The Reluctant Duchess Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After the ceremony, the guests headed to the reception, at the Hotel Karl Wilhelm's ornate ballroom. Johanna had declined Sophie's offer to have the reception at the palace, noting that it was, after all, her workplace, so Sophie offered to pay for the reception hall as a gift to the couple.

The room was beautifully decorated, its old world charm, carved wood and oil paintings set off by the masses of flowers that tastefully filled the room. When Sophie and Mark arrived with the rest of the wedding party, the DJ was playing upbeat dance music from the 60s and 70s, and some of the older guests were dancing. It was a happy room, and after Mark got Sophie a drink, and they ate some of the delicious hors d'oeuvres—all of the food being provided by Albert's chef friends—they joined the crowd on the dance floor.

Despite some initial awkwardness, considering their strained relationship, Mark had rarely seen Sophie as happy and animated, and they danced, working up a sweat, before tiring and returning to their assigned seats at the head table. Sophie pointed to Johanna, shoes off, dancing wildly with Albert, an enormous smile on her face.

"Look at her, she's so happy," Sophie yelled over the pounding music.

"She is. And why shouldn't she be?" Mark yelled back.

Finishing her drink, Sophie responded, "Of course she is. Albert's a great guy, and they're in love." Sophie motioned to a waiter, who came over and took her order for a refill. Mark, who was nursing his drink, expecting Sophie to overdo it, shook his head at the waiter's suggestion that he bring another drink. Although he wasn't expecting to end the evening in her bed, Mark was still concerned about her, and also about the potential that she might do something embarrassing when drunk, and without Johanna to watch her, Mark decided to assume the role.

Johanna's sister Julia sat down next to Sophie, and the two women chattered in German, which Mark couldn't hear, anyway. They hugged, and Julia left, pulled away by her husband Alex, to dance.

Turning to Mark, Sophie explained that Alex was so excited to have a night away from the baby, that all he wanted to do was dance and drink, until it was an appropriate time for them to go to the hotel room they had reserved for some much needed alone time. Sophie's drink arrived, and she drank a few big sips before standing and pulling Mark to his feet to return to the dance floor.

"Isn't this fun?" she yelled, and Mark nodded his head in agreement.

A couple of hours later, after speeches, and food, and more drinks, and more dancing, Sophie's excitement had dulled. Once the waiter had realized he was serving his Grand Duchess, he made sure to keep her glass full. Mark thought he noticed some sadness in Sophie's eyes. She was trying to put on a good front, he thought, and attributed her change in attitude to the number of drinks she had consumed and the fact that she was at the wedding with someone that she liked, but not enough to commit to, in contrast to Johanna's clear love for her new husband.

By the time that the wedding cake arrived, and the excited couple did the "smash cake into each other's face" routine, Sophie stood watching, somewhat sullenly. With the rest of the bridesmaids and matron of honor, she accompanied Johanna to the ladies room to help her clean up. After removing the cake and icing from Johanna's face, as best as they could considering that all of them had liberally used the open bar, and while they were all touching up their makeup, Johanna, who had become strongly attuned to Sophie's moods, asked her, "Sophie, what's the matter?"

"Nothing, Jo," Sophie said, her speech slowed by her drinking.

"You know that's not true. Tell me."

"No, Jo. This is your special day, and you don't need to hear my bullshit."

Jo turned and held Sophie by her shoulders, and looked her in the eyes. "Sophie, you know me well enough to know that I'll be worrying about you if you don't tell me.

The other women had left the ladies room by that time, leaving only Sophie and Johanna in the ornate chamber. Sophie thought for a few seconds before starting. "Jo, I'm so happy for you. And Albert. He's great. You're great. And you're going to be so happy together. I know it." She paused before continuing. "But I know this is going to sound selfish, but what about me? I mean your sister is happily married, Zoe seems happy with her boyfriend, Maria and Frederic are head over heels for each other." She started sobbing. "Even my annoying mother and pain in the ass brother found people. But not me."

Johanna looked at her sobbing friend. Reaching for a tissue from the vanity counter and giving it to her to wipe her tears, she said, "But Sophie, what about Mark? You two were together for a while, you said the sex is great, you were miserable when you were apart, but you seem happy with him today. What about him?"

"I know, Jo, I know," Sophie replied, nearly in tears. "But look at me. Not too long ago, I was free to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, with whoever I wanted. I gave all that up."

"To assume your family's responsibility."

"Yes, but not willingly. And I'm afraid that if I commit to Mark, that'll be it. My life will be set, predictable. Boring."

Jo looked at Sophie for a few seconds before replying. "Sophie, first off, no life is set. I mean, you thought yours was, until it wasn't. Who knows what path your life will take from now on.

"How did you know that Albert was the one? I remember when you and I were younger, you were as wild as I was, but now you seem totally committed to one man."

Jo's eyes brightened. "I've known Albert since we were kids, but just as friends. It turns out he always had a crush on me, but was too shy. Yeah, I had my crazy years, but as fun as it was, I knew that it wouldn't last. When I came home after my first year away at school, Albert and I went out. I thought as friends. We drank and talked, and he told me how he felt about me. I could feel his passion, and we were drunk, and went to bed. And I had never felt that way with a man before. The next morning, I think I had fallen in love with him and I've never wanted to be with another man again. Albert has never gone a day without doing something to show his love for me. I've tried to do the same, although I've missed a day or two—you see, I have this really demanding boss—"

"Very funny, Jo," Sophie tried to say sternly, but laughed instead.

"Look, Sophie, I can't tell you what to do or how to feel. But don't make up rules for yourself—God knows you have enough rules that other people make to worry about. If you think you love Mark, then tell him. See if it works. If it does, great, and you have a partner and lover for life. If not, at least you know you gave it your best shot. Not every couple that says 'I love you' ends up married forever. Not every committed, exclusive relationship works, but you'll never know unless you try. Mark's a good guy. He loves you, and I think he makes you happy. I even think your mother likes him a little. And selfishly, Sophie, when you were together, you seemed more able to focus on your work."

Sophie dried her tears with the back of her hand and nodded at Jo. "You're right. I hope that he'll still have me."

"I think he will, Sophie. If he wasn't still interested, he would have told you to fuck off, and not come with you tonight."

"I hope that you're right, Jo. Although you usually are. And I'm sorry about how I've behaved to you since New Year's."

"No, Sophie, I'm sorry. I should have invited you. I was wrong."

Sophie smiled through her tears. "Yes, that's right. You were wrong. The Grand Duchess is never wrong." She laughed.

The new bride laughed too. "Sure, Sophie. If you say so. Anyway, I'm going out to enjoy my wedding. Fix your makeup, get out there, and do the right thing."

After splashing some water on her face to try to feel sobered up, Sophie looked at herself in the mirror, trying to see what Mark saw in her, beyond her superficially attractive features. She knew that she could be selfish and immature, but she believed that she was getting better, both personally and in her work. Maybe, she thought, she could do this, both the job and the relationship. And she worried that maybe it was only the drink that was giving her confidence.

She followed Jo's advice, cleaned up, fixed her makeup and returned to the party. She saw the bride and groom dancing wildly, happily, on the dance floor surrounded by friends and family. It took Sophie a few moments to find Mark, sitting alone at the table, his tie loosened, nursing a drink. He's a good looking guy, she thought to herself. And I think he somehow really loves me, despite my bullshit, she thought. Closing her eyes to drown out the party, she tried to imagine herself with Mark, and only Mark, for the rest of

her life. And for the first time that she could remember, the idea of settling down didn't terrify her. In fact, it made her feel warm and comforted. She knew what she had to do.

Trying to ignore the fact that she was still fairly drunk, Sophie took a deep breath and walked as confidently as she could toward Mark. She noticed a small smile flash across his face as she approached, which he tried to hide by taking a sip from his drink. "Mark, can we go someplace and talk?"

"Now?"

"Please. It's important." Sophie reached out her hand, and Mark took it, standing at the same time.

"Oh, if it's important, then, OK," he said, smiling.

Sophie recognized Mark's gentle teasing, and she realized that she had missed that. Not only the humor, but the fact that unlike most people that she encountered, Mark wasn't afraid to treat her like any other woman.

Holding hands, they made their way to the front of the ballroom, into a hallway, to the beautiful lobby of the hotel. Some guests, and all of the staff, recognizing Sophie, bowed slightly as they passed through, crossing the room toward what Sophie knew was a small sitting room that was rarely open to the public. She had been there with her family in the past, when they had attended events at the hotel to give the royal family privacy, and expected that no one would be there. Opening the door, she realized that she was correct, and pulled Mark down onto an antique sofa, just large enough for the two of them.

Turning to face Mark, who had an indecipherable grin on his face, Sophie took a deep breath before starting to talk.

"I've treated you poorly, Mark, and you've only been wonderful to me. I'm sorry."

The smile left Mark's face as he heard the apology he never expected to hear, replaced by a look of surprise. He started to speak, but Sophie put up her hand. "Please, let me finish." Mark nodded and she continued. "You've deserved better, and it's all my fault. I'm afraid. Everything has happened so fast. One day, I'm living, free and easy in New York, the next day, most of my family is dead and I have to do something that I never wanted and never prepared for. And all the time, you've been there for me when I needed you. You've supported me when I needed support, called me out when I needed that, made love to me when I needed that. And you've loved me even when I didn't deserve your love. You only asked for one thing in return—my loyalty and love, and I spit in your face. When I should have given you what you wanted—because it's what I want, deep in my heart." She paused, as if running out of steam.

Mark was stunned by this profession of love. "You know I love you, Sophie. Are you saying what I think you are saying?"

She nodded. "Yes. I want to give this thing we have a real chance. Just you and me. And we see where it goes." She paused and looked at Mark intently. "OK?"

"OK," Mark replied, and leaned forward to kiss Sophie, feeling the same electricity he had missed since the last time they had been intimate.

"Take me to the palace and make love to me, Mark. Please," Sophie whispered when their lips finally parted.

"No."

Sophie sat up straight and looked as if she had been slapped. "No? What the fuck?"

Mark looked at her. "Sophie, I desperately want to believe every word that you said. Desperately. And I would love nothing more than to go back to the palace with you and make love all night. I've missed you."

"So, let's go, then."

Shaking his head, Mark responded, softly, "But I've seen how much you have drunk tonight, and beyond that, weddings do strange things to people's minds. After the party, go home tonight, and when you wake up, in the cold light of morning—or more likely, afternoon—" Sophie chuckled how well Mark knew her—"if you still feel the same way, call me, and I'll be there right away."

Sophie was disappointed, but realized that Mark had been hurt by her, and was protecting himself. She nodded. "OK. I understand, but be ready, because I'm not changing my mind. Can I kiss you again?"

Without answering, Mark leaned forward, and they shared a passionate kiss. When it was over, they stood up.

"Mark, I need to ask you one more question, before we go back to the party, OK?"

Rather than give Sophie permission to ask the question, Mark simply replied, "Annalise and I never—"

Sophie's smile nearly blinded Mark, and Sophie again realized that, somehow, despite her attempt to hold back, Mark seemed to really know her. Holding hands, they returned to the wedding reception, which was still going strong. Mark got himself a drink, and Sophie satisfied herself with a glass of water. She didn't need any more alcohol to raise her spirits.

*

No matter how many times he came to the palace, Mark found something new and fascinating. Waiting in the drawing room for Sophie while she performed one of her least favorite duties, Sunday morning Mass, made, he expected, doubly painful by the hangover that she undoubtedly was nursing and the fact that she had been in church only the day before, Mark studied a painting of a bowl of fruit, much of it apparently rotting. But he didn't let the painting's clear message of death, decay and the impermanence of life dampen his happiness. Sophie's call that morning, before she dressed for church, reaffirmed what her drunk self said at the wedding, and Mark couldn't wait to see her again. That they would probably spend most of the rest of the day in bed was also an attraction.

Sitting in the car on the way back from the cathedral, Sophie was impatiently drumming her fingers on her lap, and swigging ice cold water from bottles that Elise, Jo's temporary replacement, kept handing her. Elise, a Kippenburgher who had been recently hired to assist Johanna, had come highly recommended from her last position as the assistant to the head of a multi-national company headquartered in Zurich, and seemed competent during the days leading up to the wedding. Sophie missed having Jo around, especially considering the developments with Mark, but she was probably already on the private Greek island that Sophie had arranged for them, and if she knew Jo, they were already going at it. Thinking about Jo and Albert on their honeymoon reminded Sophie that Mark was waiting for her at the palace, and she began daydreaming about what she was going to do to him—and he to her—when she got him alone.

"Stop that, Sophie," Charlotte Marie demanded.

Sophie had almost forgotten that her mother was in the car. "Sorry, Mother."

"Why are you so anxious?"

"It's nothing."

"No, it's something. Tell me."

Sophie took a deep breath. If she was going to be committed to Mark, her mother would find out, soon enough, if she didn't somehow already know. "You know that Mark and I haven't been seeing each other lately, other than the wedding, right?"

"Yes, I noticed."

Sophie couldn't read her mother's expression. "Well, we've patched things up, we're not going to see anyone else, and he's waiting for me back at the palace."

Charlotte Marie was conflicted. She liked Mark, personally, and he seemed to have the ability to make Sophie stay calm and stable. But he wasn't an appropriate match for a Grand Duchess. "That's nice, Sophie. I'm happy for you," she replied, thinking to herself that maybe the stability that Mark caused could mature Sophie to the point that she would accept an appropriate consort. And, Charlotte Marie thought, there was no need to antagonize her daughter then, when she seemed happy for the first time in a while. Like Jo, her life was much easier when Sophie wasn't constantly acting hostile.

"Thanks, Mother." She turned to Elise, "How much longer?"

The young woman looked at her phone. "Five minutes, Grand Duchess."

"Thank you." Elise was under strict instructions to use Sophie's title only when her mother or other government officials were around.

Finally, the car pulled in front of the palace, and when Werner opened the car door, Sophie was out like a shot, heading for the door, Elise trailing in her wake.

Blowing through the door with a perfunctory thank you to the doorman, Sophie went running to the sitting room, where she had instructed Mark to wait for her. She threw open the heavy wooden door and burst into the room, as Mark stood up, opening his arms in greeting. They kissed, and Sophie grabbed Mark's hand, pulling him toward the door. "Let's go," she growled, and Mark followed her lead.

Entering the hallway, Mark barely had time to acknowledge Charlotte Marie and Elise, before following Sophie up the stairs. When they entered Sophie's chambers, they were desperately tearing off each other's' clothing. Even before they reached the bed, and with the light still on, Sophie dropped to her knees and took in as much of Mark's erect cock as her small mouth could hold, and treated him to an extraordinary blow job that quickly brought him to orgasm before he could even warn her. Nevertheless, Sophie clamped down and swallowed every drop before licking him clean and smiling.

Mark was panting and weak-kneed, but wanted to reciprocate. He led Sophie to the bed, where he commenced to explore, with his hands, lips and tongue, every inch of her skin. She was writhing on the bed, breathing hard, before Mark even approached her pussy, and when he kissed her there, and flicked her clit with his tongue, she began to moan. This only inspired Mark to use his tongue to bring Sophie to an intense, bucking and screaming orgasm. It had been way too long for both of them. While Sophie was catching her breath, Mark moved up the bed and pulled her close, enjoying the feel of her skin against his, and feeling her breathing begin to return to normal.

At which point, Sophie reached down, and began to stroke Mark's flaccid member until it was again rigid before spreading her legs. Mark rolled on top of her and looked into her happy blue eyes. She wrapped her legs around him, and with her hand, guided Mark's cock into her dripping pussy. It was tight and Mark thrust forward causing Sophie to gasp, before settling into a slow rhythm that she matched, and when Sophie came again, he shot another load deep inside her. Exhausted, both from the sex and the intensity of their emotions, they fell asleep entwined, despite the fact that it was just the afternoon, since neither of them had slept well the previous night.

Sophie awoke later to find that it was late afternoon. Mark was sleeping next to her, face down, with the blanket covering his legs and butt. In the light filtering through the curtains, she was able to look at him sleeping. His back, while not excessively muscled, was nicely shaped and strong, and covered with a small amount of fine hair. His sleeping face looked peaceful and happy, and while a certain part of her wanted to wake him up to continue their lovemaking, she decided to let him sleep, comfortable that she would not lack for opportunities. As she lay in bed, Sophie realized that of the many men that she had slept with since losing her virginity, Mark was not only the one she had been with the longest, he was the only one that she hadn't tired of quickly.