The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 48

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Be careful, Shiloh," Pia spoke up.

Shiloh smiled at her, "And you as well. Don't let the Dhorn see you, though, if they haven't come to investigate all the noise over here yet then I doubt they will." She then slipped into the water, noting how deep the water became right way. Mud seeped between her toes, making them feel squishy. The cold hit her, but she quickly submerged her body, taking in the dark and murky depths. It was impossible to see the bottom, causing her to wonder how many fish she'd disturbed with her presence.

"Are you okay, Shiloh?" Pia asked, concerned.

"Yep," she splashed water towards Vico and Pia, laughing.

"Hey," Vico backed off.

"Watch out for all the fishes, though." Pia giggled as she moved out of the way of the water hitting the shore.

Vico shook his head, "Don't distract our little mermaid with dirty jokes, Pia darling."

Pia rolled her eyes.

"As I said, be careful, Shiloh." Vico ordered. "You'll come back as soon as you've found a way in."

"Yes, daddy," she stuck her tongue out at him. Reaching up on the shore she grabbed the portable hole, gripping it between her teeth. She started swimming, her strokes were fluid and graceful moving slowly as to not cause too many ripples in the water.

As she approached the island, she spotted a few guards with bows stationed on the parapets. Hoping they wouldn't spot her, she continued on until she found a spot which safe enough to climb ashore. Carefully, she climbed out of the water. Hugging the wall, she slipped her armor back onto her wet body, shivering in the chill of the persistent rain. Still staying close to the wall, she made a circuit around the perimeter of the lodge. To her chagrin, there was no postern gate and no boats, either.

She returned the spot where the open window was. She flipped open the portable hole, digging about for her rope. She cursed as she couldn't find it.Damn, she gritted her teeth and examined the wall before her.

Thick green weeds grew from the cracks in the stony wall of the hunting lodge. Hmmm, she figured she might be able to climb up, to the window above her. It's admittedly a stretch, but she had to try. With a deep breath, she started making her way up the wall, gripping the weeds while finding holes between the stones where she could put her hands and feet. Many of the old stones were loose, tending to wiggle. She sighed as her thoughts turned to how the wall and this hunting lodge in general had seen better days. Her sigh caught in her throat as she thought of the people who used to live here that must've died when the Dhorn took over. She wondered if General Therbald and his family suffered when they died or if it was a clean kill.Don't think about it,she chastised himself.Just keep climbing.

When she was within arm's reach of the window, she made the mistake of looking down. She shuddered. Her mind screamed at her.Merciful gods, don't fall now.Then she grabbed the windowsill. So far so good. She gripped the sill and found another foothold. She knew she could push herself up now.

As she applied her weight on the stone, it slipped from its bed.Shit,she cursed, losing her grip. Tumbling backward, she grabbed at anything she could, but to her dismay, there was nothing but air. Shiloh hit the ground hard, smacking her head off a rock. The impact knocked her breath from her lungs. She groaned as her vision blurred. She drifted off into oblivion.

O.O

Stupid, stupid, stupid,she cursed herself as she awoke in a cell. She staggered to her feet, stretching and rolling her shoulders. Her neck popped. She groaned, cursing even more. That's when a low chuckle caught her ears.Oh fuck,she closed her eyes. She'd been caught by the Dhorn.Please don't let it be Arto Benthur. And if it is, please let me die quickly.

Slowly she turned toward the source, pivoting on the balls of her feet, her eyes opening slowly. She blinked rapidly as the party in question came into view. An audible sigh ripped from her throat. She dashed forth, taking in the sight of the black haired ruby skinned avatar, "Ni'as," She exclaimed as she threw her arms around him.

"Quite the predicament you've gotten yourself into this time, my pet." He chuckled again. "I am glad you are well."

"It is wonderful to see you, Ni'as. I've often wished you would come to me, but I was told you were preoccupied with Myra."

A flash of pain flashed over the avatar's face at the mention of her name. He shook his head. "There is much you are not aware of, little precious. We don't have much time."

Her brow furrowed as his appearance shifted before her very eyes. His ruby skinned faded, turning a deep bronzed tan. His ruby red eyes also shifted to glittering amber. "Tell me, Ni'as. I have been cut off from Lord Bastian. The blackguard severed the bond."

"I know, pet, but believe me when I say it's for the best. There has been a reckoning within the god ranks. Bastian challenged the Lord of War, defeated him by use of heinous trickery and stole his portfolio. All those souls yougiftedhim with lately bolstered him enough that he got it in his fool head to carry out his plan. After the Lord of War fell, he went after a couple other lesser gods, and stole their power. Finally he issued a challenge to Hyath and lost. Lord Bastian has been obliterated. He lost because the biggest source of his power, that being you and all your luscious energy, was no longer available. When the blackguard severed the bond, Hyath severed Lord Bastian's head. Until that moment, Bastian had been holding his own. He actually had the upper hand. That's not the only thing, though. Lady Myra was murdered along with her acolytes, Giselle and Nyema."

"Nooooooooooooooooo!" Shiloh cried out as the grief hit her, "And my sister?"

"Shanna left Bastian's service prior to all this happening. She discovered she was with child. She and her lover decided to settle down elsewhere." Ni'as replied. "I used the last bits of Bastian's power to return to the mortal plane."

"Who murdered Myra?" Shiloh's mind reeled. Myra dead. Giselle and Nyema dead. Her heart broke, splintered into pieces. It seemed so unreal to her.No, this is all a bad dream. Maybe I'll wake up soon.

"Some say it was Hyath's minions, but I don't think so. The temple had just opened and the flock was increasing. I believe it had to do with followers of the Sun God taking retribution for their fallen paladin. I was present when a High Cleric of the Sun God visited her. He was unhappy about what had happened and accused her of the worst crimes. The man attacked her, causing her to lose the babe. I was able to intervene and now that High Cleric is no more. I think her death was due to that. She had a beautiful soul. I miss her. I never thought I'd say that of a mortal woman, but there it is."

Tears scolded Shiloh's eyeballs, leaking down her cheeks in shiny rivulets. "Myra was so special. Her light touched so many people, including me. I'll miss her so much."

Ni'as wrapped his arms around Shiloh, pulling her close. She sobbed into the crook of his neck. He stroked her hair, cradling her and comforting her. "But you, my pet, you can still make a difference. There can be no further carrying on of Bastian's work, but you have it in you to be more than you are."

She pulled back from him, giving him a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

"You know. It's been on your mind constantly recently. Do you want to know how I know?"

Her brow furrowed, her lips twitching, "How?"

"I made sure to plant that suggestion in your head, my pet. Before her death, Myra cast an augury. You will be Queen. You will have everything you desire in that regard. You will find your King where you least expect to." Ni'as let her go, waving his hands about him as if he were casting a spell. Wispy shadows solidified becoming black as sin armor that covered his bronzed flesh. "Shall we?"

"Shall we what? And are you mortal now?"

He grinned, "Shall we leave this place, my pretty little one?"

"Yes, but you didn't answer my question," she huffed placing her hands on her hips.

"Once I was mortal, thousands of years ago, then Bastian found me and offered me power like you couldn't even begin to comprehend. Now I am something else entirely. No longer an avatar, no longer mortal. I can only be seen by those I allow to see me, though I can't say for how much longer," Ni'as replied, giving her the best answer he could. "I have a small kernel of power left, my precious, but I will not use it unless I have no other option. For now, I shall accompany you as your personal bodyguard and help you achieve your goals."

"Then let me see if I can pick the lock on this cell door." She pulled her lock-picks out a pouch on her belt, noticing finally that her weapons for missing from her sheaths.Great,she sighed,Damn Dhorn pricks! "Oh, did Myra's augury reveal who my King is?"

He shook his head, "No, that was not revealed. I think you will know when the time is right."

"Hrmph... Fine then," she grumbled under her breath as she worked on the lock. It wasn't difficult by any means. She had it open as mere seconds ticked by. Slowly she cracked the door, thanking her lucky stars it did not creak. She stepped out into the hallway, slipping into the shadows as she did so. She closed the door just as quietly then crept door the hall, checking both of the other cells from signs of Master Nathan and the others. Part of her wasn't sure if she should be relieved or worried when she found no sign of them ever being here.

She came to another door which she picked just as easily. It opened to a large room full of torture equipment. She shivered as she scrutinized some of the blood stained implements.Don't think about it,she chastised herself again as images of General Therbald entered her mind.Why couldn't her Lord Father just have left well enough alone?

Ni'as followed her as she crossed the room, stopping before another door. She knelt, picking its lock before making her way up a dimly lit corridor to the guard's quarters. A few guards were lounging around a table playing cards while a few others sparred. She hugged the walls, sneaking past them to another door. This one was trickier. She had to open it without them noticing. It seemed most of them were preoccupied. Perhaps the noise from the two sparring guards would mask the sound.

Quietly as possible she reached for the latch, depressing it then pushing the door open. Ni'as slipped through first at her coaxing. Then she followed, pushing it closed as silently as it had opened.Damn these Dhorn and their closed doors,she cursed under her breath. She saw a smirk on Ni'as face. Clearly he was enjoying this. She flashed him the evil eye.Damn sneaky invisible avatar!!!

He patted her bottom fondly before heading up the corridor. Shiloh followed him until they came to a stairwell. She motioned then took the stairs two by two, her long legs eating up the distance. She emerged in a brighter hallway and immediately sought what little shadows she could. This wasn't a favorable circumstance, but if she was quiet and hugged the walls she was sure she'd be fine.

The short corridor curved then ended in a door. A secondary door stood to her left. She considered them both for a minute. "You want the one directly ahead, my pet." Ni'as whispered.

She nodded, grasping the curved handle on it. It wouldn't budge as she pulled on it.Locked, of course the bloody thing is locked,she scoffed then whipped out her lock-picks again. Just as she heard the tumblers click and knew it was open, she felt a sharp, pointy object pressing into her back.

"Not now, Ni'as," she hissed.

"Hands up and hold it right there," a voice that didn't belong to Ni'as barked.

Busted.

"Fuck. Me." Shiloh rested her head against the door with an exasperated sigh. She reluctantly put her hands up, her head turning slightly so she could steal a glance at the speaker behind her.Oh fuck,she cursed her folly,that's definitely not Ni'as.Instead it was a Dhorn soldier, menacingly pointing a pair of swords at her back. Further investigation put Ni'as leaning nonchalantly against the left door. She flashed a look of distress at him, her eyes imploring him for help. Ni'as shook his head, raising a finger to his lips to keep her quiet about his presence.

Shiloh grumbled something incoherent, cursing him all the way back to the hells.

The Dhorn motioned to the door with one of his swords, "Open the door to your left, coozie, and walk into the room. Do not make any hasty movements either. I will not hesitate to run you through."

Great. Fuck. Me. She shook her head, obeying immediately. Ni'as stepped aside, catching her glare of death she flashed at him, allowing her to open the door the Dhorn had instructed. She walked into what looked to be a cozy sitting room, complete with a blazing fire in a large hearth. Comfy padded benches and overstuffed divans were grouped for entertainment purposes while a table with a wide array of finger foods rested against a wall.

The man who had apprehended her brought her to stand before a group of Dhorn nobles, judging by their attire.

She blanched immediately.Oh fuck me to the hells,she groaned, dropping her face into her hands.It couldn't be. It just couldn't be.Shiloh floundered, grasping for straws as she tried to understand. Her jaw worked frantically while she stammered nonsense words. Disbelief. Shock. Pain. Even self doubt rode her.How could this be? How could she be coming face to face with a dead man, with a dead man whose soul she'd offered to Bastian? There was no getting that back. Not from a dark lord who used those souls as power, who devoured them to serve his dark purposes. She shook her head. Damn and double damn, this can't be.

Looking up again, she caught hold of herself and met the gaze of the man before her. It was Simon Lyonson, the noble Jacia had her kill. She watched as he cocked his head, eyeing her just as curiously. He chuckled, a warm robust friendly sound if she'd ever heard one. "Doubting your eyes, my dear."

A man to her left that she hadn't noticed until the moment he slid an arm around her waist, cuddling her, spoke up, a husky whisper in her ear. "Surprised to see us, little coo."

Shiloh groaned as she pulled away hastily. She knew him all too well. It was Jero Fetton, the man she'd seduced in order to get close to Simon. "Not really," she snapped, feeling less than charitable. Then she glanced in Ni'as' direction. "They always come back to haunt you, don't they? Like bad coppers."


Jero smirked, chuckling at her retort. "Well, little coo, what can I say? You didn't exactly say goodbye to me. At least not in a way I would have liked."

She turned her frown upside down, plastering a plastic smile on her face. She had to use this to her advantage or she'd never come out of this unscathed. Moreover, she was sure Simon would have the information she needed. "Well, my handsome soldier, that's what I'm here for now."

Jero grinned at her cheekiness. He knew she had to be the consummate actress, "Yeah, riiiiight. No worries, coo. I'm not holding a grudge... not against a pretty little thing like you."

"That's quite charitable of you. I should consider myself blessed."

"Allow me to make some introductions, coo. Simon and I you already know." He motioned to the bearded man. "Our other associate is the man that caught you, Alen Kley."

Alen took that moment to speak up, "The girl didn't have much trouble getting out of her cell, just like the bloke said." He motioned to a young man with straw blond hair standing between a pair of guards.

Shiloh's brow furrowed as she recognized him. It was Benny Fryar, one of the two workers from Drago's Warehouse near the docks of Southern Betancuria were Drago conducted his import and export business. She pondered how he had come to be here then let it go. "Oh, getting out of that cell was actually quite easy. None of your red bastards know a damn thing about decent locks."

Simon's eyes lingered on her longer than was probably befitting. He grinned before he spoke, "For a noblewoman, and a princess at that, you have many quite remarkable talents, M'lady."

Jero chuckled, grinning widely. "You can say that again." He fondled her bottom.

Shiloh slapped his hands away with a glare. She gathered every ounce of haughtiness she could muster into her voice, "Stop grinning like a damn fool and know your place. That said, touch me again and you will regret it."

Alen snickered softly.

Simon flashed them both a look before speaking again. "I hope you will forgive me for not welcoming you as it befits a lady of your station, but I wanted to make sure your friend here spoke the truth." He gestured to Benny.

Benny cracked a shy smile at her. "Hello, Shiloh."

She frowned at him, eyeing him speculatively.Please don't let him be a spy."Benny," her lips quirked. "How is it that you're here?"

"They caught me at the warehouse. Good news is that they didn't get Drago... well as far as I know."

"Drago's too wily to be caught," Shiloh grinned. "Who else is here?"

Benny shrugged at her, "The only person I've seen is you, Shiloh."

Shiloh turned back to Simon, giving him the once over up and down as he'd done, "I'm sure I can be persuaded to forget the poor welcome, handsome."

Simon smirked at her. She had guts. He had to give her that. It was refreshing to see a woman that wouldn't back down just because a man was talking. He admired her for that. Every move she'd made since he met her had impressed him. And it didn't hurt that she was one of the most beautiful women he'd ever laid eyes upon. "Alen spotted you as you fell while you were climbing the wall. At first we thought you were just another thief, but that proved too good to be true. Your young friend recognized you and told me everything about you, Princess Shiloh. It was only then I realized we had met before," he replied. "I suppose you're here in order to find out what happened to that old tavern owner and his comrades."

"And if I were?"

"I'm afraid those people aren't here anymore, Your Grace. Lord Commander Mortensen ordered them moved to a more secure location. They are beyond your reach. He's a very careful man. He knows what you are capable of. You can count yourself fortunate, though. If he knew who you are, you'd most likely have joined those criminals already."

Shiloh's eyes flashed at him. She strode forward a few paces, extending her hand, then slapped him across the face with all the force she could muster. "You bloody red bastards are ones to talk about being criminals. You invade my home, murder at will, torture innocent people who are simply trying to get by and think it's justified."

Simon regarded her with an amused expression.Yes, this one had guts for sure.She was perfect for his needs.

Alen pulled a longsword from its sheath, prodding her again in hopes of making her back off. "Two of her companions are have pitched a tent about a mile or so to the north and east."

"You have me. Stay away from them. To tangle with the dark knight would only bring your death." Shiloh replied, watching as Benny's eyes widened at her innuendo.

Simon held up a hand, "I don't really see where you are in a position to make demands, Princess."

"Ah darling, but I very well could be persuaded to be in apositionto make demands, or take them, however you want it, handsome."

Alen shook his head, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say there's no way she's the Princess. She acts and moves like she's lived on the streets her whole life."