The Hunter's Companions Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why? Because you know he will tell you not to?" Belcarm asked.

"No, because it is none of his damn business. Nor is it yours for that matter!" Livinia snapped, Belcarm's haughty expression melted and was replaced with one of hurt. Her heart fell at the sight but she turned to Aegon who was watching them awkwardly. "Tell the idiots that I will be there tomorrow morning," She said to him, careful to soften the anger in her voice as it was not meant for him.

"I will. I will also send a squadron of Guardians to the portal to escort you to the court house. Will you be testifying too Bel?"

"Yes." Belcarm turned back to his father. Aegon said his farewell and left the room as quickly as possible. When the door shut behind him Belcarm walked over to where he had left his day clothes the night before and started to get dressed.

"Bel, what are you doing?" Livinia asked, climbing out of bed gingerly.

"I need to get some air," He snapped, she reached out and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Please understand, I think I need to do this. I can't keep it bottled up-" She begun, but he shrugged her off.

"I am going for a walk," his response was short as his fled the room, leaving Livinia reeling in his wake. Livinia groaned as the door shut beside him and crawled back in to bed, she was angry and was sorely tempted to follow, but the cramps in her womb and her aching legs were not to be ignored. Perhaps it would be best to let him blow off some steam on his own.

~*~

"What are you doing here?" Kalendras looked up as Belcarm stormed into his tent.

"She's going to testify," The Paladin growled, the anger clear in his voice.

"What?" Kalendras got to his feet and walked over to the Elf. "What are you talking about?"

"Liv! They asked her to testify against Mitrae at his trial tomorrow and she agreed! What in the name of the Sun Well does she think she's doing?" Belcarm hissed, before he began pacing back and forth across the tent.

Kalendras's gut twisted at the idea. It wasn't right to make her relive her experiences. Especially not in front of a court room of people. He had suspected that they would call on her, but he had hoped beyond all reason that it was a formality that they would forget about in light of the situation.

"She is so damn stubborn!" Belcarm almost yelled. "You have to tell her! I will bring her here and you have to tell her that this is a bad idea!" He said.

"No," Kalendras said firmly.

"What?"

"No. If she has made up her mind there will be no changing it." Kalendras sighed and watched the Paladin's body tense up. "If she wants to go then you have to go with her-"

"But-"

"If you don't go with her then she will go on her own... If she has to go on her own then I will hunt you down and skin you alive," Kalendras threatened, Belcarm glared at him angrily.

"Do you have any idea what they will do to her? They'll tear her to shreds! They'll ask her questions about everything! They'll want to know every detail!" Belcarm raged.

"Yes- and if the crazy girl is intent on doing it there will be no stopping her! If I were not stuck in this stupid tent I would take her myself, seeing as how you are so clearly against it. Unfortunately I have no choice. If I put so much as one toe back into that damned city I forfeit my life!" Kalendras said. "Go with her, and then be there for her afterwards."

Belcarm glared at him angrily, and Kalendras had known that he hit a sore spot when he said that he would go in his place. Even though they had both turned up at the portal, they were still not resigned to letting the other take prime place in Livinia's life.

"'Great help you were," Belcarm hissed before storming out of the tent again. Kalendras sighed and walked back over to his seat. As he lowered himself down he wished for the millionth time that he weren't stuck in the damned tent. His place was beside Livinia, she needed him to be there for her and instead he was stuck in Thunder Bluff. He clenched his fists and his teeth and closed his eyes, hoping that meditation would help. After a few moments though he knew it would be useless, instead he got to his feet and paced around the tent, wearing tracks in the already thinning carpets.

~*~

It was late and Belcarm returned to his own room instead of Livinia's when he came back from Thunder Bluff. He had still been seething upon his return, and did not want to have to talk to Livinia in such a dark mood. Once the Tauren had taken her side he had known it was a lost cause. As much as he hated to admit it, perhaps Livinia was right about it helping her recovery. Even so Belcarm hated the idea. It was completely wrong for somebody who had been abused in the way Livinia had to have to stand up in front of a room full of strangers and go into detail about how she was hurt. The room had darkened and Belcarm slipped into bed when he heard a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?" Livinia's voice whispered as the door to his bedroom opened.

"Sure," He said, sitting up in bed to watch her walk carefully over to him. Her back was still hunched and even in the flickering candle light he could see the dark circles under her beautiful green eyes. When she slid into bed next to him he laid down on his back and pulled her so that her head was resting against his chest.

"I can't sleep."

"I'm not surprised," He said haughtily making her sigh.

"Bel, I have to do this." She said "You've got to understand- I can't just let it go. Or ignore it. I have tried that for the past four days, but every time I close my eyes all I can see it him. If it weren't for the pain of the potion I wouldn't have anything to distract me..."

"But testifying against Mitrae? How will that mend things?" Belcarm asked, his heart aching at her words. She had seemed fine to him, she had been happy to talk to Kalendras and himself about their past adventures, and at nights she had fallen asleep in his arms. She might have looked distant at times, and been quick to take offense, but he hadn't known that it haunted her to such a point.

"I don't know, I just think that it is something I need to do... to talk about it. Keeping it inside is like trying to hold on to a piece of ice... It feels okay at first, but slowly it hurts more and more and..." Belcarm felt her chest begin to heave against his side and he rolled over and wrapped his arms around her. "I can't believe they broke me so quickly, Bel, I thought I was stronger than that!" She said, her voice full of self-loathing.

"You are strong!" He argued back, planting a firm kiss on the top of her head.

"Ha! Don't pretend. All it took was a demon and a couple of potions and he had me like putty in his hands! I thought you were dead, Belcarm, and Kalendras too!" She growled. "I let him convince me that I was in love with him! If you and Kal hadn't of come in when you did I would've-"

"Don't Liv! Don't do this to yourself! It was not your fault. You weren't to know that he was using potions against you, and while you are in a dream state like you were you have no way to control what happens," Belcarm murmured into her hair.

"I should've resisted him! I should have fought back!" She argued.

"And how were you supposed to do that, then? He had you chained in that damn dungeon Liv! You had no say in it- in any of it!" Belcarm said, he placed his hand under her chin and pushed her head up so that she had no choice but to look at him. "You say you weren't strong, but you resisted that demon the second time, and then you gave yourself up for me! Now don't think for one second that I approve of what you did, you should have saved yourself, but please know that I do appreciate it. You are strong, and selfless, and I love you," He said fiercely.

Livinia's emerald eyes burnt into his for a moment before she pushed herself up and slammed her lips against his. As her tongue slid between his lips he moaned in delight. She taste of sweetness and tears, and her lips were soft against his own. As she kissed him her hands tangled in his hair and pulled him closer. Even though the after effects of the Succubus's lure had worn off the day before his erection was almost full in an instant.

When she pulled away from him her cheeks were flushed and shining with tears, but she managed a smile for him and it warmed his heart.

"I love you," She told him, and freed a hand from his hair to place on his cheek.

"I'm coming with you tomorrow."

"I know." Was all she said before she buried her head in his chest and closed her eyes.

~*~

The Guardians were waiting at the portal the following morning, just as Aegon had promised. When Belcarm and Livinia greeted them they were escorted straight to the Halls of Justice. Belcarm had chosen to wear his full set of armor and he had suggested that she do the same, just in case. However, Livinia's Aunt had called her aside that morning and had a chat to her, according to Caristra, it would be best for Livinia to wear normal clothes. Belcarm hadn't liked the idea at all, but once Livinia had insisted, pointing out that she would have him there with her, he no longer had grounds to argue. Another thing that he wasn't happy about was that she had refused, yet again, his offer to heal her and give her a reprieve from her pain. Belcarm had insisted that she shouldn't have to be so uncomfortable, even if just for today, but she had been adamant. She had said the pain was lessening, and added quietly that perhaps seeing her in pain would be just what the judges would need. Belcarm hated that idea almost as much as the idea of her testifying in the first place, but Kal's words kept coming back to him. She had made up her mind, there was no way he could change it, so the only thing for him to do was to be there for her.

"Miss Sunspeaker, Mr Sharpsword," A scrawny clerk said cordially as they were led into a waiting room. "The trial has already begun for the day. You, Miss Sunspeaker, will be called in first. When they have asked you everything they need to know you will be taken out a side door and then Mr. Sharpsword will be taken in."

"I can't be in the room when she testifies?" Belcarm asked sharply, making the man shudder at his tone.

"No, I am afraid it goes against court protocol to have witnesses hear each other's testimony."

"Then we are going home," Belcarm said simply, offering his elbow for Livinia to take. Livinia turned and glared at him but he ignored her, zeroing in on the Clerk instead.

"Mr. Sharpsword, it is the way it has been done ever since the courts were established!"

"Well that is too bad. I refuse to leave Livinia alone in the same room as that bastard."

"She'll hardly be alone," he snorted indignantly, "There court room galley is full, the walls are lines with Guardians and we have two bailiffs."

"Yes, and where were the guardians when those Warlocks dragged her off to their dungeon?"

"Allegedly dragged her off..." The Clerk sniffed.

A low growling sound came from Belcarm as his entire body stiffened. He took a menacing step towards the clerk. Livinia rolled her eyes and stepped between the two, the clerk giving her a thankful smile which she returned with a glare.

"I assure you that there was nothing alleged about it!" Belcarm said, looking over her shoulder.

"I'll go and see what I can do." The clerk half whimpered before slipping out of the door as quick as lightning.

"Belcarm! You can't do that! There are protocols!"

"Screw their protocols!" Belcarm said, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close. "I only care about you."

"I know..." Livinia sighed, resting her head on his chest. "Unfortunately though, we have to do this their way or not at all... and I didn't come all the way back to this place just to turn around and go home." She looked up at him, her face set in a grimace, and lowered his face so that his lips rested on hers.

"You shouldn't have to face that alone," He whispered, eyes welling with emotions that made her gut twist.

"I don't want to either... but I know that you I will see you right afterwards and that everything will be fine."

Livinia and Belcarm stood in each other's embrace until the door creaked open again.

"Mr. Sharpsword?" The Clerk hummed as he re-entered the room, "The judge has agreed to allow you in the courtroom while Miss Sunspeaker is questioned on two conditions. You must testify first, and you will be required to sit behind the witness box so that Miss Sunspeaker will not be able to see you in case you unintentionally influence her responses."

"And while I am testifying her who will guard her?" Belcarm asked, pulling away from Livinia and crossing his arms over his chest.

"We can get somebody to come up from another court room?" The Clerk suggested.

"Not good enough. I want no one here with her except for my father, the Master of Sword."

"I don't know if that will be possible-"

"Right then, we're going," Belcarm grasped Livinia's hand but the Clerk jumped in front of the door.

"Give me another moment then," He said before slipping out of the room. His absence was much shorter this time; he returned only a few minutes later with Aegon in tow.

"Well, that was quick." Belcarm grinned at Livinia with satsfaction glinting in his eyes.

"I was already in the court room watching the trial," Aegon said by way of explanation, giving Livinia and his son a smile in greeting.

"Well, Mr. Sharpsword- Belcarm- if you will come with me they are ready for you now," The clerk said.

"Don't worry son, I'll won't go anywhere," Aegon assured him, Belcarm nodded and took a deep breath before heading for the door.

"Bel! Wait!" He turned just in time to catch Livinia as she threw herself against him and planted a hard kiss on his lips. "I love you," She whispered, he smiled and brushed a stray strand of magnificent crimson hair from her face.

"I love you too," He replied, ignoring the impatient tapping of the Clerk's foot. "I'll be right behind you, I promise." He told her, she nodded mutely and released him from her stranglehold, and Belcarm was relieved to see his father place a protective hand on her shoulder. He went to testify with a sharp sense of relief that his father would not be in the room to hear his shame.

~*~

"You really do love my son, don't you?" Aegon asked as Belcarm shut the door behind him. Livinia's brow furrowed and she turned to face the older elf, once again alarmed by his similarity to his son.

"Yes. Of course." Livinia replied, taken aback by the implications of the question.

"I meant no offense..." Aegon said quickly, his lips pursing as he tried to search for the right words. "I just wondered how much he could really mean to you if you were still intent on being with Kalendras."

The question made Livinia grit her teeth. She had been through this in her own mind hundreds of times; she had no hope of convincing Aegon of something she didn't know for herself.

"Have you ever loved two people at once?" Livinia asked Aegon softly.

"Yes... My wife and my son." His reply came with a soft laugh and a thoughtful smile.

"And if you had to pick between them?" Livinia asked "Could you have made that decision?"

"That's different," Aegon said dismissively.

"How?"

"Well... Tirianna was my wife and Belcarm is my son. It's different."

Livinia rolled her eyes.

"I understand if you don't approve of me, but please know that I love Belcarm. I love him with everything that I am and would give my last breath for him. My relationship with Kalendras does not change that," Livinia said softly, Aegon shifted in his seat so that he could look at her properly.

"Look," Livinia sighed, "I really wish I knew what to tell you. I wish I could explain myself better, but how can you put words to the knowledge of your heart? "

Aegon thought on that in silence for a few minutes before he sat forward in his seat, placing a paternal hand on her shoulder.

"Belcarm is all I have left," Aegon said gently, "I don't mean to question your integrity; it's just that I don't want to see my son hurt. I know he loves you, and I can see that you love him too. Even though I have no idea of how you three will work things out, I hope you do."

A smile stretched across Livinia's face and Aegon smiled back at her. When he took his hand off her shoulder she fell back into her seat and the room was filled with a nervous silence. It seemed like an eternity before the Clerk returned to escort Livinia to the court room. Aegon went with them, and just before the double doors opened he pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I will be seated right beside the door. If the questions become too much just signal me and I will get you out of here," He whispered.

"Thank you," Livinia said shakily as she turned to face the court room full of people waiting to hear her story.

~*~

Belcarm sat in his seat behind the witness stand and clenched his fists, anger coursing through his body. The questioning had been brutal. They had dissected every word he said, made him look like a half wit, and then made statements out of his words that were never there before. They had asked about the Succubus and made him look weak. They had asked him about Rioden's murder and made him look like he was the one that should be on trial. When they had asked him about Livinia he had been furious. He had managed to tell them that Livinia was a better person than Mitrae could ever dream to be before they told him to stick to the questions.

Now Belcarm watched her walk slowly down the centre aisle with his father close behind. She was still walking gingerly, and her face was devoid of emotions, but he knew her well enough to know that this calm was merely a façade. For a person whose emotions never left her eyes, this mask was unnerving. A sign that she was in a monumental amount of distress.

They started with simple questions. Age, name, parents, where she grew up. They asked her if she knew Mitrae and Rioden before the 'alleged' kidnapping. That was something that made Belcarm furious. The way they used the word 'alleged' to imply that there was a question about whether or not she had been abducted. As if there was a question of Mitrae's overwhelming guilt.

"And what is your relationship with one Mr. Belcarm Sharpsword?" The lawyer for the prosecution asked. The one that was on their side.

"He is my lover," Livinia replied without hesitation. Belcarm could hear the pride in her voice and was desperate to touch her, to tell her that things would be ok. She was seated no more than two feet away from him, her silky red hair falling in a luxurious sheet over the back of the stiff wooden seat.

"And what is your relationship with one Mr. Kalendras Totemrunner?"

"He is my lover."

A buzz of whispered conversation filled the court room.

"You are seeing both of them at the same time?"

"Yes."

"And they are aware of this arrangement?"

"I don't see how it is relevant, but yes. They're aware of it," Livinia replied acidly.

They had asked Belcarm a similar question and gotten the same response, almost word for word. The defense attorney had told him that they needed to get an adequate picture of his character, as if he were the one on trial.

The real questions began a few minutes later when they asked about what happened the night that Livinia was abducted. Belcarm could see her shoulders shaking slightly as she recounted how she blacked out and awoke in chains. He listened, seething with anger, as she recounted how they told her about her mother, how they said that she would either marry Rioden or Belcarm and Kalendras would be executed. When she reached the part about the succubus she stopped and her head turned slightly before her entire body froze. She was looking for him. Belcarm wanted to reach out and touch her, but he knew he would be out of the room faster than he could blink. The judge had warned him about as much.