The Home & Family Pt. 01

Story Info
Dakota buys Luke at a bachelor auction.
5.5k words
4.69
60.7k
35

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/06/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

Chapter One

The sun beat down upon the heads of the large crowd gathered out by the stables for the afternoon auction. Although many of the people hanging around were wearing typical comfortable, auction clothing, this wasn't going to be a typical comfortable auction. No, instead of the normal cattle and horses being auctioned off, this time it was men themselves who were going up for bids.

This auction, called a bachelor auction, had been the brainchild of Eleanor Weatherspoon, one of the prominent ladies in the town of Sterling, North Carolina. Eleanor, a wealthy, elderly lady, was an avid reader of romance books. She had stumbled across the idea, in one of her multitude of beloved books, of having an auction where bachelors were "sold" to the highest bidder. The women got to choose their week-end "date" and the money that was raised could benefit a local charity.

And there was one local charity that certainly needed the help - the Smokey Mountain Home for Children. Threatened with the possibility of having to close the Home, due to dwindling federal funds, the Ms. Lily Covington, who ran the Home, had asked the town for ideas to raise funds. The well read Eleanor had come forward, offered to coordinate the auction and the race was on!

The word had gotten out in the nearby towns and cities and the bachelors had responded in abundance. Not only were there prominent business owners and leaders among the bachelors, but, as an added bonus, a few of the men had even grown up in the Home. In all, there were twenty five men wandering around in the crowd who were signed up to be placed on the auction block in less than an hour.

Luke Rydell was one of the marked men. He was also one of the original "Home" boys. Luke looked around the group and noticed a few familiar faces scattered through the group. Some were from his years growing up at the Home, and some he knew from his years as a social worker in the area. Finally, Luke saw his best friend, James Hytree, talking to a group of the men nearby.

James Hytree had been one of the few constants in Luke's life. Luke had lived at the Children's Home for 14 years and James had been the first boy he had met there. James had been eight when Luke was left at the Home. Luke, only four years old, was the littlest boy James had ever seen and James had immediately taken it upon himself to watch out for the little guy. And it seemed like that aspect of the relationship had never ended. Now, 34 years later, James was still looking out for Luke.

And today, looking out for Luke meant being at this bachelor auction. James was happily married with three little ones of his own - Nikki, little Luke, and Rainy, so he was out of the running to be asked to be one of the bachelors. However, he did understand the dangers and fears of being asked - James had come with Luke today to make sure that Luke didn't back out of the auction at the last minute. Luke knew that he would never do that, but he was glad James had come with him anyway. It was tough enough to know that he was about to be auctioned off like a side of beef, but to do so at a place that held so many memories was almost more than Luke could stomach.

Luke made his way over to the group of men that James was talking to and immediately recognized Wiley Stone standing amongst the men, talking louder than any of them. Wiley had been a thorn in Luke's side for longer than Luke liked to think about. Wiley had always felt like he was better than the "Home boys" and had taken every opportunity to throw his own pedigree around. Wiley's family was old money and he thought that entitled him to being treated as local royalty. Luke had never taken well to that assumption and had spent a fair amount of time literally putting Wiley's face in the dirt to remind him what it felt like to have something rubbed in your face.

Luke wasn't sure he wanted to see Wiley right now and from the strained expressions of pleasantry on the faces of the men gathered around Wiley, he figured he wasn't alone in that feeling. So, instead of joining the group, Luke tapped James on the shoulder and loudly announced that the fried chicken was ready and if the bachelors wanted to get a plate before the auction, they were going to have to hustle. The entire group dispersed so rapidly that Wiley was left standing alone with his mouth open in mid-sentence.

As Luke and James made a bee-line across the field toward the line of hungry participants, at least two of the men from the group clapped Luke on the shoulder and thanked him for giving them an excuse to get away from Wiley. Luke and James just traded knowing looks and kept walking.

Breaking into their comfortable silence, a loud, booming voice from behind them said, "Some people ain't changed one bit." Luke turned his head to see Saul O'Connor smiling at him with one eyebrow raised, "You still can get the better of that old pain without even breaking a sweat!"

Saul had been the principal at the combined middle/high school in town. Saul had dated Ms. Lily, the owner and founder of the Children's Home, since before anyone in town could remember. Although theirs was always a proper courtship, Saul was at the Home as often as he wasn't. Because of that, he was as much a part of the Home family as the boys themselves.

Luke and James both turned and grabbed Saul at the same time, ending up in a group bear hug. "Saul! It's good to see you!" they both exclaimed.

"Well, I reckon one of you two is here to be put up for auction. I can see from your waistline James, that you ain't a single man no more! So, Luke, that leaves you!" Sam's voice dropped a notch, "And I sure do appreciate what you are doin'. I don't know what Ms. Lily will do if we don't get enough money to get the Home back on it's feet."

Luke and James looked at each other, each knowing what the other was thinking. They hadn't realized the Home was in such danger financially. They both had sent back money every year and had come every Easter to the "family" reunion. They had talked about trying to do more, but they just hadn't gotten around to it. If they hadn't heard about the auction, they still wouldn't have had any idea. They both slowly shook their heads. "Saul, don't you worry none," James said. "Luke here will single handedly get the Home back on track with what he brings in up there on the auction block!"

Saul laughed out loud as Luke good naturedly punched James in the arm. "Thanks a lot - no pressure there!" Luke huffed, in mock exasperation.

Just then the auctioneer announced the need for the bachelors to assemble inside the barn to let the auction begin. James gave Luke the thumbs up and then went to find a spot in the bleachers in order to watch his friend sweat this one out!

Luke was the fourteenth bachelor auctioned off. After having watched his companions endure the torture of being sold to the highest bidder, Luke was questioning his sanity. Just as he was considering making a break for it, the auctioneer called his name. Cursing under his breath, he walked to the foreground.

As the auctioneer read off his name and vital stats, Luke scanned the crowd. In addition to hearing what the auctioneer was saying about him, Luke could see the women straining to see what he had to offer them visually. He wasn't too worried in that department. He wasn't too tall, just under 6 foot and a bit over 230 pounds. Luke might spend his days behind a desk, but he often volunteered his week-ends on the various family farms around the area. It kept him from being lonely and he usually got a good home cooked meal out of the deal. It also kept his body looking like he spent hours at the gym. Any woman who liked a solid, handsome man would find Luke appealing.

Broad shoulders and biceps that could definitely turn heads might be the first thing that a woman would notice, but Luke's ice blue eyes and soft brown curls were the very next thing. Yeah, Luke wasn't too worried about some woman finding his packaging easy on the eyes. But was that all the women were looking for?

As he stood on the stage, Luke wondered just what a woman would want with a man she bought at an auction. He had heard a few comments out in the field before the auction and realized that it wasn't necessarily the obvious. One woman was telling a friend that she hoped to get a man to do all the fix-up chores around her house. Another woman explained that she wanted a bachelor to spend the week-end helping her two teen-aged sons unload the inventory for her new store. And Luke had just thought all these women would want a week-end of wild, passionate sex with no strings attached. At least he hoped he would be able to do whatever his purchaser had in mind - he wasn't all that creative with home improvement projects!

The auctioneer had just announced that Luke worked as a social worker. Luke frowned to himself - that description opened him up for anything or anybody! Oh, well, it was all for a good cause.

The bids started at $500 and quickly rose to $5000. Luke watched with amusement as the bidders dwindled down to a bleached blond woman with mile long legs and a skirt that hid none of her assets and a faceless bidder, hidden behind a group of taller spectators. Finally, after competing with one another up to $7000, the faceless bidder threw her arms up and said, "$25,000 and that is my final bid!"

The blond's mouth fell open as she slumped back down onto the seat beneath her. But she was certainly no more stunned than Luke, who stood speechless on the impromptu stage. Even the auctioneer failed to immediately follow up. Finally with a rapid shake of his head, the auctioneer yelled, "Sold!" without even asking for any higher bids. The man turned to shake Luke's hand and said, "Way to go stud! Hope YOUR week-end is good!"

Still bewildered, Luke made his way off the stage and over to the "clearing house" register. The volunteer manning the table beamed up at him as she handed him the paperwork, "Sit down and fill these out. Then you can get started on that $25,000 week-end!"

Luke signed off on the form and stood up, looking around over the people standing nearby. He looked back at the lady sitting at the table, "Any idea who I'm spending the week-end with?"

She uttered a short, knowing laugh, "Oh, sure. You were sold to Dakota Matthews. I'm sure she's found someone in need on the way over here. The girl spends her life trying to help others. She'll be here shortly. And then she'll take you off to help others!" With that, the woman turned away, as though worried Luke might ask her another question and distract her from all her necessary work.

Luke shook his head and looked back over the crowd, wondering what his little do-gooder would be having him do over his week-end. Although most everybody was still focused on the auction, a few people mingled around. Luke saw James headed his way and waved to his buddy. James broke into a run and barreled into him, hugging him to him, "Damn, boy. I know I kidded you about it, but I didn't really expect you to single handedly save the Home! You made the other boys look downright worthless!" James and Luke laughed as Luke shook his head.

"I didn't see who won the bid and she hasn't come over yet."

"Well, she'll be here soon. You don't pay that much for a man and then let him go!"

"Well, she hasn't paid for me yet - maybe she's come to her senses and hightailed it out of here!"

"I haven't taken leave of my senses, and I have no intention of leaving here without my bachelor," a silky voice said from behind the two men.

Chapter Two

Luke pasted on his best smile and spun on his heel. The first thing he noticed about his date was that she was short. He had to bend his head down to look her in the eye. He guessed that she didn't stand more than 5 foot tall. She was about his age and dressed in a big, comfortable shirt that looked like a man's. Her short legs were covered in some sort of leggings. For some reason, she reminded Luke of a doll - not a Barbie doll, but some soft kind of doll that you could hug and hold onto. One you wanted to sleep with at night - not for sex, but to cuddle up with under the covers. Great - he had been purchased by a cuddly doll with a sexy voice and a do-gooder reputation!

His cuddly doll smiled up at him and stuck out her hand, "I'm Dakota Matthews and I believe you are mine!"

James stifled a laugh and Luke sent him a murderous glare. "I guess I am. I'm Luke Rydell and this here is my friend, James Hytree."

Dakota nodded at James and said, "Hytree? Are you any kin to Sarah Hytree from the reservation?"

James' smile faded and his eyes narrowed. He answered slowly, "You know a 'Hytree'?"

"I sure do! In fact, Sarah is one of my connections to the reservation. She is actually Cherokee from the West, but has been living here for the last few years. Are you Cherokee or Navaho?" Dakota asked. James' face was frozen. He hadn't moved a muscle as Dakota spoke. She waited for him to answer. As the silence lengthened, she looked at him questioningly. Finally she said, "Do you know which tribe you belong to?"

Luke watched his friend. He knew James' history as well as he knew his own. James had survived a car crash that had killed his parents. James had been thrown clear of the car, but his parents had been pinned in the car. The car had exploded and all evidence of James' life prior to that moment had gone up in flames. James had been four years old and was able to tell the authorities his name, but nothing else. After three years in the foster system, a judge had declared James a destitute orphan and he had come to live at the Home. For as long as Luke could remember, James had searched for his relatives. As far as Luke knew, James had never even come across another 'Hytree'. And yet, here was a woman, who had just waltzed into their lives, plopped down $25,000 for a week-end with Luke and offered James the gift of a lifetime.

Luke cleared his throat, "Um, James doesn't know his family. He was raised here at the Home."

Dakota's eyes widened, "You don't know your family? Oh, my God! You have to meet Sarah - you look so much like her! She's about your age - How old are you?"

James opened his mouth to answer Dakota, but no sound came out. He shut his eyes and tried again. Finally, he managed to get out, "I'm 41."

Dakota's excitement was evident, "You're kidding! Sarah is 41! She might know your family! This is so cool! Let me give you her number - she grew up with an aunt and uncle on the Western reservation after her parents abandoned her when she was four."

Dakota was bent over writing Sarah's phone number on a piece of paper, so she didn't see the look of shock that crossed James' face. Luke reached out and grabbed his friend's arm to support him as James' legs threatened to give way beneath him. Dakota continued her story, without seeming to notice the effect her words were having on James.

"She said her parents went East and never returned. No one ever knew what happened to them. The family tried to follow their trail, but they never were able to find a lead after they reached the reservation here. They just seemed to evaporate into thin - " Dakota stopped abruptly as she finally looked up and noticed the pallor of James' face. "Are you OK?" she asked, concern showing in her voice.

James finally gave up trying to stand and sank down to sit on the ground. Dakota's gaze flew between James and Luke. "You don't think that maybe . . . " Dakota trailed off. The silence grew between the three of them. In the background, the auction continued, but for the three of them, time seemed to stand still.

Finally, James shook his head, as if to clear it of cobwebs. "I don't know what to think. But I know that I've never even been able to find a trace of my family. And if this woman might know anything about them, I would give my eye teeth to know what it is. But other than that, I really don't know what to think right now."

Dakota smiled warmly at James, "Here, take her number. Call her. She's a wonderful woman who will do all she can to help you."

James stared at the paper for several minutes as if trying to gain the courage to accept what it offered him. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and his breath quickened in excitement. "I'll do it! I don't know how to thank you, but I sure hope my buddy gives you all you want out of this week-end. And I'll personally take it out of his hide if I find out that he doesn't live up to your expectations! Now, Luke, if you will excuse me, I want to get home to share this with Joy. I'm going to go ask River Johnson to take me home right now. I can't believe this - what if she really is a part of my family?" James wondered aloud.

Luke offered his friend his hand and helped him stand up. He and Dakota watched as James made his way across the field toward River's truck. River had been a friend when the boys were growing up and now he was just the ticket that James needed to get home. Luke watched as River and James spoke to one another and then jumped into River's truck and headed down toward the main road.

Luke turned to look at the woman who had only entered his life a few minutes before, but who had already left her mark on his world. "Well, you certainly have done some good deeds today! First, you helped save the Home and now you have given my friend the first hope he has ever found for finding his family. You must be a guardian angel who spends her life making other people's lives better. So why did you buy me? What is it I'll be helping you with? Will we be saving someone in need? Building homes for the homeless? Feeding the hungry? Huh? Huh?" Luke did his best impersonation of an impatient kid, trying to lighten the mood.

When Dakota turned to face him, he realized that he needn't have bothered. Dakota's eyes were sparkling. She smiled a rather sultry smile and said, "All I want from you is a week-end of wild, passionate sex!"

Chapter Three

Certain that he had heard wrong, Luke stared at Dakota in wide eyed confusion, "What?!?"

"Sex. You do know what it is, don't you? If not, perhaps I need to consider asking for a refund," Dakota teased.

Luke simply stood there looking at her with a totally bewildered look on his face, "Yeah, I know what it is. That's what you want me for?"

It was obvious that Luke hadn't expected that one. The lady at the clearing table had said that everyone around town expected Dakota to use her bachelor for purely altruistic reasons. But here she was asking for Luke to do something more personal for her - far more personal!

Luke furrowed his brow as he looked at Dakota. She was short and plus sized with a fair sprinkling of gray hair at the front of her curls. She wasn't the type that Luke usually chose to date, but she was cute. The thought of her blatantly wanting him to spend the week-end in bed with her piqued his interest. He had never been in this situation before. Sure he had had women pursue him with sex in mind, but never had he been bought and paid for with the expectation being sex.

Luke realized that he hadn't said anything to Dakota in the last several minutes and that she was beginning to look at him with the "deer in the headlights" look. Finally he found his voice and asked incredulously, "You want to have sex with me? You bought me for sex?" Dakota nodded her head, her red checks suggesting that she was too embarrassed to answer him verbally.

Luke took a deep breathe and realized that he had wished that he would get a woman who just wanted him for sex. Now that he had one, he wasn't sure what to do.

While he pondered the situation, Luke decided to at least have Dakota explain her plan to him. "What exactly were you planning for us to do? I mean, where are we going?"

Dakota's face relaxed into a grin. "I have rented us a bed and breakfast room up near the reservation. It is a beautiful place - quiet and relaxing and secluded."

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers
12