The Preacher Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sheffie turned and stared at Abigail. "What good? You mean tonight's concert music?"

Abigail brushed off the sarcasm. "You want some examples? We are good stewards of the Earth now Sheffie. There's a huge effort made to take proper care of the planet. The society in most part is also run on merit. And there's very little deceit, and the little that is found is severely punished."

Abby took a deep breath. "I've found vague references in the early writings that this wasn't always the case. I'm talking Wild Times, and even before the war. There's a lot of accountability in our society, even if its goals are wrong. Ilias and I want to pivot the society to a new direction, away from the child culling and the female mind mutilation and enslavement. But we don't want to destroy everything."

Sheffie turned to me and nodded, her eyes bright with intelligence. "You don't want to pivot the society Ilias. You want to pivot the religion."

I stared at Sheffie. Probably for almost all people on the planet, the two concepts are so interwoven as to be indistinguishable. "We should talk sometime, about what you mean by that."

Sheffie smiled at me in gratitude. "But for tonight..."

I smiled back. "Yes. Who have you found for me? Someone here in Dakar?" It was a reasonable guess. Dakar's specialty is information storage.

Abby shook her head no. "The girl is from Ur. She's a 0.4. We don't have much time."

I considered what Abby told me. Ur is a High Tech city on the southern run, located at the ancient site of Houston, Texas. Ur's Guild specializes in control and monitoring of all of Earth's satellites, both the orbital networks and the probes flying around the solar system. It wouldn't have been the first place I'd look for an information theorist. But then again, Shephatiah is without question one of the best physicists on the planet, and she grew up in the monastery of the Sheep Guild.

"0.4, huh?" I said. "So her sabbatical ends in another eight days. Shaitan! No one has claimed her yet?"

Sheffie shook her head. "No, no bids at all. There are some discipline marks against her. Nothing black flag, nothing that would cull her, but enough to stop a man from showing any interest."

I considered the girl's fate. Any girl without a willing man at her marriage gate would be automatically reviewed by an execution council. A clean record would probably result in the girl being made an eternal virgin and then leading a very lonely life in hard labor. With discipline issues though... Well, it would depend on the local council...

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Chanah," said Sheffie with a beaming smile. "She's brilliant Ilias! She's just published a sabbatical paper on meta-data that's absolutely brilliant. And her paper is being completely ignored. I don't think anybody realizes what it means."

"And you two are agreeable with this?"

Sheffie nodded vigorously. "Oh yes! Completely! Michal too!"

"Michal knows about this?"

"While you two were discussing group sex, I was talking to Michal about this before she went to sleep. She was surprised we were asking her opinion, but she said she thinks she would be very happy with another wife around."

I was silent for a moment and made a decision. "It's good you told me now. I'll need a few days to set up the medical deception. There's still enough time, but just barely."

Before I knew it, I was pressed into the bed by two lovely females who seemed to be trying to smother me with kisses. "Thank you Ilias!" both my wives whispered at once.

It was late, and we were all sleepy. Sheffie left a moment later, and then Abby cooed and fell asleep in my arms before my petting got too sexy. I've noticed this about Abby. Stress seems to make her sleepy, so very unusual. I petted her gently, enjoying her warmth and my love for her. I stayed awake for a long time, watching her breasts rise and fall with her slow, even breathing. Such a precious creature is Abby, trusting me to hold her in my arms as she sleeps. My mind wandered back to Qataban. Eventually I drifted off.

Chapter 30. Chanah

Time: May 2, 8238 10:07 AM

I didn't think it was possible to perform a nuptial ceremony in less than twenty minutes, but the Dakar Nikahaldi did mine in seven. The chief priest running the cathedral's morning Prayer service had dismissed the congregation a few minutes early, allowing me to reach the nuptial chamber at 10 AM sharp. And then the Nikahaldi performed his lightning magic.

As I walked to my bride's holding pen, I glanced at the time, 10:08 AM. No question, I had plenty of time to tell Chanah she was not an eternal virgin before her forced sleep cycle. I resolved at that moment to do it. It felt deceitful not to tell Shephatiah when I had the chance, and my lack of courage had caused Sheffie to run an elaborate deception when she woke up. Even Abby was so frightened by her memories that she tried to conceal them. I was determined not to put Chanah through that ordeal.

I entered the marriage pen and stood before my bride. Tall, I thought, about Abigail's height perhaps. I reached up and released the hood and veil.

"Oww, it's so bright in here!" the young woman exclaimed, squinting with her eyes. She tried to focus, and managed well enough to see my arm insignias identifying me as a CL-27. She let out a gasp and fell on her knees, holding out a hand sign that pleaded for forgiveness.

Damn! What an idiot I am! So soon after the eternity injections, the preparation drugs were still dilating her pupils, and the room was very brightly lit. "Here," I said, loosely draping the black hood over her head as she knelt. "Stand up. Take my hand. I'll lead you home. We'll dim the lights there."

Sightless Chanah held out her hand and together we made the short trip to my... no, to our quarters. She was very trusting, walking without hesitating were I led her, relying on me not to walk her into a wall or off a cliff. My mind flashed back to my one brief glimpse of her. Short hair, just off her shoulders. And freckles! Lot of freckles, especially on her scrunched-up nose as she squinted. Gosh, she's cute!

I led Chanah home, sealed the door and satisfied myself with the security display for a moment, and then led her to one of the comfortable reading chairs in the library. I set the lights very low and then sat nearby. "Okay. Try removing the hood now."

Chanah nodded and pulled off the hood. I could dimly see her very large pupils in the low light, and she sighed and relaxed.

"Comfortable?"

She looked surprised at my concern. "Yes, Glorious Mufeto. This lighting here is very comfortable for me."

I nodded and tried to look friendly. "Ah, I have your marriage book in a nearby bedroom. Chanah, when we're alone together, you have permanent permission to be completely informal with me. Just call me Ilias."

Chanah blinked with surprise. "Really?!" And then she grimaced. "Oh! Apologies! I didn't mean to doubt you Glorious... Oh! I mean Ilias!"

I made a hand gesture of dismissal. "Chanah, relax. I have so much to tell you, but you must also have so many questions. What would you like to know?"

"What would I like?" she whispered. Clearly this was not the wedding reception she had been expecting. She was silent for a moment, and then asked quietly, "Ilias, why were the lights so bright in my holding pen?"

"Uh, it wasn't the lights. One of the preparation drugs you got this morning dilates the eyes. Your pupils are monitored during the... during the medical phase of the marriage. When they reach a certain size, it's a confirmation that your brain is fully prepped and receptive. That's when the first eternity drug is administered."

Chanah grimaced for an instant, and then the grimace disappeared. In spite of the risks I was taking to save her, I still felt awash in shame, so embarrassed by my gender. I reached across and offered her my hand. She nodded at once and held it firmly.

"Thank you Ilias. And thank you for forgiving my outburst in the holding pen."

"Huh? Oh, that was no matter..." I looked at her and smiled, trying to offer friendship. She was quiet. I thought she must have a thousand questions, but was too shy to initiate a topic for conversation. I was asking her to behave way out of character. Perhaps I could get something started...

"I guess you just found out yesterday, about getting married I mean."

Chanah nodded vigorously. "Yes. My sabbatical was complete. I woke yesterday expecting to meet with an execution council at 11 AM. Instead I was hooded and led to Ur's train station. We caught the 5:50 to Halab, and then picked up the northern run at Tyre. My chaperone was kind enough to call out the stops for me." Chanah smiled. "The trip took just six hours, so amazing! We arrived before noon yesterday."

I nodded back at her and smiled, thinking of the ancient locations of the cities, Houston Texas to Wichita Kansas to Sioux City Iowa, and then west on the northern run to Provo Utah. It must have been... oh, 2800 kilometers I guessed. And Chanah had made the entire trip blindfolded so the sight of another man wouldn't defile her before she was safely sealed by the eternity drugs. I grimaced at the horror she endured, was still enduring....

"Chanah, there's so much I want to tell you, about why I choose you, about why I had to wait till the last moment to select you. I'm sorry... Chanah, what?"

Her jaw was agape. "Ilias," she whispered, "are you apologizing to me?!"

"Don't you feel angry about it?"

Her body quivered and she said in a stiff voice, "It's not my place to have such emotions, Glorious Mufeto... uh, Ilias. Sorry." She bowed her head to hide her fright.

Damn! My mind flashed back to my plane ride with Mudar, the day I married Abigail. Chanah thought I was trying to trap her into saying something disrespectful.

In a quiet whisper, she croaked, "Would you like to have sex with me now? There's still time to break me before my first cycle."

"Huh?"

Chanah looked up and saw honest confusion on my face. She looked confused back. "This is Dakar. I know the township's reputation. Dakar brides are broken before their first sleep." She blushed. "I'm well trained, and completely willing. That's why you selected me, isn't it? I hope I'll be able to please you." She began untying her burqa.

"Chanah, stop."

My bride looked up startled and then dismayed. "You don't find me attractive?"

"Oh, it's certainly not that. Chanah, you think I selected you for sex?"

She nodded. "Well of course. In my last years at the monastery, I was warned how stupid I was to study information theory, how the eternity drugs would wash away all the value of my studies. I foolishly ignored the warnings. My world came crashing down at Judgment, when I completed my training and was told no one bid for me."

She took a deep breath and shuddered. "My sabbatical time was my only hope. I continued attending the Prayer of Virginity services, even though I was already graduated. I thought if I were first in the class, I might attract a man's attention. I was near the top of the 0.4 grade. I was hoping for a manager, maybe even a commander."

She looked at me blushing, giving me a shy smile. "As April came to a close, I was in despair. Then two nights ago, I had a wild dream of marrying royalty." She took a deep breath. "Yesterday, I thought half the dream had come true. I was told I had been selected for marriage, but I was placed on a train for Dakar, not a plane for Bandar Arenas. Not even in my wildest dreams did I imagine marrying a Domine! Ilias, I'll try to be the very best wife I can for you. I am very well trained in pleasing a man."

Chanah yawned and looked startled, glancing at a clock. It was 10:37 AM. "That wasn't my sleep cycle! I'm just a little tired from all the excitement. We still have a half hour. Come! Let me show you how much I can please you." She returned to untying her burqa.

"Chanah, no..."

She took up fretfully, her fingers frozen on the cords, and her smile faded into a crying frown. And then she wailed, "Oh, please don't deflower me as I sleep! That will hurt my mind!"

"Chanah, let me explain! First off, relax! You'll sleep peacefully and undisturbed. I give you my word. But before you sleep, there is so much I want to tell you!" I dived into a brief description of my treasonous behavior and goals, including the blasphemous states of Abby's and Sheffie's undamaged minds.

Chanah would look wildly up and search for monitors as I spoke. I kept assuring her my personal quarters were completely private and unobserved. She finally settled down and listened to everything I said.

After I finished, she sat back in her chair and stared at me. There was no acceptance in her eyes at all.

I sighed. "You don't believe me, do you?"

Chanah was still for another moment before she finally shrugged and shook her head no. "I'm afraid I'm not very good at deception."

"Oh," I replied with a smile, "I'm very sorry to hear that."

For the first time since I met her, Chanah gave a genuine laugh. "Oh, very good Ilias! You are staying in character with the story. You would need me to be deceptive, wouldn't you, just as Abigail and Shephatiah need to be deceptive."

I nodded. "Not would need you, do need you! And Michal too. Her mind is damaged, but we take the time to tell her each day about what we're trying to do."

Chanah blinked and then shook her head in disbelief. "Ilias, forgive me for being blunt. It's an incurable defect in my character. That why I have so many demerits on my record. But would you like me to pretend to believe you? I'll try to be as convincing as I can. Would that please you?"

"My gosh, of course not!"

She looked at the time. "Well, 11 AM now. If what you say is true, I won't be getting sleepy. That might convince me."

"Uh, Chanah... I didn't explain that detail. The forced sleep cycle is set up by the preparation drugs. Can you sense a lemony taste in your mouth?"

Chanah paused for a moment to pucker her mouth. "Yes," she whispered.

I nodded. "You'll be getting sleepy very soon. Don't worry though. Abby and Sheffie had the same experience. Without the eternity drugs, the forced cycle of sleep will disappear completely within a week. This first cycle will be the only time when the sleep urge is overwhelming.

Chanah gave a deep sigh and nodded at me silently. It was clear she thought I was playing with her. "Ilias? I am starting to feel a bit sleepy. Would you lead me to a bed?"

I led her to a nearby bedroom. The lights weren't nearly as dim as the library, but Chanah seemed to have no trouble with them. As I stood nearby, she shed her footwear, burqa, and undergarments, and then turned and faced me naked before I could protest.

She spread her arms and displayed her body for me. "Do you really find me attractive?"

I stared at her loveliness. "Oh yes," I whispered hoarsely.

"Good! I do believe you Ilias, at least this part. I can see it in your eyes, your desire for me."

Chanah turned and climbed into bed, offering me a brief rear view of her shapely legs and butt before she covered herself with a sheet. She then turned and faced me, her head on a pillow. I sat down on a chair by the side of the bed. We looked into each other's eyes for a moment, until Chanah yawned deeply.

"Sleepy?" I asked inanely.

"Just a little, though that will probably soon change. Ilias?"

"Yes?"

"Please, please remember your promise. Please don't break me as I sleep. Please don't hurt my mind. I'll give myself to you very eagerly when I awake."

"I won't hurt you Chanah. Please trust me in return. Can't you see it in my eyes, my desire to care for you?"

She yawned again. "Your character puzzles me exceedingly."

I smiled. "Oh? How so?"

"You wear the rank of a Domine. And yet..." Another yawn. "You treat me as..." Chanah blinked at the words she almost spoke.

"An equal?" I ventured.

Chanah stared at me. "It should mean death for me to say that."

"I know. There is so much you'll have to learn Chanah. Abigail and Shephatiah will teach you about deception. They are excellent teachers." I came over and sat on the side of the bed. I reached up with my hand and looked at Chanah with a question in my eyes. Chanah nodded her head. I began stroking her hair.

"This is so strange Ilias. I can't see the reason for deceiving me, yet what you're telling me is beyond hope." She closed her eyes. "That feels so nice, to be petted... But remember... your promise..." Another yawn. Chanah struggled to open her eyes but failed.

"I'll remember Chanah. Rest now. We'll talk more when you awake. Want the blanket?"

"Um hmmm," she mumbled in agreement. It seemed she wanted to say more, but she gave several deep sighs and was then fast asleep. The room was pleasantly cool, just right for snuggling with a blanket (or a mate) and sleeping. I covered Chanah with the covers, dimmed the lights very low, and headed off to the library.

Chapter 30. The Hammer of Injustice

--- Excerpt from The Book of Bel'dar, Tower 1, Chapter 1, Verse 1

"Anyone who doubts the Code of Bel'dar, in any form, in any part, must be killed, for I am a jealous Holy, and will not tolerate disbelief. Be wary of the alien hidden amongst you, the one who claims belief in public but doubts in secret. This alien must be killed also, for there is no compulsion in the one true religion. Let the unbeliever be met with the righteous fire of the anger of true men, and let stones be gathered and prepared as their fuel. For belief must be freely given for it to be accepted. Let the believer know that the lack of doubt is the first of the eight great pillars of true faith."

I worked in the library for a couple of hours as Chanah slept. Budgets at Karbala used to be such a juggling act. There were so many worthwhile efforts in need of resources. I spent many, many hours each month with the Sheep Guild and the local Priesthood deciding on priorities...

Dakar was a polar opposite. The city was awash in wealth, and most budgetary decisions came down to deciding between unneeded cathedral and Guild-complex embellishments, versus increasing the city's vast endowments. I have some ideas about how to nudge the town into new perspectives, but I have to move slowly. You can't change cultures overnight.

Around 1:30 PM I got up from my library desk and stretched. I thought briefly of getting something to eat. The kitchen was amply stocked both with fine delicacies as well as simple, wholesome meals. But I just didn't feel hungry. I wandered down the aisles of my private library, idly glancing at all the historical literature Abigail had ordered.

She was so right! As the home for the Information Storage Guild, the bookbinders of Dakar do incredible work. I pulled out one of the illustrated works on fifth millennium art. The synthetic leather and heavy dura-plasti pages were beautiful, and with a minimal amount of care the art book would last thousands of years. I tucked the heavy book under my arm and headed off to a comfortable sitting area near Chanah's bedroom.

I stopped in my own bedroom first and took a quick shower, changing from my wedding robe into some loose house clothing. Then I went back out and settled into something Michal had picked out on the web, a beautiful reclining couch made of gleaming South American hardwoods and rich colorful fabrics. I rubbed my hand idly across the smooth patina as I read.

The first two chapters of Abby's book were interesting, more than I would have guessed. I reclined the couch further, just one notch above full horizontal, and lay my head back and rested. The silent rooms were superbly insulated from the city noises. "Such a beautiful life", I thought, "and now with four beautiful wives." I felt so blessed. I thought of Chanah again, how lovely she was, how different, and how beautiful and precious her courage was... My mind began to drift...

1...2122232425...46