The Fighting Finnegan's Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers

The early morning swim was just what the doctor ordered. The water was refreshing and his head felt a lot better. Jack and Bidgee then headed back to the cabin. Breakfast was soon made and eaten by both dog and master. After cleaning up, Jack let Bidgee out for a run and followed slowly behind. Jack knew he would have to head back to the city tomorrow, as arrangements had to be made for his boxing future.

He knew he would have to contact Scott Rankin today and arrange to meet as soon as possible. Scott Rankin had been Peter Johns' protégé at IMG until Billy Finnegan came on board. Scott was known as an honest, straight forward and out of the box thinker. He cared for his clients and not exclusively the bottom line. Scott was nicknamed 'Jerry Maguire' in the sports management business for the way he treated his clients.

It had not taken long for Billy Finnegan and Scott Rankin to become bitter enemies. This was mostly Billy's doing. Scott had taken his demotion fairly well when Billy first joined IMG but Billy made Scott's position in the company untenable.

Scott's life became miserable as Billy stole his clients within the firm, humiliated Scott in front of Peter Johns at every opportunity and generally made his life a living hell. Peter Johns thought it was great as it drove his sports agents to 'higher levels'.

The breaking point came when Billy was making jokes with staff about the appearance of Scott's wife Eve. He called her the 'white ghost who walks' and that was the only printable comment he made. When he started leaving paper cut outs of what appeared to be white stick figures all around the office he crossed the line. What Billy did not know nor bothered to find out is that Eve Rankin was recovering from cancer thus her pale and skinny appearance.

Scott literally did a Jerry Maguire and quit IMG taking several high profile Rugby League, Rugby Union, AFL, Soccer, Boxing and Cricket sport stars with him. To rub salt into the wounds of IMG many of these athletes were under Billy's 'management'. Scott Rankin was now IMG's biggest problem.

Scott knew IMG's methods inside and out and made it his purpose to cause IMG inconvenience whenever he could. Rankin Management was a small but profitable operation and they were very well regarded.

--------------------

At 9:30am, Jack made a call to Rankin Management. Even though it was Sunday Morning, he was confident that Scott would take his call. Rankin Management was run out of the Rankin's home in an attached office built on their large property.

"Good Morning Eve speaking"

"Hello...I was wondering if I could speak with Scott Rankin please"

"Scott is busy at the moment can I take a message?"

"Yes could you have Scott call Jack Finnegan when he is available?"

With that, Jack left his mobile number and thanked Eve Rankin for her time.

Within 2 minutes, Jack's mobile started ringing. Jack answered

"Good Morning...Jack Finnegan speaking."

"Jack its Scott Rankin returning your call."

"Scott...thanks for calling back. I know it must be a bit of a surprise for a Finnegan to be ringing you. No doubt you may be suspicious."

"Well sure I'm surprised Jack but believe me I don't hold any negative feelings towards you or your father Gary. "

Jack noticed that that feeling didn't extend to Billy Finnegan nor should it he thought.

"Scott I'm glad you said that. As I have been told you are a man who judges everybody individually. I could understand you not liking the Finnegan name however..."

"Well Jack that's nothing to worry about. The past is the past and I should thank IMG as now I make my own decisions and run my business the way I want to. Although this is very pleasant chatting to you on this Sunday morning I'm sure you didn't ring to discuss past events that frankly have no bearing on you."

"You are correct Scott. I'm sorry to bother you on a Sunday but was hoping I could meet with you tomorrow regarding representation. Scott ...Scott are you there...?"

"Sorry Jack I'm just a little stunned. I mean I would love to meet with you but I have to say I just assumed you would be with IMG. I mean Billy was always bragging about you and he made it plain as day that you would be with IMG when you needed to be represented."

"Well Billy doesn't make decisions for me. In fact Billy has no bearing in my life period".

"Ok Jack no problem. Look I'm tied up tomorrow and then have a trip out of town for 3 days and will be back Friday. We could meet Monday morning I suppose but I don't think it would be enough time as my meeting is at 12pm and will run for the rest of the day. Friday would be better"

"Scott can I ask what you and your lovely wife are doing today?"

"Well actually Jack nothing special we were just having a lazy day really."

"How would you like to be my guests at the beach cabin I'm currently in? I could cook a late lunch and you are more than welcome to stay the night."

"Well Jack that is a mighty tempting offer. Let me speak with Eve and I'll give you a call back."

"No problems Scott. I'll await your call."

With that, Jack hung up and decided to check on Bidgee. Hopefully he could be well on his way on starting this process with Scott. Jack tried to give Gary a call but the phone was engaged or off the hook. As Jack hung up the phone rang instantly.

"Hello"

"Hi Jack its Scott."

"Hi Scott what's the verdict?"

"Well Jack, Eve and I would be delighted to take up your invitation. Just give us the directions and we'll be there in a couple of hours."

With that, Jack gave direction to the cabin and assured Scott all would be ready on his arrival.

--------------------

Gary answered the door a little after 10am and found Billy and Cathy on his doorstep.

"Jesus Billy I said lunch not breakfast."

"I know Dad but I need to speak with you before lunch. Is Jack around?"

"No son Jack has gone away for the weekend."

"Ok that's fine."

"Well come on in. Hello Cathy how are you?"

"Hi Mr Finnegan pretty good thanks"

With that said Billy and Cathy entered the house and sat down in the living room.

"Dad do you mind taking the phone off the hook?"

"Sure Son.... is it that serious?"

"Yeah Dad it's life changing"

--------------------

Jack continued to try Gary but the phone was still engaged. He would have liked his Dad to come and meet with Scott and Eve but no matter. He thought he would give his Uncle Matt a call just to feel him out on this decision. Jack tried Matt and Vera's home phone first.

"Hello"

"G'day Uncle Matt...it's Jack"

"Jack my boy, hope everything is okay at the cabin."

"Everything is great. I really appreciate you letting me stay here."

"Jack you know the Cabin is available anytime you need it. By the way great fight. You are going all the way son."

"Thanks Uncle Matt I really appreciate the support you and Aunt Vera give me. Look have you got time to talk business at the moment."

"Sure Jack, what's on your mind? Please don't tell me we have to negotiate with Billy and IMG again....that was the most painful experience of my life."

"No Uncle Matt. I've actually taken your advice and I'm getting representation."

"Oh thank god finally this family feud is at an end. Billy will be happy."

"Well he won't be happy. Actually Uncle Matt I'm going with a different Management Group."

"Who?"

"Rankin Management. In fact Scott and Eve Rankin are coming to see me at the cabin today to discuss terms."

"Have you told your Father?"

"No I've been trying the home phone but it's off the hook."

"Well Jack don't sign anything until you've spoken with him. All I can say is you sure like to fight. Billy will really try to stick it to you now."

"I'm my own man Uncle Matt."

"I know son and we are all proud of you. Just follow your instincts. Let me know how it turns out. I won't say anything to Gary until you give me the all clear."

"Thanks Uncle Matt."

Jack decided to sit outside and wait for the Rankin's. He had a bit of thinking to do before they arrived.

--------------------

Gary passed the phone off the hook and returned to the living room with some coffee for everyone.

"So life changing you say?"

"Yeah Dad for everyone and I mean everyone"

Cathy decided not to interrupt and just listen to the two Finnegan men talk. She had a feeling in the pit of her stomach that Jack was going to be hung out to dry. She just hoped she was wrong.

"Well this isn't going to be another IMG sales pitch for Jack is it Son?"

"No Dad this literally has nothing to do with Jack."

"I have a name for you Dad, Ernie Johnson"

"Ernie Johnson...as in Ernie Johnson, Amateur Australian Middleweight Champion, Ernie Johnson?"

"The very one Dad. He signed with IMG on Friday."

"Wow son that's incredible! Every man and his dog wanted to sign him."

"The news gets better Dad I'm his Manager and he's going pro."

"Well done Billy. That's fantastic."

"Dad it's more than fantastic. He needs new training facilities and a trainer and he wants to work with the best. That's you Dad."

"Son you must be kidding."

"No Dad I'm not, part of the reason the kid signed with IMG was because I work there and he knew I was your son."

"So what do you say Dad do you want to be on Team Johnson?"

"Son I would love to train Ernie but I still have commitments with Jack."

"I know that Dad but surely you could train them together?"

"Well sure Son I mean if Jack is in agreement."

"Why wouldn't he be Dad? You told me he needs more quality boxers around him and to work with him. Ernie Johnson fits that criteria."

"For once Billy I agree completely. What's the catch?"

Cathy Reilly thought to herself here it comes. Her heart felt like it was in her mouth. Jack was about to get screwed.

"Well Dad it really isn't much of a catch but I need you to sign a contract with IMG today."

"Why the rush Son and why the contract?"

"Dad, Ernie Johnson is hot property. You wouldn't believe the hoops we had to jump through to sign this kid. We have trainers literally lined up at the door to work with IMG and Ernie. Peter Johns wants a quick answer as Ernie is IMG's star recruit otherwise he wants me to sign another trainer tomorrow. Dad, Ernie wants to work with you. He respects Jack as a fighter and knows you are the man behind his rise to the top."

"I wouldn't say that Billy. Jack is a once in a generation fighter."

"Yeah Dad well so is Ernie and quite frankly he needs your guidance more than Jack does at this point of his career."

"Let me try Jack now. I want to speak with him first."

--------------------

Jack heard the car before he saw it. Down the road came a BMW with two people in the car. The Rankin's had arrived. Jack turned off his phone, as he didn't want any interruptions.

--------------------

"I can't get on to Jack; it's going direct to voicemail."

"Dad I have the contract here for you. Have a read over it I promise it is very generous and offers some great monetary incentives."

"Well son I'll have a read over it. While I'm doing that you can prepare lunch."

"Sure Dad I'll fire up the barbeque. Let's go Cathy"

With that, Gary started to read the contract. IMG was offering him a very generous contract. Not only would he be getting 10% of the winning purse but also he would be given a very generous annual salary to be 'retained 'as a trainer. There were large incentives also built in for the progress Ernie made up the rankings.

The real prize however was that IMG would upgrade Harry's Gym with all the latest equipment and help with operating costs. This was too good to be true. Billy must nearly run IMG for Gary to be offered this contract. This was just unheard of. It was so good that it would be very difficult to say no.

Cathy was feeling very sick with worry. Billy was a slick one, if Gary signed that contract the Finnegan family would implode. Cathy needed to speak with Jack. Cathy excused herself and went to the bathroom from there she made a call to Jack's mobile but it went to voicemail. Cathy left a message.

"Jack I know I'm the last person you want to hear from but you need to call me now. Your boxing future depends on it!"

Cathy then returned to the kitchen and started preparing the salads for lunch. She quietly cried as she felt the last pieces of her heart breaking.

--------------------

Bidgee was the first to greet the visitors. The Border Collie was all over the Rankin's. Clearly, the Rankin's were dog people and Bidgee's reaction was a very good sign that the female in Jack's life liked the couple.

"Scott, Eve good to meet you both."

"The pleasures all ours Jack. Isn't that right Scott."

"It sure is. I'm a big fan Jack. You are one hell of a great boxer."

"Well enough of this praise. My ego's big enough as it is, come on in." Jack laughed

"I love your dog Jack. What's her name?"

"It's Bidgee and she sure likes you and Eve."

Jack led the couple into the beach cabin and they were suitably impressed. Jack had prepared seafood and salad. Jack opened a bottle of wine and they all made small talk while eating lunch.

After lunch was finished Eve asked if Jack would mind if she took Bidgee for a walk along the beach and she thought she'd go for a swim as well. Jack had no problems with that arrangement and showed Eve where she could change.

With that done, Jack offered Scott a cold beer and he accepted without hesitation. For some strange reason Jack felt a real strong connection already with Scott and Eve.

"That was a mighty fine meal Jack. Eve was suitably impressed and she is hard to please."

"Ah it was nothing Scott, my pleasure. You two make a great couple."

"Thanks mate I couldn't agree more."

"So tell me what's on your mind?"

"Look Scott...I won't beat around the bush. I need representation for myself and my Father. My Uncle Matt has been representing me but he has a business to run and quite frankly doesn't have the expertise. The last negotiation was with IMG and it was painful and we were totally out of our element."

"Yeah I know how IMG operates Jack. They would screw you over for five cents."

"Well I don't know if you saw the Cobb fight on Friday..."

"I was actually in the crowd Jack...great fight."

"Wow I didn't realise that..."

"One of my fighters was on the undercard. He's not a bad prospect."

"Well you know that doors should start to open for me now but that also means we have to deal with the likes of IMG."

"Not only that Jack, you will also start getting call for all types of things from advertising campaigns to helping out charities."

"Exactly Scott...that's why we need you."

"Jack I'll be honest. Rankin Management would love to represent you. You are in my opinion a future world champion but I really need to know why you haven't gone with your brother."

"That's a fair question Scott. My brother and I are no longer on speaking terms in fact I gave him his crooked nose. I want someone who wants to work with me on my career not someone who thinks he owns my career and wants to squeeze every last cent out of it."

"Well that's fair enough Jack. Your answer impresses me. The fact is we are comparatively a very small company but we like to offer quality not quantity. We think of all our clients as family and I'm happy to give you names of some of our clients for you to check on us."

"Scott you have been on my radar for quite a while. I have discreetly checked into you via some mutual friends. I know you and Eve run a tight ship and treat all your clients like friends. I must say your management fees seem fair. You don't take more than what appears to be reasonable in return for all your hard work."

"Well Jack I know this sounds corny but we really aren't in it just for the money. Eve's cancer scare taught us that there are more important things in life than money and power. We do very well though and make a good living. We just don't believe we should be stripping our clients like the bigger companies. Anyway the tax man does enough damage as it is."

"Amen to that brother"

"Look Scott the only real stipulation I have is that my Father continues to train me."

"Not a problem Jack. We don't like to fix something that isn't broken. We like our clients to have control in that area anyway. We are there for advice, guidance and recommendations but the final decision is yours. Anyway your Father is a fantastic trainer and we can work with him anyway you see fit."

"Scott I'd like to sign with you today. Just let me try my Dad again."

"Sure Jack I'll just grab my laptop and printer from the car and get working on the contract."

Jack went to try Gary again. "The phone is still off the hook. Well I'll have to make the decision by myself." Jack muttered to himself.

--------------------

Back in town Gary, Cathy and Billy had just finished lunch. Cathy excused herself to go visit her mother she could not bear to look at Billy any longer. With Cathy gone, Billy pounced.

"Well Dad what's the decision."

"Son before I sign I want to talk about Jack."

"Ok...what about Jack."

"You're not trying to screw him over are you?"

"No Dad...I admit I was probably over aggressive in my pursuit of Jack but we live and learn."

"So there are no problems in still training Jack?"

"No Dad, it would be preferable if he came into the IMG family but Peter has assured me that an unrepresented or independent fighter is fine as long as it doesn't clash with IMG's commitments."

"Promise me son that this isn't about forcing Jack into a corner."

"No Dad this isn't about Jack. It's about you as a trainer and the bonus is Jack will have some real decent Gym competition."

"Ok son I accept that."

Cathy returned from her visit and had the 'honour' of witnessing Gary sign the contract. 'You beauty' thought Billy. The trap had just shut; Jack was now IMG's.

-------------------------

Meanwhile at the cabin Scott said "well here is the contract Jack, read it over and I would advise you to get legal advice."

"Call me stupid but I trust you Scott. You are only taking 5% of winning purses, covering training costs and taking a bigger slice of the promotional work which is only fair. I can live with that. Thanks for adding the clause that I can pick my trainer and support staff. I'll sign. Uncle Matt will be relieved as will Dad. Finally someone to take over the management and we can concentrate on boxing."

Jack signed the contract and was now officially part of Rankin Management.

"Jack I'll have a business plan to you by Friday and with your consent I'll release a media statement tomorrow that you are now represented by Rankin Management."

"Sounds good Scott, want another beer?"

-----------------

Cathy had returned to the apartment and Billy had gone over to Peter Johns' house with the contract. Cathy made a decision she was done with the Finnegan family but she owed it to Jack to speak with him and warn him. She pulled her phone out and dialled Jack's number.

Jack was just seeing Scott and Eve off when his phone rang. The Rankin's decided to head back to the city and get started on the press release. Jack waved goodbye and answered the phone figuring it was his Dad returning his call.

"Dad...."

"No Jack its Cathy...don't hang up."

"What do you want Cathy?"

"I need to see you, it's important."

"I told you we have nothing to talk about...you made your decision."

"This isn't about us Jack! It's about you, your boxing and more importantly your Dad."

"What's happening? Is Dad ok?"

"Gary is fine but we need to meet. Where are you, I'll come to you."

Jack reluctantly gave her the address. Cathy knew the way to the beach house as they had spent many romantic interludes in this very cabin.

What was going on? Should he try his Dad again? He decided he'd wait for Cathy and find out what she wanted first. With that thought Jack switched off his phone and waited for Cathy to arrive.

davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers