The Gathering

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thomas Cassidy rose from his chair, "Excuse my ignorance Mrs. Edwards, Mr. Gallagher. I see your point; I never thought of the connection between my father's actions and Mr. Dobbs. Please accept my apologies." Turning to Dobbs he said, "I won't require your services any longer Mr. Dobbs."

"But you can't........" Dobbs began.

Cassidy interrupted him. "Oh but I can. Our business is finished sir. Please leave."

Dobbs started to protest and argue but Dillon stepped in. "I suggest that you leave Prescott carpet bagger; I don't think you'll like the conditions around here. Chicago might be a healthier place for you."

The attorney looked at the four people facing him. Dillon was the one that he worried about the most. The tall man face was a study in hatred and his eyes looked cold and deadly. "Very well Mr. Cassidy, I'll leave on the next stage." He turned, left the parlor, and went back to his room to pack.

"Please sit down Mrs. Edwards. I know this must be distasteful for you but I would like to continue our discussion," Cassidy almost pleaded. He was upset at himself for not seeing the connection between his father's behavior and the attorney's part in it.

Eleanor looked to Dillon for guidance and at his nod she and Elizabeth returned to their chairs. Dillon walked to the door and watched Dobbs climb the stairs. When the man was out of sight Dillon returned to his spot behind Eleanor.

As everyone sat back down, a waiter from the hotel's dining room entered carrying a serving tray. "I took the liberty of ordering tea for us. Or would you prefer coffee?" Thomas asked Eleanor.

In spite of the situation with Dobbs, Eleanor had to smile at the boy's manners. He's been raised well, she thought. Eleanor said, "Tea will be fine. But let's not turn this into a social call." After the tea was served, Eleanor asked, "Why do you want the Triple E so badly? There are other ranches in the county you could buy."

"Yes there are and if things go according to plan I will attempt to buy them. But your ranch and its grazing rights are right in the middle of my holdings. I have to drive my cattle around your place to move them from one grazing area to another. The same obstacle applies to watering the herd."

Cassidy refilled the tea cups himself then said, "I understand that you hold 800 acres with grazing rights to another 400. Is that correct Mrs. Edwards?" Eleanor nodded and Thomas continued, "I'll give you $6000 dollars for the Triple E. That price would be for all land, structures, stock, and water rights." Turning to Dillon he smiled and said, "I heeded your warning Mr. Gallagher."

Dillon returned the smile and nodded. Eleanor was a little surprise; she had been ready to dicker. That's a fair price she thought. She turned to look at Dillon but he had played too much poker to let his feelings show during a business transaction.

"I can't guarantee the grazing rights Mr. Cassidy," Eleanor informed him. "Jim Simpson let us run our cattle on his spread; that's the extra 400 acres. You'll have to make a deal with him."

"I've already come to an accommodation with Mr. Simpson," Thomas replied. "Of course that's only if you decide to accept my offer." He stood and bowed to the ladies and nodded at Dillon.

"Take a day or two to think it over Mrs. Edwards; I don't want to pressure you. If I may, I'll ride out to the ranch on Monday for your answer. Thank you all for meeting with me."

Cassidy left the parlor but as he got to the door he turned back to Dillon. "Rest assured Mr. Gallagher, Dobbs will be out of town by tomorrow. I'll find a local attorney to help me." He continued to the entrance of the hotel and went outside.

After a couple of minutes Eleanor said, "Well the boy's got good manners anyway. Let's head back home; we can discuss his offer over supper."

Eleanor, Elizabeth, and Dillon were sitting in the breeze way after supper. Ethan was inside doing his lessons and Oso started for the bunkhouse but Eleanor called him back. "Ethan, come out here please." Turning to Oso she said, "We're going to have a family meeting so sit down Oso. You have a stake in this too."

The big man smiled warmly and sat on the walkway leaning back against a wall; Ethan came outside and sat next to Oso.

"So what do you think about Cassidy's offer?" Eleanor's question was directed at the whole group. Before anyone could answer she asked Dillon, "And what did Cassidy mean about you warning him?"

Dillon smiled and replied, "I told him to put his best offer on the table and not to try and horse trade with you." Looking at Eleanor his smile got bigger. "I knew that if he tried to haggle over the price you'd cut him off at the knees and walk out."

Eleanor chuckled, "You're right, I probably would have. Well, should I sell the ranch?"

"You're the owner, it's your decision," Dillon said. Elizabeth and Oso nodded in agreement.

"It's a family decision. If you all want to stay I won't sell the place," Eleanor replied. "Ethan what do you think?"

"Me?" The thirteen year old boy said, surprised that his mother wanted his opinion. Eleanor smiled and nodded. "I'd just as soon move on," Ethan said. "I miss Pa and everything about this place reminds me of him and how he left us."

"Fair enough son," Eleanor said. "How about you Oso, what do you think?"

"I just want to be with the family Senora. Where we live is not important."

"Elizabeth?"

She looked at Dillon for a few seconds. "Whither thou goest I will go," Elizabeth quoted and smiled at her husband. She paused and added with a small smile, "Although it wouldn't bother me to leave." Dillon reached over and took Elizabeth's hand, kissing the back of it.

"And how about you Dillon? What do you want to do?" Eleanor asked.

Dillon smiled at Elizabeth, "I've wandered all over since the war looking for something; I found it here. Not the ranch but my family; somebody to belong to. The place doesn't matter as long as we're all together." He stopped to gather himself. "It's still your decision Eleanor."

Eleanor looked around at her family, thought for a few minutes, and finally said, "The price he's offering is fair and if the terms of the sale are good, I'd like to accept the offer. I feel like Ethan, every day this place reminds me that John was killed for it. Eleanor paused and looked over the ranch for a minute. "Hope John won't be disappointed in me. Well, that's enough for tonight; we'll talk some more in the morning."

Dillon made one last turn around the house and barn before turning in. He was both happy and sad that the Triple E would probably be sold. As he stepped onto the breeze way headed for his bedroom, Eleanor came out of the shadows.

"In spite of what you said, I get the impression you don't want to leave here Dillon," she said.

"No, I meant what I said. Being with family is more important than where. But I've wandered around enough, I want to put down roots," he replied.

"Am I doing the right thing? Should I stay and carry on John's legacy?"

"From what you and Elizabeth have told me, you stayed out here because this place was John's dream. It wasn't yours but you stayed for him. I think you have to move on now. You need to follow your own dream, whatever it is." Dillon paused and then gave a little laugh. "The sermons over, I'm done preachin."

Eleanor gave her son in law a hug and said, "Thanks for understanding." Shaking off the melancholy feeling she said good night and went to her room.

Sunday was a day of rest, at least as much as it could be on a ranch. The day to day chores still had to be done but nothing major was started or worked on that day. Eleanor and Elizabeth put together a picnic lunch and the whole family went down by the spring branch to eat and laze around. Nothing much was said about selling the ranch, there would be time enough that evening and the next morning to make a final decision.

Monday, just about mid day, Thomas Cassidy and another man rode up to the ranch house. Dillon came up from the corral to greet them and Eleanor stepped out onto the porch. The two men waited for an invitation before dismounting; it was the polite thing to do.

Eleanor nodded at them and said, "Step down and come in out of the sun. Can I get you something to drink?"

Thomas replied, "A drink of water would be welcome Mrs. Edwards.

Eleanor sent Ethan to fetch some fresh water from the spring behind the house and offer seats to Cassidy and his companion.

"This is Carl House, my foreman," Thomas said. "He's from Texas and knows cattle ranching."

Dillon saw a tall lean man of about 40. His face and hands showed the effects of working out in the weather. When House removed his Stetson, there was a tan line across his forehead and his hands were calloused and rough looking. House had a competent air about him, secure of his place in the world. This man knows his business, Dillon thought.

"Where bouts in Texas Mr. House?" If you don't mind my asking," Dillon questioned.

"Down San Antonio way," House replied. "Been working cattle since I was a youngin'."

Dillon nodded and looking down, he got a grim smile on his face. Got some history there, don't I, he said to himself. While in San Antonio Dillon had to kill two men that attacked him and tried to steal his horse. That was about eight years ago he thought.

After a few more minutes of polite conversation, Thomas came to the point. "Mrs. Edwards, have you made a decision on my offer?"

Before she could answer Dillon spoke up. "There's a point that I'd like to bring up." Eleanor nodded her permission and he continued, "We'd planned on takin about a hundred head of cattle to the rail head this fall. At the current price that's close to $1500 dollars. Figuring it that way, Eleanor is selling the ranch for about $4500. That's not enough for the Triple E."

Eleanor looked at Dillon, turning her head so that Cassidy couldn't see the small smile on her face. Maybe Dillon had warned Cassidy against horse trading but that didn't stop Dillon from doing it. She turned to face Cassidy and said, "That's a fact Mr. Cassidy. We've been working all year to get those cattle ready for market. It'd be hard just to let them go."

Thomas looked at Eleanor and then Dillon with a smile. "The offer I made was for the ranch and its stock. Besides, you'd have to wait until fall to ship them; the price may go down by then." Cassidy realized that in spite of Dillon's warning the horse trading had begun.

"That's a chance we're willing to take," Dillon said. "We're not in any hurry to move, we can wait for three or four months."

Thomas looked down at the floor but smiled and Dillon saw it. This young man knows exactly what's going on he thought. He's not as much of a dude as people would think. Waiting for Thomas to respond, Dillon saw Carl trying to hide a smile. He knows what's going on too.

Cassidy raised his head, "I don't want to wait until fall to take possession of the Triple E. How about this? The present price for cattle is $14. I'll give you $12 a head for the cattle you were going to take to market. That way you reap the reward for your hard work and I get the ranch right away. That makes the price $7200 dollars to be paid in one installment." Turning to Eleanor he added, "That's more than fair Mrs. Edwards."

Eleanor looked at Dillon and when he nodded she said, "You just bought yourself a ranch Mr. Cassidy."

"Can we get a round up later in the week to count the stock? I'd like to finalize our transaction as quickly as possible," Cassidy asked.

Eleanor looked at Dillon for the answer. "Yeah, we can do a round up and hold the counting on Friday if you like Thomas," Dillon replied. "Bring your own crew to help if you like."

"Thank you. I'll send Mr. House and a couple of hands early Friday morning." Cassidy stood, shook hands with Eleanor and Dillon. As he got to the door he turned and said, "I'd like to take possession of the ranch no more than two weeks after I pay you Mrs. Edwards. Will that give you enough time to get your family and possessions moved?"

Eleanor nodded and watched Cassidy and House ride away. "I guess we better figure out where we're going," she said smiling.

For the next three days, the whole family pitched in and brought all the cattle to a large meadow near the ranch house. Dillon and Oso built a counting pen at one end of the meadow. The pen was basically two lines of fencing that the cattle would be driven through. One or two men would sit at one end and count the herd as it passed them.

Just after first light on Friday, Carl House and two other riders pulled up in front of the ranch house. Dillon was leaning against the hitching rail in front waiting for them.

"Good morning Mr. Gallagher. Looks like a good day for working the stock," Carl said in greeting. "This is Jason Wright and his brother Gary. They'll be helping us today."

"Howdy boys. Like a cup of coffee before we head out?" Dillon offered.

Carl smiled and replied, "No thank you, maybe later. I don't think Mr. Cassidy is too interested in us being social Mr. Gallagher."

"Okay let's head out," Dillon said. He smiled and added, "Carl, my name is Dillon if you've a mind to use it. Anyway Eleanor will have lunch ready for us when we're done."

Dillon poked his head into the kitchen and said good bye to Eleanor. Carl and his two men followed Dillon to the meadow. Carl sent Jason with Dillon to the end of the run to verify the counting. Each man would sit on the fence or horse back and tie a knot in a tie rope for every ten cattle than passed by.

Oso sat on one side of the run to keep the cattle headed between the two fences; Ethan sat on the other side. Carl, Gary, and the Triple E rider drove the cattle from the rear. After two groups of steers had been driven past there was a short break before the next group could start through.

"Been working for Cassidy very long Jason?"

"Not long, bout two months now," he answered. "Work up in Colorado until this spring."

"Why'd you leave? I hear its real pretty country up there," Dillon responded.

"Oh it's pretty enough but sometimes it really gets cold. Ifin you get one of those blizzard blowin out of the north, you begin to think about movin to Hell to get warm," Jason said laughing. "We'd still be there if Gary hadn't takin a fall and broke his leg."

"He seems to be alright now," Dillon said looking at Gary helping drive the cattle.

"Oh he can work stock just fine," he said pointing at Gary. "Look at him and your man catch and force those strays back in line."

Dillon laughed, "My man is actually my wife Elizabeth. She refused to be left in the kitchen with her mother."

"Well I'll be. She sure do ride like a man now don't she?" Jason had a smile of admiration on his face. "Anyway Gary can handle stock but the cold weather up there pains his leg somethin fierce. It'd drop down below freezing and he'd almost be a cripple. So we decided to move south to warmer weather."

He watched his brother for a minute and added, "Damn shame really. There's some good land for stock up around Colorado Springs. Lots of work for a good hand."

"Here comes another group, guess we better get back to counting," Dillon suggested.

It was midday before the count was finished. Jason and Dillon's tally agreed at 310 head, including calves and yearlings. Cassidy's men joined Dillon and the crew for lunch and then headed back to town.

"I'll give Mr. Cassidy the count as soon as we get back to town," Carl said as he mounted his horse. "He said he'd arrange for payment within the next couple of days."

After Cassidy's men left Eleanor said, "Guess we'd better start thinking about what we're going to do.

"Jason talked about the area south of Colorado Springs as being a good place to ranch," Dillon said. "He and his brother just come from there." Dillon paused and added, "Still, it's a long way to go on a couple of cowhand's word."

"Wouldn't be just on their word," Eleanor remarked. "My sister and her husband, Ted Clark, moved to Colorado City back in '58, when it was still a rough and tumble mining town." She chuckled, "Now she says it's all grown up. Some mining and railroad big wig named General Parker has made the town into a sort of fancy resort. He renamed it Colorado Springs."

"That's right, you've been writing to Aunt Tillie for a quite a while now," Elizabeth said. "I'd forgotten that she lived there." Turning to Dillon she added, "Uncle Ted and Aunt Tillie went there and opened a mining supply company when the Pike's Peak Gold Rush started."

Eleanor continued, "When the mines started to peter out in '71, Ted became a cattle buyer for a meat company back east; he'd certainly know about the ranching opportunities in the area. Tillie said in her last letter that a lot of families are moving into the area and she started teaching school. I should send her a telegram and ask Ted's opinion about ranching up there; maybe ask about me teaching too."

"Why not just write her Momma?"

"It'd take too long to get an answer; remember we've got to be out of here in two weeks or so," Eleanor replied. "What do you think Dillon?"

"Sounds like a fine idea to me." He looked thoughtful and continued, "But it's a long way to Colorado Springs; close to 800 miles. We need to talk about what we're taking with us when we leave; no matter where we decide to go."

The rest of the afternoon and most of the evening was spent discussing, debating, and arguing about what possessions and items should be taken with them and what should be sold or given away. Dillon pretty much sat back and listened, not saying anything. Finally Eleanor turned to him.

"You're very quiet Dillon. What do you think we should take?"

"Take what you feel you need to but I think we should limit our load to what we can carry in two wagons," he replied.

"Why just two wagons? We've got four drivers. Five counting Ethan; he can handle a team pretty well," Eleanor asked.

"I take it you've pretty well made up your mind that we're going to Colorado," Dillon said.

"Unless Tillie tells us different, I thought that would be a fine place to make a new start," Eleanor responded.

"Like I said before it's almost 800 miles to Colorado Springs, at least according to Jason and Gary. We'll be going thru mountain passes, some desert like areas, and all on average trails at best. It's gonna be hard on the animals and on the drivers," he said.

Dillon paused. "I don't think y'all have thought about getting to Colorado; just what we're gonna do when we get there." Eleanor and Elizabeth got a funny look on their faces; realizing that Dillon was right.

"No disrespect ladies but handling a team and wagon through that country is a lot more difficult than driving a wagon on the nice trails and roads we have around here."

Eleanor and Elizabeth both started to object but Dillon kept talking. "I know you both can drive but I don't think you can do for ten or twelve hours a day, every day, for 2 months. You two are going to have to spell each other during the day."

"TWO MONTHS," Elizabeth exclaimed. "It's going to take us two months to get there?"

Dillon almost laughed at his wife. "Maybe more. We can make the trip in two months if the wagons don't break down, if the weather doesn't work against us, and if can put in 15 miles a day. But if we're going to Colorado we should start soon."

At Eleanor's questioning look Dillon continued, "According to Jason the winter sets in about the middle of October. We want to be there and have some idea what we're going to do before that happens."

Looking at the ladies as they thought about what he'd said Dillon asked, "Are we sure we want to go to Colorado? You know we could look for a place around here or even head to California."

Eleanor looked thoughtful for a minute. "I think we'd better hear from Tillie before we make a final decision." Addressing Dillon she added, "But I think you're right about how many wagons we should take; no matter where we head to. Let's sleep on it tonight and go into town tomorrow to send Tillie a telegram."