The Reluctant Duchess Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The second mistake I made was not realizing how agreeing to that trip would damage my relationship with Mark Hausman, who many of you have gotten to know. Mark has been a great friend and support to me during this difficult period, even moving from the United States to spend time with me. I failed to recognize my strong feelings for Mark, and ignored his clear feelings for me." She looked over at Mark, who was smiling, despite not knowing exactly what Sophie was saying.

"The third mistake was putting myself in a position to be taken advantage of by my supposed friend, Janine Weidner. Janine, it turns out, was an agent of the German government, and worked with other agents to drug me and rape me, which is what you saw in that unfortunate video.

That's right—to be clear, I was set up, drugged and raped, and it was organized by elements of the German government.

Ms. Weidner has confessed, and provided us with the information necessary to apprehend and arrest the two men who actually raped me. She is currently in Klippenberg Prison, as are the two men, whose names will never pass my lips. The German government has issued a private, formal apology, and the officials involved have been fired from their jobs and are being prosecuted in Germany. We've also obtained a significant series of trade concessions from Germany, which is rightfully embarrassed by the whole affair. I want to thank all of the members of my government who helped resolve this matter, and especially to the good work of our national police.

I'm not perfect—none of us is—but as your Grand Duchess, I'm held to a higher standard of behavior, and I did not meet that standard, despite the fact that I was victimized. And yes, I'm seeing a therapist to deal with that. But I swear on the memories of my father and brothers that going forward, nothing like this will ever happen again, and that I will do everything in my power not only never to embarrass this country or its people or disgrace my illustrious family, but to make you all proud." She paused and took another drink of water from the glass on the desk and thought she could hear the faint sound of cheering from outside the palace.

"Also, I have another announcement. Some of you may know that my university degree is in art history. You may also know that the palace is filled with art, but to be honest, most of it is nothing special—portraits of my ancestors or landscapes painted by talented but unremarkable artists. There are, however, a few masterpieces or near-masterpieces, including two canvasses by our own Manfred Fink. It seems unfair that they are hidden away in the palace when they should be seen by Klippenburghers and tourists alike. Therefore, I am endowing the creation of our country's first art museum, which will be located in the Old Customs House. It will be called the Three Dukes Museum, to honor my father and two brothers. The best of the ducal art collection, paintings, furniture and other objects, will be displayed there, and the new board and curators will be provided with the funds to purchase additional works of art. There will also be a separate section devoted to the best local art and crafts. My goal is to create a museum that reflects our country—small, but filled with beauty and excellence. One that will attract not only Klippenburghers, but tourists who will come for the museum and learn about our wonderful homeland.

I don't expect that those of you who have lost confidence in me will magically change your minds, but I hope to earn back that confidence. Thank you, and God Save Klippenberg."

The red light went out, and Sophie collapsed, her head resting on the ornate desk.

Mark rushed over to her, and began to gently rub Sophie's neck. "You did great, Sophie. I'm proud of you." He bent down and kissed the back of her neck.

"Thanks, Mark, but you didn't understand a single word of the speech, did you?"

"Other than my name, no, but your delivery was amazing, and I've read the English translation."

Sophie turned and kissed him briefly on the lips, before taking the heavy crown off of her head and handing it to the attendant who rushed over to collect it.

The crew began to dismantle the camera and other equipment. Johanna, who had been standing quietly while Mark attended to Sophie, approached the desk from the front.

"What now, Sophie?"

She raised her head. "Are people still demonstrating outside?"

"I think so," Jo responded.

"I want to go out and see them."

"Are you sure?" Mark asked. "It could be unpleasant."

"Mark, if after that speech, it is still unpleasant, then I've failed. But if I go out there, and I get a fair reception, I'll know that I've turned the corner."

Johanna was already on the phone to security. "Sophie, there are still protestors, but they are quiet now. Just standing there. You should go."

Mark assisted Sophie to her feet. As she started walking toward the door, she took Mark's arm. "I need you with me for this, OK?"

"Anything you need. You know I'm there for you."

*

They exited the palace with Sophie holding Mark's arm and Johanna trailing. A small phalanx of security guards stood at a respectful, but safe distance, ready to deal with any threats. As the crowd noticed what was happening, a murmuring began, followed by applause. Someone started a chant, "Sophie, Sophie, Sophie," and it swept through the crowd. Drawing strength from the approval of her people, Sophie let go of Mark's arm and approached the black iron fence. Mark followed behind, ready to take Sophie's arm again, or to do whatever else she needed.

Members of the crowd began to stick their hands through the bars of the fence, and Sophie approached, shaking hands like an American politician, as the chanting continued. Cell phone flashes went off as people tried to get a memento of the event for their social media feed.

As the chanting began to peter out, a loud voice yelled out, "Tell us what your disguise is."

When laughter died down, Sophie responded, "If I did that, it wouldn't be much of a disguise, would it?" The crowd laughed again.

As she continued down the gate, shaking hands and posing for selfies, another voice boomed out, "I love you Sophie," and there was widespread laughter.

Sophie grabbed Mark and pulled him closer to her. "Sorry, you're too late," she yelled back, which caused more laughter. Sophie translated the exchange for Mark, and while he was chuckling, the crowd started chanting his name.

Mark put up his hands to stop the crowd, and the chanting ended. Another voice yelled out, and the crowd laughed harder.

"What did he say?" Mark asked Sophie.

"They want us to kiss," she said, and pulled him close for a passionate one. The crowd roared, and chanted their names.

When Sophie and Mark parted, they waved at the crowd and headed back to the palace, with Jo and the security guards trailing behind. The crowd was still chanting their names when they entered the building and the heavy doors closed behind them.

"They love you again, Sophie," Mark stated.

"They love you both," Johanna observed.

"I love you, Mark," Sophie stated.

For Mark, his world changed, and all he could hear was the sound of his breathing. "I love you, too, Sophie." They kissed passionately.

"Get a room, will you?" Johanna joked.

"We've already got one," Sophie responded, taking Mark's hand and leading him away.

*

A couple of weeks passed, and Sophie's popularity in the country soared. Her public appearances were mobbed, and it became common for the attendees to chant her name, and Mark's, if he was also there. In fact, at one solo appearance at a charity function, someone started chanting "Where is Mark?" and the crowd wouldn't stop until Sophie explained that he was at work at the Fund.

It had been a warm day, but the evening was cool, as Mark left work a little early and headed toward the modern building that housed the government offices, built when they outgrew their traditional spaces in the palace. He enjoyed the refreshing air as he walked through the streets, and was still getting used to having strangers wave at him as he passed. After attempting to show his ID at the desk, the security guard laughed and waved him through, softly chanting "Mark, Mark, Mark." Taking the elevator to the third floor, he consulted the directory and found the office of Clara Eltsmann, the Director of Protocol. He entered the office, and the receptionist gave him a big smile before calling back to announce his arrival.

Eltsmann, a slim, attractive woman in her late 60s with stylishly cut, short gray hair, introduced herself and shook his hand before leading him to her comfortable private office.

"What can I do for you, Mark. You were quite mysterious in your request to meet."

"Yes, Clara. I need this meeting to be totally off the record. Please ask your receptionist not to mention it, please."

"Certainly. So, why the secrecy?"

Mark paused, although he had rehearsed what he was going to say. "The Grand Duchess and I have been together for a while, and I'm beginning to consider trying to take our relationship to the next level—"

"Marriage?" Eltsmann asked, with a twinkle in her eye.

"I'd like that, although I'm not sure that Soph—the Grand Duchess—is there yet."

"Mark, I've known Sophie since she was born. And you know she wouldn't expect you to stand on ceremony."

"Understood. But I'm beginning to think about it, and I was wondering if you could give me a sense of what I'd be getting myself into."

Eltsmann grinned. "I don't think anyone can tell a man what he's getting into when he wants to marry a woman—especially a woman like Sophie." She chuckled at her own joke, and Mark did the same, a little uncomfortably. She continued, "But I can tell you what the laws and our traditions say about it, if that's helpful."

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for."

Eltsmann typed on her keyboard, and started to read to herself.

"You have notes on this?" Mark asked, in a surprised tone.

"Of course we do. We've compiled all of the historical and legal information that we have on royal marriages, going back as far as we could. And as we saw you and Sophie getting closer, we've updated it, and researched what, if anything would be different in your case, since the last Grand Duchess ruled in the 18th Century."

"Sophie's namesake, right?" Mark ventured.

"Right. You've done your homework."

Mark shrugged. "If I'm going to marry the Grand Duchess, I figure I should know something about her country."

Eltsmann continued, glancing at her screen. "First of all, you know that under the current law, you must be from a noble line. Can you satisfy that requirement?"

Smiling, Mark handed Clara a copy of the genealogist's certification, and watched Eltsmann's eyes widened.

"So, not only of noble lineage, but a distant cousin of your intended wife. I have to say that I'm surprised."

"I was, too, but I think Charlotte Marie was the most surprised of all."

"I'll bet she was, but she was also probably relieved."

"I think so. So, what else, Clara?"

"In theory, she has to ask you. That's not a law, but since almost every ruler has been a man, it has been the tradition. Although I doubt that if you asked and she agreed, that it would be an impediment."

"Good, because if you know Sophie, making commitments isn't her best quality."

Nodding, Eltsmann continued, "You'd need to become a Klippenberg citizen, which is no problem, since Sophie can grant you that at any time. Although we have a pretty rigorous procedure for citizenship, she can override that at her discretion. You can retain your American passport, too, if you'd like."

"OK, that's fine," Mark said.

"Are you a Catholic?" Eltsmann asked.

"No. Non-practicing Protestant."

"You'd have to convert. Believe it or not, we still have a law that requires that the spouse of the Grand Duke or Duchess be Catholic, even though in all other ways, we have freedom of religion."

"That's fine, Clara. I can be a non-practicing Catholic as easily as a non-practicing Protestant."

Smiling, Eltsmann replied, "You'd probably have to make appearances with Sophie at church occasionally."

"If it's part of the job, it's part of the job. Not a deal breaker." Mark responded.

"Good. Now, once you were married, you would be called, officially, 'Grand Duke Mark von Klippenberg," and any children that you had would bear that name, not Hausman."

"Makes sense," Mark conceded.

"By law, you would not be in the line of succession, nor would you have any claim on the ducal assets should Sophie predecease you. As you may know, all property of the Grand Duchy is, technically, the personal property of the Grand Duke or Duchess, so that's protected from passing outside the direct family."

"Understood."

"As a citizen of Klippenberg, you would be entitled to your share of the Fund, beyond your salary, should you continue to work. You would also receive a stipend from the Grand Duchy for your personal work on behalf of Klippenberg, you know, appearances, consultations with Sophie, whatever. And you could use that also to advance your chosen causes, which you'd also raise money for. Plus, you would have control over the household budget, which at Sophie's direction is still being managed by her mother."

"Sounds more than fair."

"It is, Mark. We're a prosperous country, due to Sophie's ancestors, and our ruling family has always lived well, but never ostentatiously."

"That's not my style. I'm not doing this for money or power. I'm in love."

"That, Mark, is abundantly clear." She paused. "One more thing. Should Sophie die before producing an heir, we get into that whole mess that we almost had if she abdicated. But if there is a minor heir, a regent or regents would be appointed, and you would be eligible to be selected by the council, but it would not be guaranteed. Once a new Grand Duke or Duchess came of age, you would, like Charlotte Marie, be provided housing on the palace grounds at your request, and a smaller stipend, while retaining your Fund distributions."

"Again, that's very generous."

Eltsmann looked away from her screen and into Mark's eyes. "It's a lot, Mark. Don't take it lightly. Traditionally, the wives of our Grand Dukes have fallen into traditional family roles, subordinate to their husbands, focused on home and family, and charitable causes. We've never had a Grand Duchess who worked a separate job—I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it has never been done. The life you would have with Sophie, for all of its perks, can be a gilded cage in many ways, with the eyes of the country, and sometimes even the world, on you at all times. So, you need to think hard about whether you want to put yourself in that position, love or not. I don't think it is anything that you have been prepared for."

Mark was silent as he mulled over this advice, which was nothing he hadn't considered—but hearing it laid out so clearly was a little startling. "Thank you for your candor, Clara, and I will certainly think it over, but I'm not dissuaded—I just need to find the right ring and the right time."

Smiling, Eltsmann responded, "Good, Mark, I'm glad. I think you're a good man, and a great influence on Sophie. You saw something in her that many of us missed, including Sophie herself, and therefore should not only be a good husband, but a great asset to our country. I hope that you work it out, and that you and Sophie are happy."

"Thank you for your time, Clara, and for your advice and support. And remember, this meeting never happened."

Eltsmann laughed. "Right. And thank you for coming to me so that you know what you might be in for. Remember, you can't say I didn't warn you."

Mark stood, shook Clara's hand and left. As he was leaving, Eltsmann was calling in the receptionist to make sure that she understood the confidential nature of the meeting.

*

As beautiful as summer was in Klippenberg, autumn was stunning, as the trees turned brilliant colors on the mountainsides and in the valley. Sophie and Mark continued to enjoy the deepening of their relationship both in and out of the bedroom. Mark's parents were flown in to meet Sophie and Charlotte Marie, and to see the country that their son had settled in. Everyone got along as well as could be expected—Mark's parents felt uncomfortable meeting royalty, and Charlotte Marie was not used to socializing with ordinary Americans like Mark's parents. Mark had confided with his parents that he intended to ask Sophie to marry him, and they had discussed all that entailed. He even showed them the ring that he had purchased, an elegant single diamond flanked by sapphires, as a nod to Sophie's blue eyes. The ring accompanied Mark every time he was with Sophie, in case it seemed like the right moment.

At Sophie's suggestion, they had taken a weekend at the mountain lodge to experience the true beauty of the foliage. It was about 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler at the lodge then in the city, and they had to wear warm clothes, but the natural beauty and crisp air made it worthwhile. After dinner on Friday night, Sophie and Mark sat out on the porch, cuddling under a blanket and drinking hot chocolate and gazing at the incredible number of stars that were visible in the pitch black sky, unencumbered by the city lights.

Sophie cleared her throat and turned to face Mark, who could see a look of concern on Sophie's face that didn't make sense considering how pleasant it was on the porch.

"What's the matter, Sophie?"

"Um, we may have an issue, Mark?"

What now? thought Mark. Things were going so well. He pulled away from Sophie so that he could turn and face her. "What 'issue,' Sophie?"

"Well, um, I'm late. I might be pregnant."

Mark felt his stomach drop to his feet. "But how. You're on the pill, right?"

"I don't know. I guess it isn't foolproof?" She replied unsurely.

"Have you taken a test?" Mark asked, trying desperately to stay calm.

"No. I knew that if I tried at the palace, someone would find it. So, I figured I could do it here, away from everyone, you would be with me, and we could dispose of the test somewhere no one could find it."

Mark took Sophie's hand. "Whatever happens, whatever you decide, I'm with you, 100%"

"Mark, you understand that if I am pregnant, I have to keep the child—I'm the leader of a Catholic country, and I can't have an abortion, even if it is legal for others."

"I get it, Sophie. And I said that I'm with you 100%."

"We'd have to get married, like right away. You'd be OK with that?"

"100% Sophie. Whatever needs to be done."

"Should we do the test?" Sophie asked unsteadily.

"I think we should."

Sophie stood up and went back into the lodge, heading toward the master suite. Mark followed her into the large bathroom. She reached into a paper bag that had been stashed under the sink and removed a couple of different pregnancy tests. "I had Jo's assistant Elise get them for me," she told Mark, who was vaguely curious about that.

"Look, I know it's weird, but could I have some privacy?" Sophie asked as she unwrapped the first test and reviewed the directions.

Although the two of them had seen each other use the bathroom before, Mark understood that this was somehow different, and he left, closing the door behind him. While Sophie peed on the test, Mark went to his luggage and removed the small black box that he had brought with him because, one way or another, the right time had come.

Despite her nerves, Sophie managed to pee on both tests, and washed her hands while she waited. She really didn't want to be pregnant, but she had learned over the past almost two years that she could learn to accept whatever hand fate dealt her, and sometimes, things worked out better than expected. She checked her watch again, waiting for the hand to make one more circuit around the dial.