The Descendant

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

16.

Miyamoto Kojiro, with Wei Lin on his left and Lee Jin on his right met the dawn in perfect, meditative solemnity. Before him, the sun rose over the far hills and its light dappled off the flowing water of the river reflecting dagger shards across the land.

17.

"You had said last night that you had a boon to ask of me..."

18.

Wei Lin had risen over twenty minutes before Miyamoto, bathed herself in the cold river nearby and returned to her love's side, fully dressed and prepared for whatever her life would bring her from this point forward. He explained his plans, and they argued briefly over it before she inevitably acquiesced. She loved him and would give him whatever he wanted, even this.

They had come to the river together, hand in hand. Lee Jin was already there, waiting for them. As they approached, he rose and stepped to her, drawing his katana, sheath and all and ceremonially handed it over to Wei Lin. She bowed as she took it and placed it into the belt of her dojo's kimono before moving to her place on his left.

19.

"The way ahead is a dark one, Lin-san" he had said to her, "I've spoken to the samurai gathering in the hills. They are not to be swayed, and the 'reformations' continue to bind our hands and take our honor more each day. They will turn against their emperor because his ministers will not allow him to hear them. I can only see one way to make them both listen."

20.

Miyamoto bowed to the sun and, as he rose, picked up the tanto knife, wrapped ritualistically and lovingly in white silk. He softly wrapped his fingers around the handle of the knife and, with his left hand, untied the knots to his kimono, bearing his torso. Wei Lin drew her blade and stood ready.

21.

The mill's hammer continued to fall, mocking the rapid heartbeat that was shattering within Wei Lin's heart.

"What about us," she cried at his words, "what about all that we've meant to each other? You can't just come back to me now only to do this thing!"

"I must. My love, you must understand, I have done all that I can now. I have tried to make both sides listen, but neither will hear me. This is the only way to make my voice be heard."

"But what about us? Why come back to me, why love me only to do this." Tears ran rampant over her cheeks.

"Wei Lin, all that I have done, all the days of my life, I have lived for Japan. You," he moved to her, held her and looked upon her at last as a lover, "you are the only thing I have allowed myself to do for myself. You are the greatest gift this life has ever granted me and still I have prepared you to be what I believe my beloved Japan will come to need. But if I don't do this, then all that we have done, all that you have come to be, will be meaningless."

"I don't care, my love, I can't! Now that we're together as we're meant to be, now that you are everything I need and want in this life, why can't we just leave? Why do you have to do this? Why can't we just live our lives. Together. For us."

Her lover's soft, sad and endearing smile returned.

"Because, my love, that has never been who we are. We live a life of service. And now, if you truly love me as you say you do, there is one service I would have you do for me."

22.

With a slight jerk, the knife entered his body to the far left of his stomach. He paused here, making not a sound. Then, tension beginning to show across his face, Miyamoto drew the blade across his middle. He collapsed forward as the muscles of his stomach seperated from each other and robbed him of the strength of his core. Before he could cry out in pain, Wei Lin's blade flew as it had been trained. She felt only a slight jangle of nerves up her arms as the blade cut through the neck of her love and ended his life with his honor in tact.

23.

"What will you do now?" Lee Jin asked.

The day's work ended as the sun began to settle behind them. Miyamoto Kojiro, the last decendant of a great family line, lay buried in soft soil nearby. Lee Jin followed his instructions perfectly, including handing Wei Lin her new, men's kimono. She would need it, he explained, if she were to get herself out of Kyoto.

"I'm not entirely certain," she answered truthfully. Miyamoto had given his life not only to make his message heard but to make certain she would be free to live her life without being hunted or hounded simply because he had loved her. "What about you, Jin-san."

Lee Jin sighed deeply. "Our master has denied me following after him, so all that I have left is life in a monestary. Fortunately, I have found a wonderful place where I can spend the rest of my life in meaningful meditation." Already, Lee Jin was robed in simple brown robes. "Before I can go, however, I will be taking his swords to the imperial seat along with his final words. For you, my sister, he asked me to give you this final gift."

From within his bundles, Lee Jin pulled forth a long, wooden, walking stick. He handed it over to Wei Lin. She took the staff in her grip and, grabbing just above and below the leather wrap at the thick end, pulled, revealing the hidden blade. The red of the setting sun glinted off of its perfect polish.

"Thank you," she said lovingly, "But why would you call me sister?"

"Why, don't you see, Lin-san, we are all that he left this world that has any meaning. We are his decendants and that will forever bind us together."

Wei Lin dropped her sword only long enough to wrap herself around her new brother. They stood that way for a long while, until the sun had finally set on them. Then, they seperated, said their goodbyes and went their seperate ways, toward whatever destinies awaited them.

End

1...345678