The Second Hundred Years Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Everyone froze for a few seconds. William came over and set on the step at Jim's feet. "This is Eagle's Nest Jim, or maybe I should call you Granddad."

Jim smiled a little at the granddad. "Those twin buttes in the mountains sure look the same." He looked back down the valley and at the mountains for several minutes. The people watched him but kept quiet, letting him get a feel for the place and his situation.

"I think that's about enough for your first time up," Charley said. "Let's get you back to bed."

Lewis took the handles of the wheelchair and turned Jim back toward the house. Jim looked over the doorway. "Wait," he said. "That's my totem," he said pointing above the door.

"According to the story, Iron Buffalo gave you that totem to protect your 'lodge'," William said. It's said you put it over the doorway to honor the Lakota chief."

"Until this minute, I didn't know what to think about all this," Jim said. "I thought y'all might be loco." He smiled and added, "But now I believe it's so." Pointing to the totem he continued, "Y'all could have made up a lot of stuff but that totem is real. I guess I've come home again after all these years."

The scope of who he was and what had happened to him almost over whelmed Jim. He motioned for Lewis to turn him back toward the valley. Jim sat lost in thought and none of the others intruded. He took Lewis's hand, as if to steady himself, and continued to stare at the landscape for a few more minutes. Finally he shook himself, let go of Lewis' hand, and sighed.

"Guess I'm ready to go in now," Jim said. He almost smiled and added, "Don't do much good to think on something that I can't do anything about. Just have to accept it"

They helped Jim back into bed and Charley checked his blood pressure. Nodding at the results, he left the room. As Jim got settled, William stepped close. "Get some rest. After supper we can talk some more, if you like." Jim settled back on the bed and was asleep before William left the room.

In the kitchen the four people talked about the day's events. "His blood pressure is up a little but not dangerously so," Charley said. "I don't see a reason to stop talking to him."

William nodded. "I'll tell him about the family history after supper. Lewis you come with me."

Everyone gathered in Jim's room after supper. Charley suggested that he get into the wheelchair for a little more time out of bed. "The more you can sit up or move around, the sooner you'll get your strength back."

"So what happened after I disappeared?" Jim asked looking William.

"What I'm gonna tell you are the stories I heard growing up and what I remember from when I was a kid," William said. "Chante was almost frantic. Iron Buffalo and most of his braves came to look for you. No one could find any sign of you or where you'd gone."

William took a drink of his coffee. "Your brother, William, came back from California or wherever he'd been about two weeks after you disappeared. For the next thirty years or so he helped Chante run the ranch and protected it from land grabbers. Chante lived to be almost seventy; William passed away a few years before her. Your son John, who was my father, had been in charge of Eagle's Nest for several years. I was born here on the ranch."

"So my brother finally came home, did he? My father left the ranch to me and William but he didn't want to be a maid to a bunch of cows, as he called it," Jim explained. "He took off for points farther west and we only heard from him a few times after he left. The last letter I got was from California." Jim sat for a few minutes after William stopped talking. "I think I'd like to go back to bed," he said.

Lewis helped him back to bed and everyone left the room. It was over an hour before Jim went to sleep. Around midnight Lewis slipped back into Jim's room and curled up on the small sofa. I don't want him waking up all alone, Lewis thought.

It was after daylight when Lewis woke up. He sat up stiff and sore from sleeping on the small sofa.

"I thought you were gonna sleep all day," Jim teased.

Lewis smiled, "If I'd known you were waiting on me I'd got up sooner." He walked over and turned the lamp on.

"You never did tell me how you do that," Jim said.

How do you explain over a hundred years of technological advancement in a few words, Lewis asked himself? Lewis took a deep breath and began Jim's education. He thought for a few minutes before he answered.

"There's been a lot of things invented and found since you were put in that cave. I'll try to tell you how that lamp works, but you're gonna have to accept some things on faith. Okay?" Jim nodded and Lewis started his education.

He explained about energy, using a coal oil lamp as an example. "The lamp works on another type of energy called electricity. This energy runs through wires or cables and brings power for lights and a lot of other things to us.

"Where's this electricity come from?" Jim asked. "We get a flame from a coal oil lamp because we light it with a match."

"I can't explain all that goes on but we have machines that change other types of energy into electricity. These machines burn coal or oil and some other things to make electricity. The electricity is used to give us power for a lot of things." Lewis stopped and looked at Jim. "You understand any of this?"

"Some, but it seems like magic," Jim replied. Is there anything else that's come along before I...err....woke up?"

Lewis had to chuckle. "There's a whole world out there that will be new to you. Just take things easy and we'll try to explain things to you. Anything else you want to know right now?"

Jim smiled. "I'd still like to use the privy. Will you show me where it is?"

Now it was Lewis' turn to smile. "We use what's called a bathroom. Let's get you into the wheelchair and I'll explain how it works."

He rolled Jim down the hall into the downstairs bathroom and told him how things worked. Lewis showed him how to flush the toilet and wash his hands then left closing the door. A few minutes later he returned and pushed Jim back to the bedroom.

"Can you imagine that?" Jim asked. "No more stomping out to the privy in the cold and snow." Lewis had to smile at Jim's enthusiasm about the indoor plumbing.

"Think I could eat breakfast with the rest of y'all this morning?"

"Let me check with Charley," Lewis replied. He left and quickly returned. "Charley says it'll be good for you to move around. C'mon, let's get you some clothes and go eat; breakfast's on the table."

Lewis brought Jim some of his clothes to wear. They were about the same size although Jim still didn't weigh enough to fill them out. The shirt hung on Jim and the jeans wouldn't stay up without a belt to cinch them tight. Lewis had worried about boots and decided to bring Jim a pair of sneakers. It wouldn't make much difference if the clothes and shoes were too big; Jim wasn't going to be walking much anyway.

After dressing Jim, Lewis pushed the wheelchair into the kitchen and up to the table. After greeting everyone, Jim looked around the room. He saw a box attached to the ceiling that gave off a strong light. Jim sat open mouthed as he saw eggs and bacon cooked on a big flat topped box. Dotty opened another box that was taller and took an orange colored liquid and milk out of it. He was also surprised that they were both were cold.

He watched as the others drank the orange liquid and tentatively took a small sip. "What is this stuff?" Jim asked, pleasantly surprised at the flavor.

"That's orange juice," William answered. "It comes from a fruit that's grown in a warmer part of the country."

Watching Jim closely, Lewis said, "Eat Grandfather, just eat. We'll explain all this after breakfast."

Dotty chuckled and grinned at Lewis. "It's so funny you calling Jim Grandfather," she said. "I mean you two look about the same age. I know, I know," she continued when Lewis started to speak. "Jim is really your relation but it's still strange."

After breakfast everyone, except Jim, pitched in and cleaned up. Jim was amazed at seeing water run when Dotty turned a handle. A box that you cook on, another one that keeps things cold, and water right in the house, Jim thought. Guess there's gonna be a lot of new things that I don't understand. They finished cleaning up and sat back at the table.

William poured Jim another cup of coffee. He'd been watching him all through breakfast and could see the surprise, wonder, and confusion on his face.

"Jim, Granddad, don't let all this bother you too much. I know it's all new and strange but all this is just things that make our lives easier."

"Maybe the best way to deal with it is to accept it," Lewis suggested. "Not so much how as what."

"I don't understand Lewis."

"Well when you seen something new, ask what we use it for; not how it works or where it came from."

Jim thought for a few seconds smiled and said, "You mean 'eat Grandfather, just eat'."

Lewis laughed then returned Jim's smile and nodded. Before Lewis could say anything, the telephone rang. Jim jumped at the sudden noise and looked to see where it was coming from. William hurried to pick up the phone.

"It's one of those 'eat just eat' things Grandfather," Lewis said as he put his hand on Jim's shoulder to calm him.

The phone call was for Charley. Another neighbor had cut his leg pretty bad and needed the doctor's help. "Well, it's about time we got home anyway," Charley said. "We can't stay with you two, I mean three, forever." He looked at Dotty and added, "We'll pack up and go tend to Ralph's leg and then go back home."

"You run along Honey," Dotty replied. "I'm going to stay with the Randals for another day or two. That's if they'll have me," she said turning to William and Lewis.

"Stay as long as you want or as long as Charley will let you," William responded. "You two are always welcome here."

Charley nodded and left to pack his things; Dotty went with him. William walked out onto the front porch with Lewis pushing Jim behind him. Charley and Dotty came out and he kissed her goodbye.

"I'll see you at home in a couple of days my girl," he said to his wife. She smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Don't be throwing a big party because I'm not home now," Dotty teased.

William joined Charley on the walk to the garage behind the house. "Charley, I'm askin you to keep quiet about Jim, at least for the time being. The last thing we need is a bunch of university types out here bothering him."

"He's in my care and is protected by patient confidentiality," Charley replied. "Besides I agree, the last thing he needs is a bunch of scientists pokin and proddin at him. Don't worry William."

William returned to the porch and saw that Jim had moved to one of the rocking chairs on the porch. Jim smiled at him and said, "That thing makes me feel like I'm sick or something.

Charley pulled around the side of the house in his truck and honked as he drove away. Jim jumped again, sat up straighter in his chair and stared as the vehicle move into the valley. He turned toward Lewis and saw him nod. "Eat, just eat?"

Lewis smiled at Jim and said, "I'll explain later Grandfather."

Jim sat for a moment. "We're gonna have to do something about this Grandfather thing."

"What do you mean?" Lewis asked.

"Well, William calls me Granddad once in a while, you call me Grandfather, and then you call William Grandpa. It's gettin confusing."

Lewis chuckled. "I can see where it might be."

"I have a suggestion," Jim offered. When the two looked at him he said, "Why do you both just call me Jim?"

Looking at each other William and Lewis nodded. "Works for us," Lewis agreed.

"Now what was that thing Charley was in?" Jim shook his head remembering the noise and speed of whatever it was.

William started to explain and stopped. They'd hit that same wall again; how do you tell someone about a hundred years of technological advances. He looked at Lewis and sort of shook his head.

"That's called a truck," Lewis told Jim. "It's one of the things we use for transportation."

Jim listened and looked at Lewis; expecting more. Lewis looked back and had an idea.

"There's been a whole world of advancement since you went into that cave Jim. If we try to tell you about all of it we wouldn't have time for anything else. You'd spend all your time trying to understand and learn about all of it" Lewis paused looking to see how Jim was reacting.

"Maybe the best thing to do is just tell you what and how we use all this stuff that's new to you," Lewis continued. "After a bit you'll pick things up...and you won't be so confused. What do you think?"

As Lewis was talking, William had stepped back into the house. Now he came back onto the porch. "This is one thing you won't need us to explain to you," he said. He handed a rifle to Jim. "I guess you know what that is?"

He handled the rifle with a skill that had been honed over years of daily use. "It's a Winchester Model 73, .44-.40, with an adjustable Creedmoor sight," he replied with a big grin.

"Look it over carefully. Does it look familiar?"

Jim looked closer at the rifle. On the stock there was a gouge in the wood. He ran his hand over the scar and then looked at the butt plate. On the metal plate the initials J. R. stood out.

"Is this my rifle?" Jim asked with emotion.

"Yep, it sure is," William replied. "You left it at the house when you rode off that day. It's been passed down in the Randal family from father to son. Maybe Lewis and I should give it back to the man that started that tradition."

Jim used the back of one hand to wipe a few tears away. "I fell when I was turkey huntin and put that gouge on the stock. I cussed myself as a fool for two or three days afterward," he said laughing.

"It still shoots as good as when you bought it," William said handing Jim a couple of shells. "Take a couple of shots at that white oak on the far side of the clearing, if you've a mind to. Try for that knot about half way up the trunk."

Jim quickly loaded the rifle. He pulled it his shoulder, took aim, and fired. He worked the lever action and fired a second time. Both shots hit dead center of the knot.

"Guess sleepin all those years didn't hurt my shootin none," Jim said with a smile.

Lewis returned his smile. "We promised Charley not to tire you out too much. Reckon you've had enough excitement this morning. Let's get you back to bed for a rest."

"Yeah, I'm a little tired. Help me back into the contraption will ya?"

This time William pushed the wheelchair to the bedroom and helped Jim get settled. "If you feel up to it, we'll take a little ride around the ranch this afternoon."

"I'd like that but I don't think I'm up to riding a horse just yet," Jim said.

William chuckled, "Won't have to, we'll take my truck; like the one Charley was in. All you have to do is sit there and enjoy the ride."

That afternoon with William driving, Jim on the passenger side and with Dotty sitting between them they took a short ride around the house and out into the valley for a mile or two. Lewis rode in the bed of the truck and talked to Jim through the sliding rear window.

"Sure beats bustin your rear on some ornery bronc," Jim said when they returned to the house.

Charley stopped by the next morning to see his patient. William said that he really wanted to see Dotty. Doc wasn't used to sleeping without her. He talked quietly to Dotty for a couple of minutes and turned to the three Randals.

"I have to go to a conference at the Medical Center in Prescott tomorrow; be there for two or three days. I'd like to draw some blood from you Jim and have some tests run," Charley said. Seeing the confusion on Jim's face he explained. "Now days doctors can use a little of your blood to see if everything is alright with you on the inside." Turning to William and Lewis he added, "We can do a DNA test at the same time.

"My blood?" Jim asked. "How big a cut you gonna make to get it"

Charley smiled, "I'll use what's called a syringe; no need to make a cut at all. It'll feel like you stuck yourself with a thorn; not really painful just a little uncomfortable"

"Our minds are pretty well made up about Jim," William said. "But I guess it wouldn't hurt to make sure."

Charley reached into his ever present doctor's bag, pulling out a syringe and a small glass vial. "Roll up your sleeve Jim," he ordered as he stepped closer. Before he could get to Jim, Dotty took the syringe and vial away from him.

"You always were heavy handed drawing blood," she said with a grin. "I'll do it; Jim won't have a sore arm then.

Dotty swabbed Jim's arm with a little alcohol and wiped it off with a piece of gauze. She explained to Jim what she was doing as she went along. Dotty deftly slip the needle into his arm and filled the vial. She put a small piece of gauze over the hole and taped it down.

"Is that it?" Jim asked. "I didn't hardly feel a thing."

"With all that hair on your arm, it'll hurt more when you take that tape off," Dotty told him with a smile.

"I think you're going to be okay Jim. Don't try to get better too fast; don't push yourself," Dotty said as she packed to leave with Charley. "If I have to come back because you over worked yourself, I'll tan your hide Mister." She hugged Jim and kissed his cheek, said goodbye to Lewis and William, and left with her husband.

"I'll get back to you with the results in a few days," Charley said as he walked to his truck.

"We're not as pretty as Dotty but I think we can take care of you now," William said.

For the next few mornings Jim started walking around the house with a walking stick to gain back his strength; William or Lewis was always by his side. He even walked out into the clearing in front of the house. Every afternoon they took a ride in the truck. Jim enjoyed seeing and sometime marveling at changes to "his" ranch that had taken place while he slept for a hundred years.

One morning Lewis took Jim for a ride using one of the ATVs that had a second seat. They rode toward the upper end of the valley and the mountains. Jim started looking around and asked Lewis to slow down.

"This is the way I came that morning to meet Spirit Healer," Jim said. "The trail up the mountain should be just over that rise yonder."

Lewis nodded and slowly drove to the trail head. He stopped and pointed up the trail. "The cave is just beyond the tall rock butt up there," he said to Jim.

"I remember," Jim replied. "I followed that damn medicine man all the way up the trail to the cave." He continued to look up the trail as if trying to actually see the cave entrance. "You say the cave collapsed in on itself?"

"Yeah, the cave in almost caught Charley and me."

"I'd like to go back to the house now, if it's okay with you," Jim told Lewis.

"Sure, we can go back. Are you okay?"

"Don't know," Jim replied. "I got a chill running down my back. Like someone just walked across my grave."

To Be Continued...

12