The Pirate and The Thief Ch. 08

Story Info
A battle turns bloody for Molly.
2.5k words
4.6
8.4k
5
0

Part 8 of the 12 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 02/08/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers

The next seven days passed in the same fashion, from the moment she was awake, Molly was given endless amounts of tasks to be completed. Always from the Captain and always the worst jobs, shy of the bilge pump that was. Sending her up the ratlines and into the crow's nest for short times before calling her down to be shown how the guns worked. Cleaning the vast store of weapons was another favourite job it seemed. The one she hated the most, the one that was never ending, was swabbing the deck, keeping it moist so it didn't dry completely and get ruined by the sea. It was a task that was never complete but at least she never had to do it alone. She saw nothing of the captain and neither did the rest of the crew. He chose to stay in his cabin and conduct his business there instead. The ship was run by quarter master Jack and boatswain Mahoney and the whole operation went as smooth as it could but after the first five days, his absence was beginning to be noticed. Muttering among the crew became louder, wondering where he was and what had happened. If it taught Molly one thing, it was that he was well thought of among his crew. The genuine concern for him would have been touching, if he wasn't making her do jobs no one else wanted.

Molly found that she missed Davie and life on the Red Plunder, sure Bess had been a real hard ass to work for but at least she'd spread the crap jobs round a bit. She currently sat on the fore deck stitching a patch, it was the first time in nearly a week that she'd been left to her appointed task and she was aware how lax she'd been in her duty. She worked at the patch, nodding at the various pirates who gave her a wave or a nod. She'd got to know most of the forty crew members over the last week which was the one bonus and she'd found her place among them. John and Bart remained her firm friends but the others were now more accepting. She was invited to the informal games of cards while not on duty and the other day, one of the young lads, Kiff, had asked for her help with splicing one of the cuntlines. Something she was not great at but they worked together until Mahoney was happy and she felt a great sense of achievement with her new friend.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a shout from the nest, "Ship ahoy!" She looked up, her needle frozen halfway through the stitch she'd been making. All activity on deck ceased. Everyone held their breath, waiting for the next words of the lookout. "Nebatian colours."

Mahoney sprinted across the deck, without more information, everyone would be on standby until they were sure. It was the first set of sails they'd seen since departing and as everyone resumed their tasks, there was only one question on their mouths, what would happen next? The murmur of working pirates returned and Molly tried to focus on stitching once more. Another hush descended on deck when the Captain strode from his cabin, a brass spyglass in his hand. He strode to the poop deck with Mahoney and Jack. Molly couldn't keep a smile from her face as she watched his long legs leap the stairs two at a time. Her breath caught as she remembered how he looked without the loose pants on -- something she'd dwelled on over the past few days despite herself. The wind snapped and pulled at his black locks; they spoke in hushed hurried tones before he scanned the horizon, first with, then without the spyglass. She watched them discuss something of urgency before the Captain shook his head. Jack threw up his hands before turning his back on the other two and striding off. Molly watched the quarter master thunder back to the deck, his face an ugly red.

"How good are you at fighting?" John said from behind her. Molly jumped. "Sorry lass."

"Maylan's breath, don't sneak up on my like that," she said, "To answer your question, I can handle myself well enough."

"Good, chances are you may need to in the few hours," he said. Molly nodded. She had a small knife thrust in her boot but the rest of her gear had been stashed with the rest of the weapons. There were in the hold safely out the way where they could be reached when they were needed, not to settle petty arguments should they arise on board.

Molly glanced along the deck and to the horizon, there it was, unmistakeable, a flutter of white in the distance. It wouldn't remain distant for long. The Captain took the helm, dismissing Jones who had been doing a fine job, "Arm yourselves!" he bellowed. Everyone dropped what they were doing, stowed what they were working on in the correct place and swarmed below deck. Molly took her sail cloth and stashed it below deck in a large locker. Jack and Mahoney had unlocked the weapons chests and everyone was arming themselves.

When Molly had her own sword and a boarding axe, she made her way back on deck. Pirates had already returned to the spars and shrouds, still more clung to the ratlines, awaiting the Captain's call. She would be on the boarding party should it get that far, John was at her side, an ugly sneer on his face. She'd never captured or fought another ship before so staying with him would probably be wise. Her palms became sweaty at the thought and she wiped them on her thighs. "Furl the top gallants, all masts!" the Captain shouted. His orders were carried out and he turned the helm to the starboard, "The topsail too. We want these dogs to catch up." The look on his face was one of glee, she could hear his sinister chuckle from where she was at the rails, so much different than the other night. She shivered.

Molly could do nothing but watch as the pirates carried out the orders. In less than a minute, the Sea Witch had slowed as most of the sail was taken in. Thirty minutes later, the Nebatian vessel could be made out with the naked eye without a problem. Another thirty and they were just off the starboard stern. Molly could make out the crew of the ship going about their work, much like she had been doing not an hour ago. She swallowed a pang of guilt before it could rise and distract her. "Run out the guns! Master Jack, you may do as you see fit," the Captain shouted. Jack nodded. He stood on the hatch ladder and gave the order.

The eruption of cannon fire tore through the air. The bone-rattling pound thundered through Molly and she gripped the rail. The deep boom was felt through the deck more than heard. The crack of wood and splintering of beams ripped from the other ship. The screams of surprised sailors echoed from the other ship; the air became thick with smoke as the Sea Witch issued another broadside into the hull of the Nebatian trader. Although they'd been caught by surprise, they were quick to answer. The Sea Witch shook with the impact of their response and Molly growled. John placed a hand on her shoulder and gave a squeeze. The next battery tore through the mainmast of the Nebatian. It shuddered, creaked and after a long held breath, crashed into the mizzen, bringing the ship to a near stop.

"Mahoney, get over to that ship!" Captain shouted. Mahoney nodded and mounted the rail. He, and a team of pirates, which included Bart, swung grappling hooks on ropes at the other vessel. The ends of rope were secured to cleats located on the deck alongside the rails. The hooks lodged onto the rail of the nearby ship, connecting the Sea Witch to it like multiple umbilical cords.

"This is us," John said. He handed her a boarding rope. Molly took it and placed her right foot on the rail. She held the rope in a knuckle white grip and waited. Her heart pounded heavy in her ears and she held her breath, waiting. An eternity passed in a few seconds and Mahoney swung over to the Nebatian ship. "Go!" John said drawing his cutlass, Molly did too. He screamed as though Tyr was coming to swallow him whole as he crashed on board the other ship. Molly followed and found she too was screaming. She landed with a thud and held her weapon out in front of her. The air was full of smoke; one of the cannon balls had torn through the deck and giant splinters stuck up in all directions like spikes. The deck was awash with blood, the cries and screams of the dying permeated the air.

"Come on lass," she spun round and saw Bart grinning down at her, "We've to fend off these slavers while Mahoney finds the captain!"

Slavers! Of course, this was a slave vessel, transporting members of the Swari tribes back for a life of misery and pain in Nebatia! She followed Bart across the deck, the sound of steel scraping on steel set her teeth on edge. A swarthy Nebatian stepped in front of her and she no longer had the time to think about it. He was dressed in the light loose linen trousers of his people. His hair was wrapped in a brightly coloured scarf; scraggly growth covered his face and he leered at her as though she was a piece of meat to be eaten. She brought her sword up just in time to prevent him taking her head off. She stepped backwards to give herself some more room and waited for his next attack. He followed her and pressed his advantage. Molly blocked his next blow, feeling the jolt all the way through to her shoulder socket. The same shoulder that she'd bruised when she'd fallen from the spar the other week, typical, it had only just healed too. He leered down at her, swatting away her feeble attempt to hack at him. Man, she was a useless fighter. "Come on lass!" John roared. The Nebatian looked around and Molly rushed forward, thrusting her sword in front of her as she ran. She caught him across the chest and dodged around as he looked down in surprise. Blood leaked from the massive wound; Molly was glad she'd kept the weapon sharp while on ship. She joined John, not giving the man a second thought, he wasn't the first she'd killed and he'd not be the last neither.

The deck shuddered with the crash of cannon fire, they'd fired on the Sea Witch and Molly kept her footing as the deck was once more flooded with white smoke. She coughed and blinked tears from her eyes, the stench of blood, fire and fear permeated the deck. It was difficult to tell who was who in the smoke. She tried to keep pace with John but in the noisy confusion she lost him. Another barrage issued from the side of the ship, this time Molly lost her footing and found herself on her knees in a pool of blood, thankfully someone else's. She pushed herself to her feet only to find that another Nebatian had discovered her. A blow to her head sent her reeling back to the deck and she spat out blood, hers this time. "I have had enough of this," she snarled. Somehow, her sword had got lost so she drew her boarding axe from where she'd thrust it in her belt. She kicked her attacker's ankle and felt the bone crunch. He cried out in shock as he fell. Molly clambered to her feet, crossed the deck and brought her axe down on the Nebatian's head.

Lights flashed in front of her eyes, black spots danced and she stood still for a moment, leaning on the mast for support. The wave passed and her vision cleared. That man had slapped her with some force. Molly straightened and hefted her axe once more. She went to take a step but the world swam again. She landed on her butt on deck. Fine, here was a good a place as any. She kept her axe close by. She wasn't sure how long she sat there before she was found. "I hope you're not slacking on the job Molly," It was the Captain.

"No, I was hit in the head and my legs stopped working," she said, her words sounded distant to her. He nodded.

"Sit tight, I have something to look after, I'll be back," he said pushing black hair from his face. He left her then and she did as he ordered, stayed right where she was. She could hear the vague murmur of voices, then the crack of a pistol. The thud of something hitting the deck brought her round a bit so she struggled to her feet. Her legs seemed able to carry her this time and she staggered forward. Her head cleared somewhat and she pushed strands of hair out her eyes. Her hand came away bloody and she noticed a cut for the first time. It was still oozing. She wiped her hand on her pants and strode forward. She joined the rest of her crew on the deck. The fighting had finished. The body of a dead Nebatian was on the quarter deck and her Captain was addressing the remaining sailors.

"Those are your choices," he said. The Nebatian's exchanged glances with each other and began muttering in their own language.

"What's going on?" she asked John when she found him among the crew.

"Standard fair, the surviving crew of this ship have the choice of joining us or death," John said.

"What about the ship?"

"It's in sound condition, Captain's going to turn it over to Jack with a handful of mates," he said.

"I see," Molly said with a nod. There was some more discussion between the Nebatian's before they agreed to the terms, "What happens now?" John motioned for her to listen.

"Jack, I leave you with Bart and half the boarding party," the Captain took a long look over the Nebatian sailors before dividing them into two groups. "You will join my crew," he pointed at the group on the left, "You shall remain with Jack." He said. Molly found herself unable to keep from admiring him. Everything about him told the crew who was in charge. She hated that he was as attractive as he was, seeing how he was such a jerk it didn't seem fair. "Volunteers to stay on board, stand over to the starboard side of the deck. Those who wish to accompany me back to the Sea Witch to the port," his words broke her thoughts and she looked around. What would she do? Go or stay? It seemed like a tough choice. Half her friends would join the new crew and yet, half would stay. It would be her chance to get away from the Captain and his endless supply of crap jobs but then again...

Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers