The Ice-Breaker Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kaitlyn rolled her eyes and reached out to flip through some of her colorful blouses. "You're not gay, Joel, or even a metrosexual. What makes you think you could help me pick out an outfit?"

"Isn't that what best friends are supposed to help with?" Joel asked, not sounding wounded in the least.

"Best girlfriends," Kaitlyn replied. "It's no big deal. I'm just going to a bar downtown. I'll just wear my red sweater."

"A bar downtown? Which one?"

"Do you think my red sweater will make me look too pasty at this time of year?" Kaitlyn again ignored Joel's pointed questions. She turned to face her full length mirror, holding the wine-colored turtleneck sweater up to her chest. Then she shook her head; too dark, she thought.

In her ear, Joel groaned in frustration. "Kaitlyn, come on!" he pleaded. "Give me something to go on here."

She giggled, enjoying torturing her cousin. "Am I not allowed to have any secrets?"

"Not from me!"

"Joel, you don't tell me who you go out with every weekend. Why do I have to tell you about my dates?"

"Because you don't date," he replied. "This is a rare occasion and I'm curious."

"You're nosy," Kaitlyn countered and flipped through a few more of her shirts. Nothing I have is nice enough, she thought, chewing on the inside of her cheek.

"Only because I care," Joel said. "If you don't tell me everything, Kait, I'll just come over and hang out until he picks you up."

Kaitlyn laughed, because she knew her cousin would do exactly that. "He's not picking me up. We're meeting downtown."

"Ah-ha!" he exclaimed and Kaitlyn could picture him shooting a finger into the air in a 'eureka' gesture. "So you are going out with a guy."

Laughing, Kaitlyn conceded the point. "I'm still not going to tell you anything." Joel fell silent and Kaitlyn could practically hear the wheels in his head spinning. "You're not going to follow me, either," she said, earning a mischievous chuckle from her cousin.

"All right," he agreed. "I'll let this go this time, Kait. If you have a good time tonight, you have to come to the bar tomorrow and tell me everything. Maybe bring your date along, too."

Kaitlyn laughed at his suggestion, cutting herself off before she could say there was a good chance her date would come to the bar anyway. "Well, thanks for the fun chat, Joel, but I still have to decide on something to wear."

"Wear your new shirt," he said.

"What new shirt?" Kaitlyn asked with a frown, her eyes going over her hangers again. "That one Jules made me buy?"

"Yeah. It looked great on you."

"I don't know," Kaitlyn replied, reaching for the shirt in question. "It's got short sleeves."

"Good. Show as much skin as you can."

Kaitlyn laughed and thanked her cousin for his advice. Then they ended the call and she tossed the phone onto her bed. She held the shirt up before her. It was a soft, loose material that remarkably hid her wobbly parts, as she affectionately referred to them. It was short sleeved, just capping her shoulders, and was a dark color with bright swirling colors patterned overtop. She shrugged as she stared down at it.

One is as good as another, I suppose, she told herself and pulled it off the hanger.

A short while later, she was downstairs, munching on a light dinner, killing more time before she left. She tried to find the game on TV but it wasn't being shown on any local channels. So she gave up and watched a drama until she felt she couldn't sit still anymore. At around nine, she left, telling herself she'd need time to get downtown and find parking.

***

Alex couldn't believe how fast he showered and changed following their game against Dallas. The other guys raised their eyebrows at him and when he sat down by his locker to pull his socks and shoes on, one of his teammates sat down next to him. Barely glancing in Eric's direction, Alex continued to pull his shoes on.

"What's the rush, Perdy?" Eric asked nonchalantly, rubbing a towel over his shaved head. "Hot date?"

Alex couldn't stop the grin from spreading across his face and he didn't mind at all when Eric hooted with laughter at his expression.

"Oh, man. Is she hot?" Eric asked in a loud voice, drawing the attention of a few other teammates.

"Perdy's got a date?" Brian asked. "What's her name?"

"I bet she's a Newfie!" Craig added, sidling up on Alex's other side.

Alex straightened, still grinning. He met his teammates' curious stares with a shrug. "What makes you think I'll tell you guys anything?"

"Because if you don't, we'll kick your ass," Brian replied with a wicked grin. Brian was the team's resident enforcer and currently led the league in fight minutes. A dubious distinction, but something he was definitely well known for.

Alex met Brian's steady gaze but shook his head. "I'm not telling you guys anything. Wouldn't want to jinx myself."

This drew more laughter from his teammates.

"Perdy doesn't want us to jinx his chances of getting laid tonight," Eric laughed and looked around at the others standing nearby.

Alex shook his head again. He wasn't worried about jinxing his chances for that. He knew if he laid it on thick enough, he could most likely get Kaitlyn to go home with him. However, he didn't want to rush things. For whatever reason, he was more than willing to take his time getting to know her. Of course, his raging hormones might affect his decision-making abilities later, but he'd deal with that as it came.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow morning," he said and pushed his way through his teammates.

They continued to razz him until the locker room door closed behind him. He greeted a few lingering reporters with a smile but when no one asked to speak with him, he moved past them. He hurried to the player's parking lot and got into his vehicle, his blood already roaring in his ears at the thought of meeting up with Kaitlyn. As he waited for his car to warm up, he checked his cell phone for messages, just to make sure she hadn't cancelled at the last minute. There were no calls, so he headed out of the Saddledome parking lot with a grin on his face.

Finding parking near The Rose and Crown on 15th Avenue was tricky. It was a Thursday night but since the game had just ended a lot of bars in the area were busy. Alex circled the blocks near the bar for a few minutes before locating a spot. He pulled in and forced himself to keep from sprinting to the old-fashioned three-story funeral home that had been converted to a bar.

Inside, the crowd was thick, colored by many Flames jerseys. Alex ducked his head, hoping he wouldn't be recognized. He kept his eyes peeled for Kaitlyn's familiar face and when he didn't find her on the first floor, he hurried up to the second floor. It was a little quieter up there and he found her sitting in one of the big easy chairs by a fireplace.

"Kaitlyn," he breathed, hurrying over to her. When he stopped by her chair, she looked up, startled.

"Oh, Alex," she gasped and smiled. "You scared me."

"Sorry about that," he replied and leaned down to kiss her on the cheek before he lost his nerve. It was impulsive, and possibly a big mistake, because as soon as he inhaled her sweet, feminine scent, all his blood pounded through his veins to settle in his groin. She froze as his lips brushed her cheek but she didn't pull away and, as Alex sat in the chair across from her, he saw the pale blush in her cheeks.

"How was the game?" she asked.

Alex glanced around as he pulled his jacket off. He didn't know if the bar had been showing the game or not, and maybe she'd just arrived and missed the final score. "We lost, 3-1."

"I'm sorry," she replied and offered him a small smile. "You must be upset."

He was, but he tried not to let it get to him. It would be great to win on their home ice but they'd struggled with that all season. "How long have you been here?"

"About a half hour," she replied and glanced at her watch. "Oh wow, I can't remember the last time I was out this late."

Alex chuckled. It was just past ten-thirty. "I'm not keeping you up past your bedtime, am I?"

She grinned. "You are, but that's all right. Joel tells me all the time that I need to get out more, have more fun."

"Then I'm just glad I could help," he replied. Just then, the waitress stopped by their table and Alex ordered a beer. "She'll take another of what she's having, as well," he added, indicating the bottle in Kaitlyn's hand.

"Oh, I don't know..." she hesitated, glancing at her nearly empty bottle of Big Rock Traditional. "I have to drive myself home later."

Alex grinned and waved her off. "If you need to, I'll buy you a cab ride home."

Kaitlyn's eyebrows shot up and she smirked. "Well, all right then, Mr. Moneybags."

Chuckling, Alex relaxed back in the easy chair and looked around. "This is a great place," he commented. "Have you been here before?"

"Once, a while back for my friend Julia's eighteenth birthday," Kaitlyn replied, following his gaze. The building had originally been a funeral home, before being converted to a bar in the mid-eighties. The owners of the bar had maintained as much of the original structure and style as they could, wanting to keep the old-fashioned look.

"Where did you spend your eighteenth birthday?" Alex asked, smiling at Kaitlyn.

She met his smile with a grin. "Is that your subtle way of asking how old I am?"

"No one ever accused me of being subtle," Alex replied with a laugh. "If you want to share, I won't stop you."

It was her turn to laugh. "I think I've already shared too much with you, remember?"

"Of course," he agreed. "We can't go to a beach right now, and it's definitely not raining." He paused, considering and leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees. "We could hit a bookstore so you can browse, if you want. Although, at this time, they must all be closed."

She didn't respond right away and Alex watched as she drew her bottom lip between her teeth to chew delicately on it. He swallowed around the sudden thickness in his throat and kept from reaching for her. Don't rush, he reminded himself. There's no need to rush.

"I can't believe you remember all that," she murmured at last, smiling shyly at him.

"Why wouldn't I?"

She shrugged, picking at the label on her beer bottle. "Guys aren't exactly the greatest listeners, and I was just some strange woman in the bar that night."

"You're not strange," he replied with a grin.

He was rewarded with her bright laugh and straightened, feeling like he'd just won the lottery. The waitress returned with their drinks and Alex paid for them, rather than starting a tab. If the urge to carry her home came over him, he didn't want to have to wait to clear the bill.

"So how was your day?" he asked.

"It was... strange."

He lifted his eyebrows as he took a long pull from his bottle. "Strange? Why do you say that?"

"Well, I'm used to running around like crazy, trying to take care of everything, and then working an extra two or three hours, too," she replied and looked up with a smile. "It's just a bookstore but I guess I'm a bit of a workaholic."

"No, you're not. You're just someone who likes to have things done right."

"That's a polite way of putting it."

"It's the truth, isn't it?"

She laughed and shook her head. "You don't even know me!"

"Well, that's why we're here, right?"

She met his eyes and nodded. They fell silent for a moment, just staring at each other as the orange glow from the fire beside them cast flickering shadows over their faces. Alex studied her, taking in the way her wavy brown hair brushed her shoulder every time she moved. Her eyes were dark inside the dim bar, but still sparkled as the fire lit her from one side. She looked comfortable and relaxed in her seat. Her arms were bare and he saw goosebumps rise on her skin.

"Are you cold?" he asked, surprised when his voice came out hoarse.

She lifted her eyes to meet his gaze and blinked. Alex swallowed as he watched her, unconsciously leaning closer. As he moved, she lifted the bottle to her lips and downed the last two-thirds of her beer in one big swallow. Alex's eyes widened and he smiled as he watched her catch her breath.

"Do you want to stay here?" she asked.

"I... what?" he stammered, caught off guard.

She flushed but didn't look away from his eyes. "I... uh, I don't... I mean, we don't... have to stay here... if you... want to go." She spoke hesitantly and Alex could hear the underlying question.

"We can leave," he replied. "Where do you want to go?"

She shrugged and put a hand to her cheek. "I don't know," she breathed and shook her head. "Do you have to be up early tomorrow?"

Another unexpected question. Alex grinned at her and downed the remainder of his beer. "Not very early."

She watched him swallow and bit her lower lip again, making Alex choke back a groan. "Are you being purposefully vague?" she asked.

"Not purposefully," he answered and stood up. He pulled his jacket on swiftly and reached a hand out to help her to her feet. "I was trying to be a gentleman and leave the choice up to you."

"What choice?" she asked as she set her little hand in his.

He closed his fingers over hers and lifted her up beside him. She didn't move back and Alex could feel her body brush against his as she shifted on her feet.

"I don't think I need to say it, do I?" he asked, his voice husky.

She shook her head, not taking her eyes from his face. Grinning down at her, Alex released her fingers and reached around her to grab her jacket from the back of her chair. As he pulled it over her arms, Kaitlyn gazed up at him.

"How about you follow me to my place?" she suggested and Alex nodded solemnly. A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. "You're being vague again."

He chuckled and closed his hands on her arms, leaning down so their faces were close together. "I would love to come to your place, Kaitlyn," he told her in a low voice, pleased when her eyelashes fluttered nervously. "Is that clear enough for you?"

She nodded and moved past him, leading the way downstairs and out of the pub.

***

Kaitlyn had plenty of time to second guess herself on the drive to her apartment. Every time she looked in her rearview mirror and saw the headlights tailing her vehicle, she got a wicked fluttering sensation in her stomach.

I'm going to pass out before he even kisses me, she thought and a nervous laugh bubbled out of her mouth.

She clamped her lips together and ordered herself to focus on the road and the other vehicles around her. In another few minutes, she pulled into the parking lot of her apartment building and stood near the main entrance, waiting for Alex to park and follow her.

"I thought I'd lost you," she said as he walked up to her.

He chuckled, the deep sound doing strange things to her body. "I didn't take my eyes off you for a second."

She quirked an eyebrow at him. "That's dangerous," she murmured, tipping her head back to look into his face when he stopped right next to her. Lord almighty, is he tall! she thought. Turning, she unlocked the door and led the way inside.

The elevator ride was quiet and Kaitlyn chewed her bottom lip nervously. She couldn't remember the last time she'd brought a guy home. The more she thought about it, the more she realized she couldn't even remember the last real date she'd had. A self-conscious blush covered her cheeks and she scowled at the murky reflection on the elevator doors before they parted.

"Your floor?" Alex asked when she made no move to walk off.

Glancing around, Kaitlyn nodded and walked down the hall to her apartment, Alex's heavy tread close behind her.

"Is everything all right?" Alex asked as she unlocked her door and brought him inside.

"Sure, why?" she replied, not looking at him. She moved into her apartment, taking her coat and shoes off, and leading the way to the living room.

Alex followed, gazing around curiously. Kaitlyn glanced at him as she sat down on her couch, glad that she kept her place so tidy. I'm not home enough to mess it up, she added silently, frowning at the floor now.

"Kaitlyn, there seems to be something bothering you," Alex said, coming to sit down next to her. He gave her a friendly smile and Kaitlyn noticed that he sat apart from her, allowing no part of their bodies to touch. For some reason, it bothered her, making her feel even more self-conscious.

Maybe he's changed his mind, she thought, looking away from his face. Maybe he doesn't want to be alone with me.

Then he leaned towards her, his long arm stretching across the back of the couch behind her head. "Kaitlyn," he murmured her name in a low voice that sent a shiver up and down her spine. "What's wrong?"

She let her breath out slowly, giving him a weak smile. "Nothing," she replied.

He cocked an eyebrow at her, his full lips curving up in a smile that made her stomach flutter with renewed strength.

"I'm fine," she insisted, her voice sounding thick even to her own ears. She cleared her throat and smiled again. "I am. I just..." she paused and laughed, shaking her head. "You know, this is the first time I've been alone with a guy in this apartment?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, except for Joel but he doesn't count," she said and waved her hand dismissively.

The couch creaked and bounced under her as Alex moved closer. She looked up to find him barely a foot away now, his muscular arm sliding further behind her. She swallowed, watching Alex's face and trying to tell herself not to freak out.

You're not some eighteen-year old virgin, for crying out loud, she told herself.

"Do you want me to go?" Alex asked.

Mutely, Kaitlyn shook her head. At his answering smile, she felt the fluttering in her stomach move lower. Still, he studied her quietly, his face relaxed, his smile easy and unassuming.

"You want to watch a movie?" he asked.

Kaitlyn let her breath out, not even aware until then that she'd been holding it in. She wrenched her gaze away from his face and looked at her TV, with the small stand full of DVD's next to it. A movie, she thought. That's good. I can do a movie. If something else happens... well... the thought trailed off and she managed to nod at Alex's question.

He rose from the couch and crouched in front of her movie collection. Kaitlyn smiled, wondering what his reaction would be to the multitude of 'chick flicks.' She was a big fan, mostly because they were excellent for taking her mind off of work. She had a few fun action movies but preferred romantic comedies. Standing up, she moved across the room to stand beside him.

"You can pick," she told him.

He glanced up at her and grinned. "Wow, thanks," he replied with a touch of sarcasm that made her grin back at him. "Looks like my options are kind of limited. It's a toss-up between The Lake House and Just Like Heaven."

"Oh, those are good ones," she said and clapped her hands. She laughed at his expression, feeling her tension ease away. I can do this, she thought and watched him run his fingers over the titles. He might not even be thinking about the same thing as me.

Yeah, right, was her mind's own sarcastic response.

"OK, this one looks the least feminine," Alex announced, straightening to his full height with a movie in hand.

Kaitlyn grinned at his choice of words as she took the movie from him. "Troy," she read aloud and nodded approvingly. "One of my favorites." She glanced at her movie collection before grinning up at Alex. "I think you found the one movie that's not a romantic comedy."

He rolled his eyes and exhaled in relief. "Thank God," he muttered and chuckled as she swatted his arm playfully.

"The only reason I have this movie is because of the rippling abs and enormous biceps on the men," Kaitlyn couldn't help adding.