The Dawn of Wynter Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Erm...Toni is filling in for you," he said slowly.

"What do you mean? How could she -- "

"She cast a spell; she's you for all intensive purposes. We didn't know what else to do, you were out for so long we didn't think you would wake in time."

"And her scent? How can she possibly mask..." she trailed off, "My closet," she said to herself before looking up at Philippe, "She's wearing my clothes? That's how you plan to mask my scent?" she asked incredulously.

"You guys are idiots! If they find out, we're all screwed!"

"Well we didn't have much of a choice did we?" he retorted, slightly irritated at her, "You decided to go into some strange comatose state for two weeks, our options were limited," he scathed. He saw her flinch slightly at his words. He sighed and tried to calm himself. She looked lost and it wasn't her fault, none of it was. She couldn't control what had happened, but he was just angry and worried and was taking it out on her. She had been alone when she woke and no one was there to answer her questions.

"I'm sorry," he whispered looking into her hurt eyes, "It hasn't been an easy few weeks...we managed to keep your meeting with them short enough that they didn't even notice. Toni is outside speaking with X -- Stefâne," he corrected quickly. Shit. He'd almost slipped. Luckily, she hadn't noticed the quick correction; her thoughts were heavy in her mind.

She stared at him frowning, wondering why he was acting strangely.

"So I'm just expected to sit and wait like a child in my room?"

"Yes," he replied simply, smiling slightly. He knew she didn't like the thought of that one bit, and the look on her face was too damn cute, he wanted to scoop her up right there and take her back to her bedroom and continue where they had left off two weeks ago before everything had happened. He sighed, that would definitely have to wait. The Vyrkaryan were still here, and he had to return to them quickly.

"Let's go chérie, there will be time for questions," he said pulling her off the stool and directing her back to her rooms before he went back down the hall to the study.

Zara was irritated at him. Why would no one give her answers when she wanted them? Just as she thought that an image flashed before her. It was a millisecond but she saw a dark woman, slender and beautiful smiling at her. Woah! Where'd that come from? She shook her head and walked back into her room and slumped on the bed. Just then her phone vibrated in her back pocket, pulling it out she saw a message from Raine.

Zara, if I don't get an answer from you in the next minute I'm coming over and I'm going to strangle you.

She snorted, always so dramatic, she thought.

All is good. Sorry for the hiatus. Something happened, still getting answers.

What happened? R U OK? Kai wouldn't tell me what was going on.

Yes. I'm OK, call you soon! Xo

You better. I wasn't joking. Will strangle you!

She laughed, not putting it past the were to follow through. An hour went by and no one came to her. She groaned in frustration before sitting up and grabbing her bikini from a drawer in her closet. She slipped it on and made her way out of her room to the pool just outside her window. She needed clarity, and this was the best way she knew how to get it. The sun was about half an hour away from setting, sitting low in the sky, but it was a warm evening. She ran towards the pool and leapt high, diving in with all the expertise of a professional swimmer. The moment she broke through the water's surface, her body relaxed. She did a few laps, reveling in the feel of the water as it enveloped her body, caressing her softly.

Then as she often did, she swam to the center of the pool and let herself float facing up towards the sky. The sun was setting by then and the moon was rising on the other side, and the sight was something to behold. The sky was fiery red to one side as it faded into purples and indigos before it was finally swallowed by the darkness of the heavens, millions of stars twinkling and glittering down to the earth like old friends. Zara's breath caught in her throat as she took in the sight, knowing it was a fleeting moment, the sun would set in minutes and the night would consume everything.

Suddenly with all the clarity in the world, the sight of the sky changing before her, the memory of her new 'tattoo' she remembered everything. It played like a film reel in front of her, and she gasped deeply; struggling for air as it all came crashing down. The night with Philippe, how they'd made love over and over again, how they fed from each other.

"Oh god...oh god...oh my fucking god!" she whispered to herself.

They'd shared blood! But she didn't even have time to dwell on that because the rest of her memories came crashing down around her, how she woke up in pain, how she watched the writing appear on her back, the gold box, Malena and the others. She knew now why she remembered. The sight of the sky, the sun and moon sharing it for a few moments brought back the image of the place she had been. Which was where exactly? That was the one thing she still didn't know. She remembered meeting all seven strangers, diving into the strange pool.

No, no, no, this couldn't be happening. She couldn't believe it. There was only one way to find out. She searched her mind, and there it was. The bond, the emotions she had been feeling earlier, they hadn't been hers.

Phillipe?

Yes?

Holy fuck! She thought, oh my fucking God, it was real, she wasn't imagining it.

Yes, cherie, we are bonded for life now. So you remember?

Stop it! Get your ass over here right now, Philippe, or I swear to God I will rain down the fires of hell on you. I intend to have this conversation in person!

I love it when you talk dirty to me he chuckled, further infuriating her I'll be there shortly.

She was no longer floating on her back, but submerged under water, trying to calm herself. The world spun around her as she remembered what she saw in the pool, how everything unfolded before her. Oh my...she thought...how was she expected to just accept everything she had seen? Everything she had done. She fought to try and regain some control, but she didn't seem to have it in her, she let her body sink to the bottom of the pool. She was one of The Seofon. She was the one that held everything together. She and...

In that moment, floating below the surface of the water with the rays of the moon shining on her, silence pressing on her ears, it was all clear. She closed her eyes, trying to accept it. Her mind went blank, and she let the water pull her deeper down. Just as she felt her body relax, there was the sound of something hitting the water and strong arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her up to the surface.

She came up with a large gasp, sputtering as she felt herself dragged to the edge of the pool and pulled up so she was lying on the hard stone. She felt dizzy, and she was coughing up water, the chlorine burning her throat. She felt warm hands cradle her face on either side and she looked up to find eyes as blue as the ocean staring down at her, tight with several emotions. Philippe was hovered over her, his now wet suit dripping over her body.

"Zara, what the hell!" Philippe panted, "Are you okay?"

"I'm -- fine," she gasped between breaths.

"What the hell were you doing?"

"You didn't need to jump in, or have you forgotten I can breathe under water, like every vampire in existence," she said irately

"Yes...I suppose -- "

"You drank my blood," she blurted, sitting up suddenly.

He was quiet for a moment before he replied calmly, "Yes, and you mine."

She pushed him away from her and stood up, she was pissed, and he could see it in her eyes.

"Damn it Philippe! You drank from me! Do you realize what this means? We are bound forever! There's no taking it back!"

"Excuse me, but if I remember correctly, you just as eagerly drank from my blood! If anyone should be pissed it's me! I've never let anyone share my blood, being as old as I am. And did you ever stop to think that maybe just maybe I didn't want to take it back? That I am glad we did what we did?"

"Oh so I'm supposed to be honoured that you allowed me to drink from your oh so godly essence," she shrieked sarcastically, "Why? So you could torment me for the rest of my existence? How could I want to be tied to you forever, Philippe? You have no heart," she spat.

She turned around to make her way back to her room, but his arms caught her and he turned her around roughly to face him. His eyes were clouded in anger. She hadn't seen this side of him before. What she'd said must have struck a deep chord with him because he was livid. She could see his true beast close to the surface, could feel the anger rolling off his shoulders.

"Don't presume to think you know me Zara," he growled his face inches from hers, "You haven't even given me a chance, you made your assumptions the moment I walked through the door."

"So what if I did? Was I wrong? You're an egotistical bastard Philippe Desmarais, you want me to believe you have a heart? That you're capable of thinking about anyone other than yourself? That you can feel any other emotion beyond pride, greed and lust? You knew! You knew I hated you being able to invade my mind! You knew I was fighting my hardest not to give into you, to whatever power it is that keeps drawing us to each other and you still used it against me! You knew I wouldn't be able to resist the bloodlust if you bit me and yet you did it anyway! You got what you wanted Philippe, I'm forever your plaything. How convenient for you, you can bend me to your will so much easier now, right?"

"Zara," he said in warning, his anger was now tangible, the air around them electric, "If you're looking for an apology, you won't hear it from my lips. I'm not sorry we did what we did. And yes, perhaps I used certain things to my favour but I won't apologize for that either. You're not just a plaything, you're --"

What could he say? She was what? She was irresistible, a drug? He couldn't get enough of her? She was more than he could have imagined. Never in his existence did he think he could feel anything after his sister's death, and yet this amazing woman had managed to bring out something in him he thought had died with his flesh and blood. How did he explain that to her? She wasn't listening, wouldn't accept his explanations.

"I'm not sorry," he repeated more forcefully, shaking her as if he could will her to feel the same if he repeated it enough times.

"Well that makes one of us," she hissed and wrenched her arms from his and stormed off into her rooms.

The truth was she was scared senseless. She knew the capacity of their relationship, it had been spelled out for her, like everything else in her life she didn't have a choice and that was what pissed her off the most. That was why she was fighting with all her might to resist Philippe. The fact that they had fed from each other had cemented that fact even more, that she couldn't escape him now even if she wanted to, and it caused her to lash out. Never had she been given a choice. Things had been taken from her or thrust upon her without her consent. The fact that her life partner was also a choice that was taken out of her hands drove her mad. Because in the end, when it came down to it she knew. Philippe was her mate. A mate she was destined for long before she had even been born.

She sensed him follow behind her. She didn't bother turning around, she continued toward her bathroom, slamming the door and tossing her bikini to the floor. She showered quickly and pulled on a tank top and jeans that had been hanging behind the door. When she flung the door open he was standing in front of it. They stood in front of each other for a moment, she glaring at him.

"Was there something you needed, or did you stay just to be your usual pleasant self just for the fun of it?"

"Actually, yes," he said his voice all business, "Your brother would like to see you in the library as soon as possible," he said, his eyes tightening slightly.

"My God, he hasn't even joined your little VIP club yet and already he acts like a prince, sending his minions to collect his lowly sister," she said shaking her head, as she pushed past him.

"Zara..." Philippe's voice was low, and slightly...pained?

She turned around to face him at his sudden change in tone. He stood rigid before her, his mouth pressed into a thin line. He looked very grim, something not common for the Frenchman.

"Philippe? What is it? Is everything ok? Has anything happened to Kai," she asked quickly.

"He's fine; he just asks that you join him in the study..."

"Ok," she said slowly, her faced covered in a frown, before she could make her way out the door however, Philippe cut her off and closed it.

"I know you don't want to hear it, but I have come to care for you Zara, more than you can imagine..."

Her arms were folded, and she was looking past his shoulders

"I need time to accept this Philippe, I need time to accept I have no choice in the matter."

"Am I really so revolting to you?" he asked, sullenly and when she didn't answer he simply said "I will give you time, and space, but will you give me a chance to make this up to you?"

"There is no making it up to me, Philippe, there is no taking this back," she replied sadly, stepping to the side and opening the door to make her way to the study. She felt him at her side a few moments later.

They walked silently side by side across the main hall, past the grand entry way to the East Wing. The whole time Philippe was cursing the timing of everything. He knew once she walked through those doors, the iota of hope he had of making her see things his way would evaporate into thin air. Their footsteps echoed on the marble floors until he stopped in front of the large wooden door that led into the library, gesturing for Zara to open the door first. She pulled the handle and pushed the door open, still looking at Philippe, curious as to what her brother thought was so important it couldn't wait until later.

"Kai, what is going o-" she said, turning her gaze into the room, when her words died in her mouth as she took in the figure standing in front of her. Kai, Stephân and Antoinette flanked him on either side. Philippe walked passed her and joined Antoinette to the left.

"Xander?" she whispered in disbelief. She felt her world flip upside down, he was here! In their home! What were they all doing standing by him so calmly? Why weren't they asking where the hell he had been all this time? She thought she saw a look pass between him and Philippe. Did they know each other? The room felt tense, all of them had worried looks on their faces, while Zara was trying to digest everything she saw before her.

"My dearest Zara, it has been too long," he said in a low, sad voice.

She took a few steps closer, wondering if this was a dream. She reached out to his face and ran it along his cheek. He closed his eyes at her touch. She let her hand rest on his shoulder, while she looked up into his face. This was no dream.

"You're real," she said a small laugh bubbling up in her throat as tears spilled from her eyes. Before she could stop herself, she threw her body on him in a tight hug. He stood stiffly for a moment, surprised by the impact before his hands wrapped around her and he let out a hefty sigh, hugging her with equal vigour. Everyone else in the room relaxed slightly, letting out the breaths they had been holding. It was going better than they had all anticipated. Philippe, however, thought he may break Xander's arms as they wrapped themselves around Zara's waist.

Xander let out a deep rumbling laugh as Zara held his head between her hands and rained kisses on his cheeks and forehead. She was probably the only person he allowed to touch him in such a way. His heart was heavy however, because he knew the moment she knew the truth there would be no more hugs or kisses. She would not be so happy he was here. He savored the moment for as long as he could.

"I can't believe my eyes," she laughed, tears falling steadily on her cheeks.

"I can't tell you how good it is to see you. I honestly expected a less welcoming reaction ..." he said his voice suddenly heavy with regret.

Zara thought about it for a moment. She had always tried to imagine this moment, when they met again. She imagined it a million ways, her anger, her relief, her happiness, every which way possible. What she felt now was a lightness she had never expected. She felt like she found a piece of her that had been missing for so long she forgot what it even felt like.

"You're here, that's all that matters," she smiled, her hand cupping his cheek. She saw Philippe tense slightly from the corner of her eye.

"I have to ask though, why now? You're timing is a little curious..."

There it was. He knew that their happy little reunion would be short lived. He grasped her hand from his cheek and led her to the sofa.

"Zara...so much time has passed. I'm sure you grew to despise me for leaving you. I know that you are too overwhelmed and shocked right now to feel how you should. Seeing me after so long, I'm not sure either one of us knows how to react," he smiled sadly, "I just ask that you understand I did everything to help you and protect you. I need you to understand that, and to remember that once I tell you what I'm about to tell you," he said giving her hands a gentle squeeze.

She didn't say anything, merely looked at him, still stunned he was actually sitting in front of her.

"There is no easy way to say this, so I'll just say it. I'm Vyrkaryan, I have been my whole vampiric life, as I was the one who founded the council. It started merely to build order for our kind, but when I created you, it became so much more, I used it to protect you, and I still do to this day. When I made you I had no idea you would be so special, and when I realized just how extraordinary you were I got scared. I was scared of your power but mostly scared of what others would do if they found out about your true nature. So I left, to build the Vyrkaryan up, to ensure that I was always at the heart of it, to control whatever information flowed to its highest ranks. It also granted me the benefit of having every single historic text and artifact at my fingertips. It came at a great personal cost, I had to give you up, to let you struggle on your own. But you never were alone, I made sure of that," he smiled slightly, glancing at Philippe.

She followed his gaze and for a moment she didn't understand. And then it clicked. Earlier that day, he had almost slipped and said Xander, and when they entered they exchanged a look

"This entire time, you knew," she said looking from Philippe to her maker, "You let me tell you the things I did, and not once did you think to mention that 'hey I've been working with your maker for god knows how fucking long?!'" she yelled, standing up facing Philippe.

"Zara, it wasn't my place to tell you, and frankly there are bigger things at play," Philippe said, his eyes pleading for her to understand his situation.

"Oh bullshit," she spat, "You let me tell you my pathetic story, knowing the whole time who I was talking about and exactly where to find him. Was anything in the last few months you told me true? Did anything hold even a grain of meaning for you, or were you just playing me to get information to give to him?" she accused pointing a finger back at Xander.

"Zara, that's not fair, he had no idea. I was the one who asked him to come here, to look after all of you, he had no idea who or what you are -- "