied, "We could call around; call all hotels and motels. See if anyone's used the name Fischer, or if anyone who fits her description is registered."

"Then what Katie? First, do we even really know what she looks like now? Then even if there was someone who looks like her or who's used the name Fischer then what? Do we go and confront her? What if she runs away? Then what?"

"Then what do we do Evan?"

"I don't know. I just don't know. Oh Katie, I wish I was dead."

Katie stumbled over to her husband. The sighting had nearly killed her, but she knew it was her Lauren. Her daughter was alive, and she was somewhere nearby. If she'd come this far, then maybe...,"OK, Evan; we'll wait. Let's pray."

Evan got up and knelt on the floor. He couldn't remember how many times he'd prayed like this. He knew it wouldn't do any good, but...

Together the two tired old people knelt on the threadbare carpet and prayed, "Dear Jesus..."

++++++++++

Somewhere in southern New York a freshly fueled Lexus pulled into a MacDonald's for a food and a pee break.

Sitting across from Cayden's empty seat with Emily beside her Angie took a napkin and wiped her daughter's cheek, "How did you get to be such a messy eater little girl?"

"Mommy, how long before we get to see Auntie Caprice?"

"Not long honey. Oh look here comes Cayden," the two girls watched as Cayden strolled out of the men's room, and walked to where they were seated.

I got over and stood beside Emily, "You two go to the bathroom, and did you get something to eat?"

Angie flipped me a fake frown, "Sure took you long enough."

I smiled, "Well sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do."

Emily held up a bag, "Mommy bought you a burger, a coffee, and a small fries just like you wanted."

I took the bag and coffee and spoke to Angie, "You drive while I eat."

The three tired travelers all got up and started back out toward the Lexus.

++++++++++

In a quiet motel room just outside Rochester a frightened woman sat by the telephone. She checked the clock. It had only been an hour since she'd last called Cayden. She wondered; should she call again? She'd been calling almost every hour since she first showered. She picked up the phone and tapped in his cellphone number. It only rang twice before Cayden answered.

He spoke very calmly and reassuringly, "Hi sweetheart. We had to stop for a pee, but we're back on the road. We're in New York so it won't be long now."

Caprice answered, her lower lip a quiver, "I peed too. Hurry, please hurry."

Cayden responded in a light hearted manner, "I don't know who's more impatient you or Emily. Why don't you wash your hair again? Tell you what braid it into a ponytail. We bought some ribbon at a convenience store; we'll put a bow in it when we get there. You have clean clothes?"

Caprice replied with an unseen nod of her head and an answer, "I have that green blouse you like and I have a pair of slacks."

He chuckled. It was fake, but he wanted to keep her mind occupied, "God I love you in that blouse. Take your time, but start to tidy yourself up. We'll all go out to eat when we get there."

She answered, "I'm not hungry."

He looked at Emily who was comfortably seated in the back in her safety seat and laughingly spoke into the phone, "Don't forget who you're talking to. This is 'Farmer Cayden'; you remember your dumb hick farmer guy? Well how're you going to grow up and be a big girl if you don't eat? You said yourself just a few nights before you left you were, you know," he talked in a lower tone so Emily wouldn't hear, "fertile. What if you've got a bun in the oven?"

Emily heard that, "Is Caprice cooking something?"

Angie looked in the rearview mirror, "No honey, Cayden just made a stupid joke," she frowned at Cayden.

On the other end of the phone Caprice could be heard asking, "What's going on?"

Cayden responded, "Nothing, Emily just heard my comment about the oven."

Caprice said, "Well I'm still not hungry."

Cayden answered, "Do you want me to spank you?"

"You wouldn't."

"What, put you over my knee and spank those beautiful cheeks till they turn pink?"

Caprice almost giggled, "OK, I'll eat."

Cayden replied, "Now go and wash your hair. I want to see a braided ponytail when I get there," he flipped his phone closed.

Caprice put the motel phone back in its slot. She smiled, but she was still nervous, she was still scared, but she felt better. Cayden was coming.

++++++++++

As the car speared its way through the beautiful New York countryside I glanced over at Angie, "I've never heard her quite like this."

"Me neither," was Angie's reply, "She's always been the one in control."

I checked the speedometer, "Don't drive too fast. Remember you don't have your license," I went on about Caprice, "Once we were out in the truck, out in the field; she tried to run away. When I caught her she just went limp. She clammed up. I mean it was like she just disappeared. It scared me."

Angie checked for traffic in the rear, "She's been through a lot Cayden. She's had it rough. You recall that girl who'd been kidnapped and held prisoner all those years? I'm sure we don't know the half of it."

I scrunched up the hamburger and French fry papers and stuffed them in the bag Emily had handed me, "That girl remembered who she was. She remembered her past. Caprice has blocked everything out."

"Yes, I remember," replied Angie, "We've got to face something here. In spite of what we've seen with Caprice; she's not the tough little alley cat we think she is. She's a frail little kitty. I don't want to get her back just to lose her again."

I smoldered, "Get her back, lose her; I know this. When we're done here she's coming back home. If I have to I'll build her parents a house. I can sell some of the lots along the river. Hey maybe while we build it they can move in with your mother?"

Angie looked through the increasingly dirty windshield and espied a turn off, "I'm pulling in. I want you to drive a while."

I grinned, "What are you going to do?"

She glared at me, "I'm going to spend the rest of trip pinching you."

I laughed, "I'm sorry about the crack about your mother. Don't worry; we'll look after her too."

Angie turned into the off ramp that led to the rest area.

++++++++++

The rest of the drive was completed in silence. Both Angie and Cayden had concerns they needed to grapple with.

Angie knew getting Caprice to come home wouldn't be as easy as Cayden thought. She was no mind reader, but she knew enough to know that Caprice had decided to step aside so Cayden could remarry her. Caprice wanted to be noble; well that was bullshit. She couldn't allow it. Oh she loved Cayden with all her heart, but she loved Caprice too. Cayden was right; Caprice needed to come back, but she'd have to come back as the future Mrs. McLeish. It would be tricky, but she'd figure it out.

Cayden realized how right Angie was. Caprice's life so far had been a charade, a fantasy. When she finally had to face her parents her fantasy, that phony persona she'd more or less invented would come face to face with her reality. What would that do to her? No, she wasn't tough, she wasn't strong, she was brittle; the least misstep could destroy her. They'd have to be careful.

He knew what he had to do. He figured since Palm Sunday night, Jesus that was like a lifetime ago, she'd been wrapped, no swaddled, in a protective cocoon. He'd done that. With her trip north she'd stepped out of that protected shell. He was no genius, but he guessed if all her terrible realizations didn't overwhelm her right away he might be able to re-embrace her; sort of save her again.

He shivered. He felt like somebody had just walked over his grave. Now who was living in a fantasy?

++++++++++

We pulled into the parking lot of the Motel Six. I spotted her car. I eased into a spot nearly beside it, "Angie you and Emily go inside first. I spotted a Hampton Inn back a ways. We'll need more space. I'm going to call and see what they've got." We'll need a bigger room, besides I want to change Caprice's immediate environment a little bit."

Angie nodded. She awakened Emily, and got her out of her car seat, "Come on baby, we're here."

Emily looked up excitedly, "We're at Caprice's?"

"Sure are," carrying her on her hip Angie lumbered to the door they figured was Caprice's. She knocked.

Inside Caprice had heard a car pull up. She checked her face in the mirror. When she heard the knock on the door she was ready. All smiles she opened the door. She saw Angie and Emily, her smile evaporated, "Where's Cayden?"

Angie pointed to the trunk of the Lexus, "He's on the lot calling the Hampton Inn. He thinks we'll need a bigger room."

Caprice wasn't listening; she pushed past Angie and Emily and raced to the rear of the Lexus. When she got within two feet she stopped. Cayden was on his cell phone. He looked serious; fear overtook her!

I looked over and saw her. I smiled. I could see the relief flood over her face. She rushed into my arms, "You came."

I held the phone in one hand and whispered in her ear, "Of course silly," I squeezed her tight to my chest while I talked into the phone, "That's right we want the big one, two king sized beds, and a fold out sofa. You say it has a microwave, a refrigerator, and an oversized bathtub right? Good we'll take it. We'll be there in a half an hour," I read off my VISA card's numbers and hung up. Flipping my phone closed I took Caprice in my arms, "Gee I've missed you."

She pressed her face against my chest and started crying, "I'm scared Cayden. My mom, she saw me. I'm afraid. I left them. I don't know. I'm so scared. Cayden, they hate me. I know it."

I pulled her head up and kissed her, then I put a finger to her lips, "Look," I pointed to Angie as she held Emily, "Does Angie hate Emily? Does Mrs. Bradford hate Angie? Not on your life. Parents aren't like that. Look darling we're here now. I'm here now. Let me take care of this. I guarantee; everything will be fine."

Caprice wrapped her arms around me; she squeezed as tightly as she could. She pressed her face back against my chest; it felt good. She didn't say anything. She didn't have to; I was here, with her, it would be OK.

The four of us went inside. I told Angie, "Pack up our girl's stuff," I looked around and found Angie's purse, "now where's that ribbon?" I found the piece of green ribbon and pointed Caprice toward the small sofa, "Sit over here. I need to fix your hair."

Caprice, all smiles, skipped over, sat down, and patiently waited while I fluffed her ponytail and tied the ribbon in a big bow. I leaned around, "Now that's better. I saw an IHOP on the way in. I have a hankering for some pancakes and fried eggs. We'll pick up some microwave popcorn, and then slip over to the Hampton Inn. I want to watch a movie," It didn't happen exactly that way, but I was close enough.

While her mom had been packing Caprice's stuff, Emily had been watching her dad and her Auntie Caprice, "Can I choose the movie?"

Cayden grinned, "Nothing scary."

Emily whooped, "Oh Daddy."

++++++++++

Thirty minutes later Cayden had them checked out of the Motel Six. He and Caprice got in her car and drove to the Hampton Inn. Angie with Emily followed in the Lexus. He checked them in while Caprice moved to the Lexus. Shortly thereafter they were on their way to the IHOP.

++++++++++

Once they got to the IHOP they were seated pretty quickly. Angie and Caprice both got omelets. They got a smaller omelet for Emily. I got the full deal; three fried eggs, pancakes, hash browns, and sausage patties. I was hungry.

While they were eating Angie put down her fork and looked squarely at me. She popped the platinum question, "So what's the plan?"

I kept shoveling food in my mouth while I talked; but I couldn't miss the woebegone look in Caprice's eyes, "Tonight we're watching a movie. Tomorrow I want the three of you to go shopping. Take the Lexus and drive north. I hear the ritziest malls are on the north side of town. I want you girls to take the credit card and buy out the stores."

Angie was a little confused, "We really don't need anything. Why should we go shopping?"

I put down my fork, "That's a first; three beautiful women are told to spend money, and they don't know what to do. I said I want the three of you to spend some money. Shop, buy toiletries, skirts, dresses, blouses, you know, the works."

Caprice was white as a sheet, "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to visit some parents."

Caprice looked sick, "Shouldn't I go too?"

I picked my fork back up and scooped up some more egg, "I'll tell you when, and when I do we'll all go together."

Caprice looked horror stricken; she had nothing to say.

I didn't let it lapse, "I'm looking at my three women, and make no mistake. You're all mine. No one's alone at this table. All for one and one for all is what I always say," it occurred to me that only a few months ago I was a complete loner. I would never have said anything like that. Now I was the provider and protector for three beautiful women. I liked the feeling. It was like...destiny. Like God had this plan...sort of...I guess...maybe.

I added, "I'll go first, you know, pave the way; then we'll all visit our parents together," I made sure to place extra emphasis on the word 'our'. I wanted to make sure Caprice understood she was a part of something. She wasn't alone, and I was determined she'd never be alone or feel alone again. I made a big mistake when I sent her north alone; I wouldn't make that mistake again.

We finished dinner. As we got up to go I looked over at Caprice, "You leave the gratuity dear." It gave her something to do. She left a Hamilton.

++++++++++

Back at the Hampton Inn we watched something dumb, a cartoon about a mermaid. Actually it wasn't half bad; Emily liked it. I mean it was about a mermaid who became a person; like a mermaid person who became a regular person. When it was time for bed we put Emily in the king sized bed in the center. I opened out the sofa. Caprice and Angie shared the other big bed.

I lay awake listening for the soft even breathing typical of people at rest. Once I was sure all my girls were asleep I rolled on my side facing them and drifted off. Tomorrow would be an important day. I thought about Aunt Maggie, Aunt Olive, and Uncle Mitchel and Johnny. I felt like I was ready. Maybe the old people hadn't done such a bad job with me after all? I'd find out in the morning.

I was foolish. Just as I thought I could relax and sleep somebody stealthily slid in the sofa bed beside me. It was Caprice. She moved as close as she could; so close I found it hard to move or breathe. I felt her as she curled up in a tiny fetal ball. In the dim half-light of the motel room I saw she'd slipped her right thumb in her mouth. I reached over, pulled her thumb and hand away. I moved it down to her breasts. I pulled her closer, my chest to her back and whispered, "Sleep tight sweetie." I felt her body relax against mine.

Five minutes later I saw Angie climb in on Caprice's other side. Maybe two minutes after that I got a glimpse of Emily standing by the sofa bed, "Hey, where do I sleep?" I backed away so that I was on the extreme edge of the sofa bed. Caprice must have been awake; she backed up with me. Emily climbed over Angie and settled down in the middle. All huddled together we finally got to sleep.

++++++++++

It's all Cayden.

I'd set the room clock for 9:00, and I didn't let anybody do much stirring before that. Emily peed, Angie dressed, and poor Caprice just stared at me. I told her, "Caprice don't fret. I've got everything under control. I want all you girls to make a day of it. Let me do my job."

She nodded, but the look on her face showed me how scared she was. I kept at her, "Caprice I want you to drive. Stay clear of where I'm going, and I don't want any cell phone calls," I laughed, "Don't call me, I'll call you. You guys go spend some money. Have a good lunch. Caprice give me the keys to your car. You girls take the Lexus."

I got the girls off, and got ready. I slipped on a pair of jeans, a white button down shirt, some dark socks, and a pair of Rockport shoes. I wanted to look comfortable, but not too formal or too relaxed. My moment had come.

I took my time driving to the Fischer's. I got there a little after 11:00. I pulled to the curb in front of their house and got out. I looked around. It was an older house, a small rancher, a lot like the Bradford's. The lawn looked good; the hedges needed to be trimmed. They had one of those porcelain Dutch Boy ornaments in the front garden. It looked kind of old. I bet it'd been there since before Caprice left. They had an old front porch swing. I thought of the old John Anderson song 'Swingin'. I sort of checked around the back. Her child's swing set was still there; that sort of choked me up. When I was a kid I'd always wanted one but had been afraid to ask. I wondered if I had asked; I bet they'd have put one up.

Well the time had come. I walked up to the front door. I rang the bell. I didn't have to wait long.

An older lady opened the door. She was maybe 5'4". She looked frail. She had pretty skin, white, clear, good complexion and she had soft green eyes, damn green eyes. She looked at me; she looked a little frightened, "Hello, may I help you?"

I asked, "Is this the Fischer residence?" I heard someone from inside call out asking who it was.

The old lady answered, "Yes this is the Fischer residence."

I held out my hand, "My name is Cayden McLeish. I'm here about your daughter Lauren. May I come in please?"

The old lady looked at me, "Lauren?"

"Yes, may I please come in?"

She stepped away from the front door and opened it wider. She looked back inside and spoke to someone, "There's a man here who knows something about Lauren."

I stepped inside.

A very old man approached me, "You know my daughter?"

I replied, "Very well. May I sit down?"

The old lady moved toward a sofa and tried to straighten an already straightened set of pillows, "Yes please, sit here."

The old man took up a seat in a tattered lazy boy. The old woman asked, "Can I get you something, some coffee? A muffin?"

"Some coffee would be nice," I figured anything that would ease the tension.

The old man looked at me, and repeated himself, "So you know my daughter?"

carvohi
carvohi
2,562 Followers