The Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I left Sadie sleeping, and quietly left the room. She needed the sleep, and I needed to think. I cleaned and inspected, letting the helpers go once everything was to Sadie's standards. I locked up and sat in the dining hall, thinking. The rudiments of a plan developed, I knew the lawsuit wasn't the end. The timing was deliberate. They meant to kill the banquet and destroy the City Kitchen's funding. Things would get worse before they got better. I would need help, and, to get it, I had to come out of hiding.

I woke to a pounding sound. I had fallen asleep, my head pillowed in my arms on the table. I wiped the drool from my lips and went to open the door. An elderly gentleman, one I had seen eat often, was there. I remembered his name as the dream fog cleared.

"Sadie said to be here at 9:00," Ralph said, rather surprised I wasn't Sadie.

"Come in and let's get started." I opened the door wider and stepped aside. I was worried about Sadie. It wasn't like her to let anything slide. I got Ralph into the shower room and went to check on Sadie.

I found her back at the desk, staring at the lawsuit. There were black circles around her eyes. I was thankful there weren't any tears. She must have run out last night.

"Ralph is here," I said as business-like as I could. Sadie looked up to me with a forlorn look.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes," I responded. I had a litany of reasons to go on and knew they would fall on deaf ears. Short and simple was the only good response.

"They are destroying me." I saw defeat in Sadie's eyes.

"The banquet will be next." I said it firmly. I didn't want to sugar coat it. Sadie's eyes widened with fear.

"It will bankrupt the Kitchen," Sadie said. I sat down on the cot as I watched her face go ashen.

"I won't let that happen." There was determination in my voice, hopefully something Sadie could latch onto.

"I don't think we can stop these people," Sadie said, holding up the stack of papers. I gave her a confident smile. The smile held more confidence than I felt, but she needed more.

"No one's going hungry, Sadie. I need to speak to some old friends to see if we can't turn this around." I pulled the donor book out again and turned to the page with Amber's name and pointed at it. "She thought this place was worth funding. I promise you, her donation won't go to waste. Ever." Sadie's face firmed up.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Make sure you open at 4:00." I needed to handle this alone. "And don't lose heart. It's going to be a very long week. Let me take care of the rest." Sadie stood up and nodded her head.

"I'll make sure we stay open," Sadie said, "whatever happens, thank you for trying." She moved past me quickly. Her determination had returned, but not her confidence. I felt a little sorry for Ralph, he was bound to catch the brunt of her frustration. I sat down and made the first call.

"Herzog and Associates, this is Karen may I help you?" the receptionist greeted me. I knew Karen, but I really didn't want to explain myself.

"Doug Herzog, please," I said, trying to jump past the hurdle.

"Mr. Herzog is busy right now, would you like to leave a message?" It was bite the bullet time. I took a deep breath.

"Karen, it's David Thaxton. I really need to speak with Doug," I said it quickly, hoping she would just let me through without an interrogation. No such luck.

"David, oh my god, are you alright?" There was concern in her voice that exceeded the relationship we had had in the past. I guess notoriety does that to a person.

"I'm fine Karen. It's really important that I speak with Doug," The secret was out. I needed to move forward at a quick pace now.

"Alright, I'll see if I can't get him out of the meeting. Hold on a minute," Karen said, then added, "Amber was right, you sing wonderfully." I felt my throat knot a bit. I had forgotten she had known Amber. The two would talk during the company Christmas parties. I just sighed a 'thank you' and waited for Doug.

"Where the hell are you, David?" Doug asked when he came on the line, "The whole damn world is looking for you." I wanted to skip that part so I did.

"I have a problem Doug. I know I don't deserve your help, the way I quit and all." I knew he would help anyway, I just wanted him to know I knew I was a jerk, "It's just that you're the only one I could think to call."

"Your wife died, so skip the bull. What do you need." Doug had given me a pass. I had new respect for him.

"You know those pro bono hours your CPA requires? Do you think you can throw some to a friend of mine?"

"I'm listening," Doug responded. I told him everything. I did leave out some of my personal failures, like the bridge incident, but told him the rest. I told him about the City Kitchen and how its mission is to feed the homeless. I told him about Sadie and the IRS. I gave him the best guess as what was happening and ended with the class action lawsuit.

"Her books are clean?" Doug asked.

"Some of the best I have ever seen," I responded honestly. "Whoever is doing this, has strong connections. I promised Sadie I would do what I could to end this." Doug laughed.

"I would never stand between a promise and its keeper," Doug joked, "how many agents came the first time?"

"Three."

"I'll have six suits present and I need to see the books beforehand." Doug was all in. "Let me know when the banquet is and I'll make sure it's company policy."

"Thank you, Doug. You have no idea what this means to me," I said, trying to remain manly and not get all choked up. "I'll get you whatever you need. I know we're on the right side of this one." We ended the call with a lot of testosterone lingering across the line. Doug liked the idea of fighting the IRS, especially if he expects to win. To him, this was the accounting equivalent to a showdown at high noon.

"An auditor from my old firm will be here tomorrow," I said to Sadie who was cleaning some potatoes. She stopped scrubbing and looked up.

"You told someone you were here?" Sadie asked incredulously.

"It's war, honey, no holds barred." I blushed when I realized I had used a term of endearment. It just slipped out, as if I had been speaking with Amber. I moved quickly toward the door, hoping she wouldn't notice.

"Go get em, honey!" Sadie yelled. I heard her laughing, which sounded good. Ralph was giggling, which sounded bad.

I moved quickly now that my mind was made up. It took no time to walk the ten blocks to the sixth precinct. It was in an old three story brick building, probably a good fifty years old. It had a set of steep steps that I was sure wasn't to code anymore. I walked in and straight to the desk that was manned by a uniformed cop.

"I would like to see Detective Berkhard, please."

"Name, please," the cop asked, not looking up from the form he was filling out.

"David. He is expecting me." I answered. I really didn't want a scene at the front desk. The cop picked up the phone and dialed an extension. The brief interruption seemed to bother the man. Whatever he was working on was more important than my visit.

"I got a David out here for you." The cop looked up at me after a second, "David who?" I sighed.

"Thaxton," I whispered. The cop just smiled.

"Come on up, Tony. You definitely want to meet this man." The cop hung up the phone. "My wife thinks you're some kind of great romantic. I have you pegged as in idiot." His grin spread the room as he expressed his view.

"A bit of both, mostly the latter." I asked for this. I would have to deal with the results. The cop laughed and held out his hand. I shook it with a great deal of surprise. A short man sitting on the bench jumped up and headed to the desk.

"Who's this, Sergeant?" The man was wearing business casual with a long sleeve polo shirt. Nothing expensive, but not street duds.

"Leach,mind your own business," the sergeant responded sharply. He looked back at me and used his eyes to direct me down the hall. I was grateful for the fence he put up. This was going to be hard enough to weather.

I met Detective Berkhard about twenty feet down the hall. He wore a brown suit with a dull yellow shirt and a golden-shaded amoeba tie. His hair was cut military style with zero sideburns sitting on a six foot frame. He looked like the type of guy you want standing next to you in a dark alley.

"You David?"

"Yes." I held out my hand and the detective shook it. I saw his expression change as he saw past my beard.

"David Thaxton," he said, and shook my hand harder, "Tony Berkhard." I added my smile to his and nodded. He lead me to a small conference room and indicated I should take a seat.

"I understand you have my wallet," I said. It would sure save me a lot of time if I didn't need to replace the IDs and credit cards. It would also be a convenient way to end the speculation of my death.

"Yes we do." Tony was still smiling. "My wife thinks you are some kind of super husband." His expression changed quickly when he realized what he said. "I am sorry about your wife."

"Thank you," I said in my practiced, ignore the painful memory, tone. "I don't really deserve the myth that seems to have developed."

"Well, obviously you're not dead," Tony said, returning to a subdued cheerfulness, "can you tell me where you were or do I have to read it in the paper?" It didn't sound like an official request. I don't think I was obliged to tell him anything. He just had one of those trusting faces and a pleasant attitude that was difficult to deny. I spilled the beans for the second time that day. I wasn't sure if he could help with the attacks on Sadie and the City Kitchen, but I let him know that was why I finally decided to end the hiding.

"You haven't seen the paper?" Tony asked.

"Nope."

Tony pulled out the paper from the trash can next to his desk. He turned a few pages on the front section, folded it over and handed it to me. The title of the article was "City Kitchen Sued For Fraud." The speed at which these people were operating was phenomenal.

"Shit!" I said as I read. I especially liked the part where they claimed that Sadie Millstead had no comment. "They are moving faster than I thought. This is going to kill the banquet."

"You could fill ten banquets if you just let people know you will be there," Tony claimed, "my wife would demand tickets. I could get half the force to show up." I smiled at the thought. Maybe my five minutes of fame would be worth one banquet.

"I don't have much time. These guys are a few steps ahead of me," I said. I could call the press, but I didn't know anyone I could trust. The story could spiral out of my control and become about me.

"I think I can help you with that." Tony picked up the phone and dialed. "Rick, Leach out there? Okay, send him to my office." He hung up. "Leach is our resident freelance journalist. He follows us out to crime scenes and sells the stories to the paper. I think you two can use each other." He smiled conspiratorially. Leach walked in.

"David, this is Bob Townsend. We affectionately call him Leach." I rose and shook the hand of the confused-looking man.

"What's this about, Tony?" Leach asked.

"A story for a story, Leach," Tony, said indicating an empty seat to Bob, "David needs some press and in exchange you get an exclusive." Realization washed across Bob's face.

"David Thaxton?" Bob asked, looking at me. I nodded. He smiled from ear to ear. "Deal!"

For the third time that day, I explained what had happened. Leach was taking copious notes as I spoke, and asking questions to clarify what I said. Tony seemed proud of himself for putting us together. He excused himself to get my wallet.

"So you want me to let everyone know you will be at the banquet. That's it?" Leach asked.

"Yep and I would prefer they don't know where to find me prior to the banquet," I responded.

"You'll talk to no other reporters?" Leach was bursting at the seams. Tony returned with a plastic bag containing my wallet and some kind of form.

"No one but you," I agreed, "at least until you get a chance to print the story." Bob smiled and rubbed his hands together.

"After all this time, why are you coming out now?" Bob asked. I thought I just explained it all to him.

"I just told you, to help Sadie and the City Kitchen," I said, obviously frustrated.

"You don't owe them anything, why would you risk it?" Bob was pushing me. I had no idea why, but I was edging on angry.

"Look, I promised her I would help. So I'm helping." This time I made it sound final. Bob's pen went into hyperdrive.

"You just can't make this stuff up," Bob said absently, "another promise." Tony laughed and I sighed. Bob was going to blow it out of proportion. The banquet needed it so I let it go. "Is it okay for me to bring a cameraman to the banquet?"

"I thought you were newspaper," I replied.

"Freelance. With this story I'll be a media superstar." Bob celebrated with his hands in the air.

"Okay, but keep it low-key. I don't want this to be circus." Bob laughed at my remark.

"Too late for that. I'll just try to make sure you don't look too clownish." Bob was cleaning up his notebook as he spoke. "I'll need another interview the day after the banquet. It shouldn't take more than thirty minutes or so." I nodded my head. "I have to get this out if I am going to make the paper tomorrow. I won't leak your location, but some will guess it. I would stay hidden if I were you." He shook my hand and scurried off.

"You've been 'Leached,'" Tony said sarcastically. He pushed over a form for me to sign. It allowed me to get my wallet back. "You know it's going to be a madhouse, right?"

"If that's what it takes, so be it." I signed my name and retrieved my wallet. "I have to break into my condo, think I will get arrested?"

"Come on, I'll drive you." Tony laughed as he grabbed his jacket.

It was strange being back in my home. It was comforting and alien at the same time. Everything reminded me of Amber, not as strongly as before, but just as depressing. It was hardest in the closet, where her clothes collided into mine. My section kept getting smaller over the years. Fond memories of joking with her about being a pack rat burned through my thoughts. I couldn't live here anymore. Even if I would pack away everything of hers, the walls would still bleed her passing. It was just too much love to lose.

My pants were too big in the waist and I had to drop two notches on my belt. I had lost a lot of weight since I jumped off that bridge. I looked in the mirror and couldn't tell whether it was a good loss or an unhealthy one. I wondered if my beard hid an emaciated visage or a strong jaw. I wouldn't shave it today, I would save that for the banquet. I packed some toiletries and filled a suitcase with more clothes. I was done living like a beggar.

I put together a new set of keys from my spares and grabbed my warm jacket out of the closet. It was sitting next to Amber's parka. A person could survive the North Pole in that parka. Amber hated the cold, and loved how the parka would shield her against it. I always thought it was overkill. I grabbed it and brought it with me. No need to let it rot on a hanger. It was time to start letting the past go.

Tony drove me to my car. It stood, lonely, in the vast parking lot next to the venue I had sung in so long ago. It argued with me, trying not to start, but eventually kicked into a nice idle. I thanked Tony for all his help. He thanked me for promising to make an appearance at the annual Guns and Hoses boxing match next month. I couldn't say no after all he had done. I wasn't sure what I could offer a bunch of police officers and firefighters, but I agreed. I returned to the City Kitchen, this time with a car and a full wallet. I felt more normal, although I wasn't confident it was a good thing.

Dinner was in full swing when I arrived. I left my bags in the car, but brought in the parka. Sadie did not look good. I could see the strain in her eyes, and knew it had been a difficult day. She was stoic at the head of the line, but I knew she just wanted to collapse and let it all go. I smiled at her as I entered and got a bit of a surprised look at my slight transformation.

"The caterer for the banquet canceled," Sadie said quietly when I moved next to her. "There was an article in the paper and they didn't want to be part of it."

"I think they will reconsider tomorrow," I said confidently. I would have to move heaven and earth if they didn't, but I didn't want Sadie to know that. She needed my confidence. I needed her confident.

"What did you do?" Sadie asked, looking at me, confused.

"Everything I could," I responded, "where's Maggie?" Sadie pointed to the end table in the back. Maggie was eating with Houser. "I'll be right back." I walked over to the two of them.

"See if this fits you, Maggie," I said, holding up the parka. Maggie's eyes went wide as she stood up and removed her old jacket. I held the parka up like a gentleman and let her step into it. It fit her wonderfully.

"I ain't never had anything this nice." Maggie said, as she ran her hands along the fake fur lining.

"You do now." Amber would be pleased. She would have loved to know the parka was keeping someone warm. "Payment for the boots," I added, nodding over to Houser. He gave me one of his ugly toothy smiles.

"I owe you, Frank," Maggie said, "I owe you a lot."

"You owe me nothing and my real name is David." I was done hiding. "I had something I didn't need and you needed it. Simple as that." Maggie surprised me with a hug. It wasn't the first time I was hugged by that parka. I fought the tears and hugged her back. At least Maggie would be warm this winter.

I walked back to Sadie, clearing my eyes with the back of my hand. That was a little harder than I had expected.

"That was nice of you," Sadie said as I approached.

"It was Amber's," I said nodding back at Maggie and the parka. I saw concern form on Sadie's face.

"You went home?"

"Yes, I can't stay there, though."

"You're welcome to stay here," Sadie said, "as Frank or David."

"It's David and I would like to stay for now," I said honestly.

"I'm glad," Sadie said and quickly went to deal with an issue on the serving line. I watched her skirt swirl with her hips as she moved and realized I was glad also.

It was at the tail end of cleanup when a well-dressed lady entered. She was wearing a tailored dark gray business suit with a silk blouse. She was carrying an expensive black briefcase case as if it was part of her. Her black hair was pulled back severely and secured tightly with a tiny black bow. She walked like she owned the place. I disliked her immediately.

"Sadie Millstead?" the woman asked, holding her hand out to Sadie. Sadie nodded and shook her hand. "I'm Barbara Cane, a lawyer at Helick, Cane and Walters. I wonder if we could talk for a moment." Sadie led her to one of the dining tables. I hovered, re-cleaning part of the floor in the dining room.

"I represent a party who is interested in resolving the predicament you find yourself in." Barbara held a half grin while she talked. I suspected it was always there, but I found it rude.

"What predicament would that be?" Sadie asked, acting so innocent I almost believed her.

"I am speaking of the charges that have been leveled against you and the City Kitchen. I assume you have seen the paper." Barbara didn't let Sadie's act fool her. It seemed to be a game she liked to play.

"I don't concern myself with the idle chatter in the paper," Sadie said, waving her hand in dismissal. "My accountants assure me I have been more than forthright and all the issues will disappear in time." Barbara lost her grin. I don't think she was expecting Sadie's strength. In truth, I didn't expect it either.

1...456789