The Entity Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
29 Followers

Michael snapped another picture and smiled crookedly as he consulted the small color screen on the back of the camera. "I asked Rudolph to get it for me."

Teddy rolled onto her stomach, a foot came up and she smiled into the camera, "But you have no money. How did you pay for it?"

"Ah. Well, I bartered my body to all the nurses."

Jumping to her knees on the edge of the bed, Teddy balled her hand into a small fist and hit him playfully on the shoulder, "You better not have, buster." With that she took another swing, landing firmly on the same spot. Michael raised his hands in surrender.

"I give up! I was told I had a trust so I decided to use it! Rudolph thought that was great!"

Falling back in the pile of sweaty sheets, Teddy pointed a finger, and beckoned. Setting the camera on the nightstand, Michael crawled on the bed and rolled in beside her.

"But what do you want pictures for, Michael? You have me."

Propping up on an elbow, Michael toyed with Teddy's hair, his face serious, as Teddy waited for an answer.

"I want to remember you as you are right now."

Teddy became quiet and waited.

"That's not the only thing I bought," his voice was soft, complacent, as he waited for her to ask.

"Come on, Michael, give. I want to see."

Rolling away from Teddy, Michael opened the small drawer on the marble topped, antique nightstand beside the bed and pulled something out. Before closing the drawer, he set the camera inside.

Rolling back to Teddy, his hand closed, he leaned close and kissed her passionately. His hand raked the side of her head and he stared intently into her eyes before asking, "Will you marry me, Teddy?"

His hand opened between them and a small black, satin covered box appeared.

Teddy felt as if her heart would stop, she knew her breathing had. Her fingers shook when she finally reached out and slid them across the wavy finish of the material.

Opening it, she stared in wonder at the square cut diamond.

Finally, exploding in sound and movement, she jumped to her knees and cried, "Yes, Michael! Yes, I'll marry you!" Falling into his arms, they rolled out to sea on a wave of love.

*****

"We've found the carrier. Unfortunately, it's a mobile broadcast, direct from satellite to computer. One of those high-speed, broadband services that you can use in certain geographic locations. In this case, pretty much most the west coast."

Tom slid into a chair opposite the Captain, "Can they narrow it down at all?"

"Actually, they have. They're trying to get it narrowed down more."

Pointing at a map of California, the Captain found the spot along the coast where Linda's car was found. "They have it down to a hundred square miles, and this point is included. We can eliminate about twenty five square miles for overlap into the pacific. From the looks of the picture, Tammy's in some kind of basement or garage, not a boat."

"You've seen her?" Tom was ecstatic.

"Yeah, unfortunately we have."

The Captain turned his laptop around and an enhanced reproduction of the broadcast could be seen filling the screen.

Tom's enthusiasm tumbled with realization. Finally he asked, "And Linda?"

"No sign of her yet. Her name hasn't been mentioned in chat either."

Tom just stared, unbelieving, at Tammy's naked form as she twisted slightly on her shackles, intently watching something off screen.

Pointing at the screen, he asked, "Who's she?"

"I sent a cropped enhancement to Pete over at SFPD. They've confirmed that she's Allessandra Martinelli from the hotel. Unfortunately, if that's Martinelli, then we can be pretty sure that Robert Nunn is there."

Resolve setting in, Tom finally asked, "What are we doing?"

"The county has redirected all units from the search," the Captain paused before continuing, "for Linda. The state has called units into the area. The FBI is also organizing, since it involves kidnap and one of their fugitives. Unfortunately, there are two subdivisions, both with over a hundred houses, in the defined area. That's aside from all the other houses built out along the coast in the wooded areas. They're all doing a house to house, but we can't actually demand to go inside and search until the fed's arrive. We have no search warrant."

Tom stood and hollered over his shoulder as he ran from the Captain's office, "Let me get one of our mobile units. Tell Michael what we're doing. I'll meet you at your car!"

_____

Tammy's mind had wandered again. Her legs and back ached. She had stopped thinking about the here and now. Her mind was on the other side. She was plumbing the abyss of the ever after and wondering if the next few hours would be erased. She couldn't imagine heaven with the memories she was about to be served.

Jerking, her eyes focused, and she could see that Bob was up to his knees in the grave he was making. How deep, she wondered.

Scanning the room again, she could find nothing within reach of either foot that might save them. Her eyes passed over a glass of water sitting on the work bench and she suddenly felt parched.

Allessandra whimpered and Tammy inspected her face. Eye's still closed; she seemed to have found refuge in some type of sleep, she thought.

Hearing a harsh clank, she twisted a little and watched as Bob, shovel lying in the doorway, pulled his shirt on and started buttoning it.

Tammy actually kicked and struggled as he walked out of the room, stopping to pick up the shovel.

"That's good. Keep doing that. Let them get their money's worth." Bob just chuckled as he walked past, the smell of fresh soil and sweat hung in his wake like death's perfume.

Her eyes darted as he leaned over the computer and typed. While she could see their image, the chat box was too small to make out. She could tell there were responses, as black lines scrolled up and Bob smiled.

Finally straightening, Bob stretched and turned toward Tammy. "You know? That was a lot of work. I think I'll have to change the plan next time. I should have let you and the bitch dig it."

She could feel her eyes well and wasn't sure if it was from fear or anger. Silently, she watched Bob step to the camera, stop and stare into the lens, and wave, before walking past them once more, raking his hand across her stomach, and heading upstairs.

"I need something to drink. And a potty break," he said over his shoulder as his form disappeared.

Pausing on the stairs, he added, "But don't worry, Tammy, I'll try not to take too long. I know you want to get started." His laugh cut as sharp as any knife.

*****

"Why here, Captain?" Tom could see the ocean as the Captain negotiated the hard left turn, skirting the crime scene tape.

"Everyone else is working the subdivisions. Let's just call it a hunch. Watch for mail boxes. These places could be so far off the road we'd never see them."

*****

She could hear the floor creak as Bob moved around. First the kitchen, then he walked down the hall, his steps heavy, the pipe shook as he passed.

Finally, she heard the toilet flush and Bob's steps came back down the hall.

She tried to stop it. She was shamed by it, but there was no way to control the quaking. Tears started to roll freely as Bob took his first step on the stairs. Her mouth contorted and her knees finally gave way, the pain in her shoulders was lost to utter despair as she heard the second step.

Her mind slipped to a sunny day on the bank of a lake. The water looked blue and her long red locks were done up in pigtails. Her father had just put a worm on her hook and she distinctly recalled saying yuck. Her mother sat on a blanket behind them and proclaimed, "I told you, Harold." Dad just smiled.

Another heavy step and Tammy thought about Tommy Jessup and his mom's minivan. A sweaty, fumbling, few hours at the drive-in where they missed most of Good Will Hunting on the big screen, but she came home a woman.

Another step and she recalled her mother's funeral. Her father somber and her own heart broken.

She could here Bob saying something as he took the next step. She shut him out completely and thought of Linda. Her smiling eyes and silky black hair. The small bubble of warmth and smells they made together under the covers. Clenching her eyes she whispered, "I'll miss you, Linda."

*****

"Yes, Ma'am. I know, Ma'am. Yes, we will."

Turning to Tom the Captain said, "You think her eighty year old husband could have them in the cellar?"

"Right," was Tom's deflated answer.

"I saw two mailboxes together just up the road. Maybe we should split up."

"Right," Tom said again reflecting the Captain's fowl mood.

*****

A loud crashing sound broke through her thoughts. Eyes wide, she caught sight of the wine rack out of the corner of her eye, as it leaned, slowly at first, finally crashing to the hard concrete floor.

The few bottles of wine exploded and a deep crimson color spread around broken glass.

Trying to turn, she caught sight of Bob as he staggered past her, tripping on one of the bricks holding down the white plastic.

"Fuck!" Bob was trying to reach over his shoulder to a point just out of reach where a long kitchen carving knife stuck out of his back.

Unable to reach it, he struggled across the plastic, falling on the slippery surface, looking over his shoulder, an expression of real panic on his face.

"I'll fucking kill you!" Spittle and red drool made a spray across the plastic.

Tammy's vision became blurry as panic and her raised arms constricted her breathing. Her vision started to tunnel as a form limped past her.

At the edge of consciousness, she watched as the shadowy form limped up to Bob, paused and pulled the knife out of his back, throwing it to the floor in front of him. Still limping, the shadowy form continued on to the work bench, picked up the handgun and turned, keeping it pointed at the floor.

Tammy's heart pounded in her ears. She struggled to yell but only managed a horse whisper, "Kill the bastard!"

"Pick up the knife, asshole!"

Tammy recognized the voice just before she passed out. She actually smiled.

Linda stared at Bob, sprawled on the floor, and repeated, "Pick the fucking knife up, asshole."

"Fuck you," Bob managed, as he rolled on his side, five feet from Linda, "Let em put me in jail!"

The shot reverberated in the confines of the concrete basement and Allessandra's eyes sprung open just in time to watch Linda limp to Bob's side, lean close to his ear, and whisper, "Oops. My aim was off. I think I shot the wrong head off."

Bob was propped up on an elbow, mouth open, as he watched crimson spread around the crotch of his pants.

He didn't even notice as Linda picked up the knife, placed it in his hand and squeezed his fingers around it.

Sure, Captain, he was brandishing the knife at me,she thought, just before the burning pain in her left side overwhelmed her and she collapsed at Tammy's feet.

*****

"Yeah. I heard it too." They both jumped back in the car and the Captain drove while they watched for a mailbox, house or lane on the right.

"There!" Tom exclaimed, pointing.

Once on the small gravel lane, the Captain floored it, the car sliding and throwing gravel as they brushed shrubs and saplings on both sides.

Skidding to a stop, Tom was first at the front door jerking the glass storm door open and, seeing the Captain barreling like an angry bull in his direction, stepped to the side and watched as the obstacle was turned into a splintered wreck.

"Look for a basement," the Captain said as Tom followed him in.

"I found it," Tom yelled and started down the stairs.

"Call for an ambulance!" the Captain heard before he could follow Tom.

Detouring to the kitchen, he dialed 911.

Chapter 29

Four long candles burned yellow, the light flickered occasionally when a black suited waiter walked by. A string quartet softly played a waltz several yards away. Michael stood in his tuxedo, walked around the table and held his hand out to Teddy.

It had been a busy two days. Michael had been confused at first but then became caught up in the mood as Rudolph took care of legalities and Teddy shopped for a wedding gown.

Michael had decided to keep his new namesake, Thomas Blackburn and he and Rudolph had completed all the necessary paperwork. He suddenly found himself a moderately wealthy man with his new bank account. He softly thanked his benefactor, the elder Mrs. Theodora Elizabeth Miller, once again.

The cafeteria on the ground floor was transformed to an elegant ball room with the help of curtains, flowers, and lighting. The staff and their guests sat at white linen covered tables a good distance away.

Beth was snuggled into the Doctor, his hand draped around the back of her chair. Rudolph had no family, and as far as anyone knew, no significant other. Teddy's nurse, a portly woman in her sixties, sat at his side, hanging on every word he said.

"I'm not sure, my fair maiden, if we can dance, but I'm sure we can stand close and move to the music."

Teddy was resplendent in her white silk wedding gown, small pearls sewn into the bodice every half inch. A small cameo hung on a gold chain, around her neck.

"Yes, my fine sir. I'm sure we can."

As they stepped to the dance floor defined by the tables that surrounded it, a hush fell over the well wishers, followed by applause and cheers.

Teddy looked up and offered a demure smile as Michael's arms came up and gently nudged her around the dance floor.

"But how did you, dear?"

"What's that, Teddy?"

"The ring? I mean, you can't just pick that out of a catalogue and order by phone."

Michael smiled as they dipped slightly before stepping in unison to their right with the music.

"Let's just say I knew exactly what I wanted and where to get it."

Teddy sighed and leaned, "I love it, Thomas, as I love you."

The waltz ended and they walked hand in hand back to their table. Wanting something a little livelier, the Doctor conferred with the quartet and some light jazz was produced as he and Beth took to the dance floor. A minute into the song, Rudolph and the good nurse joined in as several other couples came forth.

Leaning in, Teddy said, "Thomas?"

"Yes, Teddy?"

"I was talking to Rudolph today and he said I have some business to take care of. I wondered if you would mind terribly if we combine a little business with our honeymoon."

Thomas leaned across the table and took Teddies hand in his, the gold wedding band glinted, "I'm yours, Teddy, a man of leisure with love in his heart. Whatever you want." Leaning down, he brought her hand up and kissed the square cut diamond, a twin to Linda's, before moving up to the back of her hand.

At two in the morning, festivities came to an end as Thomas stood to offer a final thank you to the guests, and one last toast.

Everyone stood at their tables, Champaign flutes in hand, as Thomas spoke, "To a very long life and a very long love, in the arms of my beautiful wife!"

"Here! Here!" echoed around the room and one final dance was enjoyed by all.

*****

The Captain continued explaining as they came up the stairs, "No. Her office called and insisted I return their misplaced employee. She did say she would call tonight when she got in."

Linda had spent the last four days in the hospital. The prognosis was two cracked and one broken rib, one sprained ankle, several cuts, scratches, bruises and dehydration. Tammy had been kept for two nights with severe dehydration and trauma. Her wrists where black and bruised from the shackles, but other than that she was in much better shape than Linda. She'd been kept sedated most the time before finally being sent home with a bottle of pills and an admonishment to rest.

The nurses had made no comment when they discovered Linda, the second night of their stay at the hospital, curled on the edge of Tammy's bed, both sound asleep.

The Captain noted the disappointed face as he continued to keep a slow pace, Linda leaning on his arm, as they climbed the stairs together.

"I just can't believe the guy lived," Linda finally exclaimed as they rounded the third landing, her eye's drawn to the place along the wall she'd propped Tammy up, promising to protect her.

"If you can call it that," the Captain chuckled before adding, "I see we need to send you back to the firing range. I mean, how could you aim for his chest from five feet away and blow his manhood, family jewels and all, away. He'll be the bell of the ball in the pen."

Lind didn't laugh but she was smiling by the time they made the fourth landing.

"And I don't think I told you. We've finally found someone whose pockets haven't been lined by that group at Waverly Hills. We have a search warrant and we're going in three days from now. They refused to make it sooner citing the non-violent nature of the situation"

It was a triumph, but a small one. Tom had called yesterday to tell her that Michael was gone again. Same as before. One minute he and Tom were chatting and the next, nothing.

"I want to go in with you, Captain."

"What about the three weeks rest and recovery the doctor ordered?"

"Right, you know me. I'll be bouncing off the walls by tomorrow."

"We'll see, Woo." Taking her key, he unlocked the door, pushed it open and stepped aside.

Linda stepped into the living room and searched for the light switch. Just as it came on, the room burst into loud cheers and whistles.

Tom yelled, "Welcome the conquering hero!"

Pete Bronson stepped up and added, "I knew giving you a gun was a mistake."

Her father stepped out of the small crowd and hugged her. Her mother followed. Her brother leaned in and whispered, "But did you have to shoot his balls off?"

Tom's wife showed up with a tray of Champaign glasses, one filled with 7-Up for Linda. "Sorry, dear, doctor's orders. You're still taking pain meds."

A few of her crew were there along with Pete's latest flame.

Forty five minutes later, the Captain was the last to leave. Placing his hands on her shoulders at the door, looking in her eyes, he said, "You did good, Linda. I'm very proud of you. I understand there's going to be some kind of ceremony at the Mayor's office this Saturday." He smiled and kissed her on the forehead before leaving.

Her parent's told her they'd be at the Hilton for the night, if she needed anything and that they wanted to see her for lunch the next day before they flew back to Los Angeles. Linda decided parents would be parents whether you were thirteen, thirty or sixty. She smiled and made her promise.

The apartment suddenly felt cold and empty. The well wishers had left, Tammy had returned to New York, a killer had been brought to justice, and Michael was gone. Again.

Picking up her bag from the hospital, she kicked her shoes off in the middle of the living room floor and headed for her bedroom. Turning the corner of the short hall, she froze, noticing a small crack of light coming from below the closed door. Her heart pounded as she quietly set the bag on the floor at her feet.

Stooping slightly, she padded quietly toward the door. Seeing it wasn't latched, she turned the knob back slowly so no noise would be made and pushed it open just enough to see inside. Pressing her nose into the frame, she peeked through the small crack and froze when she saw her six redheaded raggedy Ann dolls stacked at the head of her bed, Tammy under the covers, her red hair a backdrop for the dolls.

Pushing the door open, she stepped to the end of the bed.

"I thought you'd never get rid of them," Tammy said, "My friends and I were about to fall asleep."

"But I thought-"

"No. I didn't. I'm still here. The Captain managed to convince Mr. Thompson, my HR director back in New York, that between convalescence and helping you," Tammy shoved half the Raggedy Ann's off the bed "I'd need at least three more weeks. When the Captain explained the highlights of the past week and pointed out that he should watch CNN more often, Mr. Thompson said to tell me not to worry."

JPMMURPHY
JPMMURPHY
29 Followers