The Grid Girl

Story Info
A chance meeting at a classic car show leads to romance.
3.1k words
4.51
19.3k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Up to a point some of this is true. The setting and the girl were real, everything after the concert is fantasy (unfortunately). An older story.

****

I can't say that I noticed her particularly to start with; she was just one of the girls who came out to mark the grid positions. After three or four races I realised that each girl always marked the same grid row, and as I was generally on the corner looking up the paddock (the cars were lining up in the paddock before exiting out into the pit lane) she was often in the viewfinder of my camera. And she was always smiling and turning towards any camera pointed in her direction. I smiled back, but if she saw me she didn't let on.

I spent most of the first day dodging between the grid line-up and one or two of my favourite spots to take photos from. (There aren't that many at the circuit, the catch fencing gets in the way a lot.) She always seemed interested in what was going on around her, and, like I said, she always had a smile on her face. Row 4 was her station, a big pole with the number on so that the drivers could see where they were to pull up. A pretty blue-eyed blonde. She wore what all the girls wore; a white sponsors t-shirt, shortish black skirt and flat shoes. When the girls had first appeared, walking down the pit lane, they mostly had been carrying heeled shoes, but they were obviously unsuitable for standing around all day.

---

After the last race had started I wandered off to take a few pictures of the race, and then made my way to where the concert, the Santana concert at that, would be taking place. I found a spot not far from the front and sat down on the ground to wait. I went through the day's pictures and started to weed out some of the ones I wasn't going to use. In the background I could hear the last race winding its way to its finish, and then that too went quiet. On the stage the roadies checked the instruments, and the lighting guys tested the spots and the stage lights. The sun had left the sky, daylight bleeding gently away. As it got darker, the concert started, Carlos Santana playing like the rock god he is. I raised my camera. After a couple of songs there was movement beside me. I glanced around and saw that about half of the grid girls had just arrived. They were milling around each other laughing and chatting. I looked back to the stage and took a few more shots. The crowd was swaying, singing along, playing air guitar, most of the usual concert activities. I switched my weight to try and relieve some of the ache in my legs (it had been a long day). As I did so, the person next to me moved as well. We bumped each other. "Sorry." We both said looking at each other. She smiled. It was number 4. She looked a bit different in her civvies.

"You're one of the girls from the grid aren't you? Number 4?" I said.

"I am indeed." She said, still smiling. "You've been photographing me all day haven't you?"

"Not exactly." I said a little shamefaced. "To start with I was trying to shoot round you, then I thought 'what the hell' and started shooting you and the others as well."

"Get some good pictures?"

"Of you? Yes actually."

"Good." She grinned and held out her hand. "I'm Gemma, my friends call me Gem." I shook her hand.

"Pleased to meet you Gemma. I'm Dave." I was about to say something else but stopped.

"What were you going to say?"

"I was going to say something like Gem was a perfect name for such a beautiful jewel, but thought you'd probably heard it all before."

"That's sweet of you." She smiled again. "He's not bad for an old guy is he?" She said indicating the guitarist on stage.

"He is one of the great guitarists, maybe not as good as Jimi or Gilmour, but he has his own style."

"Jimi?"

"Hendrix, and Dave Gilmour."

"Oh, I have heard them play."

"I thought no-one under thirty would have heard of them."

"My parents, I hear a lot of older music."

---

We stood next to each other for the rest of the gig, swaying to the music, singing, playing air guitar. The music ended and Carlos Santana left the stage. The crowd began to make its way out. Gemma stayed by my side as we walked amongst the many that had stayed for the concert. I asked her where she was from, and then laughed when she told me; only twenty miles from me, I had passed it on the way here. Gem looked at me so oddly I had to tell her why. She smiled too.

"Where are you staying?" Gemma suddenly asked me.

"I'm camping in the field beyond the grandstand, near the hotel." I replied, wondering where she was going with this line of questioning.

"We're all at the Hotel." She said, indicating some of the other grid girls around us. "It's a bit cramped though, three to a room." A smirk crossed my face. "What are you thinking about?" Gem prodded me.

"Sorry." I said, reddening. "It's a bloke thing, three pretty girls in one room, I was getting visions."

She giggled.

"You didn't need to tell me that, you know."

"I have a problem with not telling the truth. I can never remember who I told what, so I always tell it like it is."

"Can't make you popular?"

"Nope! But it does save time, and little white lies are easier. If you always tell the truth, little fibs slip through unnoticed."

"I think I like that."

By now we had crossed the infield of the circuit and were heading towards the exit. The crowd had thinned out as people went different ways. The other grid girls were ahead of us. Gemma stopped me.

"Can we meet in the morning? We've got an early meeting, but then a gap until the first race, about eight?"

I looked into her eyes for the first time and saw she was serious.

"All right. How about that coffee stand there?" I pointed. "But maybe you shouldn't come alone. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was up to no good."

She giggled again.

"I suppose I could ask Adele to come with me, if it worries you."

"Thanks. I'll see you in the morning then?"

She nodded, and then scampered off to catch up with her friends.

---

It was about ten to eight when Gemma and her friend Adele appeared. They were wearing similar clothing to the day before. I was waiting near the coffee stand which was just opening.

"Good morning ladies. How would you like your coffee?"

"White, no sugar please." Gemma answered. Adele just nodded, looking at me suspiciously. As I waited for the drinks I could hear them talking.

"Are you sure, Gem? He looks a bit old?" Adele was asking.

"Oh Ad! Don't be so judgemental. He's a sweetie. And he asked me to bring a chaperone." Gemma admonished her friend.

I collected the drinks and carried them over.

"And how are you two lovely ladies this fine if chilly morning?"

Gemma giggled while Adele rolled her eyes.

"Well I'm fine, but I think Ad has a hangover!"

Adele grunted.

"How can you both be so chirpy at this time of day?" She moaned.

"Well, I'm meeting two pretty girls, why should I be sad?" I asked.

Gem giggled again, and Adele even smirked.

"Personally, I think Gem is off her head, and you're no better." Gemma and I both burst out laughing. Adele gave in and laughed too. "So, Mr Photographer, you going to be taking our pictures again today?"

"I may snap you a few times, but I thought I might get some car shots. It is why I came."

"All right Gem. You win. He's for real." Adele gave me a genuine smile and held out her hand. "I'm Ad, and it was me that got Gem here into this."

"Pleased to meet you Ad." I shook her hand. "Going to be a busy day?"

"Maybe not so much for me. I'm marking row 10. Only about half the races have twenty or more cars. Gem will be busy though."

"I did offer to swap Ad." Gemma said quietly.

"Oh don't worry babe, the pay is the same whether I have to walk all that way or not." She looked over at the burger bar that was just opening. "I could do with a bite to eat, anyone hungry?" Gemma and I both shook our heads. Adele went to get herself something to eat.

"Will we be able to meet during the day?" I asked.

"Not sure. The races today are close together." Gemma looked thoughtful. "The last race is a two hour one. Once it starts I'll be free."

"Can we meet for a while then?" I asked a little tentatively.

"Oh, yes please!" She said.

"Gem! We need to be going." Adele called over from the burger bar. Reluctantly Gemma stood and followed her friend. Again I could hear them talking.

"What do you think Ad?"

"Weeelllll, he seems genuine, but are you sure Gem?" Their voices faded as they walked off.

---

I managed to speak to her two or three times during the day. She was right about the races; most of them were shorter ones. This meant almost as soon as one started, the next one was forming up in the paddock. The girls were kept busy. During our brief discussions Gemma and I agreed where I would meet her after the start of the last race and an approximate time. The rest of the day I spent doing what I had originally planned to do, taking pictures of cars.

---

I took a few pictures of the final race and then headed for our rendezvous. We had agreed to meet where we had split up the previous evening, about halfway between the hotel and the campsite entrance. Although I was actually a little early, I was still a bit disappointed that Gem wasn't already there. I stood around waiting, looking at my watch and trying not to worry that she'd stood me up. Suddenly a breathless Gemma was stood beside me. I had been expecting her to come from the racetrack. Instead she had come from the hotel.

"I was starting to worry." I said, a shade reproachfully. Then I noticed she had a case with her and had already changed into her jeans. "Rushing off already?" I asked.

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Well, the other girls are having a party tonight at the hotel, but I don't really want to go. Ad does though, and I thought perhaps you could drop me off on your way home? You did say you pass through on your way here."

I didn't know what to say. I was more than happy to give her the lift, but did wonder if I should be driving off with a girl who hardly knew me.

"Are you sure Gem? I mean, we only just met. I could be an axe murderer or something." I said dubiously.

"I doubt it somehow," she laughed, "And Adele says you're honest, and she's never been wrong before."

I shrugged.

"On your head be it. Don't say I didn't warn you when you wake up tomorrow on a chain gang!" I joked. "Come on then. I've still got to take down the tent and pack everything away."

"I'll help."

I handed her my camera bag and picked up her case.

"This way then."

---

The journey took about an hour, less time than it took to pack up all my gear. We chatted the whole time. Gem telling me about her promo work, her other jobs, things like that. I talked about my work a little, but more about my love of photography, especially those I took of aeroplanes. The time flew by, and now we were entering the village where she lived. I pulled up where she asked me. She leant across and kissed me.

"That was for the lift."

"Want to drive around some more?" I joked.

She held my head still and kissed me again.

"And that was because I think I'm in love."

I was about to ask jokingly who with, until I saw the look in her eyes. We stared at each other for a while, and then I kissed her back.

"Gemma, before we get in too deep. You need to know what you might be getting into."

She shrugged.

"Tell me."

"I get jealous easily. I don't know if I can watch others ogling my girl. So before we make any plans, please think about what could happen. I tell you this now, because I don't want to hurt you later on. It will be easier to split now than later. Not that I want to split, but ..." I ran out of words.

Gemma's lip trembled a little, and her eyes began to tear up.

"I'll get out now." She slipped out of the car.

I scrambled around after her, horrified by her reaction.

"Gem, I'm just being honest, remember? Just take some time to think things through, ask for advice. Then call me tomorrow or later if you like. Take whatever time you need, but call me when you decide. I'll be waiting." I handed her my mobile number on a scrap of paper. She took it carefully. I held her hand. "Please?"

She smiled suddenly, her face clearing like sunrise.

"All right. I'll have a think. And call you soon." She scrabbled in her purse. "Here's my number, so you'll know its me."

---

I answered my ringing mobile. It wasn't a number I knew, not even Gemma's recently added one.

"Hello."

"Is that Mr Photographer?" It was the voice of Gem's friend.

"Is that you Adele? I was hoping it was Gemma."

"She'll be calling later. I just need to ask you a couple of things."

"Ask away." I said, wondering what this was about.

"Are you in love with Gem?" Adele asked point-blank.

"Yes, I suppose I am." I didn't even have to think, which surprised me a bit.

"Then why are you talking to me and not her? Why is she calling me with some strange tale about you and asking for advice."

A light dawned. I sighed into the phone.

"I just thought she'd better know what she's letting herself in for. I honestly don't know if I'm going to get jealous, and I do know how hypocritical that sounds after all the photos I took of all of you girls." I heard Adele humming. "Ad, I have what you could call a short but damp fuse. It does take a lot to rile me, but when something gets to me, I explode quickly."

"So?"

"So I wouldn't want Gemma to be on the receiving end of it if I get jealous, and I won't ask her to give up a job she obviously likes."

"Don't you trust her?"

"Yes." I hesitated. "Yes, I trust her. It's me I don't trust."

"You love her enough to lose her."

"I do. I want her to be happy."

"You, Mr Photographer, are too honest for your own good." She paused for a moment. "I think you need to take a chance this once. If she wants to give up the promo work, let her. If she wants to carry on, trust yourself. I'm going to tell her the same thing."

"Adele, I know you less than Gem, but you are a good friend to both of us. Thanks."

"Just don't name your daughter after me." She laughed and rang off.

Ten minutes later, the phone rang again. Gem's number this time.

"Hello Gemma."

"Hello Dave. What are you doing next weekend?"

---

"How long is your mother going to be?" I sighed.

"I don't know daddy."

I smiled down at our daughter.

"Sorry Emerald, I wasn't really asking you. Are you enjoying today?"

"Really a lot." She nodded enthusiastically.

"As much as last week at the airshow?"

"Nearly. I think I like the old aeroplanes better though."

I smiled.

"That's my girl." I patted her curly hair.

"Is this where you met mom?" She looked up at me, her green eyes shining.

"Yes it is. Six years ago now."

She squirmed in her seat, obviously unsure whether to ask her next question.

"Can I use your little camera again Daddy?" Emerald asked eventually.

"Sure. But you won't get very good pictures of the cars from here in the grandstand."

"S'alright. I like to take pictures of people anyway."

"Okay, here you are." I said, handing her my old Fuji. She accepted it gleefully. Gemma appeared down below us and walked up the steps carrying three '99's'. I heard Emmie clicking away with the camera.

"You little devil, you'll be telling everyone these are all for me." Gemma smiled at Emerald, handing us both one of the ices.

"I won't mommy, honest." Our little girl said.

"Meet anyone you know?" I asked Gemma.

"One or two people. They're all so young now." She sighed.

"You're not exactly ancient love." I said with a smile.

"It's just so... Strange I suppose, seeing it from the other side."

"Miss it?"

"A little, but I know I made the right choice, if only for Emmie."

"I'm glad you talked to Adele that day. You know she phoned me?" I put my arm around her and licked at my ice cream.

"She asked for your number. Said she needed to talk to you before she gave me advice."

"I never asked. What did she say?"

"Told me not to let you slip away." She laughed. "In fact she said we should have flipped a coin to see who got that number 4 station."

"Unfortunately for her, I don't think it was where you were stood love." I laughed. She looked over to where Emmie was licking at her ice.

"Emerald, don't get that on your dad's camera."

"I won't mommy. He said if I'm good I can have it."

Gemma looked at me.

"Last week." I shrugged. "She has a good eye for a picture, especially for a 4 year old. I thought she should have some encouragement."

"All right I suppose, it's your camera." Gemma said, snuggling up to me.

"Can I go down to the front to take some pictures?" Emmie asked.

"Just stay where we can see you poppet." I said.

"She does take after you." Gem said as the little girl toddled off down the steps.

"Oh I don't know about that." I laughed. "She's as pretty as you. Good thing too."

"Sweet talker." Gemma, former grid girl, grinned as she kissed me.

"SMILE!" Emmie called out as she pressed the shutter.